• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 7: FRIENDER65

Status
Not open for further replies.

360pages

Getting back to the best friends.

The Naruto vid still confuses me honestly, I can understand them not liking the series. But that goes back to. A. why did they play the game, and B if they knew they weren't going to play the game or at least give it a try, why bother.

Though, once again, this is me going back to the fact that I'm reading far too much into a 15 min video that should be taken at surface value at most.

Setting up Dolphin on Linux is not a fun time atm.
Nah clones are free and real new characters are $10.
Clones are better than skins, and people by skins without a second thought.
We just need a Persona LP in General.
Eh. That would be kinda terrible. They would need to be extremely invested, and Chrono Trigger falls into the trap of that when it has an sort of extended sequence of fights.

The Naruto vid still confuses me honestly, I can understand them not liking the series. But that goes back to. A. why did they play the game, and B if they knew they weren't going to play the game or at least give it a try, why bother.

Though, once again, this is me going back to the fact that I'm reading far too much into a 15 min video that should be taken at surface value at most.
(It's almost like Machinima told them to play it)

About the caestus having terrible hitboxes? That's true. Played the whole game for myself and some bosses/enemies were way harder than they should have been because I couldn't hit them more than once. I had to even switch weapons when I
fought Vendrick because hitting his legs were impossible to hit

But that's not my point. I know it's true too.

It's Woolie LPing through the game blind and Pat is essentially building his character for him instead of letting him make his mistakes and cutting out bad footage.

I'd prefer the latter.

A. They hate David Cage games but they still played the entire series. They don't play everything they like, even if it recently feels like they have been.

B. They didn't play it to get into it, they played it for videos because they always do recent games in the machina videos, and Naruto just happened to fit into their dumb ideas with Woolie's undying love for it.

You really are reading too much into it.

I believe they thought it was a good video due to people associating Woolie with being such a Naruto fan, it might be funny.

Its the same with any other Machinima/Assassin's creed video. It recently came out and wanted to put their commentary of how funny/good the game is.

Setting up Dolphin on Linux is not a fun time atm.

I did it once, but I'm not doing that again since I had to get a new hard drive.

Zenfalcia

How they present information is different though, that's the key for me.

yeah... It also seems like pat actually knew more, even if it wasnt all right.

Actually, it isn't. That ruins part of the LP for me with DS2.

Pat is talking about most of the stuff he knows as an authority & Woolie is being led to believe only Pat's way of playing is the right way to play DS.

That bothered me when the Caestus' were switched out because Pat had a problem with it.

Yep, it kinda made me sad they didnt bother switching up the gear for the DLC so it became a rehash of the main game.

Xiraiya

I feel like Woolie knows, he did make a bit fun of him in the sunset overdrive video ( I think it was in that one)

I never care when Pat is wrong because if he finds out he's just like "Oh well fuck me then I'm an idiot", but someone like Liam, he's like "Oh well whatever, i guess" or he'll be like "Well I still think this because yeah it's charming EH" and it's like, no, you correct everyone on the tiniest insignificant stuff to be a shit, you will acknowledge you know nothing and you will live with it.

But oh well, that's just how it comes across to me in tones and attitude.

yeah... It also seems like pat actually knew more, even if it wasnt all right.
Precisely, Pat knows better usually, he just spouts off whatever in the moment.

Oberon

Banned
I just realized how long Storm 2 and 3 story modes are, both are about 8-12 hours long, which is pretty good considering they are pretty much Mini RPG's, but instead of random battles you just go from point to point doing fights.

That being said, those games aren't good LP material considering how long they are, and while they do give a few extra fights here and there so it won't be just a few big fights it would make horrible LP material.

Just until recently, I was used to fighting games having a lot of single player content, like dragon ball budokai games , smash and Naruto Ninja storm. And when I bought P4 Arena, I was pretty bumped by the lack single player content. I know, that's how most fighting games are but, woof!

Man I thought it was just a minor annoyance that Liam doesn't know that people can lightning bend in that world, but everyone is tearing him apart for it in the comment section.

Do not read the comment section!

It's Woolie LPing through the game blind and Pat is essentially building his character for him instead of letting him make his mistakes and cutting out bad footage.

I'd prefer the latter.
That's just a issue of needing to put out episodes and make money doing it. Otherwise it'd be a ton more work and would require a lot more effort on both sides.

Do I wish they would put out that kind of effort? Very much so, but I get why they don't. Especially since they both did Japan trips.
I did it once, but I'm not doing that again since I had to get a new hard drive.
I'm giving up. I've never tried Project M and I don't wanna miss a friender battle. Going back to Windows. Oh noes.

I'd prefer the latter.

The latter is much more time consuming from an editing perspective. That's why the mailbag died. I'll take the former over a canceled LP because they didn't have enough time to edit it. Also, people would complain to death if Woolie just did what he wanted and he fucked up.

Maybe for the eventual DS1 LP, since Woolie knows a lot more about Dark Souls, he'll be able to play the game from his own perspective without much guidance other than a direction for when he's lost.

croten

Because people are allowed to not like the things you do.

360pages

Well I can see both of those points. Though I'm more leaning to the fact that Machinima told them to play it.

Though it always irritated me when someone plays a game that they really don't understand and make a judgement of it. Seen a lot of that in the Revengence reviews among other games.

Even with the David Cage games, at least they knew how to play it. Though I'm just a little salty.

Because Woolie. That's the simplest explanation.

Shackzam

Okay, I read like 25 more chapters of prison school and now I'm wondering how I ended up all these scenarios. Also, what is with all the yaoi going on in prison school.

croten

Well I can see both of those points. Though I'm more leaning to the fact that Machinima told them to play it.

Though it always irritated me when someone plays a game that they really don't understand and make a judgement of it. Seen a lot of that in the Revengence reviews among other games.

Even with the David Cage games, at least they knew how to play it. Though I'm just a little salty.

Well of course they didn't like it, they were going in biased and obviously didn't find the gameplay good enough to make up for their dislike of Naruto. Do you really expect someone who actually hates Naruto to get into the Ninja Storm games?

Xiraiya

Because people are allowed to not like the things you do.

There is a difference between being like "This is not for me, I don't like this series" and being like "LOOOL NARUTO LOOK AT THAT GUY GO KILL HIM HAHA NINJAS ahhh this is dogshit, THIS'LL BE A TREAT!!"

When it's like one of the best anime looking games out recently, but I've discussed this already, Pat commented on the gameplay feeling fine, but Matt when he gets on a roll will refuse to even do that "No but Naruto tho, it's shit *simpsons quote*" and then Pat's attempts to point out what is there and decent are thwarted for the rest of the video.

What can we do, we all have flaws, them getting over-excited in bashing stuff and wondering why it causes a reaction is their biggest one.

Honestly I could really only have that extreme a reaction if the game I was playing was just broken as fuck in every way and was just utterly unplayable trash, which I think would be rare.

Those games are all round great even if you don't care for the series.

The latter is much more time consuming from an editing perspective. That's why the mailbag died. I'll take the former over a canceled LP because they didn't have enough time to edit it. Also, people would complain to death if Woolie just did what he wanted and he fucked up.

Maybe for the eventual DS1 LP, since Woolie knows a lot more about Dark Souls, he'll be able to play the game from his own perspective without much guidance other than a direction for when he's lost.

IF Woolie had he fair share of trouble in DS2, I cant wait for him to experience the jank in DS1 LOL.

Oh man, he's gonna be a salty fucker when he has to work his way to Anor Londo.

Oh God, Project M feels like butter. This game is so good.

IF Woolie had he fair share of trouble in DS2, I cant wait for him to experience the jank in DS1 LOL.

His lack of aggressiveness is going to get him murdered in DS1. Mid game bosses figure that you have already conquered your movement skills.

The only way to make O&S harder is to try and turtle them.

360pages

Well of course they didn't like it, they were going in biased and obviously didn't find the gameplay good enough to make up for their dislike of Naruto. Do you really expect someone who actually hates Naruto to get into the Ninja Storm games?

No, but if that was all they were going to do with the game, I'd rather get a half decent episode than a waste of time. Like I said, it was a short episode and not a whole LP. (Because I probably wouldn't have been able to take it at that point)

But if the entire episode was just how much they hated Naruto without actually really giving a reason or playing the game decently, then it's Gamegrumps levels.

I would do the same thing if they played any game just to bash on it without reason.

Oberon

Banned
Okay, I read like 25 more chapters of prison school and now I'm wondering how I ended up all these scenarios. Also, what is with all the yaoi going on in prison school.

In what chapter are you precisely?

U luv id tho!
It's the funniest part of the escape too, but the one later on is great too,
ohh lubu-dono~

What distro are you using? Apparently in Ubuntu you could just use a deb and install a few packages. I dunno why I had so much trouble compiling from source.

CrunchBang right now. Dunno why the deb hates me, but I assume that some dependency is mad. Getting steam working awhile ago was a bitch.
No, but if that was all they were going to do with the game, I'd rather get a half decent episode than a waste of time. Like I said, it was a short episode and not a whole LP. (Because I probably wouldn't have been able to take it at that point)

But if the entire episode was just how much they hated Naruto without actually really giving a reason or playing the game decently, then it's Gamegrumps levels.

I would do the same thing if they played any game just to bash on it without reason.
It's the machinima episode formula, same as always. It's much more focused on quick jokes than any attempt to play the game. It's a bad demonstration for people that like the games.

Xiraiya

I think Woolie may be salty at first but would eventually come to prefer DS1 more, because the controls and movements etc. are so much smoother and tighter, they're really on point, once he realizes that, it will feel amazing for him.

I can't wait to see what kind of build woolie's gonna go through in DS1.

There is a difference between being like "This is not for me, I don't like this series" and being like "LOOOL NARUTO LOOK AT THAT GUY GO KILL HIM HAHA NINJAS ahhh this is dogshit, THIS'LL BE A TREAT!!"

When it's like one of the best anime looking games out recently, but I've discussed this already, Pat commented on the gameplay feeling fine, but Matt when he gets on a roll will refuse to even do that "No but Naruto tho, it's shit *simpsons quote*" and then Pat's attempts to point out what is there and decent are thwarted for the rest of the video.

What can we do, we all have flaws, them getting over-excited in bashing stuff and wondering why it causes a reaction is their biggest one.

Honestly I could really only have that extreme a reaction if the game I was playing was just broken as fuck in every way and was just utterly unplayable trash, which I think would be rare.

Those games are all round great even if you don't care for the series.

Alright calm down guys, its just a dumb video. I like the games too, but comparing them to gamegrumps just because of a 15 minute video is showing the same level of ignorance you're claiming they show

He should just skip that altogether and play Demon's Souls, the best Souls game.

Or go one step further and play Shadow Tower Abyss.

Faith obviously.

I have a feeling that Pat would try to push him to a Dex build, but I agree that he should do faith. Faith would be pretty cool though since seeing OG Woolsworth actually work in an unnerfed environment would be awesome.

Ew.

As long as he stays away from a strength build, everything will be gravy.

You'd rather see a sorcerer? Or a dex build like everyone else does? Or even....pyro? Now that's ew.

Xiraiya

I didn't say he "should" do a Faith build, just that he most likely will because it's easy and actually really effective in Dark Souls 1 still.

360pages

I can't wait to see what kind of build woolie's gonna go through in DS1.

Alright calm down guys, its just a dumb video. I like the games too, but comparing them to gamegrumps just because of a 15 minute video is showing the same level of ignorance you're claiming they show

Well, to be fair they have a tendency to do that a lot. Not only that, they have great content, but finding a Video far Below average even compared to their other Machinima episodes and pointing that out isn't really ignorant, just showing the flaws of it.

I know the Legend of Korra LP is going to be flawed like crazy, because a lot of it will be made up of Liam looking past a lot of the games flaws because it is15$ despite there being a lot wrong with the game over all besides that.

Well, to be fair they have a tendency to do that a lot. Not only that, they have great content, but finding a Video far Below average even compared to their other Machinima episodes and pointing that out isn't really ignorant, just showing the flaws of it.

So because they don't always have great videos they're gamegrumps. Ok.

360pages

So because they don't always have great videos they're gamegrumps. Ok.

I never said they were gamegrumps, but that video was on Gamegrumps level. I never even said they were getting worse than gamegrumps and outside of that one statement never really took it further than that.

I know the Legend of Korra LP is going to be flawed like crazy, because a lot of it will be made up of Liam looking past a lot of the games flaws because it is15$ despite there being a lot wrong with the game over all besides that.

It's really the same thing as every other Machinima Episode.

That's the thing, though, this wasn't a quicklook or an episode or anything. It was a machinima video. Those are in no way made to examine the game, they're just jokes. They literally played the game to bash on it for no reason. If you don't like it, don't watch the machinima videos.

You'd rather see a sorcerer? Or a dex build like everyone else does? Or even....pyro? Now that's ew.

It's more that the beginning of a faith build is so boring, especially collecting Sunlight Medals.

Pyromancy can be fun, but it suffers from the same problem as Sorc builds, the most effective way to play isn't the most fun way to play.

Jman014

That's the thing, though, this wasn't a quicklook or an episode or anything. It was a machinima video. Those are in no way made to examine the game, they're just jokes. They literally played the game to bash on it for no reason. If you don't like it, don't watch the machinima videos.

I don't mind the bashing. I've never watched Naruto or played any of the games so it's fine by me.

I never said they were gamegrumps, but that video was on Gamegrumps level. I never even said they were getting worse than gamegrumps and outside of that one statement never really took it further than that.

Its a dumb machinima video, not a Giant Bomb quicklook. They're not supposed to go into the mechanics of the game or get into the naruto lore. Its an entertaining video for everyone except the people who take the content of their videos too seriously. I enjoy FF13, but I'm not running around calling their FF13 machinima videos GG levels of bad because I didn't like how they played the game.

It's more that the beginning of a faith build is so boring, especially collecting Sunlight Medals.

Pyromancy can be fun, but it suffers from the same problem as Sorc builds, the most effective way to play isn't the most fun way to play.

Well to be fair, its kind of hard to get almost any kind of build going outside of dex from the beginning of the game. And that's only if you know to kill the Merchant in Undead Burg for his katana.

Liam's Misformation < Pat's Misinformation. I give Liam a Pass because he didn't watch Season 2
I don't want to start another shitstorm, but

I am a little confused why they thought playing Korra was a good idea. I know it's pretty recent, but that shouldn't factor into the decision of a good LP game. After having played it I'm surprised they thought a game that's very restrictive on a first playthrough. Add in that they can't geek out over the show, and it's disappointing for people who don't know what they're watching or hardcore Avatar fans. A quick look of a second playthrough would be much more impressive and impress people who don't know about the game.

Fair enough, I probably will just shut off my brain more often for those videos from now on. Try not to take it too seriously.

That's the best way to enjoy all their videos honestly. Trying to analyze too deep into what they say in their videos would just make it less enjoyable.

Now their podcast where they're actually talking about their opinions of games outside of their commentary for their videos, that's the place to talk about why their opinions are wrong and why Liam is dumb.

Jman014

I am a little confused why they thought playing Korra was a good idea. I know it's pretty recent, but that shouldn't factor into the decision of a good LP game. After having played it I'm surprised they thought a game that's very restrictive on a first playthrough. Add in that they can't geek out over the show, and it's disappointing for people who don't know what they're watching or hardcore Avatar fans. A quick look of a second playthrough would be much more impressive and impress people who don't know about the game.

Eh it's fine. I think only Pat is caught up with the show. Liam has only seen book 1, Matt has seen books 1 and 2 and Woolie never watched LoK or ATLA except for the first two episodes.

croten

I think they wanted to dispel the 3/10 reviews it was getting by showing off how it's meant to be played, but I agree with you. I don't find this LP very interesting even though I really like Avatar and the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom