• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 7: FRIENDER65

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okingjrr

Hey guys, I beat MGR. Boy does it feel satifying!

Fuck flies. You should have put it down instead of saving it.
No best friends moment will ever beat
Armstrong: I have a dream!
Me: What?
Pat: What?
Raiden: What?
Everyone loses their shit
Everyone in my household was watching me play the final battle.
I lost my shit when that part happened.

You know what? I'm gonna watch that best friends episode right now.

croten

I don't understand the need to study, just pay attention in class and they tell you pretty much everything on the test, and if they don't then they've given you enough information in the test to figure it out. This shit isn't hard people

Maybe not for you but some of us have trouble knowing everything.

Okingjrr

I don't understand the need to study, just pay attention in class and they tell you pretty much everything on the test, and if they don't then they've given you enough information in the test to figure it out. This shit isn't hard people

Maybe in the US. Here, they'll tell you the basics and only the basics and for the test you have to solve a super complex problem in no relation to what was seen in class.
No need to say that the bullshit meter goes off the chart.

Maybe not for you but some of us have trouble knowing everything.

But they tell you! I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just saying that the information is given to you in class.

Maybe in the US. Here, they'll tell you the basics and only the basics and for the test you have to solve a super complex problem in no relation to what was seen in class.
No need to say that the bullshit meter goes off the chart.

That's weird, my entire schooling history has been "Here's every piece on information on the test, memorize this shit and we'll all move on." Consequentially I felt like I've never really learned anything in school.

Not everyone is like that ;_;. Some people need to study.

You need to study to learn the art of not studying

It's hard to pay attention when you're doodling.

Yes but how you can expect people to remember things they have been taught months ago?

I take notes. Everything they write down on the board is something you should write down in your notebook or on your laptop. That way, the day before the test you pretty much have every answer written down in front of you. The only times this hasn't worked for me is Math, since that requires formula memorization and I hate that, so I usually just wing those and it's worked out well so far.

They actually don't in my study. We barely have any classes in my university classes (a 2-hour class a week and nothing else), but they only give us an incredibly global explanation of matters and expect us to do the vast majority of work at home, so studying is simply necessary.

My classes are always "Sit here for 3 hours while we tell you everything, then go home and read it all again in this book that has these same answers." It's monotonous as hell and is essentially an exercise in memorizing random bits of information to pass a test instead of encouraging us to study anything on our own.

Okingjrr

That's weird, my entire schooling history has been "Here's every piece on information on the test, memorize this shit and we'll all move on." Consequentially I felt like I've never really learned anything in school.

They actually don't in my study. We barely have any classes in my university classes (a 2-hour class a week and nothing else), but they only give us an incredibly global explanation of matters and expect us to do the vast majority of work at home, so studying is simply necessary.

Mid and High school though? Yeah, studying isn't necessary, though I generally just skimmed through pages to see what I might have missed or forgotten. I didn't always pay attention in class.

Basically what Maragi said.
What I know and grew up with is a system that forces you to find answers on your own with the "little" information that was given to you.

My classes are always "Sit here for 3 hours while we tell you everything, then go home and read it all again in this book that has these same answers." It's monotonous as hell and is essentially an exercise in memorizing random bits of information to pass a test instead of encouraging us to study anything on our own.

Well, college an post college life isn't like that.

You aren't dictated to as achild. You have to do your own readings and present your own thoughts and opinions.

You are given an outline, then told key dates, and that's it.

Basically what Maragi said.
What I know and grew up with is a system that forces you to find answers on your own with the "little" information that was given to you.

That honestly sounds way better, since you're actually forced to learn shit. Harder, I'm sure, but at the end of the day better.

Well, college an post college life isn't like that.
You aren't dictated to as achild. You have to do your own readings and present your own thoughts and opinions.
You are given an outline, then told key dates, and that's it.

Is nobody else's college like this? I've taken classes at like 4 here in Oregon and they've all been this way, so I just assumed that's what college is like. Sorry if that's not the case, I guess.

Yeah this is pretty accurate. Now that I'm over a year into College in 300 level courses, I'm finally being told to study in my major, and it's very different. Wish I had practiced those habits the last, like, 10 years.

100-level courses were just the same thing as Highschool.

edit: Agreed on math. It always required practice using the formulas, and I hate that shit.

Oberon

Banned
I take notes. Everything they write down on the board is something you should write down in your notebook or on your laptop. That way, the day before the test you pretty much have every answer written down in front of you. The only times this hasn't worked for me is Math, since that requires formula memorization and I hate that, so I usually just wing those and it's worked out well so far.

That's weird, when we have math test then we're allowed to have a book with all formula learned on class. Because the most important part is to know how to use them.
I am the type of guy who learns by writing. Do I usually rewrite my existing notes.

Is nobody else's college like this? I've taken classes at like 4 here in Oregon and they've all been this way, so I just assumed that's what college is like. Sorry if that's not the case, I guess.

This is barely my first semester in college but so far math has been the teacher showing us how you work shit out and he helps you if you've got questions which I think is pretty good since he shows us easier ways to work shit out too.

Art History has been sitting, listening and taking notes for a few hours, and taking a multiple choice quiz on it the next time we come. Though we'll have to write a compare and contrast paper soon but yeah, nbd.

English has been read this book, do some quizes, write some quick shit, write some essays

That would have made my life for the past few years a lot easier, though I prefer my own due to its efficiency. Studying Neuropsych in a university, so all we're getting are about 15-20 articles or so every week, plus half a dozen books every 5 weeks and they basically just go over a certain subject within those 2 hours and explain only what you absolutely need to know in order to proceed with your own work. You basically have to work your way through everything in order to get the necessary details for the upcoming test and in the hundreds of questions I've answered, none of them were from the things discussed in class.

Christ that sounds like shitty and lazy teaching, but at least you've learned to get work done on your own.

Yeah this is pretty accurate. Now that I'm over a year into College in 300 level courses, I'm finally being told to study in my major, and it's very different. Wish I had practiced those habits the last, like, 10 years.

100-level courses were just the same thing as Highschool.

Every college can choose however they wish to form their major requirements.

The people that go to NYU Or Columbia learn much more liberal arts and humanities for business degress than say, my school. My Uni was built around forcing students to intern with companies and learn mainly business courses.

This Is all in the US and in NYC so of course YMMV.

That would have made my life for the past few years a lot easier, though I prefer my own due to its efficiency. Studying Neuropsych in a university, so all we're getting are about 15-20 articles or so every week, plus half a dozen books every 5 weeks and they basically just go over a certain subject within those 2 hours and explain only what you absolutely need to know in order to proceed with your own work. You basically have to work your way through everything in order to get the necessary details for the upcoming test and in the hundreds of questions I've answered, none of them were from the things discussed in class.

It's basically a "You know the basics, now find the rest" kind of thing, where they won't point you towards the places you need to look and there's more often than not multiple answers to every question. Not a lot of memorization questions either.

Geez, the things you guys study makes me feel like an idiot, i just went with illustration in art college, not much studying here

Okingjrr

Good job.

Luckily it's one of the easier character action games out there, so you'll feel even more satisfaction when you beat others.
Thanks!
Yea, and it shows. Not that it's that easy, but it's really accessible.
I got Bayo and Bayo 2 lined up next.

I beat Ninja Gaiden 2 a couple of years ago, completing the final chapter was a fucking trial and it was really gratifying as a result. My brother started it up the other day and asked for help on a boss fight, I couldn't do shit! :p Got rusty I guess.

That honestly sounds way better, since you're actually forced to learn shit. Harder, I'm sure, but at the end of the day better.
You feel like you've learned something by the end of the course. It's mostly serves to develop your problem solving skills, but it get really annoying when the subject matter is really hard or the teacher is a dick and doesn't actually help you.

I didn't even bother going, I don't feel the need to waste my life studying things I don't care about.

I dunno how it works in Prison, but a degree, at least in the US, can be really useful depending on your major.
We get chances to rehearse what we've learned in order to make sure we don't make any major mistakes. It is indeed quite lazy on their part, but I don't want people holding my hand and leading me through these subjects. I'm not great with classes where teachers just stand in front of the class and explain everything for hours on end. Get bored and tired quickly.
The difference in teaching culture here and across the pond is very much that distinction. I'm jealous of you guys.

I didn't even bother going, I don't feel the need to waste my life studying things I don't care about.

I'm in the same boat of not needing college for the information, but unfortunately getting a job in my chosen field at this point is next to impossible without a degree or connections, neither of which I have and I really don't want to work at the McDonalds just to survive.

Since I joined the military, I bought me some extra time to not have to mess around with colleges.

That time ends in January. I gotta start some classes soon.

Okingjrr

I dunno how it works in Prison, but a degree, at least in the US, can be really useful depending on your major.
Here, the degree/diploma is law.
Go on the "Management" page of any french company's website and you'll see that the first thing that is said about the person is which school did he go to and what diploma he has.
The difference in teaching culture here and across the pond is very much that distinction. I'm jealous of you guys.
The feeling is mutual. I nice mix of both is what we really need.

I'm not sure mine is the status quo. If anything, it's probably the exception.

We've been saying the same things :p
For two different European countries, the education methods are pretty similar.

I'm not sure mine is the status quo. If anything, it's probably the exception.
Hm. Maybe stories of those exceptions are just what I've heard, since they're different.
The feeling is mutual. I nice mix of both is what we really need.
That would be ideal. At the least I've had good teachers in highschool that had high expectations and actually made us read the textbook for information in addition to in-class questions, learning, and labs. That was an AP class at my private highschool though, so it's not common, at least from what I know.

Teacher/professor quality is almost everything.

Oberon

Banned
BTW, D-Frag is the cutest thing ever, I mean look at this!

ibsjbzGM1HuF0o.gif

Okingjrr

I feel everyone should just learn from the Swedes and tell grades to fuck off
And how do they do to see who's competent enough to advance to the next semester/class/graduation?

Hm. Maybe stories of those exceptions are just what I've heard, since they're different.

That would be ideal. At the least I've had good teachers in highschool that had high expectations and actually made us read the textbook for information in addition to in-class questions, learning, and labs. That was an AP class at my private highschool though, so it's not common, at least from what I know.

Teacher/professor quality is almost everything.
I agree! I've had two teachers in the past year who taught the same course. In the first class, no one could understand what the fuck we were doing and the teacher didn't really seem all that interested in helping us out. He just wanted to get through the course. The second, however, took his time to explain what the problems were and made the course a lot more enjoyable.

Ah, I see. It's just that almost every other study I've looked into still functions off of the "classroom explanation" design (including my own at different universities), which is why my form of study felt somewhat unique and isolated within my own country. Glad to hear it's used more frequently than I thought.

Eh, I was basing it off my own experience. Not sure if it's valid. Okingjrr states it isn't, for example.

I feel like every school in France has the same way of teaching. Everytime I heard someone who's spent a semester in the US talking about what it's like, they say it's the easiest shit ever. I doubt it is. But it's clearly not something the french are used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom