• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 6: Six Threads and a Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hated Rogue Legacy. It played like shit. I actually tried setting up 16-bit graphics to make DF look good to play Dwarf Fortress once. I got distracted after like 20 minutes of work. Your second example eludes me.

Heh, I actually really liked Rogue Legacy. It's not the best rogue-lite I've played, but it's pretty good.

You can make DF as pretty as you want, it's not going to make it any less confusing. Even with a guide I still had trouble playing it. Although, once you get it you're hooked for life.

DCSS is a pretty good rogue like. From what I've seen of Crypt the two are pretty similar in gameplay.

Is Dwarf Fortress considered a roguelike?

Anyway, for a good platformer roguelite try Spelunky.

I know it's called a rogue-lite, nerd, and yes, DF is a rouge-like. It fits all the requirements.

pack it up Persona fans
even Atlus knows Chie is best girl
Oh hey, if you were wondering what the actual 3DS case and cartridge would look like, here you go:
1UCxC2m.jpg

(mock-cartridge...doesn't work)

#ULTRA DECIMATION posted that 2 days ago

You should probably be playing Crypt of the Necrodancer in hardcore, though. I find having all the upgrades make it too easy.
Says the guy who hasn't beaten hardcore yet.

But seriously, Necrodancer is great, especially for an early access game. It's at the point where they could have just released as is and it would still be worth full price. I think that this will be my rule for my early access from now on.
I plan on it, especially after some more content updates hit so I can experience the new stuff. I hope the custom music function gets some more attention, it hardly works without a consistent steady BPM.
Really freaking good game though. Rhythm Rougelite(?) is kinda perfect. You almost never run out of content.
Heh, I actually really liked Rogue Legacy. It's not the best rogue-lite I've played, but it's pretty good.
You can make DF as pretty as you want, it's not going to make it any less confusing. Even with a guide I still had trouble playing it. Although, once you get it you're hooked for life.
DCSS is a pretty good rogue like. From what I've seen of Crypt the two are pretty similar in gameplay.
I realized you were joking a bit late, lol. The learning curve on DF is pretty intimidating, but someday I'll get around to fixing it up a bit. I just can't handle ASCII art. DCSS looks a bit rough, but ey I'll get around to it sometime.
I'm glad I'm starting to get into these games. I played Rogue Legacy and the original BOI and they didn't click. I probably changed more than the games did.
E3 day 4 I think
Ohh, alright. Thanks.

Archgan

I plan on it, especially after some more content updates hit so I can experience the new stuff. I hope the custom music function gets some more attention, it hardly works without a consistent steady BPM.
Really freaking good game though. Rhythm Rougelite(?) is kinda perfect. You almost never run out of content.

I think Crypt counts as a rogue-like (if you play on hardcore) because beats are like turns, just with a timer. I only tried using custom music once. It didn't seem worth it to me because the original music is so good. I kinda want to try playing it with a dance pad but I can't justify buying one just to use with this game and probably only a couple of times.

I realized you were joking a bit late, lol. The learning curve on DF is pretty intimidating, but someday I'll get around to fixing it up a bit. I just can't handle ASCII art. DCSS looks a bit rough, but ey I'll get around to it sometime.
I'm glad I'm starting to get into these games. I played Rogue Legacy and the original BOI and they didn't click. I probably changed more than the games did.

Rogue-likes/lites are one of my all time favorite genres. They're just too addicting. Give it some time and you'll grow to love them as well.

How's it going guys!

Talking about roguelikes and stuff.

demidar

Actually, Spelunky lacks two features that make up a roguelike. Turn-based gameplay and tile based graphics.

Yeah you're totally right, my bad.

My thoughts on the following games:

Crypt of the Necrodancer: A great game when you're still learning the ins and outs, and the rhythm aspect is pretty cool. However, once I beat the game on Hardcore I just, sort of lost interest in it (although it probably didn't help that I blitzed the game). Once you understand the cadence of enemy behaviours and develop strategies to counter them it loses a bit of its luster. The reason is twofold: Because the game is turn-based the amount of valid moves you can make is lower than real-time, BUT because the turns forcibly tick by on rhythm it also means the amount of complexity that can be thrown at you is also much lower to compensate for the low amount of thinking time you're afforded, making the game rather rote. Still a fairly good game though and I'm waiting on the forth world to be done.

Rogue Legacy: This is a strange one. I liked it, but after reflection and some time away from the game I found out I didn't (which is why it didn't make my top 10 for 2013 despite the praises it gets from everyone else). The fact that the game utilizes world leveling is one of the worst design decisions they could ever make, and that pretty much tanked my opinion on the game. Also most of the randomized traits are mere novelties and aren't very fun the second time around.

360pages

Writing is so weird.

Also, writing month is taking so much time that I can't work on some of my other projects, kind of annoying, but I want to make sure I at least finish that.

I think Crypt counts as a rogue-like because beats are like turns, just with a timer. I only tried using custom music once. It didn't seem worth it to me because the original music is so good. I kinda want to try playing it with a dance pad but I can't justify buying one just to use with this game and probably only a couple of times.
It's the only part of the game that feels kinda broken. Default music is amazing and way better. The floor ends when your song does too, so a short song makes it difficult in a very different way.
I feel inspired to go buy a GCN to PC adapter to use my Mario DDR pad now. I could hook it up to plenty of dumb silly crap for fun.

You could maybe get a PS2 DDR pad for dirt cheap. $15 pad or so and a cheap $5 PS2 to USB adapter.

I think Crypt counts as a rogue-like (if you play on hardcore) because beats are like turns, just with a timer. I only tried using custom music once. It didn't seem worth it to me because the original music is so good. I kinda want to try playing it with a dance pad but I can't justify buying one just to use with this game and probably only a couple of times.

Stepmania

Going to name the protagonist Yu and imagine Rise is the princess.

#persona #weeb #420yoloswag

I'm not going to actually do that. Zelda is pretty great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom