• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 6: Six Threads and a Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is much funnier then it should be. The Star Wars 3: ___________s really got me
Well considering Pat had to leave near the end I don't think they recorded their audio from his side
They may have used the audio from Pat's side when he was still there, that would explain why when the Skype call was dropped we still heard him, and then transferred over to the audio they recorded on their end. Either way It is all just speculation for something we won't remember next week

I love it when a writing spark between me and another person just erupts, and we seem to know exactly what the other person is thinking for the direction of a story.

I love it when a writing spark between me and another person just erupts, and we seem to know exactly what the other person is thinking for the direction of a story.

I've had this, but I've also had the exact opposite of this with my best friend when we went to write a comic book. We were each throwing out ideas and story lines that completely contradicted each other.

He wanted a deadly serious and realistic representation of having super powers in real life, and essentially nothing happened since it's the real world and it was just about the characters that he hadn't actually written, he just said that nothing happens and its about the characters. And I wanted do power scaling crazy super hero anime fights with insane characters having increasingly over the top fights with increasingly powerful super powers.

Eventually he said for me to just write a chapter and have him help guide in editing. I wrote a chapter. He hated it. We decided never to write anything ever again.

He's not a very creative person and hates writing, so it probably wouldn't have worked out anyway.

He's not a very creative person and hates writing, so it probably wouldn't have worked out anyway.

I mean that's kinda an important thing when it comes to writing.

I've had such a thing happen more than once to me too, where I've put a lot of work into several paragraphs of work and the other person responds with three sentences. Kills me deep in my soul to see that.

I mean that's kinda an important thing when it comes to writing.

Unfortunately I didn't know he wasn't creative at the time and the writing hatred was fine, since I was going to be doing the actual work in writing out what we came up with. We originally decided to do this because he's actually pretty good at creatively using super powers, but has absolutely no idea what works within a story or how to write one.

Like, all of his characters were based around having a singularly useful ability, but they weren't like JoJo Stands with useless bullshit where there's one a week and they move on, no, he wanted these guys to be main characters and have them use their powers smartly to get out of situations. That sounded cool, so I went along with that for a bit, assuming he had some kind of plan, but it essentially just boiled down to him coming up with a couple extremely contrived scenarios where their powers could suddenly do something that would get them out of that exact situation and it was just too much.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Unfortunately I didn't know he wasn't creative at the time and the writing hatred was fine, since I was going to be doing the actual work in writing out what we came up with. We originally decided to do this because he's actually pretty good at creatively using super powers, but has absolutely no idea what works within a story or how to write one.

Like, all of his characters were based around having a singularly useful ability, but they weren't like JoJo Stands with useless bullshit where there's one a week and they move on, no, he wanted these guys to be main characters and have them use their powers smartly to get out of situations. That sounded cool, so I went along with that for a bit, assuming he had some kind of plan, but it essentially just boiled down to him coming up with a couple extremely contrived scenarios where their powers could suddenly do something that would get them out of that exact situation and it was just too much.

Isn't there a trope for that? Where the characters just MacGyver their way out of any situation because of a power that they were saving or something?

He's good at that, he should write SAO fanfic.

Isn't there a trope for that? Where the characters just MacGyver their way out of any situation because of a power that they were saving or something?
He's good at that, he should write SAO fanfic.

It's kind of like MacGyvering, but less that they're in a situation that they then happen to have everything they need to get out of, and more that their situation is precisely catered to their power and only they could ever get out. It's fun when that happens once, or with different characters and powers, but there were like four characters doing this over and over.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
It's kind of like MacGyvering, but less that they're in a situation that they then happen to have everything they need to get out of, and more that their situation is precisely catered to their power and only they could ever get out. It's fun when that happens once, or with different characters and powers, but there were like four characters doing this over and over.

Oh, I see. Thats the world bending to accept the characters, rather than the characters being set in a world. Never do that.

^ Yup.

That could work as main characters, but you need powers that have malleable interesting uses. I mean all Josuke in Part 4 can do is punch things and heal them, but he uses it in a bajillion ways. You can have a semi-useless power, but it needs to be able to be creatively applied instead of using writing convenience.

On the surface they seem to be useless, but then they realize they can do creative shit with it.

Oh, I see. Thats the world bending to accept the characters, rather than the characters being set in a world. Never do that.

Like I said, he hates writing. He just likes coming up with powers and ridiculous situations to use them in, not stuff that would actually work in a story. I try to explain this every time he tries to help me with something, but he doesn't give a shit.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Like I said, he hates writing. He just likes coming up with powers and ridiculous situations to use them in, not stuff that would actually work in a story. I try to explain this every time he tries to help me with something, but he doesn't give a shit.

Every time you try and give constructive criticism to a friend who isn't creative or just tell them what wouldn't work they think that you have no idea what you're talking about, and that you aren't creative at all.

^ Yup.
That could work as main characters, but you need powers that have malleable interesting uses. I mean all Josuke in Part 4 can do is punch things and heal them, but he uses it in a bajillion ways. You can have a semi-useless power, but it needs to be able to be creatively applied instead of using writing convenience.
On the surface they seem to be useless, but then they realize they can do creative shit with it.

We both love that trope and try to use it as much as possible, but he goes too far in the situation specific uses and further away from the multiple applications of a basic power.

We both love that trope and try to use it as much as possible, but he goes too far in the situation specific uses and further away from the multiple applications of a basic power.
I would say just planning things out way in advance would help that problem, but I don't think you two sound like you could write well together anyway, with such different styles of writing and stuff

Mathaou

legacy of cane
This opens the question of what super power is really simple, but implemented the best in a story?

I think that Lelouch's Geass eye is the best example of this.

This opens the question of what super power is really simple, but implemented the best in a story?

I was actually about to say that before reading the rest of your post.

I would say just planning things out way in advance would help that problem, but I don't think you two sound like you could write well together anyway, with such different styles of writing and stuff

Yeah, we've accepted that we just don't write well together since we like different specific details in stories.

His eye gets
powered up through the show
, so I'm not really inclined to agree.

Death Note's first half is neat, but I think I'd go with like, every fight from every part of JoJo. Unless you wouldn't call that simple.

His eye gets

Death Note's first half is neat, but I think I'd go with like, every fight from every part of JoJo. Unless you wouldn't call that simple.

Part 3's fights so far aren't that great in that regard (I'm watching the anime never having read part 3+.) It's mainly just "Do the punch." or "Think your way out of the situation" since almost none of the main stands have powers aside from Joseph's, and even his is really poorly defined.

Part 3's fights so far aren't that great in that regard (I'm watching the anime never having read part 3+.) It's mainly just "Do the punch." or "Think your way out of the situation" since almost none of the main stands have powers aside from Joseph's, and even his is really poorly defined.
Part 3 has the main characters using them as punch ghosts. Most of the few cool Part 3 fights haven't happened yet, and things get way more creative after Araki has to keep writing new crazier stands as the series goes on.

Part 3's second half is where a touch of the creativity shines through, but Part 4 capitalizes on it and turns it into something great.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
His eye gets

Also, Avatar is awesome at this. Bending? C'mon.

croten

Part 3 has the main characters using them as punch ghosts. Most of the few cool Part 3 fights haven't happened yet, and things get way more creative after Araki has to keep writing new crazier stands as the series goes on.

Part 3's second half is where a touch of the creativity shines through, but Part 4 capitalizes on it and turns it into something great.

I think my favorite one was the gambling stand.

Mathaou

legacy of cane

Wasn't there a spaghetti punching stand or something?

Quick question about Joseph's stand: The fuck can it do? They said it only did the pictures, then it was doing maps and lasso shit, it's the least defined thing in that series. At least Star Platinum is just like "Yo, this shit is fast and strong." I mean, that's pretty lame by the STANDards set, but it's at least consistent.

croten

Quick question about Joseph's stand: The fuck can it do? They said it only did the pictures, then it was doing maps and lasso shit, it's the least defined thing in that series. At least Star Platinum is just like "Yo, this shit is fast and strong." I mean, that's pretty lame by the STANDards set, but it's at least consistent.

The vines can create spirit photos and I guess he can also use the vines with his ripple for combat. Just wait until part 5 where the main antagonists stand "just works"

Also, Avatar is awesome at this. Bending? C'mon.
Bending isn't that much of a focus in the show either, so it really works. It's not a battle show, it's just the power set characters have.
I think my favorite one was the gambling stand.
I want to see that fight animated so bad.
Both of the brothers.
Basically Araki says IDGAF, but basically it has the ghost picture thing, and can be physically used as rope. The map thing is the same thing as the spirit pictures, I guess.
They gave him the most worthless stand for comedic effect, I'm pretty sure.

It's not even a fight really which is why I love it so much
jojo-yes-o.gif
Yeah, actually a lot of the interesting fights in Part 3 are due to the antagonists. The protagonists are rather stock and have to adapt around the crazy shit. Later parts where they both have weird power sets or the antagonists have way better powers are pretty cool.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Yeah, actually a lot of the interesting fights in Part 3 are due to the antagonists. The protagonists are rather stock and have to adapt around the crazy shit. Later parts where they both have weird power sets or the antagonists have way better powers are pretty cool.

I want Jojo to have a villain that the writer of Dead Leaves wrote. That would be the ultimate WHUUUUUUUUUUUH?

ultimax

Basically Araki says IDGAF, but basically it has the ghost picture thing, and can be physically used as rope. The map thing is the same thing as the spirit pictures, I guess.
They gave him the most worthless stand for comedic effect, I'm pretty sure.
The best part about his stand is that he has to break an expensive camera everytime he takes a picture lmao

ultimax

Remember that time he used a TV to look for Dio and he basically opened the portal to hell?
Oh god that was the best. I can't wait for the second half of part 3 to come out.
If by whenever that game comes out here I am able to stream a console game, then sure. Though I don't think anyone in this thread would watch, since they'd be busy playing it too.
When P5 comes out this thread is just gonna be pages and pages of spoiler tags lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom