• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 7: FRIENDER65

Status
Not open for further replies.
- a character action game with music elements

YO I thought of something like that. Shit would happen to music queues and such, oh man.

I have this small leather notebook I keep near me that used to be a dream journal but then got too lazy to keep doing that so I started writing down ideas for things I could use in games. I still have stuff I haven't written down I probably should. I hope it never gets lost/stolen, I'd be torn

demidar

Those two peaked my interest pretty fucking hard. Revengeance is a bit like the latter, but I'm so down for more.

Mirror's Edge primarily needs a good battle system to complement the parkour. That was actually what my game idea I shared was founded off of, but doing a parkour system is fucking hard.

A character action game tied to rhythm sounds wretched and confining in my opinion.

A character action game tied to rhythm sounds wretched and confining in my opinion.
It would be niche as hell, but doing any type of combo string you want, but to a beat, sounds fantastic. You could skip a beat for DMC pause combos :p
It has a lot of potential. It doesn't even have to be DMC4 deep, just fun.

Disclaimer that I really like a crypt of the Necrodancer, and I can see why it would infuriate some people.

The two game ideas I've had that I've made any steps towards thinking of making anything but a thought are:

1. JRPG with dating sim elements that drastically and completely change the story, character relations, back stories, dungeons and gameplay based on single small choices. Doing it myself in RPG Maker was far too much of an undertaking and pretty much meant there were just 4 short games that diverged based on a single choice at the beginning and then there were three endings for each. All of them radically different in tone, setting and outcome. I could still make it, but fucking hell is it a lot of work trying to get all of those things to work together, and I'm terrible with combat design in every way, so making the game worth playing on top of the basic ideas of the story is next to impossible without any help.

2. Classic survival horror game that is essentially RE1, in a mansion, survive. Only difference is you're in a group and your job is to make sure you save everyone in your group while fighting the monsters. No continue system, you die you start the game over, automatically erasing your save data the moment you load it. Short as hell and beating the game without saving anyone is ridiculously easy and fast, but you get the worst ending. Saving everyone is hard but rewarding, the no continues make every choice actually matter and people told me they wouldn't play that but fuck those people it isn't for them. Oh yeah, tank controls also.

What would be much less invasive and restrictive is making it so enemy attack patterns follow the music, but you still have full control.
Oh yeah, tank controls also.
Hell yeah. Seriously though your first idea is stupidly hard to make no matter how you slice it. Lots of people want your choices to matter in games, and sadly most games just can't feasibly do it. Way of the Samurai seems weirdly based on it though. So that's cool.

The second is just cool.

Zenfalcia

The two game ideas I've had that I've made any steps towards thinking of making anything but a thought are:

You'd need a giant tree of choices.. that's not even including the game/combat mechanics. So it'll be a persona game, without personas and more endings.

Saving everyone with tank controls.. That'll be.. fun.. I think.

What would be much less invasive and restrictive is making it so enemy attack patterns follow the music, but you still have full control.

Hell yeah. Seriously though your first idea is stupidly hard to make no matter how you slice it. Lots of people want your choices to matter in games, and sadly most games just can't feasibly do it. Way of the Samurai seems weirdly based on it though. So that's cool.

The second is just cool.

Uh.. have the music playing and attacking depending on how intense the music?

demidar

It would be niche as hell, but doing any type of combo string you want, but to a beat, sounds fantastic. You could skip a beat for DMC pause combos :p
It has a lot of potential. It doesn't even have to be DMC4 deep, just fun.

Disclaimer that I really like a crypt of the Necrodancer, and I can see why it would infuriate some people.

I also enjoyed and beaten Crypt of the Necrodancer. In fact I've written up something about it when we were talking about Roguelikes... somewhere, and my problems boiled down to the rhythm forcing down complexity of the strategy.

It would depend on how the rhythm part is implemented, but I feel having most things tied to a beat would constrain the viability of actions, and many inputs used in traditional character action games are arrhythmic and reactionary (which is difficult to do when you're buttoning to a beat). If you put emphasis on the rhythm part (like actions just fail if you don't hit a button to the beat) then the action will be railroaded and it would soon turn rote. If you put emphasis on the character action part, then the rhythm part might not even be there because all it does is encourage suboptimal/slow play and discourage freeform inputs. Then at that point you might as well either make a pure character action or a pure rhythm game.

I can bring up some hypothetical examples if you like, but I might've gabbed on about this too much.

Seriously though your first idea is stupidly hard to make no matter how you slice it. Lots of people want your choices to matter in games, and sadly most games just can't feasibly do it. Way of the Samurai seems weirdly based on it though. So that's cool.

You'd need a giant tree of choices.. that's not even including the game/combat mechanics. So it'll be a persona game, without personas and more endings.

Spending about thirty hours in RPG Maker after twenty hours writing every single detail out and getting literally almost nowhere into actually making the game is what gave me more respect for people who have any choice in games. I want them to matter, but the pure level of content you need to create as well as every aspect of it while also making a fun game is borderline impossible, and what is possible would take an unfeasible amount of time and energy from too many people to bother with.

Still, that's my dream game that I'd love to make one day.

Zenfalcia

Spending about thirty hours in RPG Maker after twenty hours writing every single detail out and getting literally almost nowhere into actually making the game is what gave me more respect for people who have any choice in games. I want them to matter, but the pure level of content you need to create as well as every aspect of it while also making a fun game is borderline impossible, and what is possible would take an unfeasible amount of time and energy from too many people to bother with.

Still, that's my dream game that I'd love to make one day.

It'll be a huge workload for one person alone.

All this talk of making games reminds me I might be going about it the wrong way, and if I never get to the point that I want, I hope I'm not fucking myself over and I'm able to at least make a living in a stable job I don't hate later on

Zenfalcia

All this talk of making games reminds me I might be going about it the wrong way, and if I never get to the point that I want, I hope I'm not fucking myself over and I'm able to at least make a living in a stable job I don't hate later on

It's finnee.. You'll figure it out.

demidar

It'll be a huge workload for one person alone.

It would be a huge workload for a large team too.

I desperately want to play a game where choices are meaningful, and I thought Mass Effect would be the first to do it (and how wrong I was). Making a game with that much horizontal content (as opposed to vertical content ala the linear critical path) is just economically unfeasible. Content that a player doesn't see because they chose a particular path is content that might as well not exist, but all the player would see is a game whose path is shorter than traditional linear games, and then complain about it, thus it could be argued as wasted money. That's why Telltale Games' games end up making your decisions amount to nothing, but it just can't be helped with the amount of graphical fidelity they're going for.

The only reasonable way it could work is if the asset generation was extremely cheap, and the only genre that can do this well are Visual Novels and Text Adventures. All you need is to plan out your story paths and write text, and if you want to be fancy draw up static backgrounds.

I heard about this game 80 Days on another podcast, it's a retelling of 80 Days around the World but in a text adventure format with some graphics. The game's story diverges massively depending on your choices and there is a massive amount of encounters, random events and subplots that happen. The kicker is this, the person who planned out the story and wrote the dialogue took 9 goddamn months, and that's just text.

Edit: 80 Days by Inkles, in case anyone wants to try it on the App Store. I'm sure there's lots of games with the same name.

Zenfalcia

It would be a huge workload for a large team too.

I desperately want to play a game where choices are meaningful, and I thought Mass Effect would be the first to do it (and how wrong I was). Making a game with that much horizontal content (as opposed to vertical content ala the linear critical path) is just economically unfeasible. Content that a player doesn't see because they chose a particular path is content that might as well not exist, but all the player would see is a game whose path is shorter than traditional linear games, and then complain about it, thus it could be argued as wasted money. That's why Telltale Games' games end up making your decisions amount to nothing, but it just can't be helped with the amount of graphical fidelity they're going for.

The only reasonable way it could work is if the asset generation was extremely cheap, and the only genre that can do this well are Visual Novels and Text Adventures. All you need is to plan out your story paths and write text, and if you want to be fancy draw up static backgrounds.

I heard about this game 80 Days on another podcast, it's a retelling of 80 Days around the World but in a text adventure format with some graphics. The game's story diverges massively depending on your choices and there is a massive amount of encounters, random events and subplots that happen. The kicker is this, the person who planned out the story and wrote the dialogue took 9 goddamn months, and that's just text.

It's a lot of work to make things really meaningful in games outside of really story driven games. Yeah, i can see having the extra content might be wasted if no one ever plays them, but needed to have effort put in to have it there.

It's why the VNs do so well, so little art assets for a lot of return.

80 days? Sounds interesting.

Yeah, I have been pretty decent at bullshitting so far I suppose

Hurray for BSing through life.

Oberon

Banned
Damn frienders I've been sick and I've been sleeping the whole day. I hate this shit. Now I'm wide awake at 3am.

I am sick too, it sucks. So I am playing Bayonetta 1 an listening to the Podcast with a throat that burns like fire and a horrible headache.

BTW why did they spoil the secret Farcry 4 ending?
They didn't even give a spoiler warning...

Alfebit

Banned
I am sick too, it sucks. So I am playing Bayonetta 1 an listening to the Podcast with a throat that burns like fire and a horrible headache.

Hope you get well soon too. They didn't really spoil what happens just that something happens.

demidar

Ouch, you got 2 out of 3 of the worst common sicknesses (the other being coughing). Get better soon.

On the bright side, at least you have an excuse to stay at home and play Bayonetta.

Zenfalcia

get well soon.

Yeah.. It wasn't great.. But on the other hand.. it doesn't really matter.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

1. JRPG with dating sim elements that drastically and completely change the story, character relations, back stories, dungeons and gameplay based on single small choices. Doing it myself in RPG Maker was far too much of an undertaking and pretty much meant there were just 4 short games that diverged based on a single choice at the beginning and then there were three endings for each. All of them radically different in tone, setting and outcome. I could still make it, but fucking hell is it a lot of work trying to get all of those things to work together, and I'm terrible with combat design in every way, so making the game worth playing on top of the basic ideas of the story is next to impossible without any help.

It's not as in-depth as you're describing here, but look at Thousand Arms on the PS1. It's a lot like this.

Oberon

Banned
Hope you get well soon too. They didn't really spoil what happens just that something happens.

Ouch, you got 2 out of 3 of the worst common sicknesses (the other being coughing). Get better soon.

On the bright side, at least you have an excuse to stay at home and play Bayonetta.

get well soon.

Yeah.. It wasn't great.. But on the other hand.. it doesn't really matter.

Thanks!
Damn frienders I've been sick and I've been sleeping the whole day. I hate this shit. Now I'm wide awake at 3am.

How Impolite of me, I forgot to tell you to get well soon!

Here, French Prison School will help you!

yy2O0Zw.jpg

Shackzam

How Impolite of me, I forgot to tell you to get well soon!

Here, French Prison School will help you!
Thanks for the get well soon frienders. I hope you get well as well. Also, I still don't understand what the fuck is with Hana. She's like the second weirdest next to the masochist.

Ohhh splendid we're talking about game design ideas?

I am doing, or was doing and I am still kind of learning how to model, program, and use Unity to produce something akin to the old Looking Glass Studio games, with large levels based around hubs and tons of enterable buildings with loot. A Garret-esque main character in a Steampunk Supernatural Medieval esque world.

I want to do an isometric cyberpunk adventure game, similar to Shadowrun on the SNES.

I want to do a Rainbow Six 3 style game at some point if I ever get that far.

To be honest if I never create these things, I'll be fine but I keep entertaining the thought and a friend of mine who is a programmer wants to do a game with me.

This thread moves fast, I don't know. Podcast was great and such but now it's uploading earlier and I listen to it before midday then afterwards I'm like "what do I do now?"

Also I have no clue on that outro theme for the podcast, I want to say it's Gaim related because I don't know what that is.

I'm stuck in a museum drawing hybrid stuff for 6 hours with a shit ton of kids screaming and shouting everywhere. I regret not downloading the podcast in the morning...

Archgan

Yo guys Mercenary Kings is literally Monster Hunter.

Yeah, I was surprised by how much it is Monster Hunter. When Pat said that in his video, I thought it was just going to be slightly similar. But it is basically simplified Monster Hunter in a 2D shooter.

Zenfalcia

This thread moves fast, I don't know. Podcast was great and such but now it's uploading earlier and I listen to it before midday then afterwards I'm like "what do I do now?"

Also I have no clue on that outro theme for the podcast, I want to say it's Gaim related because I don't know what that is.

Yeah, but there not a lot to note though, some jokes, some new things like pokemon leaks, and sometimes SBF stuff.

Adult only

Ah, ok thanks for clarifying.

It's a lot of fun, I only ever played in singleplayer so I imagine it's easier and probably more fun with more people, Paul Robertson's work on it is great too

It's fairly fun with friends. It gets really hectic though.

Feels like I haven't been here all week. This stupid video card just won't stop giving me problems.

I just wanna play my game at high settings and 60 FPS. =(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom