• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 6: Six Threads and a Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent York

Neo Member
Geez 2Snacks, your animation skills are going to make the world explode if you keep it up.

Also damn, I missed Pokemon talk (and I mean that actual game, not the waifu discussion that almost happened, what is wrong with you people?). While not as often as I used to, I'm game for Showdown for the people who are interested, though I am much more about the lower tiers than UU and above.

Also on a brighter note, I found a very nice artist who has some great art work.

Artist: ilya kuvshinov

I'm familiar with their work. One of the best artists out there. Look at this amazing Ryuuko art she did.

matoi_ryuko_by_kr0npr1nz-d82dhcj.jpg

A friend of mine who's a big Halo fan recently did a replay of all the games in the series thus far, and said that the second half of Halo 1's campaign was essentially the environments you just played in the first half in reverse order, like DMC4.

I thought it was fucking hilarious, and gave me yet another reason to explain why I didn't like that game.

Geez 2Snacks, your animation skills are going to make the world explode if you keep it up.

Also damn, I missed Pokemon talk (and I mean that actual game, not the waifu discussion that almost happened, what is wrong with you people?). While not as often as I used to, I'm game for Showdown for the people who are interested, though I am much more about the lower tiers than UU and above.

Sure I'll beat cha later in this week
With my main man
Pikachu

A friend of mine who's a big Halo fan recently did a replay of all the games in the series thus far, and said that the second half of Halo 1's campaign was essentially the environments you just played in the first half in reverse order, like DMC4.

I thought it was fucking hilarious, and gave me yet another reason to explain why I didn't like that game.

Gotta recycle assets my man.

Doing full environments isn't cheap. VO work isn't cheap either.

Huh, did not know that.

I grew up playing FPSs with no campaigns in them at all. It always felt weird to play through one, for me.

Anung

Un Rama
What did you think about reach?

Liked the campaign. Story was a bit off but it had all the bombast I love from Halo. MP was good (not as good as 3) but there were things I didn't care for like the special abilities. Didn't find it as repugnant as I find Halo 4's MP.

Zenfalcia

Liked the campaign. Story was a bit off but it had all the bombast I love from Halo. MP was good (not as good as 3) but there were things I didn't care for like the special abilities. Didn't find it as repugnant as I find Halo 4's MP.

I see. Have you read any of the books, i'm guessing not. 3 was the best for everything MP, story, and gameplay. I haven't played Halo 4 since i couldn't care enough after what i saw of it.

Doom 2's only good merit is the super shotgun. The levels in the latter half are shit and are too labyrinthine and complex for their own good.

Unless you play Doom 2: No Rest For The Living, which is a legit series of levels that were made for the XBLA version of the game.

360pages

Fun fact, the reason why the werehog existed in Sonic Unleashed is because Sonic levels were too expensive to make and they needed to pad out the game.

Good thing Colors and Generations cut that crap and were just pure fun most of the time. Even if they ended up being a little shorter because of it.

Doom 2's only good merit is the super shotgun. The levels in the latter half are shit and are too labyrinthine and complex for their own good.

Unless you play Doom 2: No Rest For The Living, which is a legit series of levels that were made for the XBLA version of the game.

Those sections with platforming were fucking bizarre for doom.

Fun fact, the reason why the werehog existed in Sonic Unleashed is because Sonic levels were too expensive to make and they needed to pad out the game.

Good thing Colors and Generations cut that crap and were just pure fun most of the time. Even if they ended up being a little shorter because of it.

generations still had alot of unnecessary padding with those shit mini games

Yo, that art is sick.
Haven't played DOOM and Half Life 1/2? Huh. Well I'd recommend those two (three?) games over Halo.
Indeed, that art is sick.

I'm too young to grow up with Doom. My first experience with the genre was playing Quake, Starsiege: Tribes, Unreal Tournament 99, and Team Fortress Classic (badly) at local lan parties as a young baby Banana, hanging out with his cousin.

Ok, you got about 1/3 through the game, i believe. There's still quite a bit left.

Personally I think that if you get through 1/3 of the story and aren't hooked, you're not going to get hooked. I think I was around there when I gave up with story as well, I played it and just thought "Why the fuck am I not play multiplayer."

It's not that the campaign is bad, it's just boring compared to multiplayer. It isn't compelling at all, heck, fucking Terra Battle, Sakaguchi's new mobile game, has a more compelling story than Halo in my opinion. But that's okay, no one expects a compelling story from an FPS. Not that I wouldn't welcome it, in fact I would love it, but I'm not looking for story from an FPS because I probably won't get it.

Anung

Un Rama
I see. Have you read any of the books, i'm guessing not. 3 was the best for everything MP, story, and gameplay. I haven't played Halo 4 since i couldn't care enough after what i saw of it.

Yes I have. Ghosts of Onyx is the best thing to come out of the series. That's why I said the story of Reach was off as it didn't really adhere to the Fall of Reach book. I used to be a massive Halo fan (Books, shirts, collectibles, everything) but like I said my interest died with 4.

I would love another Sonic Generations-like game. Best Sonic Game I ever played.

I'm too young to grow up with Doom. My first experience with the genre was playing Quake, Starsiege: Tribes, Unreal Tournament 99, and Team Fortress Classic (badly) at local lan parties as a young baby Banana, hanging out with his cousin.
Man, my first experience with DOOM was in 2007-8 or so on XBLA. I'm only 17. Play that shit, it holds up.
It's not that the campaign is bad, it's just boring compared to multiplayer. It isn't compelling at all, heck, fucking Terra Battle, Sakaguchi's new mobile game, has a more compelling story than Halo in my opinion. But that's okay, no one expects a compelling story from an FPS. Not that I wouldn't welcome it, in fact I would love it, but I'm not looking for story from an FPS because I probably won't get it.

This isn't wrong, it's just that for a lot of people they were impressed a console FPS had a solid storyline/campaign.

360pages

Those sections with platforming were fucking bizarre for doom.

generations still had alot of unnecessary padding with those shit mini games

I thought you only needed to do one per world as I recall. But yeah, they weren't really needed.

Colors decide that they just would have six acts for each zone. Two full acts, and four mini ones. Which was probably the best way they could handle it, and the game still ended up only being about 4 hours long.

Not that that's a bad thing, I rather have a short and fun game then a needlessly long one.

croten

Man, my first experience with DOOM was in 2007-8 or so on XBLA. I'm only 17. Play that shit, it holds up.

This isn't wrong, it's just that for a lot of people they were impressed a console FPS had a solid storyline/campaign.

Yeah I played DOOM 1 around then and DOOM 2 a few years ago.

Zenfalcia

Personally I think that if you get through 1/3 of the story and aren't hooked, you're not going to get hooked. I think I was around there when I gave up with story as well, I played it and just thought "Why the fuck am I not play multiplayer."

I'm pretty lenient, i'm willing to keep playing if there's enough of an appeal from other things as well.

I played Halo as and couldn't play xbox live due to reasons. So i might have a soft spot for all the halo campaigns. It was a really nice game that at the time was fairly "revolutionary" with some decent story in an FPS.

Yes I have. Ghosts of Onyx is the best thing to come out of the series. That's why I said the story of Reach was off as it didn't really adhere to the Fall of Reach book. I used to be a massive Halo fan (Books, shirts, collectibles, everything) but like I said my interest died with 4.

I have most of the books. They're great and it pissed me off they didn't follow the book. I would've loved
playing with the other spartan 2's in a hopeless situation of fighting to try to save reach.

Zenfalcia

There sure is. I want to make avatars out of all of them.
I have a problem.

Your reaction when you found them:
image.php

These touhou ones are great.

I know what you mean, it's gotten to a point where i look at a picture and think "Damn that would make a great avatar, and saved. Too many great images to choose from.

360pages

How is a sonic level "more expensive" than a werehog level? Genuinely asking.

There sure is. I want to make avatars out of all of them.
I have a problem.

Sonic is too damn fast, they have to make a lot of level to make up for this. Take a look at this level right quick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSuQnAZZSiI

Imagine this level at Mario or the werehog speed, it's pretty much ten levels in one that you blow through in 4min. Assets set pieces everything, and Sonic is blowing though them easily.

Yes sir! I'll get to it when I get back home.

I assume the cool effects done in the exclusively Sonic levels were too expensive to make an entire game of.
The lighting shaders in the day time stages are absolutely phenomenal, and the graphical effects are superb, even to this day. I feel it looks better than Generations.

Seeing that there is a project to rip the lighting shaders out of Unleashed, and put them into Generations means I'm not alone.

Agent York

Neo Member
How is a sonic level "more expensive" than a werehog level? Genuinely asking.
I would imagine that it's because they make so much in a Sonic level that you literally don't even see for more than a second. Just watch somebody play an average level of Colors or Generations, and pay attention to all the backdrops and modeling that are not on the path you are running.

Squishy3

evil within is great, fuck the haters

the only parts that suck are two specific sections right at the end of the game and arguably the beginning but only because the beginning isn't representative of the rest of the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom