• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 7: FRIENDER65

Status
Not open for further replies.

360pages

I did way back in school. It was the hypest Pokemon story(ies) I've read- all the way up to Diamond/Pearl where I stopped.

Ruby x Sapphire OTP.

Yeah, the constant changing cast really helps keeps the story fresh. It can get weird at times, but I think its weirdness helps give it an edge over other pokemon adaptations.

Oberon

Banned
Honestly? I couldn't tell the difference, both were hard to fight with and took getting used to. Hence why I can't understand that complain.

I don't even mind the roles, the only thing.that bothers me is that I could parry basically everyone in DS, but I can't do that anymore! They made it much harder to time..

Yeah, the constant changing cast really helps keeps the story fresh. It can get weird at times, but I think its weirdness helps give it an edge over other pokemon adaptations.

The coolest most badass move that I could still remember was Red charging up Pikachu while it was still in it's ball and then releasing it for an instant attack >_< ! Back then that was ingenious!

I don't even mind the roles, the only thing.that bothers me is that I could parry basically everyone in DS, but I can't do that anymore! They made it much harder to time..

I thought that was the plan? To make it harder to parry (And backstab fish)

What conspiracy shit? I can't listen to the podcast until tomorrow.

That people were killed by the government. One was the water powered car guy which I have never heard about, the other was Barnaby Jack, who found a hack for a pacemaker. He died of a cocaine overdose before he could present his findings at a black hat conference and apparently that's suspicious.

Of note, Jack also found significant hacks to ATMs and insulin pumps years prior. So yes, while a pacemaker hack was bad, it doesn't make sense for him to be killed over it. It also doesn't make sense for the government to even give a shit outside of updating their guidelines for these devices.

360pages

The coolest most badass move that I could still remember was Red charging up Pikachu while it was still in it's ball and then releasing it for an instant attack >_< ! Back then that was ingenious!

I thought that was the plan? To make it harder to parry (And backstab fish)

Yeah, it's filled with really good moments. I wish I could find a really weirdly awesome moment to post just to show everyone.

Honestly, the first experience with Evil Within is always rough, ESPECIALLY if you have no experience with any actual survival horror games before hand. RE4 it's fucking not, no matter how much it may seem to look like it at spots.

It really does benefit from paying attention to the environment and level design, as there's a shit ton of detail put into those areas and various things to take advantage of. Just shooting everything isn't viable.

So yeah, I'm saying to git gud.

Also I find it hilarious that a game in development for three to four days can be considered rushed. There's some bad decisions in regards to aspects of player control, camera placement, and a couple of chapters that are kind of weak, but everything else clearly had a shit ton of effort put into it.

That's what I'm referring to when I say rushed.

Although, I don't know a single thing about the dev cycle in Tango, so I'll simply claim ignorance.

demidar

That people were killed by the government. One was the water powered car guy which I have never heard about, the other was Barnaby Jack, who found a hack for a pacemaker. He died of a cocaine overdose before he could present his findings at a black hat conference and apparently that's suspicious.

Of note, Jack also found significant hacks to ATMs and insulin pumps years prior. So yes, while a pacemaker hack was bad, it doesn't make sense for him to be killed over it. It also doesn't make sense for the government to even give a shit outside of updating their guidelines for these devices.

I'm sure the government has killed people, but those stakes are way too low for it to warrant being killed, yeah.

Xiraiya

I never got used to the changes, and it's extremely frustrating after 200+ hours of Dark 1.

It's been relatively fine for me, but it has been changing the way I play significantly.

In Dark Souls 1 I relied on a shield most of the time because I liked parrying and blocking, so I would only roll when I couldn't block something or if I was too low on stamina to take a hit with the shield.

In 2 I find that I roll much more than I block, mostly because the shield is far less useful and parrying is just a pain, so it's more effective for me if I just get out of the way and strike when I get my chance.

It's been relatively fine for me, but it has been changing the way I play significantly.

In Dark Souls 1 I relied on a shield most of the time because I liked parrying and blocking, so I would only roll when I couldn't block something or if I was too low on stamina to take a hit with the shield.

In 2 I find that I roll much more than I block, mostly because the shield is far less useful and parrying is just a pain, so it's more effective for me if I just get out of the way and strike when I get my chance.
Roll invincibility is the thing that kills me. My first playthrough of Dark 1 was 130 hours of Fat Rolls with Havel's and a greatshield, the next two dozen playthroughs were all ninja flips and fast rolls abusing I frames. Both of my styles of play outright don't work in Dark 2, and they're my favorite way to play the games.

demidar

Roll invincibility is the thing that kills me. My first playthrough of Dark 1 was 130 hours of Fat Rolls with Havel's and a greatshield, the next two dozen playthroughs were all ninja flips and fast rolls abusing I frames. Both of my styles of play outright don't work in Dark 2, and they're my favorite way to play the games.

Abusing i-frames worked for me, what do you mean?

Abusing i-frames worked for me, what do you mean?

I dunno if it's needing to crank ADP/AGI up, the timing being different, or just the way enemies are designed, (maybe all three), but I never got it to work well enough.
In the early game without ADP I got fucking wrecked. Tying skill based actions to a stat was really lame.

demidar

I dunno if it's needing to crank ADP/AGI up, the timing being different, or just the way enemies are designed, (maybe all three), but I never got it to work well enough.
In the early game without ADP I got fucking wrecked. Tying skill based actions to a stat was really lame.

Yeah I think it's because you had to up your ADP to the soft/hard cap. If anything, it was overly generous once you hit that point.

Xiraiya

I haven't touched my adaptability, I feel like it's enough at 10, I think for Knights it starts at 9, so I put it up to an even number, but with rolling under 70% weight, it's been good enough, I think it's just a matter of getting more efficient at rolling rather than relying on i-frames and crap like that.

I haven't touched my adaptability, I feel like it's enough at 10, I think for Knights it starts at 9, so I put it up to an even number, but with rolling under 70% weight, it's been good enough, I think it's just a matter of getting more efficient at rolling rather than relying on i-frames and crap like that.
There's a distinct difference with avoiding an attack entirely and rolling through it with i-frames; rolling right as it would hit you. I kinda prefer the latter.

My main problem with DS2 was how enemy weapons seemed to have a fucking magnet on them that always wanted your dick. That's why I loved the first DLC so much, the tracking bullshit wasn't there, and if it was it was super toned down. That is also why I hate the second DLC so much, the huge enemies with lava damage shield and tracking attacks that all knock you down/kill you in one hit.

Once you get to about 95 Agi, you should stop getting tagged. I-frames in DS2 are straight up broken.

It's easier to get a feel for the timing in DS1 because the rolls are all consistent.

Bethesda plz.
Other than forcing every dev they own to use idTech 5, there are worse publishers Tango could have been under for this game than Bethesda. A big lengthy single player game with no forced multiplayer or micro transaction bullshit is something I'm okay with them green lighting, hell look at Wolfenstein TNO.

Honestly, the bigger question now is whether or not Mikami will still get to use Tango for what he originally envisioned, which is giving younger talent a chance to direct their own games. Bethesda did buy the studio because they wanted a game with his name on it, but I still hope they can push out smaller, more unique stuff alongside the big projects.

demidar

My main problem with DS2 was how enemy weapons seemed to have a fucking magnet on them that always wanted your dick. That's why I loved the first DLC so much, the tracking bullshit wasn't there, and if it was it was super toned down. That is also why I hate the second DLC so much, the huge enemies with lava damage shield and tracking attacks that all knock you down/kill you in one hit.

I don't have a problem with that because circlestrafe to win was too big of a problem in DS1.

I don't have a problem with that because circlestrafe to win was too big of a problem in DS1.

I never saw it as a flaw. Backstabs are too easy for normal enemies in DaS1, but strafing is just the correct action. It's not devoid of strategy for most enemies, though some are rendered worthless.

Other than forcing every dev they own to use idTech 5, there are worse publishers Tango could have been under for this game than Bethesda. A big lengthy single player game with no forced multiplayer or micro transaction bullshit is something I'm okay with them green lighting, hell look at Wolfenstein TNO.

Honestly, the bigger question now is whether or not Mikami will still get to use Tango for what he originally envisioned, which is giving younger talent a chance to direct their own games. Bethesda did buy the studio because they wanted a game with his name on it, but I still hope they can push out smaller, more unique stuff alongside the big projects.

Mikami has a great track record with his IPs, plus employees from Clover, Platinum, Grasshopper, and Capcpom work at Tango, so I can only expect godliness from the next Mikami game.

This. The circle strafing, along with the absurdly large window for parries, and lack of counter hits is what I don't like about Dark Souls 1 gameplay wise (not to mention how sluggish controls feel after Demon's). Some of the shit people complain about with 2 seems like something I'd be welcome to just for a change. That and it sounds closer to From's old "fuck you" game design that I have a huge fondness for.

This. The circle strafing, along with the absurdly large window for parries, and lack of counter hits is what I don't like about Dark Souls 1 gameplay wise (not to mention how sluggish controls feel after Demon's). Some of the shit people complain about with 2 seems like something I'd be welcome to just for a change. That and it sounds closer to From's old "fuck you" game design that I have a huge fondness for.
I don't know if "fuck you" is the right word for the DeS gameplay. More like good, but janky.

And either I'm just really good at parrying, but the DeS windows weren't that small. Stricter than DS1, bit still pretty easy to parry.

Oh shit yeah Pat has played Dragonfall DC. I bought it on GOG's sale because "that's a fucking cover art"
dragonfallWall1920x1200.jpg
I heard the gameplay is up my street and saw that art and was like "dragons and fantasy in Berlin?" then fucking bought that shit.

I haven't played it yet because I've started Witcher 1 because 99p and I got Witcher 2 free. Man fucking GOG has found a way into my heart very quickly.

demidar

I never saw it as a flaw. Backstabs are too easy for normal enemies in DaS1, but strafing is just the correct action. It's not devoid of strategy for most enemies, though some are rendered worthless.

You can circlestrafe practically every enemy in Dark Souls, though you may need a shield for the tougher ones like Black/Silver Knights.

The only enemy you can't circlestrafe off the top of my head are Titanite Demons (because their collision boxes are awkward) and maybe those large Skeleton Dogs in Tomb of the Giants.

Not counting bosses of course, because if a boss can be circlestrafed they're too :lol to be a boss.

Jman014

Oh shit yeah Pat has played Dragonfall DC. I bought it on GOG's sale because "that's a fucking cover art"

I heard the gameplay is up my street and saw that art and was like "dragons and fantasy in Berlin?" then fucking bought that shit.

I haven't played it yet because I've started Witcher 1 because 99p and I got Witcher 2 free. Man fucking GOG has found a way into my heart very quickly.

Director's Cut is awesome. Hopefully you enjoy it.

croten

As it should. GOG is the best.

You can circlestrafe practically every enemy in Dark Souls, though you may need a shield for the tougher ones like Black/Silver Knights.

The only enemy you can't circlestrafe off the top of my head are Titanite Demons (because their collision boxes are awkward) and maybe those large Skeleton Dogs in Tomb of the Giants.

Not counting bosses of course, because if a boss can be circlestrafed they're too :lol to be a boss.
You circle strafe a good number of them, but most of them have some AoE move to get you.

You don't need a shield for the Black/Silver Knights. Just parry their heavily telegraphed attacks.

demidar

While Pat un-sold me on DA:I on last week's podcast, he totally sold me on Shadowrun: Dragonfall because I loved the shit out of the original Shadowrun.

But DS2's answer to just have enemies spin around like they're standing on a record players is even more bullshit. There are better and more creative ways to deal with the player's circle strafing, but DS2 horribly fails at it with it's spinning enemies and broken hitboxes on overhead swings.

A good answer is having enemies being able to hit you with it's back like the turtle knight does.

Honestly the only thing that prevents circlestrafing is when you're fat rolling, because your movement speed is 2slow. Lots of larger enemies the the demons, dogs, and Sentinels aren't quite so simple, but I actually really don't mind it compared to baiting counter hits. Havel is a good example of a character being hard despite this optimal strategy.

Now I usually play without a shield and roll and strafe through all normal enemies, I can backstab fish black knights and stuff. It's not terribly hard, but I don't really find that a fault in the game. The only really challenging things are bosses, and that's where the challenge always was for me.

I prefer easy over the bullshit record-player tracking overheads. Plus, the bosses are still good.

I don't know if "fuck you" is the right word for the DeS gameplay. More like good, but janky.

And either I'm just really good at parrying, but the DeS windows weren't that small. Stricter than DS1, bit still pretty easy to parry.
I guess it's just the Miyazaki difference or whatever. Stuff like Armored Core and King's Field is still way more challenging than any of the souls games, and part of that is because those games (AC in particular) toe the line between goals you can accomplish and shit that feels nearly unfair. See AC Nexus through Last Raven where nearly every named Raven you fight is literally cheating against the game rules due to Human Plus or OP Intensify. But they can still be beaten.

Dark Souls 2 doesn't sound remotely close to that level, but the changes to that from Dark 1 sound interesting in a way that feel familiar to me as a fan of that developer.

Mikami has a great track record with his IPs, plus employees from Clover, Platinum, Grasshopper, and Capcpom work at Tango, so I can only expect godliness from the next Mikami game.
That's true, but the dude's getting old (already in his late 40s) and his comments about getting too set in your ways or out of touch with your audience after a certain age I feel rings somewhat true with The Evil Within. I liked that game in the end, but there are still some weird decisions in that game that were still his call. A producer role wouldn't be all that bad for while I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom