• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 7: FRIENDER65

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
This is how I feel, excluding liking KLK. The over-the-top 'hype' comedy fanservice stuff doesn't appeal to me at all.
I could like it on a basic level sure, but I won't care about it and I'd rather spend my limited time watching something I'd truly love.

Yeah, I mean, that's pretty much the point I was trying to get across. Shows like Gurren and KLK aren't "my kind" of shows. I mainly watched KLK because it was a big hyped thing and a bunch of my friends were watching it so I figured why the hell not, you know? And yeah, like you said, I enjoyed it on a basic level, but I really didn't "care" about it. It was decent, but in the end I don't think it was any better or worse than most of the other stuff I watched that season. And that's one reason I probably won't ever watch Gurren. It's been hyped up to a ridiculous level by the Zaibatsu and this thread and just the internet in general, and I know that for me it'll never come close to living up to that hype, because it's not "my kind" of show.

Ay29K.jpg

This guy gets it.

That's normal. I would love if everyone could love complicated plots, and exposition like I do, but that's okay. Different strokes.

I have really never been a fan of big action scenes. Always prefer smaller, more subtle skirmishes over the BIG ASS FIGHT.

I love both of these things equally but in different ways.

Yeah, I mean, that's pretty much the point I was trying to get across. Shows like Gurren and KLK aren't "my kind" of shows. I mainly watched KLK because it was a big hyped thing and a bunch of my friends were watching it so I figured why the hell not, you know? And yeah, like you said, I enjoyed it on a basic level, but I really didn't "care" about it. It was decent, but in the end I don't think it was any better or worse than most of the other stuff I watched that season. And that's one reason I probably won't ever watch Gurren. It's been hyped up to a ridiculous level by the Zaibatsu and this thread and just the internet in general, and I know that for me it'll never come close to living up to that hype, because it's not "my kind" of show.
I'm trying to stifle my fanboy reaction of "no but I love this please watch it".

It kinda hurts to see you judge it based on KLK though. It's put together a lot less slapshot than KLK, but if you're sure you'll dislike it, that's a shame. I still could recommend the first 8 episodes if just for a really likeable cast of characters in a well-planned plot. It's a one track mind story that knows where it's going. /opinion
If you don't get behind the mindset of the show it'll be more like an 8/10 instead of an 11/10, but it'll still be a really solid watch. Just don't discount it, backlog it. Even if that's almost the same thing.

Obviously ignore me if you're really really convinced you won't like it, cause then you just won't have fun.
I like the first anime better than the second, either though I acknowledge that second is the better of the two.
Brotherhood came off as far too sweet for me, where the first captured what I like, even if it tried a little too hard at points.
This is super right. The original's ending is a damn shame though.

360pages

I probably could never care much for something moody or depressing anymore, mostly due to the fact I get enough of that shit in real life.

So I tend to gravitate to things a little more colorful and out there.

Xiraiya

So talking with my girlfriend, we ended up talking about the scenario of what 6 actors/actresses would you have at a dinner party?

You can split it between TV Shows and Movies as being separate if it makes it easier.

So talking with my girlfriend, we ended up talking about the scenario of what 6 actors/actresses would you have at a dinner party?

You can split it between TV Shows and Movies as being separate if it makes it easier.

Reading this I realized I give absolutely zero shits about celebrities.

1. Shia Lebouf.
2-6. Hot female celebrities.

Because that sounds like an awkward good time.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'm trying to stifle my fanboy reaction of "no but I love this please watch it".

It kinda hurts to see you judge it based on KLK though. It's put together a lot less slapshot than KLK, but if you're sure you'll dislike it, that's a shame. I still could recommend the first 8 episodes if just for a really likeable cast of characters in a well-planned plot. It's a one track mind story that knows where it's going. /opinion
If you don't get behind the mindset of the show it'll be more like an 8/10 instead of an 11/10, but it'll still be a really solid watch. Just don't discount it, backlog it. Even if that's almost the same thing.

Obviously ignore me if you're really really convinced you won't like it, cause then you just won't have fun.

Oh I'm not specifically saying I won't like it. I'm sure I'd like it exactly as much as I liked KLK. But my main motivation for watching KLK was that it was currently airing and a big thing in AnimeGAF and among a few of my friends. Had I not heard about it until, say, three months after it aired? Probably wouldn't have watched it. And I mean hell, I have enough trouble these days motivating myself to watch things I *do* like. Three episodes behind on Doctor Who. Several episodes behind on the D4 playthrough. All my friends who started watching Twin Peaks way after me are now ahead of me. It kinda sucks. :lol

I probably could never care much for something moody or depressing anymore, mostly due to the fact I get enough of that shit in real life.

So I tend to gravitate to things a little more colorful and out there.

Well, same here, but I gravitate towards other things. I vastly prefer comedy to action, so that's why I gravitate more towards stuff like Nichijou or K-ON! or Hidamari Sketch or Idolmaster. More feel-good/humor stuff. That's just the kind of thing I enjoy.

I get that the idea is how they would interact together, right?

Robin Williams, Louis CK, Demetri Martin, Bill Cosby, Bill Murray, and Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear.

Ideally Jeremy makes them all drive reasonably priced cars.
Oh I'm not specifically saying I won't like it. I'm sure I'd like it exactly as much as I liked KLK. But my main motivation for watching KLK was that it was currently airing and a big thing in AnimeGAF and among a few of my friends. Had I not heard about it until, say, three months after it aired? Probably wouldn't have watched it. And I mean hell, I have enough trouble these days motivating myself to watch things I *do* like. Three episodes behind on Doctor Who. Several episodes behind on the D4 playthrough. All my friends who started watching Twin Peaks way after me are now ahead of me. It kinda sucks. :lol.
Oh so it's primarily a priority issue. That's fine. I still stress it's worth the watch, but I understand.

Gackt counts as 6 people right?
I don't know jack shit about celebreties. I rarely consume Live action media.
If not I'll choose: Kurosawa Ryohei, Takimoto Miori, Shirota Yu, Masaki Suda, and Renn Kiriyama

Robin Williams, Louis CK, Demetri Martin, Bill Cosby, Bill Murray, and Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear.

Annnnd I'm fighting back tears.

It really sucks that he was suffering and felt that he had to take his own life

Xiraiya

Oh so it's primarily a priority issue. That's fine. I still stress it's worth the watch, but I understand.

Haha that answer is both unexpected and fantastic.

And yeah, it would just be which 6 TV actors or 6 Movie actors would you want to invite and talk to etc.

That's normal. I would love if everyone could love complicated plots, and exposition like I do, but that's okay. Different strokes.

I have really never been a fan of big action scenes. Always prefer smaller, more subtle skirmishes over the BIG ASS FIGHT.

This is me. I needs my dramas.

How'd you feel about FMA?

It's basically the OG anime vs Brohood thing (settle it in Smash)

OG anime was much more serious, personal and story driven, while Brohood was just BOOM ACTION no drama because the heroes always win with nonsensical plot hax sugoi perfect happy ending(and this is coming from someone who thinks Conqueror of Shamballa is terrible)
That scene of Ed trying to survive against Barry the Chopper alone is more tense and emotional than anything in Brohood, by a large margin.

Yes, the final section of OG FMA is a huge nose dive in quality, but I'd take it anyday before forcing myself to rewatch a single episode of Brohood.
Because atleast the final section of OG FMA was focused on pathos and just having drama everywhere, even though the writing became extremely basic and contrived.
Brohood ended with a over-the-top giant pewpew amalgamation of every popular shonen boss fight for glob's sake.
Completely different appeals to different people.

I really can never talk about Brohood without going on a long tirade.

Zenfalcia

Well, same here, but I gravitate towards other things. I vastly prefer comedy to action, so that's why I gravitate more towards stuff like Nichijou or K-ON! or Hidamari Sketch or Idolmaster. More feel-good/humor stuff. That's just the kind of thing I enjoy.

How do you feel about romance/slice of life/drams stuff? ;)

Have you read Insufficient Direction? Dude seems like he'd just do Kamen Rider poses and talk about sentai all night. So, exactly the guy you want at a dinner party.

There's a copy at my library and I've been meaning to read it, but now that I know he Kamen Rider poses I'll probably grab it on Monday.

It's basically the OG anime vs Brohood thing (settle it in Smash)

OG anime was much more serious, personal and story driven, while Brohood was just BOOM ACTION no drama because the heroes always win with nonsensical plot hax sugoi perfect happy ending(and this is coming from someone who thinks Conqueror of Shamballa is terrible)
That scene of Ed trying to survive against Barry the Chopper alone is more tense and emotional than anything in Brohood, by a large margin.

Yes, the final section of OG FMA is a huge nose dive in quality, but I'd take it anyday before forcing myself to rewatch a single episode of Brohood.
Because atleast the final section of OG FMA was focused on pathos and just having drama everywhere, even though the writing became extremely basic and contrived.
Brohood ended with a over-the-top giant pewpew amalgamation of every popular shonen boss fight for glob's sake.
Completely different appeals to different people.

I really can never talk about Brohood without going on a long tirade.

Okay. Time out. What the fuck are you talking about. I've seen both very recently, and I was struck by how exactly the same they were except for two things: More jokes in brotherhood, and the different plot.

Ok maleficent is a fairy but shes designed like a demon, shes got Satan horn and gargoyle wings and stuff like seriously shes a demon not a fairy I dont care what they say.

Eli Roth
Takashi Miike
Quentin Tarantino
Stephen King
Sam Raimi
George Romero

360pages

Brotherhood reminded me of Legend if Korra...except without the recycled plot points and shit tier writing. (I don't even hate Legend of Korra...but still...)

That being said I like writing series stuff, but my more goofy/ fun series tend to be higher in quality

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Great taste in wall paper. Now, how interested would you be into reading feel good mangas? :3 i have read a lot and would love to share.

Hmm, maybe. I'm not super huge on manga but I'd take recommendations, I suppose. Can't promise I'd read them, but still.

Also, no joke, I loved Toradora so much that I was super depressed for like a week after I finished it. And there's one particular scene that still makes me cry like a huge babby.

I wish I actually knew of 6 actors/actresses.

Unless shit tier e-celebs count. Then the zaibatsu, Max and Jantran.

Billy West, Gilbert Gottfried, Louis CK, Norm MacDonald, Nic Cage, and Bill Murray.

I would keep all the leftovers and give them to SWERY after the party

Zenfalcia

Hmm, maybe. I'm not super huge on manga but I'd take recommendations, I suppose. Can't promise I'd read them, but still.

Also, no joke, I loved Toradora so much that I was super depressed for like a week after I finished it. And there's one particular scene that still makes me cry like a huge babby.

It's ok. I dont expect you to become super big into it. I'll just pick the best of the bunch and see if you like them. Now, do you want really endearing stories or very cute romance or drama? Also completed or ongoing?

Which scene was it? Was it one
f yhe rejection scenes? Or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom