• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 7: FRIENDER65

Status
Not open for further replies.

360pages

Jade was such an asshole, and came off just as immature as Anise during "the scene"

What's even more is the fact that he tries to give Luke the Silent treatment afterward, when Guy, Natalia and Tear pretty much got over it. Our super adult and mature character didn't act any better than a 13 year old girl. Even more funny since everything was his fucking fault anyway!

croten

Never played Xcom. I do really like the Final Fantasy Tactics games, though. It's been forever since I traded in VC, though; I just remember it feeling really loose and awkward.

Well that's by design. Your characters movement is restricted by AP much like the movement radius in Tactics, shooting isn't completely accurate because you need to have a chance to miss like in any tactical RPG. Because you aim it gives you priority over what you shoot so you go for their head or take out the treads on a tank.

I never actually played FF5. Maybe I'll get around to it one day.

FF5 is the best FF from a combat point of view, since it's essentially what they made Bravely Default into, but the story is end of Final Fantasy being goddamn silly as shit. Like, you run into an alien werewolf who flew in on a meteor at one point. It's super weird.

Squall is a terrible character himself, the people around him that make him look more like a dumb idiot make him more likable. Though FF8 probably has the least likable cast of any JRPG I've played, more so than Tales of the Abyss.

I love Abyss, but hate the cast so much. At least the cast in VIII doesn't fucking implode by the end of the first act

360pages

I love Abyss, but hate the cast so much. At least the cast in VIII doesn't fucking implode by the end of the first act

It honestly find the villains in Tales of the Abyss to be more interesting than the main cast.

Compare Arietta who was raised by monsters and can talk to them...with Anise...who is Anise. Really, it's like they shoved all the interesting characters to the bad guy side and where stuck with idiots.

I disliked the Abyss cast but they were more or less entertaining, as where the FF8 cast was bad and boring, which just made me hate them more.

8 seems to have suffered a great deal from translator choices/errors. It's really interesting looking up the things that are different between what we got and what it's in the original.

For instance: ...whatever almost always has a different context

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I wouldn't say he's excellent at all, but uh...I liked Zack from Crisis Core.
Are we talking solely about main protagonists? Because Vivi from FF9 comes to mind as well.

I like Zack.

Yeah, I wanted to stick to main protags since those are the ones that tend to be shells.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I also really like Yuri Hyuga from Shadow Hearts (Covenant).

300px-Yuri.jpg

Shadow Hearts Covenant just had a really likeable cast all around.

I think she's a good character that got butchered along with the rest of the series. Getting 13-2 was not worth the price of admission

Yeah, I actually think in the first 13 Lightning isn't a terrible character. She has reasons for acting the way she does and I thought her whole backstory was pretty interesting. After that, though... blegh.

Worst Birthday Ever, though.

Xiraiya

8 seems to have suffered a great deal from translator choices/errors. It's really interesting looking up the things that are different between what we got and what it's in the original.

I always wondered about that with the story.

VIII has issues but I always liked Squall a great deal more than basically every FF protagonist, Zack comes pretty close. But most people can't look at 8 without the typical "Oh look at the grumpy emo guy" stuff, so oh well.

I didn't know anything about the FF series until I played 7 and 8 and also 10 pretty close together.
I didn't enjoy 7, I loved pretty much everything about 8 except for Irvine and a few party members.

I liked the setting of 10, but I hated pretty much the entire cast, that game should have been Jecht, Auron and Braska's amazing bro journey.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

For instance: ...whatever almost always has a different context

I remember Aeana saying the translation seems pretty spot on in most places. I don't think it really changes how you're supposed to perceive Squall.

I always wondered.

VIII has issues but I always liked Squall a great deal more than basically every FF protagonist, Zack comes pretty close. But most people can't look at 8 without the typical "Oh look at the grumpy emo guy" stuff, so og well.

I didn't know anything about the FF series until I played 7 and 8 and also 10 pretty close together.

I didn't enjoy 7, I loved pretty much everything about 8 except for Irvine and a few party members.

I liked the setting of 10, but I hated pretty much the entire cast, that game should have been Jecht, Auron and Braska's amazing bro journey.

I first played 2 & 3 on the SNES, but I love 7 most out of all of them.

10-2 should've been the bro-adtrip, like Crisis Core for 7. Have it be a tragically destined journey of the three of them.

Squishy3

guys i'm about to ruin the boss' character harder than matt thinks they ruined it in peacewalker

the boss is pearl, mr. krabs' daughter from spongebob

Village

I finally saw that overwatch stuff

They got me from the cgi trailer

* sees a dude with a skill mask in a long ass black coat duel welding pistols drapped in futuristic western attirere with a mystical shot gun and moves with black smoke*

"YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAA!"

My friend: you always like the edgiest shit

" Fuck you get hype. "

So I decided to rip the SBF intro and take the first five seconds to make a gif as a potential header for the next thread (yes I am going that far ahead). I just need to make the Liam > Matt loop a little smoother I think. Maybe drop some frames so that it doesn't take forever to load. Link for easier loading of page.

http://giant.gfycat.com/FewHollowLacewing.gif

Or better yet, make the P1-4 screen that follows just stick around for a few frames.

I wouldn't say her reasons justify her actions by any means. I personally despise the character and find that her addition to the story was more harmful than anything else.
But agree to disagree, I suppose.

I like the whole trope of "my family getting rescued is more important than you" thing. The story dropped the ball on that, but Lightning herself isn't terrible.

Alfebit

Banned
I finally saw that overwatch stuff

They got me from the cgi trailer

* sees a dude with a skill mask in a long ass black coat duel welding pistols drapped in futuristic western attirere with a mystical shot gun and moves with black smoke*

"YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAA!"

My friend: you always like the edgiest shit

" Fuck you get hype. "

image.php

Yeah, I actually think in the first 13 Lightning isn't a terrible character. She has reasons for acting the way she does and I thought her whole backstory was pretty interesting. After that, though... blegh.

Worst Birthday Ever, though.

I disagree. I shared that sentiment until I tried to replay it when it hit Steam. I was legit shook when I realized that she is even worse than Hope.
Hope has reasons for acting the way he does- Lightning is quite a bit ways older, and is actually a soldier yet she manages to be more of a whiny child than Hope is.
(don't give me that "she's damaged because she had to grow up on her own and tried to force herself to grow up quickly by calling herself Lightning", a stupid name that she kept even when she's 21 or whatever)
She has her little temper tantrums and man do I hate her.

I dislike Lightning more than the rest of the cast, which is certainly a feat.
Sazh shoulda been the only character.

This is all ignoring the sequels, in which they possibly/most likely ruin Sazh.

So I decided to rip the SBF intro and take the first five seconds to make a gif as a potential header for the next thread (yes I am going that far ahead). I just need to make the Liam > Matt loop a little smoother I think. Maybe drop some frames so that it doesn't take forever to load.

Or better yet, make the P1-4 screen that follows just stick around for a few frames.
Man 2Snacks really pulled out all the stops for this. It's so fucking good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom