• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 6: Six Threads and a Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Unreal Tournament??

What happened with Halo?

what happened to halo?
The "modernization" of the FPS: ADS and sprinting.

Both break key components of Halo gameplay. Both slow the pace to a crawl. Both make the game more like COD, and not Halo.

Halo died when reach and 4 came out. Nothing can ever top halo 3. It should've been the end .
I had hope. For some reason, I thought they would listen to the mass exodus of players and return to what made Halo great.

Fuck 343. At least Epic won't fail me.

Zenfalcia

I had hope. For some reason, I thought they would listen to the mass exodus of players and return to what made Halo great.

Fuck 343. At least Epic won't fail me.

Me too.. i didnt like the idea of ruining the canon of having armour abilities before halo 1 and having all these new weapons, sure they are great for the multiplayer, but that's it. The scale was toned down so much.
i expected more giant battles for an INVASION not mini battles that mean nothing.

Edit: welp dp.

The "modernization" of the FPS: ADS and sprinting.

Both break key components of Halo gameplay. Both slow the pace to a crawl. Both make the game more like COD, and not Halo.

I thought what made Halo great was the story of MC and Humanity vs the Covenant?

I mean, I would be upset too about the 180 on mechanics, but:

343 isn't Bungie
343 will have to modernize things in order to distance themselves from Bungie.

Also, wasn't there ADS with the Sniper Rifle and Battle Rifle and Covenant Carbine?

I have an issue with the sprinting.

Also, there better be large scale battles between humans and the covenant!

I thought what made Halo great was the story of MC and Humanity vs the Covenant?
343 isn't Bungie
Also, wasn't there ADS with the Sniper Rifle and Battle Rifle and Covenant Carbine?
In terms of SP, nothing beats some of Halo 1's levels or 3, but ODST and Reach both had good ideas with poor execution.

In terms of mechanics and MP, Whether those changes were going to happen or not, it doesn't mean it isn't going to absolutely ruin the gameplay. Sprinting in 4 ruins the game more than I could've expected it too. I never even purchased it, primarily for that reason. Armor abilities in Reach rubbed me the wrong way too for including a sprint.

Zenfalcia

343 isn't Bungie

Don't forget the
flood
I was so much better when those were part of the story. It was just like a 3rd element that make the first game so different from the normal aliens vs the humans.

Fuck yeaaaaaaaaaaaah, can't wait for the podcast to hear their thoughts. I hope they at least get up to episode 14 (aka "When shit gets fucking real") by the podcast.

From what I've been reading on twitter, he should be on episode 6. In Gaim I really like how there is a
red herring
of the warring states period. If I actually knew how often the warring states were used, I would have thought Gaim was
super unoriginal and copied.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
From what I've been reading on twitter, he should be on episode 6. In Gaim I really like how there is a
red herring
of the warring states period. If I actually knew how often the warring states were used, I would have thought Gaim was
super unoriginal and copied.

Yeah, it's kinda clear that
the whole "warring states" thing was come up with in pre-production, before Urobuchi was selected as writer, and he really didn't care for the concept. It's pretty much not used at all.

Archgan

This needs to be in the new thread.
8466de4755a85708777cbb2d2e6a3e18.gif

OT 7 to be the best one yet.
I saw that gif before the I saw the video, so everytime I see it I always think they are reacting to Woolie's muscles.
To the person who talked about having the snake eaters mashed up. No one wanted it, but here it is.

Have fun vomiting.

Sorry, gummy, i didn't add yours in ;_;
I was going to say it wasn't that bad because you couldn't even hear Aaron in this version but then his voice kicked in and my ears started bleeding.

343 isn't Bungie

As someone who has never finished a Halo campaign, I know that the story did do jack for me. It was all about that extremely well done gunplay, attached to the absolute peek of mobility that a controller could produce at the time. It was the example of how to do console FPS.

With the addition of the pace killer that is ADS, which is not the same a zoon, for with zoom, now of your mobility options are taken away from you, and sprint, the game went from a great arena shooter, to another derivative Call of Duty clone. That's not modernization. That's trying to reformat the formula to something that the game is not.

ADS doesn't even make sense, as the Spartan helmets aim for them anyway.

Zenfalcia

As someone who has never finished a Halo campaign, I know that the story did do jack for me. It was all about that extremely well done gunplay, attached to the absolute peek of mobility that a controller could produce at the time. It was the example of how to do console FPS.

With the addition of the pace killer that is ADS, which is not the same a zoon, for with zoom, now of your mobility options are taken away from you, and sprint, the game went from a great arena shooter, to another derivative Call of Duty clone. That's not modernization. That's trying to reformat the formula to something that the game is not.

ADS doesn't even make sense, as the Spartan helmets aim for them anyway.

You should finish one of the campaigns.

They also added recoil, which is hilarious considering that they are wearing super suits..

Mod abuse changed the OP: guys' saying that ADS has no flinch, no movement penalty, and hip fire isn't being nerfed in any way.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=929458

So why add it? It makes people who bought Halo because it wasn't Call of Duty want to not buy the game at all.

I wonder if someone from MS is pressuring all of these bad changes on 343.

Eh, maybe one day. And lol wat?

THEN WHAT'S THE FUCKING POINT OF ADS!? Window dressing to the casuals?

The campaigns are really good for console FPS standards. There are a lot of really good moments in Halo history that are just as good as a big budget scifi film.

The quality dips in Halo 4.

Taking a game I never liked playing to begin with and changing it mechanically to be like another game I've grown sick and tired of isn't gonna make me jump into Halo 5.

Zenfalcia

Taking a game I never liked playing to begin with and changing it mechanically to be like another game I've grown sick and tired of isn't gonna make me jump into Halo 5.

There's also the story aspect of it. What is master chief going to do this time? save the universe? Go back in time? He's old and tired, give the man a rest!

Anung

Un Rama
I understood CODification years ago as it makes sense to rip off the biggest seller. But now COD is on a downwards trajectory. Their is nothing to gain from trying to win its audience by ripping it off. Halo 4 has shown that Halo fans (myself included) will bail on the series.

Zenfalcia

I understood CODification years ago as it makes sense to rip off the biggest seller. But now COD is on a downwards trajectory. Their is nothing to gain from trying to win its audience by ripping it off. Halo 4 has shown that Halo fans (myself included) will bail on the series.

What did you think about reach?

Also on a brighter note, I found a very nice artist who has some great art work.

Artist: ilya kuvshinov

Well TBH Halo 4 was a complete POS with it's story. I barely remember anything from it except
rampancy and the Didact.

How far did you get in the ones you've played?

Yeah, they added recoil in reach and4.. Which made no sense for future tech.. It's stupid since it was meant to balance for the multiplayer, and butchered the actual point of it.
I remember a library in the first game. That's it.

Never touched another campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom