• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 7: FRIENDER65

Status
Not open for further replies.
But you didnt talk about great series that arent those. Some mentions, samurai flamenco, knights of sidonia, and there's more but i cant think of more off the top of my head.

Has anyone watch gatchaman crowds?

I'm sure they're great. They just don't seem interesting to me. Mechs are the only thing I can actively get excited for. I watched Jojo and Ippo on a whim and because people kept recommending it to me. It also doesn't help that I just don't care as much about anime as much as I did almost a year ago.

You need another Manime like Berserk Or Ippo

If ippo and Jojo were both done for good like HxH, I'd cancel my Crunchyroll subscription and start doing outdoor activities.

Xiraiya

I'm sure they're great. They just don't seem interesting to me. Mechs are the only thing I can actively get excited for. I watched Jojo and Ippo on a whim and because people kept recommending it to me. It also doesn't help that I just don't care as much about anime as much as I did almost a year ago.

Yet I have never been really sucked into a Mech anime, I really like Gundams and stuff in theory but the stories and characters are just so goddamn boring, it has made me almost hate that specific genre because I don't understand why they're so uninteresting, I just assumed most of them were for low attention span people who are going to be like "Wait what?...WHO CARES BECAUSE MECHS! YEEEAAAH HYPE!" and that's just depressing.

Code Geass was the only one, mainly because Mechs were secondary, I didn't even know it had Mechs in it before I started watching it.

I think it's better that way.

Zenfalcia

Do you think it's the lack of appreciation for them and the people in charge not being picky?

I agree, currently even now, it's not big enough to be appreciated. Given a few generation? Maybe? We'd be long gone by then. Worst how so?

I cant say i know much about english voice actors, might be due to how little i finish games.

Those would have been hype but we're getting the best ones already so I can't complain

That's true. The fact that it's happening and that they chose the best route is good enough

HxH is over?? Does that mean I can finally watch it now??

It's been done for over a month. Don't expect any kind of great conclusion though. The manga is in hiatus and the likelihood of the anime ever coming back is as good as dead.

360pages

... Oh Boy.. they are playing Legend of Korra? I like the game but.. i think it should be a One Off.

I do agree, out of all the action games I think Korra is rather low on the list. Though the LP will probably be short, they are already 1/3 the game and Liam is playing and has played it a bit. So chances are it will be quick.

Zenfalcia

Hmm. Not interesting in like how so? They dont instantly make you want to watch them? Or the lack of action? Did you enjoy jojo and ippo? What did you stop caring? Just out of curiousity.

Yet I have never been really sucked into a Mech anime, I really like Gundams and stuff in theory but the stories and characters are just so goddamn boring, it has made me almost hate that specific genre because I don't understand why they're so uninteresting, I just assumed most of them were for low attention span people who are going to be like "Wait what?...WHO CARES BECAUSE MECHS! YEEEAAAH HYPE!" and that's just depressing.

Code Geass was the only one, mainly because Mechs were secondary, I didn't even know it had Mechs in it before I started watching it.

I think it's better that way.

War/political drama and government talk and characters without much depth is somewhat common in mechs. And I eat that shit up because I love it. I can understand how people can be confused by I'd love that kind of stuff, the same way I'm confused about why people like watching anime about romance and slice of life. It makes no sense to me how people find that interesting.

Xiraiya

Do you think it's the lack of appreciation for them and the people in charge not being picky?

I agree, currently even now, it's not big enough to be appreciated. Given a few generation? Maybe? We'd be long gone by then. Worst how so?

I cant say i know much about english voice actors, might be due to how little i finish games.

Honestly it's hard to say, it could just be that overreacting and emotion sounds cooler in Japanese by default so even if they're not great voice actors it'll still sound good to western ears. Personally I feel like the most common problem is overreacting, people saying Japanese names/things in dubbed games/shows always sounds really fucking weird, yet I can pronounce most names just fine and it doesn't sound weird or awkward, it just sounds like a name, so I never know how they keep doing that.

But that comes back to overall lack of ability since many western VAs are just VAs, not necessarily actors/actresses or singers or anything like that who do stuff that often require really good vocal skills and use of voice.

Well that's unfortunate. It doesn't end on a cliff hanger or anything like that right?

Don't know, haven't finished it. Still trying to get over the ending to chimera ant arc.

Hmm. Not interesting in like how so? They dont instantly make you want to watch them? Or the lack of action? Did you enjoy jojo and ippo? What did you stop caring? Just out of curiousity.

The fact that I can't comprehend watching anime about real life things, when I can just watch real life things. Why should I watch an anime about romance when I can watch a real life show about romance.

And I love Ippo and Jojo. It's my 2 favorites of all time. Just hard for me to find something I love as much as that.

Shackzam

The new Godzilla games cover is rad as shit.
GODZILLA_GOJIRA.jpg

Zenfalcia

Honestly it's hard to say, it could just be that overreacting and emotion sounds cooler in Japanese by default so even if they're not great voice actors it'll still sound good to western ears. Personally I feel like the most common problem is overreacting, people saying Japanese names/things in dubbed games/shows always sounds really fucking weird, yet I can pronounce most names just fine and it doesn't sound weird or awkward, it just sounds like a name, so I never know how they keep doing that.

But that comes back to overall lack of ability since many western VAs are just VAs, not necessarily actors/actresses or singers or anything like that who do stuff that often require really good vocal skills and use of voice.

Maybe there's something special about not knowing exactly what they mean and how they are supposed to sound like. Yeah, it feels like they purposely emphasize every syllable to make it sound really weird. Maybe they just over emphasize it.

That's a possiblity. They dont do much besides VA.

Xiraiya

War/political drama and government talk and characters without much depth is somewhat common in mechs. And I eat that shit up because I love it. I can understand how people can be confused by I'd love that kind of stuff, the same way I'm confused about why people like watching anime about romance and slice of life. It makes no sense to me how people find that interesting.
Well it depends, I can understand your point because there is a default coolness to mecha Anime where as most romance/slice of life anime these days are just otaku garbage that 20 year old+ guys sit around being like "lol they're so cute xD" and my god I'm grinding my teeth just from that thought, it's retarded.

So I think it comes down to finding something that has a context that resonates with you in some way even if that genre is terrible. There are very few, VERY FEW romance animes I have ever liked, some slice of life series can be really good at sucking you in though, still not many.

360pages

Honestly, at this point in my life I just wanted dumb fun. Neon Genesis has turned me off on anything philosophical and Deep ever again. Probably the reason I wouldn't watch Monster anytime soon.

Just give me a basic plot that I can follow with fun characters with a few emotional scenes here and there and I would rate it highly. As long as something cool is happening and it's not bogged down by fake depth and knows what it is, it's fine by me.

Probably why I rate One Piece and Outlaw Star higher than some other and shorter stuff. It knows what it is and isn't afraid of it, they are adventure stories about having fun and seeing interesting characters.

And yes, I would Rate JoJo over Neon Genesis, because it might come off as surprising, but I do not care much for the human condition in my Mecha Anime.

Zenfalcia

The fact that I can't comprehend watching anime about real life things, when I can just watch real life things. Why should I watch an anime about romance when I can watch a real life show about romance.

And I love Ippo and Jojo. It's my 2 favorites of all time. Just hard for me to find something I love as much as that.

Well i am well aware of your dislike for romance and there are great series that arent romance, or slice of life, etc..

The anime about romance is an idealized version of a drama, with anime art style. I like it unashamedly. It's just something about it that makes it cute and that i'm a romantic.. ;_;

Xiraiya

Probably why I rate One Piece and Outlaw Star higher than some other and shorter stuff. It knows what it is and isn't afraid of it, they are adventure stories about having fun and seeing interesting characters.

One Piece is legitimately good though, it's not my favorite but ODA has been pretty consistant for a decade with that manga, not only that, he remembers and calls back to things that were like nothing details 400 chapters ago, and explains how different powers and stuff work in ways that do make sense at a fantasy level while keeping it an enjoyable adventure for young readers.

That takes a whole lot of skill to be able to pull that off and keep the story together., as I said, One Piece isn't my favorite manga, but I respect it a great deal and understand why it's no.1

ultimax

Well i am well aware of your dislike for romance and there are great series that arent romance, or slice of life, etc..

The anime about romance is an idealized version of a drama, with anime art style. I like it unashamedly. It's just something about it that makes it cute and that i'm a romantic.. ;_;
you like when things get lewd too right don't worry your secret is safe with me

Also good luck Mara! Get ready! It's coming up, it's coming up, it's coming up.
It's DARE.
You got to press it on you.
Maybe. I'm starting to care less about anime. My love for it kinda topped with Ippo and I just haven't found anything half as decent since (not including Jojo obviously)
My anime-watching started and peaked with Gurren Lagann. Nothing's compared except maybe Berserk, though it never will end, and now Ippo.

Everything is a desperate attempt to enjoy something as much as TTGL.
I still maintain no matter what, people should just watch Gintama.
I watched like 2 episodes and it was pretty ok. Think I might switch to the manga.

Xiraiya

I showed my older sister yesterday and she just didn't get it.
Old post because you don't seem to be around.

But I have realized that most of the Zaibatsu are the Shinsengumi

Liam - Sougo (They are almost the same person)
Pat - Toushi
Matt - Kondo

Woolie, I don't know, he'd be the huge foreign black dragon guy that shows up yelling "Fuck you!" with his arm cannon and whatnot.

Squishy3

That's basically what code geass is for me. The closest thing to rival that for me is currently Ippo and I haven't even finished that yet
get on that shit right now

shit remains good all throughout, as someone who is completely up to date on the manga

my favorite anime movie is probably a ghibli joint, but those are all good so it's hard to pick just one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom