• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 7: FRIENDER65

Status
Not open for further replies.

croten

Well I'll probably never play the girl, I never have an interest in being a female character in games as I am not actually a female.

Does he have a Canon name like Yu?

I'm not female but I like to play as a female character a lot. I hear the FeMC route is better although not cannon

Xiraiya

The fan base prefers Minato, but do what ya want.

So it's still divided, that's annoying, well I guess that means I can ease the OCD of needing a canon name if it's not really confirmed, honestly if the Anime made Yu be Yu, then by that logic the Movie should really be his name.

Or one could just go Makoto Arisato, which sounds kind of cool.

But I think I'll just go with Retsugi Namikaze.

Oberon

Banned
So it's still divided, that's annoying, well I guess that means I can ease the OCD of needing a canon name if it's not really confirmed, honestly if the Anime made Yu be Yu, then by that logic the Movie should really be his name.

Or one could just go Makoto Arisato, which sounds kind of cool.

But I think I'll just go with Retsugi Namikaze.

I really dislike using "canon names" in rpg.
It's your own story, be creative!
If I don't come up with a good name, then I use "Waluigi Wario"

Xiraiya

I really dislike using "canon names" in rpg.
It's your own story, be creative!
If I don't come up with a good name, then I use "Waluigi Wario"

I try and go for Canon in JRPGs because they're usually established characters with some form of identity that makes it kind of weird to use whatever.

Unlike western RPGs where usually it's not like that, in Mass Effect I called my Shepard "Gray", because it made me think of the guy from FF Spirits Within, even though my Shepard ultimately had his own identity, that and Shepard's default name is never once used in any situation, so it's effectively irrelevant in the context of the canon series.

ultimax

TWEWY 2. I'll never forget that countdown teaser Square Enix had to announce an iPhone remake.

Fuck you Square Enix ;_;
uKXD1I8.gif

I'm posing the podcast question to people here, has anyone almost stopped playing a game but ended up loving the game after sticking with it?
Drakengard 1. But I use the term love very loosely

Shackzam

I'm posing the podcast question to people here, has anyone almost stopped playing a game but ended up loving the game after sticking with it?

Risk of Rain comes to comes to mind because of how recently that happened to me. Once I stopped being a scrub I really enjoyed the game. When I first played it, I felt the game was just bad, but then I found real enjoyment out of it.

I pretty much always play a female if I can because why the fuck not. Too many boring male protagonists these days.

I didn't know that most gameplay experiences change when you're a female vs being a male... I might be making the wrong choices by always defaulting as a male then.

croten

Best example for me is Tomb Raider Reboot, that QTE intro was really, really bad.

DMC 4. I actually hated it because Nero wasn't Dante and you only played as him in the shitty second half of the game which is just the first half in reverse, but after I got more into Character action games and played it again on PC I found that I really loved it.

I just finished Tomb Raider, I'm really surprised by just how much I liked it.

Xiraiya

The character is an extension of yourself, at least in an open RPG/MMO, therefore I have no wish to be a woman so I will not play as one, it's really that simple.

I do find it kind of amusing that a majority of all guys seem to prefer playing as female in games.

I feel like Evil Within may end up being that for me at the moment. Dropped it at Chapter 6 last weekend never wanting to play it again. Replayed again last night and got past that chapter (still sucked shit), and things are starting to look up.

Alfebit

Banned
Because then polygon will write mean articles about me :(

Why you gotta be so mean, Polygon? :(

The character is an extension of yourself, at least in an open RPG/MMO, therefore I have no wish to be a woman so I will not play as one, it's really that simple.

I do find it kind of amusing that a majority of all guys seem to prefer playing as female in games.

The character doesn't always have to be you.

I play as a woman less frequently than as a guy, but I don't think I've ever played a Bioware game as a guy, gotta be those space/fantasy hero lesbians.

croten

Why? It doesn't mean I am a woman nor would that be a negative thing. I just want a different perspective or a different design. Male characters are so boring most of the time.

Gameplay doesn't change but why not be a badass woman?

I'm not against playing as a female avatar.

I'm just intrigued that the experience can change significantly from playing as a male vs playing as a female.

Take Fallout 3. Is the experience that much different as a female? I don't know because I never attempted it as a female. I didn't think the difference would be huge, but in Mass Effect apparently FemShep is much better than MaleShep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom