• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 7: FRIENDER65

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xiraiya

Sex in games should really only exist either in a vaguely implied moment of amusement, such as visiting a brothel in arcanum and blacking out, waking up with no energy left, which serves no purpose other than to be a random gimmick.

Or when character interactions are kind of at a point of closeness and intimacy that it would be kind of weird for that to just never happen, even then it's not really like you need to see it happen, you get the idea, I thought Mass Effect's version of it was fine personally, and MGS3's implication was fine for what it was too.

Village

Sex in games should really only exist either in a vaguely implied moment of amusement, such as visiting a brothel in arcanum and blacking out, waking up with no energy left, which serves no purpose other than to be a random gimmick.

Or when character interactions are kind of at a point of closeness and intimacy that it would be kind of weird for that to just never happen, even then it's not really like you need to see it happen, you get the idea, I thought Mass Effect's version of it was fine personally, and MGS3's implication was fine for what it was too.

It shouldn't be limited to that and like many things in games, can be a great many things.

croten

The reward portion is something that Movies do very often as well. Though less so than games, but I would argue that if you aren't at least going to attempt to show them a little then remove them completely.

Yes movies do, I don't like there either.

Sex sells its as simple as that. Why 50 shades over other smut? Luck, most likely

50 shades isn't smut by traditional means.

It sells because the same audience that bought Twilight books grew up and want the same type of literature but without the werewolf and the vampire stuff.

I can also see it as a guilty pleasure to those who want to read "romance" novels with some BDSM themes in it(even if the BDSM is off the mark).

360pages

I mean in games that aren't japanese H nonsense.

Isn't that part of the reason why games are still struggling to be classified as art though? It wants to be treated like movies and books with its writing, yet doesn't want to actually do things with it's writing or attempt things.

As a result, until the media as a whole grows, I'm only going to look at it as art in the gameplay form, and less of the story. Until then it will always be below all other media in terms of telling stories overall.

Isn't that part of the reason why games are still struggling to be classified as art though? It wants to be treated like movies and books with its writing, yet doesn't want to actually do things with it's writing or attempt things.

As a result, until the media as a whole grows, I'm only going to look at it as art in the gameplay form, and less of the story. Until then it will always be below all other media in terms of telling stories overall.
I don't know why people look at the shining examples of some media forms, and ignore all the shining examples from games.

Shadow of the Colossus is more "art" than 80% of literature.

Oberon

Banned
Even though PSN failed me yet again, I'm still having a pretty good day. What about you guys?

I woke up having my throat burn like lava.
Played some bayo 1 and thenwent to the doctor.
I feel better now, so I'll probably go back to school tomorrow. It was an acceptable day

I was listening to Pat going on about how Dragon Age: Inquisition was an actual good game. I was lamenting the damage he would deal to my wallet with his godlike shilling skills.

Then he mentioned Skyrim. Thanks for saving my wallet Pat!

"It feels like a sequel to Dragon Age: Origins."
I told all you motherfuckers. I told you. And I'd imagine it's got none of Skyrim's gameplay jank problems.

Xiraiya

I don't care, I don't think too hard about it, sparks pretentious discussion I don't care for, games are games and each one is different, some are works of art, some are great, some are retarded.

The end.

If people want to debate it, by all means they can, but it is what it is, so it's a pointless discussion.

croten

Games shouldn't try to be books or movies. Fuck, movies shouldn't even try to be books. The point of different forms of media is that you can express things in a different way. Games excel at interaction, exploring areas, talking to characters about specific things and avoiding what you don't want to know, earning the story itself. When a game tries to be a movie it usually sucks, like David Cage's games.

360pages

I don't know why people look at the shining examples of some media forms, and ignore all the shining examples from games.

Shadow of the Colossus is more art than 80% of literature.

It's art in the way it presents itself and the world. But even then that was more on how the character interacted with that world and battles than the writing in itself. Shadow of the Colossus was very much still a game at the end of the day, and the art was delivered though gameplay and visuals.

A lot of critics and even reviewers want games to tell a story and as a result stop caring about the gameplay. Which is fine, but you better make sure you're prepared to make the media and willing to try what those media did.

Art though Gameplay and Art through story telling is different, just like Movies have visuals that books don't.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=935029

Triple Triad is now a smartphone game!

b5680cea63138c4f1f93aab3e56eb8e6.gif

Shadow of the Colossus is more "art" than 80% of literature

That's quite a bold statement there.

Village

I like final fantasy 8, 7-9 are my favorite FF's, well mainline. It was kinda sucky the crew wasn't feeling 8. And pat could not understand the practicality of having a blade that is also a gun.

360pages

Games shouldn't try to be books or movies. Fuck, movies shouldn't even try to be books. The point of different forms of media is that you can express things in a different way. Games excel at interaction, exploring areas, talking to characters about specific things and avoiding what you don't want to know, earning the story itself. When a game tries to be a movie it usually sucks, like David Cage's games.

But that is what a lot of reviewers list a games story off of and why they enjoy it.

Games are art, they were art the moment they were created. Something that draws a emotion from you and makes you feel. I can accept that, but more games are trying to be movies or books without actually willing to do things in terms of story telling the other two are.

80% of literature? That's quite the hyperbole
Yes. Lol.
It's art in the way it presents itself and the world. But even then that was more on how the character interacted with that world and battles than the writing in itself. Shadow of the Colossus was very much still a game at the end of the day, and the art was delivered though gameplay and visuals.

A lot of critics and even reviewers want games to tell a story and as a result stop caring about the gameplay. Which is fine, but you better make sure you're prepared to make the media and willing to try what those media did.

Art though Gameplay and Art through story telling is different, just like Movies have visuals that books don't.
I would say physically climbing and killing them yourself isn't detached from the narrative, but you're right. All of The Las of Us' reviews sounded like English paper critiques.

What makes this argument kinda pointless is the definition of art isn't concrete. People will argue all day.
"It feels like a sequel to Dragon Age: Origins."
I told all you motherfuckers. I told you. And I'd imagine it's got none of Skyrim's gameplay jank problems.
If this shit plays good? I am down so hard man. I'll buy it as soon as I tear myself away from Smash and beat the Exam boss.

Xiraiya

I like final fantasy 8, 7-9 are my favorite FF's, well mainline. It was kinda sucky the crew wasn't feeling 8. And pat could not understand the practicality of having a blade that is also a gun.

Even the director of 8 said a Gunblade in hindsight is a baffling weapon, it is dumb, but boy is it awesome, 8 feels like the most broken of the FF games but I still have always enjoyed it more than any other FF game, it's honestly like the DP of Final Fantasy for me, I love it.

It does do *some* things better than other FF games, but yeah.

demidar

Shadow of the Colossus is more "art" than 80% of literature.

I have a different opinion of what art is: Super high level play, where the player and his avatar is so in sync it's mind boggling, and their brain works so quickly that a second is a lifetime. Tournament level Dota 2, Starcraft, Quake, Counter Strike. That infamous Evo moment where Daigo parries an entire super and snatches victory from the jaws of defeat. Even stuff like those Quake mobility obstacle courses.

Not saying that others' idea of what art is is invalid, it's just that I think games as art should emphasize what makes games unique which is gameplay.

We're getting into goddamn games are art discussion, we're truly EverythingGaf.

Xiraiya

If this shit plays good? I am down so hard man. I'll buy it as soon as I tear myself away from Smash and beat the Exam boss.

I was watching the GB Quicklook, it looks pretty solid and seems to run well, I really hate the UI though, feels like a bland MMO, games need to go back to fancy text and outrageously designed UI schemes with metal and wood and crap like that, it feels way better.

Skyrims was tolerable because I changed the Font to Oblivion Menu font and it automatically made the game like 10% more enjoyable for me.

Maybe? How can something be "more art".
That's why I was trying to stress what I meant with "art". The definition of art is stupid and this argument over games and art devolves into those arguments.
I have a different opinion of what art is: Super high level play, where the player and his avatar is so in sync it's mind boggling, and their brain works so quickly that a second is a lifetime. Tournament level Dota 2, Starcraft, Quake, Counter Strike. That infamous Evo moment where Daigo parries an entire super and snatches victory from the jaws of defeat. Even stuff like those Quake mobility obstacle courses.

Not saying that others' idea of what art is is invalid, it's just that I think games as art should emphasize what makes games unique which is gameplay.

We're getting into goddamn games are art discussion, we're truly EverythingGaf.
That's totally valid. That shit is amazing.

Village

Even the director of 8 said a Gunblade in hindsight is a baffling weapon, it is dumb, but boy is it awesome, 8 feels like the most broken of the FF games but I still have always enjoyed it more than any other FF game, it's honestly like the DP of Final Fantasy for me, I love it.

It does do *some* things better than other FF games, but yeah.

The gun blade in a world like final fantasy is more practical than you would think

The real world however, no. Upkeep would be... tiresome.

Catching up on Inou Battle, s'pretty good. Did you have any trouble with the character transfer?
Nope. Preload fucked up, and the patches were downloaded, but not the game. Don't know how that happened. Thanks Sony.

While I wait to het back home Thursday, I finally beat the TLOU. Now I can sink time into my backup strat, and play more Rebirth/Vita.

Isn't SoC the game where you kill all those giants? How can that be considered "art'
Is it just because of "Oh no! Those giants did nothing wrong! You meany!"
"The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power."

There's the dictionary definition of art. Is it subjective? Very.

demidar

I was watching the GB Quicklook, it looks pretty solid and seems to run well, I really hate the UI though, feels like a bland MMO, games need to go back to fancy text and outrageously designed UI schemes with metal and wood and crap like that, it feels way better.

Skyrims was tolerable because I changed the Font to Oblivion Menu font and it automatically made the game like 10% more enjoyable for me.

I love bagging on Skyrim.

Holy fuck is the UI for the PC version of Skyrim fucking horrible. You've got all this real estate and you fucking waste that shit on looking pretty. Fuck off Bethesda, let me see my entire inventory, Jesus Christ.

/rant

But yeah, DA:I doesn't look too hot from where I'm standing.

Alfebit

Banned
Nope. Preload fucked up, and the patches were downloaded, but not the game. Don't know how that happened. Thanks Sony.

While I wait to het back home Thursday, I finally beat the TLOU. Now I can sink time into my backup strat, and play more Rebirth/Vita.

Damn that sucks. Haven't picked up my copy yet. I hope I don't run into too many problems.

Xiraiya

I don't really know, but I think I'd consider a "Work of art" in games to be when you see the visual design, setting, story, characters and gameplay come together as a truly satisfying "well-oiled machine" sort of way, nothing feels weak or broken or out of place, everything is polished and fit together to create an overall fantastic experience you'll always remember.

I don't really know, but I think I'd consider a "Work of art" in games to be when you see the visual design, setting, story, characters and gameplay come together as a truly satisfying "well-oiled machine" sort of way, nothing feels weak or broken or out of place, everything is polished and fit together to create an overall fantastic experience you'll always remember.
Gesamtkunstwerk. That's the word for what you mean. It's really cool.

I assume he means "better" art not "more"

That's not what said though. I can't read minds, that's why we post our thoughts.

That's why I was trying to stress what I meant with "art". The definition of art is stupid and this argument over games and art devolves into those arguments.

The definition changes over time to reflect the current medium used for human expression.

Art encompasses a lot of mediums. Games are included in that medium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom