• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 7: FRIENDER65

Status
Not open for further replies.
Melee was stolen by Sakurai from everyone's homes in order to make people realize it was the worst one of them all.

Mine is fiercely guarded by my attack fish and fireproof lockbox.

Melee is so good that it's actually the worst one. Brawl was a step in the right direction

I just heard the news that my Grandmother has died.

I won't be much for the next couple of days guys.

Sorry to hear that man.

Was I the only one who thought *insert character here* had an extremely boring social link?

No.

360pages

The P1-P2 era were much simpler
and better
times.

Nah, honestly I liked how Persona evolved into P3 and P4.

The other two felt like SMT light, without enough differences to warrant their existence outside the main line of games. They have great stories, but I think the overall lighter tone benefited the series more.

The other two felt like SMT light, without enough differences to warrant their existence outside the main line of games. They have great stories, but I think the overall lighter tone benefited the series more.

Obviously they benefited. They sold way more. Throw waifus into anything and Japan will eat it up.

I would argue about persona 2 being "SMT light" but I would rather throw up than discuss anything about persona 3/4.

I'm real happy Smash 4 is regressing back to the wrong direction, hopefully it gets even worse with the next game.

Smash 4 is gonna be so terrible. I hope it's just as bad as melee was, except with even more content to make it the total package of just pure garbage.

I dunno man. SMT games didn't have this much character dialogue and such. Persona, even here, feels like it's supposed to be a more casual game for people who didn't enjoy how "hardcore" SMT is.
I'm real happy Smash 4 is regressing back to the wrong direction, hopefully it gets even worse with the next game.
If a game got worse than Melee I would die of happiness. I would love to play a game that terrible.

ultimax

I wouldnt call P3 "lighter in tone" exactly, but I do think P4 has bad writing, and im not a fan of the characters becoming best friends so easily. Also characters in P4 get little to no character development after they are first introduced, unlike in P3 every character grows throughout the entire story

I guess you can call it preference, but i do think the darker tone is better.

360pages

Obviously they benefited. They sold way more. Throw waifus into anything and Japan will eat it up.

I would argue about persona 2 being "SMT light" but I would rather throw up than discuss anything about persona 3/4.

Smash 4 is gonna be so terrible. I hope it's just as bad as melee was, except with even more content to make it the total package of just pure garbage.

Well it's more due to the fact that there are a lot of SMT sub series (Not a lot of them are used anymore, but still) Between Demi kids and a few others, I can see why at the time Persona was looking into a small overhaul to attract more people.

So I can see why they decided that if you wanted a really seriously themed Story the main series is better. (Not going to say the main series even have better stories considering that SMT mainline does awful job at characterizing any of its characters and the story is pretty much just about choices) While the Persona series is for those who want something light hearted and more character driven.

Jman014

SBolVkQ.gif

Oh look it's Lyn. Get hype everyone.

360pages

I wouldnt call P3 "lighter in tone" exactly, but I do think P4 has bad writing, and im not a fan of the characters becoming best friends so easily. Also characters in P4 get little to no character development after they are first introduced, unlike in P3 every character grows throughout the entire story

I guess you can call it preference, but i do think the darker tone is better.

Well, compared to SMT it's super light. Though SMT games don't really tend to focus on story and my about characters choices. SMT IV was the most story heavy of the main series and even then you felt like huge sections of the characters backstories and motivations were cut.

A new character s introduced with a portrait and everything and then dies five minutes later. That's not shocking the player showing anyone can die at anytime, that's confusing them why you bothered wasting a desgin.

Well it's more due to the fact that there are a lot of SMT sub series (Not a lot of them are used anymore, but still) Between Demi kids and a few others, I can see why at the time Persona was looking into a small overhaul to attract more people.

So I can see why they decided that if you wanted a really seriously themed Story the main series is better. (Not going to say the main series even have better stories considering that SMT mainline does awful job at characterizing any of its characters and the story is pretty much just about choices) While the Persona series is for those who want something light hearted and more character driven.

Not really. If you want to see better gameplay, you can go to SMT. Mainline SMT games are about their gameplay more than anything. They do have dark plots, but they're so nothing I wouldn't even call it a story. The sole reason new persona sells more is not because of its lighter plot, but it's social link/waifus (or basically it's "anime"). There's literally no other reason. Persona 3 was that awkward transition between 2 and 4 where they didn't know if they wanted to be a more character focused/story driven plot or the heavily anime influenced game persona 4 is.

And it's not about being a lighter tone vs darker tone. Persona 2 has plenty of light hearted moments, and doesn't get darker until you actually make significant progress into the game.

And since every sub genre of SMT is currently dead except for Persona (and while I appreciate Atlus for porting all the old ones to ps2) yes I'd very much like to see something else.

360pages

Not really. If you want to see better gameplay, you can go to SMT. Mainline SMT games are about their gameplay more than anything. They do have dark plots, but they're so nothing I wouldn't even call it a story. The sole reason new persona sells more is not because of its lighter plot, but it's social link/waifus (or basically it's "anime"). There's literally no other reason. Persona 3 was that awkward transition between 2 and 4 where they didn't know if they wanted to be a more character focused/story driven plot or the heavily anime influenced game persona 4 is.

And it's not about being a lighter tone vs darker tone. Persona 2 has plenty of light hearted moments, and doesn't get darker until you actually make significant progress into the game.

And since every sub genre of SMT is currently dead except for Persona (and while I appreciate Atlus for porting all the old ones to ps2) yes I'd very much like to see something else.

Eh...I don't even think SMT IV gameplay was even that good compared to even some other RPGs that came out on the 3ds (Specifically the EO series) it also lacked the atmosphere that SMT 3 had, I'd say that SMTIV was in an awkward area where it didn't know if it wanted to be an isolated game or a story one.

With all that said, I think it would be better for them to make another sub series rather than changing persona back to 1-2 ways. SMT tried that with 4 and I think it's over all a worse game than 3

Eh...I don't even think SMT IV gameplay was even that good compared to even some other RPGs that came out on the 3ds (Specifically the EO series) it also lacked the atmosphere that SMT 3 had, I'd say that SMTIV was in an awkward area where it didn't know if it wanted to be an isolated game or a story one.

With all that said, I think it would be better for them to make another sub series rather than changing persona back to 1-2 ways. SMT tried that with 4 and I think it's over all a worse game than 3
Atmosphere gameplay and music are the high points of SMT games for me. (Note that most people wouldn't stomach EO.) SMT was like the previous games in Strange Journey, is the weird part, and that game pulled it off really well.

If a game got worse than Melee I would die of happiness. I would love to play a game that terrible.

Aw yeah, I can't wait to just bathe in all this trash. Here's hoping the balance patches make it worse too.
A game worse than Melee would be a dream come true.

Oh look it's Lyn. Get hype everyone.

Project M is just too dang cool, her counter concept is too hype.

And add me to the group who wants a more story heavy SMT game that isn't like Persona 3/4. No waifus pls

I can't really say without playing nocturne, but I enjoyed 4. I thought it was a great RPG. The map fucking blows, but the gameplay itself is very SMT and the game had a lot of demons. I didn't like how getting the normal ending is such a bitch to do though.

And I'm not really confident in Atlus to make another game like 2. I doubt any of the writers on staff could write something as good as that since I haven't been exactly impressed by the writing in any recent Atlus game. Unless they get the Catherine guys to do it.

Break Record is coming sometime this decade. I wonder if that horrible Anime killed the popularity somewhat.

Please be excited for Persona 4: Racing.......

T___T

360pages

Atmosphere gameplay and music are the high points of SMT games for me. (Note that most people wouldn't stomach EO.) SMT was like the previous games in Strange Journey, is the weird part, and that game pulled it off really well.

I don't know, in terms of design pacing and overall structure I think EO4 is the far better game compared to SMT IV. I think Strange journey is also better than SMTIV. (Not saying SMTIV is a bad game, but it felt very scattered with a lot of ideas and none of the fully realized)

Aw yeah, I can't wait to just bathe in all this trash. Here's hoping the balance patches make it worse too.
A game worse than Melee would be a dream come true.

Project M is just too dang cool, her counter concept is too hype.

And add me to the group who wants a more story heavy SMT game that isn't like Persona 3/4. No waifus pls

Project M is pretty cool, but with smash 4 coming out I don't think I could ever go back to that, even with Lyn being one of my favorite fire emblem characters.

ultimax

Project M is pretty cool, but with smash 4 coming out I don't think I could ever go back to that, even with Lyn being one of my favorite fire emblem characters.

6 days till promised land. now we just gotta wait for the Dio Brando day 1 DLC, and the day 1 patch that removes Dark Pit, and replaces Sonic with Shadow

360pages

I know it's odd, but I do think the stories in the Persona series is better than the stories in the SMT series. Mostly due to the fact that the Persona series even 3 and 4 actually have a plot with characters.

SMT has the most basic of a story, there is a beginning middle and an end to them, but rarely does anything of note really happen between major points. I actually wouldn't mind this, after all I love the EO series which does this quite often. But I also feel that SMT IV didn't really give me enough freedom to imagine certain things, but didn't give me enough story for me to care all too much.

The Neutral ending was really the first time the game made me feel much of anything considering the Chaos route and Law route weren't that interesting.

I can't really say without playing nocturne, but I enjoyed 4. I thought it was a great RPG. The map fucking blows, but the gameplay itself is very SMT and the game had a lot of demons. I didn't like how getting the normal ending is such a bitch to do though.
Do you want a game that solves all your complaints?
Play Nocturne. It's kinda da bess.
I know it's odd, but I do think the stories in the Persona series is better than the stories in the SMT series. Mostly due to the fact that the Persona series even 3 and 4 actually have a plot with characters.
SMT has the most basic of a story, there is a beginning middle and an end to them, but rarely does anything of note really happen between major points. I actually wouldn't mind this, after all I love the EO series which does this quite often. But I also feel that SMT IV didn't really give me enough freedom to imagine certain things, but didn't give me enough story for me to care all too much.
The Neutral ending was really the first time the game made me feel much of anything considering the Chaos route and Law route weren't that interesting.
You're comparing a series trying really hard to have an interesting plot and characters, and one that usually doesn't give a fuck.
SMT4 is an exception in attempting a story, not the rule. Strange Journey is probably one of the best mainline plots, despite not being a mainline game in name.

360pages

Do you want a game that solves all your complaints?
Play Nocturne. It's kinda da bess.

You're comparing a series trying really hard to have an interesting plot and characters, and one that usually doesn't give a fuck.
SMT4 is an exception in attempting a story, not the rule. Strange Journey is probably one of the best mainline plots, despite not being a mainline game in name.

Well, I'm more talking about 4, I think 3 is a great game along with Strange Journey.

But I feel that SMTIV was made to appeal to a wider audience in terms of looks and story. If you can't tell a story I'd rather have no story. I mean I loved FF1, and I'm still confused about that ending.

demidar

How is that odd? The Persona series deliberately puts more emphasis on story and characters than the SMT series, particularly with 3 and 4 (and likely 5 as well).

Well, I'm more talking about 4, I think 3 is a great game along with Strange Journey.

But I feel that SMTIV was made to appeal to a wider audience in terms of looks and story. If you can't tell a story I'd rather have no story. I mean I loved FF1, and I'm still confused about that ending.
Well, I mean I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying you're comparing a story focused game to one that almost disregards it. SJ and Nocturne being actually pretty solid in terms of their plot, but pretty obviously inferior.
THESE SENTENCES HURT MY BRAIN

I'm not even this biased against nintendo
psst, read the context.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom