• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 7: FRIENDER65

Status
Not open for further replies.

croten

mUPwPbZ.gif

Nicolas Cage is the face of a generation

People wonder why I don't like Liam, because of shit like on this week's podcast, he's that guy, you'll rant and say something, and even if you're exaggerating just a tiny bit, Pat talking about every ubisoft release on PC being Disasters except Farcry 3, and he's like "So not every release"

That is called being an insufferable little shit.

In arguments, its ok to qualify isn't it? To a certain extent, most of Ubisoft's PC ports aren't so great, but it is important to note that not all of them are. Ubisoft might not want to fuck up FC4 for the PC, so there is a chance that it will be ok this year as well. Unless his argumentative skills are scummy at worst, I don't think that we should dislike him just because he qualifies a point. Is it annoying when someone is trying to enter into a point of discussion?

Alfebit

Banned
People wonder why I don't like Liam, because of shit like on this week's podcast, he's that guy, you'll rant and say something, and even if you're exaggerating just a tiny bit, Pat talking about every ubisoft release on PC being Disasters except Farcry 3, and he's like "So not every release"

That is called being an insufferable little shit.

But he's right tho.

Xiraiya

This man knows
Tama set, good girl.

In arguments, its ok to qualify isn't it? To a certain extent, most of Ubisoft's PC ports aren't so great, but it is important to note that not all of them are. Ubisoft might not want to fuck up FC4 for the PC, so there is a chance that it will be ok this year as well. Unless his argumentative skills are scummy at worst, I don't think that we should dislike him just because he qualifies a point. Is it annoying when someone is trying to enter into a point of discussion?

It's not an argument, they weren't debating, Pat was talking about Ubisoft being shit, Liam is the one who tries to turn it into a debate in that scenario for no good reason. That kind of over-correction is irrelevant to the point of what Pat is saying. Obviously what Pat says is subjective, if Pat says "Everything they release on PC has been a disaster" Are you really going to sit there and be like "Wow literally every video game ever by Ubisoft has been a disaster on PC without fail 100% of the time?"

It's called splitting hairs and it's pointless, that's the kind of thing people do to purposely be a shit, it's not even a matter of being right or wrong, it goes without saying there is probably something that was fine and not a total disaster.

Now if Pat had been saying something like "Here is a list of everything Ubisoft has released on PC, every single game on that list has been a disaster every time, this is a fact" That would make more sense to be like "Well no, not everything there was a disaster" because rather than just ranting about 90% of shit being garbage, Pat would be attempting to state something in a manner that is meant to make you think of it like a fact.

I hope Matt brings Face/Off back sometime. Dan Ryckert is pushing it on the Giantbomb cast, at least.
I may not frequent Giant Bomb as much as I used to (I'll miss hearing Ryan and Vinny's voices on the podcast), but I can feel glad that Dan is doing stuff like this over there. Good on him.

Basically, I'm really shit at maintaining Friendships.

I started a job where I'm working all the time, and the only times I have to myself are after work at 6 and on Sundays.

How do you Frienders maintain friendships post-college? I suck at it.

I feel like a shut in where the only people I interact with are my co workers and my parents(when they call me to see how I'm doing).

Most of the time after work, I'm either at the gym for a couple hours or at class.

I started a job where I'm working all the time, and the only times I have to myself are after work at 6 and on Sundays.

I feel like a shut in where the only people I interact with are my co workers and my parents(when they call me to see how I'm doing).

Most of the time after work, I'm either at the gym for a couple hours or at class.
I guess were not friends ;-;

croten

I started a job where I'm working all the time, and the only times I have to myself are after work and on Sundays.

Yeah, I'm kinda the same. I have a small handful of friends (about 3 or 4) and I don't see them much. We have annual get together around Christmas which helps. I'd recommend finding something you can do with your friends regularly, like a tradition. I'm in the same sort of boat as you though.

Xiraiya

I have no idea, I can't seem to get rid of friends very easily, I have friends from Highschool who check up on me because I never call and then it feels like the 2 years that went by with no contact didn't happen or something.

Then I have people I've met on forums or whatever that I still talk to after like 5 or 6 years.

But what do you mean by maintaining? I know a lot of people have expectations for what Friendships should be like and that can cause some weird confusion when it doesn't play out that way.

Beloved

But he's right tho.

If I said "I really dislike all seafood, except shrimp", then saying "THEN YOU DONT REALLY DISLIKE ALL SEAFOOD" as a reply, is completely pointless in itself and misses the point of what I would be trying to say.

Xiraiya

If I said "I really dislike all seafood, except shrimp", then saying "THEN YOU DONT REALLY DISLIKE ALL SEAFOOD" as a reply, is completely pointless in itself and misses the point of what I would be trying to say.

Yes, thank you, you know how to get the point cross better than I can.

But what do you mean by maintaining? I know a lot of people have expectations for what Friendships should be like and that can cause some weird confusion when it doesn't play out that way.

I'm not expecting to have someone's ear 24/7, but it really blows that in order for me to do stuff with people, I have to call them and set up plans. It doesn't happen often where I'll get a call and get invited to plans.

Okingjrr

Well I'm still in school but I have this problem too.
What I do is have a meet up with friends every few weeks.
If you're looking for more frequent events, have a friend night every now and then, it doesn't have to be every night, maybe once a week or every 2 weeks, vary up the the type of evening (movie, restaurant, night activities), that way you can keep exploring and discovering new aspects of your friends. Different situations bring different discussions to keep your friendships growing and stable.

That's my
terrible
advice, hope it helps.

I honestly can't offer any advice about that, I'm in the same boat. I only really still talk to one of my friends and that is just because we both usually have steam running and use the chat. It is a shitty situation but at least you are going to the gym, there can be human contact out there.

This has been the case for me throughout my life, mainly people I was friends with at various points in school. Friends in elementary, stopped seeing each other once we went to different schools. Had a friend throughout school, and after graduation, we've not seen each other since.

Though I did have a friend outside of high school for a few years (the guy that introduced me to Needless and anime that wasn't surface level). We had regular meet ups with him and his other friends, but since moving to Redmond to go to DigiPen, I haven't been in contact with him since. Weird thing is we're both friends on PSN, but he's like me in that he doesn't typically go out of his way to maintain contact after a certain period of time passes, so it's both on us we haven't said anything.

Basically, how I deal with it is this: don't give a shit about it. Be content with having acquaintances throughout parts of your life and move on. Of course, that's only really applicable if you're like me and have no problems with being alone in the first place.

Xiraiya

I'm not expecting to have someone's ear 24/7, but it really blows that in order for me to do stuff with people, I have to call them and set up plans. It doesn't happen often where I'll get a call and get invited to plans.

Well I guess that depends, do you feel like perhaps you're being excluded somewhat? Do they go do stuff without you with eachother or anything like that?
Personally if people call me up to do something, I guess it depends if I feel like it, but I never call them up because they're generally busy with whatever is going on in their life and they know where to find me, so I don't think too much of it.

Then again, I'm not the most helpful person in this regard because I suppose I have an odd perspective on how important I think friendship is, if people didn't really want to hang out with you then they probably wouldn't usually say yes when you ask.

Do well on your tests. It will make you popular, and as we all know, popularity leads to intimacy.

ultimax

I kind of know what you're going through, even though I'm in college currently and not in the workplace. Basically I never see my friends during the semester because we are all busy. I only see them now a days during vacations like winter break, summer break ect. But when we do get together after months of not seeing each other, it's great because we don't have to hang out all the time to know we're best friends. It's basically like a maxed out social link, that shit is unbreakable.

Besides if we really want to talk we are only a text message away? Seems impersonal but it's beyond our control. School is important, and so is work. Maybe try to make plans around vacations?
i told you I was shitty at this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom