• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 7: FRIENDER65

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you know Snorlax spelled backwards is kum?

image.php

Alfebit

Banned
I don't really like debating the whole dub/sub thing because it's just preference, but the dub for gurren is perfect to me and I wouldn't have it any other way.j

Same here. Love the Gurren dub and prefer it. But the KLK dub is just plain bad.

So do I, weirdly Liam hated it. I don't the rest of them watched it.

Same here aswell. I thought it was pretty good. Felt like the second half of the last episode.

croten

Same here. Love the Gurren dub and prefer it. But the KLK dub is just plain bad.

Same here aswell. I thought it was pretty good. Felt like the second half of the last episode.

I'll be honest I watched Gurren Dubbed the first time but I do think the Sub is better, the Dub is still fantastic and I can watch either.

Xiraiya

Dubs just always sound awkward, watching subs means I get more into a show because I'm not thinking about how bad or good they sound since I can't understand anyway and it just sounds cool when they put out emotion.

Alfebit

Banned
I'll be honest I watched Gurren Dubbed the first time but I do think the Sub is better but the Dub is still fantastic and I can watch either.

I also watched it dubbed first. Maybe that's why I prefer it but I feel like some of voices in the sub don't match their characters. Nia as a kid sounds like an adult which put me off and Lord Genome sounded too wimpy. Either way they're both fantastic.

ultimax

I also watched it dubbed first. Maybe that's why I prefer it but I feel like some of voices in the sub don't match their characters. Nia as a kid sounds like an adult which put me off and Lord Genome sounded too wimpy. Either way they're both fantastic.
Kamina's dub voice is basically the voice of god. It's so great

Zenfalcia

Maybe. I'm starting to care less about anime. My love for it kinda topped with Ippo and I just haven't found anything half as decent since (not including Jojo obviously)

You need to watch some good animes then. If you havent watched daily lives of highschool boys, you should. It also depends on your tastes in anime.. there's been a lot of romcom and slice of life moe stuff for a while.

Xiraiya

I think one issue of Subs VS Dubs comes down to the fact a lot of people are surprisingly weird about watching things in other languages because it makes it harder to get into because they're reading or whatever, some react in a sort of "I don't want to watch them foreign chinese cartoons" kind of way which causes them to never watch anything subbed.

To me I don't care, Full Metal Alchemist and DBZ are like the only two shows I remember sounding natural in dub form, I watched Trigun dubbed originally too I liked it just fine, but I much prefer the subbed version, P4 is tolerable dubbed, but only tolerable, it's awkward to listen to at times, some moments and characters sound good but it's just not nearly enough for me to play a game that long like that.

The western VA world just isn't there, voice acting is only ever fantastic when it's like Disney or Pixar movies, or Dreamworks or something on the big screen. Even that's only because they get talented singers and actors who are often naturally good at using their voice effectively as a character, and with a major film or something, they'll of course go to great lengths to nail their lines and dialogue.

This is the difference between Japan and the west, Japan has a much larger Voice acting culture, not only that though, most people who voice characters in anime are also singers and actors, most of them have some other sort of job that affects/improves their voice acting work, so it would be like if most of Hollywood an so on all did voice work in every day Cartoons and video games frequently.

there's been a lot of romcom and slice of life moe stuff for a while.
I know, it makes me want to give up on anime because it's goddamn garbage.

Alfebit

Banned
All right, we'll just agree to disagree then. Price's voice came off a bit forced to me, so since we're practically disagreeing on everything regarding the TTGL dub/sub, might as well just call it quits.

Agreed. I was going to say you should marathon the rest of KLK but I guess stopping at 20 and doing the rest tomorrow is fine. I love seeing people get hyped for these shows. Gives me a similar feeling from when I first watched them.

If you hated episode 4 of TTGL you'll probably hate episode 4 of Kill La Kill. KLK's 4 is probably way better tho.

What? No. Nobody is horrendously disgusting and off-model in KLK episode 4. It's just barely animated at all. Also good luck Mara! Get ready! It's coming up, it's coming up, it's coming up.
It's DARE.

Yeah but those fight scenes. You didn't get those in the VN.
Shirou Vs Gilgamesh is going to be the hypest thing since Takamura Vs Hawk

F/SN spoilers -
Shirou vs GARcher, Saber vs. Assassin, and Shirou vs Gil are the biggest things I'm looking forward to. And for the HF movies - Kirei vs Assassin, Shirou vs Berserker, Shirou vs Kirei and Shirou vs Saber Alter.

Zenfalcia

I agree with the voice actor culture, in japan they are highly regarded like a celebrity, in western culture they arent given as much respect and love. Also japan can draw talent from other areas/industries. There's also some emotion/lines lost in translation or misinterperation of the original script.

Agreed. I was going to say you should marathon the rest of KLK but I guess stopping at 20 and doing the rest tomorrow is fine. I love seeing people get hyped for these shows. Gives me a similar feeling from when I first watched them.

It's all a desperate effort to recapture how we felt watching the (TTGL)
King Kittan Giga Drill Breaker
for the first time. I know. I showed my friends that episode earlier today. Tears were literally streaming down my face.

croten

F/SN spoilers -
Shirou vs GARcher, Saber vs. Assassin, and Shirou vs Gil are the biggest things I'm looking forward to. And for the HF movies - Kirei vs Assassin, Shirou vs Berserker, Shirou vs Kirei and Shirou vs Saber Alter.

F/SN has some best fight scenes of all time yet they aren't animated at all. I'm so happy that this series is happening

Zenfalcia

That's the exact stuff I actively avoid in anime. Anything SoL/moe/romcom.

But you didnt talk about great series that arent those. Some mentions, samurai flamenco, knights of sidonia, and there's more but i cant think of more off the top of my head.

Has anyone watch gatchaman crowds?

F/SN has some best fight scenes of all time yet they aren't animated at all. I'm so happy that this series is happening

Wish the fate route for F/SN was happening too.
Shirou and Saber vs Berserk, Saber vs Gil and Archer vs Berserker would have been fucking amazing.

Xiraiya

I agree with the voice actor culture, in japan they are highly regarded like a celebrity, in western culture they arent given as much respect and love. Also japan can draw talent from other areas/industries. There's also some emotion/lines lost in translation or misinterperation of the original script.
You know, when something sounds really good in English, it sounds amazing, I mean the Metal Gear games became so popular in dubbed form that Kojima basically started looking at those as being more the "Default" Metal Gear cast, even though it too had some odd moments (Mainly Otacon)

I don't really think it's something that can be overcome unless gaming or anime became as big in the west as it is in Japan, since it's literally fucking everywhere, here it's like a random gig for a lot of people, plenty of good VA people who take their stuff seriously, but just not nearly enough, and some sound like they've gotten worse over time.

I really understand Matt's hype about Jennifer Hale, but I honestly haven't been really impressed with her since MGS1, I liked her well enough in 4 too, but yeah, I didn't mind her as Fem shepard but it definitely wasn't as enjoyable to me.

Shackzam

Frienders, what if they announce the next season of Ippo when the new video game releases. Maximum hype

Also my older brother got a pair of part 2 jojo boxers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom