• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 7: FRIENDER65

Status
Not open for further replies.
The character is an extension of yourself, at least in an open RPG/MMO, therefore I have no wish to be a woman so I will not play as one, it's really that simple.

I do find it kind of amusing that a majority of all guys seem to prefer playing as female in games.

The idea of an RPG character being an extension of myself is much more foreign than the idea of playing as a women. So it really doesn't matter to me. I usually just go with whatever I'm in the mood to play as

Alfebit

Banned
I'm not against playing as a female avatar.

I'm just intrigued that the experience can change significantly from playing as a male vs playing as a female.

Take Fallout 3. Is the experience that much different as a female? I don't know because I never attempted it as a female. I didn't think the difference would be huge, but in Mass Effect apparently FemShep is much better than MaleShep.

If the characters are practically the same it boils down to design for me and almost 100% of the time the female designs are better. Fallout is an exception because all the characters look like ass.

croten

If the characters are practically the same it boils down to design for me and almost 100% of the time the female designs are better. Fallout is an exception because all the characters look like ass.

Hey I'll take a sexy female potato over a male one.

DMC 4. I actually hated it because Nero wasn't Dante and you only played as him in the shitty second half of the game which is just the first half in reverse, but after I got more into Character action games and played it again on PC I found that I really loved it.

I just finished Tomb Raider, I'm really surprised by just how much I liked it.
DMC4 was the same for me actually. I was playing it at the same time as 3 and thought it was horrible.
FemShep is Shep. There's no discussion.
^

Playing a girl is when I'm not role playing, I'm making a character. Usually I do it on repeat playthroughs, or games that are inherently goofy and I'm not emotionally attached to.

Lesbian romance options and third person games get a strong consideration for FeMC. Games like P3P are actually just different with Female characters though, so it's super worth a replay.

croten

DMC4 was the same for me actually. I was playing it at the same time as 3 and thought it was horrible.

^

Playing a girl is when I'm not role playing, I'm making a character. Usually I do it on repeat playthroughs, or games that are inherently goofy and I'm not emotionally attached to.

I was playing saints row and it was a case of do I want to be Troy baker or Laura Bail- Easiest decision ever.

Xiraiya

Why? It doesn't mean I am a woman nor would that be a negative thing. I just want a different perspective or a different design. Male characters are so boring most of the time.

In the case of something like P3 it's a bit different because there is actually a different story going on with the female option, and they are established characters, not your own character, I don't really have an interest to play her side unless there is some kind of completion stuff that applies overall that might be useful to have.

But in general open RPGs, they're virtually the same, the only difference being physical really and that you'll naturally relate to one more, so I've never understood why so many guys naturally want to be a woman in that scenario. I mean, yes there are very specific reasons for why that might be and of course those specific reasons are ones I understand and I'm not going to judge a person for that. But it really seems like not many people have very much thought about it for some reason, which is what I've always been curious about why it's like this.

I never hear like "Oh I wanted to make this female character who kind of had this particular theme/story going on and plays this one particular way"

It's nearly always "Because pretty tho" "Because boobs and ass tho" "Because I want to look at a girl all day instead"

Which, is just, I don't know... amusing in it's simplicity.

Also, this discussion makes me think I'm probably the only person here who still seriously role plays in a game whenever given the chance to make character/name him/influence decisions and so on. I always make that character a male, and I put the effort in making a unique name for him or using my own name instead of using what's "canon" because what's the fucking point if I'm using someone else's name? Persona is what primarily comes to mind, and it's why I'll never play Persona 4 because Charlie Tunoku and his adventures are ingrained in my mind, and all you Yu Narakumi or Kenpachi Ramasama fuckers can go to hell.

Xiraiya

They're role playing games, sometimes you don't want that role to be you. Sometimes you want to play the role of somebody that is the opposite of you.
My point is though that's usually not the thought process people use.

Also, this discussion makes me think I'm probably the only person here who still seriously role plays in a game whenever given the chance to make character/name him/influence decisions and so on.
I put a whole lot of thought into my characters in stuff like Elder Scrolls Or Dark Souls etc.

So I think I might go buy Dragon Age today, is there any word on the PS3 version? Is the PC version Origin only and is it worth putting up with?

It's on Steam, and it's amazing.

They're role playing games, sometimes you don't want that role to be you. Sometimes you want to play the role of somebody that is the opposite of you.

And yeah, while I can't play the opposite of myself (I can never make evil/jerk decisions) there's alot of people who just like living out something different.
And Xiriaya is also right, lots of the people who play purely female characters just do it because they find them aesthetically pleasing. It's all cool.

My point is though that's usually not the thought process people use.

That's the thought process of me and everyone I know who play as women in these types of games. Pretty much it's fun to play a woman sometimes because it's different. I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons, but that's a pretty common one I've run into.

Also, this discussion makes me think I'm probably the only person here who still seriously role plays in a game whenever given the chance to make character/name him/influence decisions and so on. I always make that character a male, and I put the effort in making a unique name for him or using my own name instead of using what's "canon" because what's the fucking point if I'm using someone else's name? Persona is what primarily comes to mind, and it's why I'll never play Persona 4 because Charlie Tunoku and his adventures are ingrained in my mind, and all you Yu Narakumi or Kenpachi Ramasama fuckers can go to hell.
Plague playing Dark Souls that way was actually refreshing to me. I can hardly bring myself to take Roleplay seriously. It's why I'm so detached from my character in RPGs. I just design them to be cool from an outsider perspective.

Aesthetics is your reason, but the only reason I would change my default from male to female is if it affects the gameplay or story enough that the experience is different.

Otherwise, I'd rather come up with a dumb name and make a goofy ass character like I did in Dark Souls 1 and 2,Fallout, & Skyrim.

I don't take role playing seriously or go into it like most people. I'm like Matt in that I'd rather call my character something stupid or goofy and do dumb things.

Plague playing Dark Souls that way was actually refreshing to me. I can hardly bring myself to take Roleplay seriously. It's why I'm so detached from my character in RPGs. I just design them to be cool from an outsider perspective.

Plague pointed out some things that I never noticed in character creation.

Xiraiya

e74zQ9.png
I'm playing my DS2 character as a kind of reincarnation of my Dark Souls 1 Character, wearing basic stuff, not a fancy sort of guy, simple Knight who is adventuring through the story and helping people along the way, I'll never invade on this character.
So I called him "Lone Knight Virtus"

It's usually the 2nd or 3rd run through an RPG where I'll really go about making a unique character not based on my morality.

I'm playing my DS2 character as a kind of reincarnation of my Dark Souls 1 Character, wearing basic stuff, not a fancy sort of guy, simple Knight who is adventuring through the story and helping people along the way, I'll never invade on this character.
So I called him "Lone Knight Virtus"

It's usually the 2nd or 3rd run through an RPG where I'll really go about making a unique character not based on my morality.

This image describes roughly how much I care about roleplaying in souls games. I play as whatever sex allows me to wear the nicest looking outfits, because like Papa Plague taught us, it's important to be stylish.

Xiraiya

This image describes roughly how much I care about roleplaying in souls games. I play as whatever sex allows me to wear the nicest looking outfits, because like Papa Plague taught us, it's important to be stylish.

You look like a VTMB character that caught a terrible disease haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom