• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 7: FRIENDER65

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess either I simply haven't seen this stylish magic usage, or we have extremely different definitions of stylish.

Shoot off a soul spear, roll out of the way, taunt, roll, homing soul mass, roll, taunt, soul spear. Most bosses are dead after that stylish performance. Friend's didn't believe me, but I beat most bosses while taunting in front of them and they changed their minds.

Xiraiya

Yeah, because magic is more fun when you learn the build. You get to style all day and nothing can touch you.

So easy = fun, well you know, Liam and Woolie agree as anything tough makes them be like "THAT IS BULLSHIT" and then they hate it.

Which, is just hilarious.

I went with a Magic build as my second character in DS1 and it just made the game a total joke. I'd never suggest someone use magic as their first play through on a Souls game.

croten

Shoot off a soul spear, roll out of the way, taunt, roll, homing soul mass, roll, taunt, soul spear. Most bosses are dead after that stylish performance. Friend's didn't believe me, but I beat most bosses while taunting in front of them and they changed their minds.

That still sounds awful. I mean that would be more fun with a Dex or Str build

Zenfalcia

I went with a Magic build as my second character in DS1 and it just made the game a total joke. I'd never suggest someone use magic as their first play through on a Souls game.

*cough* woolie *cough* also he's resorted to laming it out with a crossbow. That crossbow has been a playthrough ruiner, it made him even more defensive than he already was.

Xiraiya

If people like magic characters in general there's obviously nothing wrong with playing that way, but you have to accept it is what it is.

If they do it their first time it won't be OP, grasping the systems, what points to put where , where you get new spells and what equipment to use require knowledge of the game and if you're not using a guide it makes magic pretty much useless after a certain point.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Different strokes, but that doesn't really sound stylish to me. Adding taunts doesn't automatically make it stylish.

Homing soul mass is a spell that is the antithesis of stylish for me.

If you swapped up close and risky spells/pyromancies on the fly, then I'd consider it, but I'd still have to see it.

That still sounds awful. I mean that would be more fun with a Dex or Str build

I'll do an LP and show you all the wonders of magic one day, when my friend beats it and stops putting the whole thing off for that reason. You'll all see that magic is the one true way to play souls.

Different strokes, but that doesn't really sound stylish to me. Adding taunts doesn't automatically make it stylish.

The taunts themselves aren't the stylish part, the fact that you have time to do taunts non-stop is what shows it's the stylish way.

croten

If they do it their first time it won't be OP, grasping the systems, what points to put where , where you get new spells and what equipment to use require knowledge of the game and if you're not using a guide it makes magic pretty much useless after a certain point.

Well in DS1 soul arrow allowed you to breeze through the beginning of the game. By the time you get to the tough stuff you've figured out what you need to know

I'll do an LP and show you all the wonders of magic one day, when my friend beats it and stops putting the whole thing off for that reason. You'll all see that magic is the one true way to play souls.

The taunts themselves aren't the stylish part, the fact that you have time to do taunts non-stop is what shows it's the stylish way.

FUCKING CASUAL

*cough* woolie *cough* also he's resorted to laming it out with a crossbow. That crossbow has been a playthrough ruiner, it made him even more defensive than he already was.

It did make some parts boring to watch, but at the same time it saved us a lot of time on watching him get wrecked by something over and over and over. I know I would have been pissed had they put out a 30 minute video of him just dying over and over to the same enemy.

Salt is awesome, but only in small doses before it just becomes irritating to see.

If people like magic characters in general there's obviously nothing wrong with playing that way, but you have to accept it is what it is.

Nothing wrong with it but I just don't think that;s how Souls games are meant to be played. Similarly, I don't think shields were meant to be used the way most people used them either. That's why both of these things are absent from Bloodborne.

It can be OP depending on how quick that player is at picking up how to gimp the game by abusing it. It puts them into a comfort zone that develops bad habits as well. Woolie's a prime example of it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

But you're putting in self-restricting limitations that aren't encouraged by the game design. Magic is a crutch is the Souls games by design.

Someone with a melee build could do what you did with taunts, and it would take more skill and be more stylish.

But you're putting in self-restricting limitations that aren't encouraged by the game design.
Someone with a melee build could do what you did with taunts, and it would take more skill and be more stylish.

Magic is the only way to be elegantly smooth. STR and DEX builds just don't have the same flow of style as magic.

Xiraiya

Nothing wrong with it but I just don't think that;s how Souls games are meant to be played. Similarly, I don't think shields were meant to be used the way most people used them either.

My point is though, if regular Melee was the most easy and OP way to play Dark Souls games instead of general magic. I would play that way regardless, but I wouldn't go around defending it just to justify my choice in playing that way, I don't care, I just want to play the character I want to play.

If Aaron wants to be a caster, that's his choice, but don't try to make excuses for it, it is what it is.

That's all.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Magic is the only way to be elegantly smooth. STR and DEX builds just don't have the same flow of style as magic.

I think we really do have different definitions of stylish.

The fact that you have more time to taunt means that you can do so fairly effortlessly without risk. I really don't think you can have style unless you have risk or impressive manual dexterity/reaction/prediction. Unless you consider God of War stylish.

My point is though, if regular Melee was the most easy and OP way to play Dark Souls games instead of general magic. I would play that way regardless, but I wouldn't go around defending it just to justify my choice in playing that way, I don't care, I just want to play the character I want to play.

If Aaron wants to be a caster, that's his choice, but don't try to make excuses for it, it is what it is.

That's all.

Right. There's nothing wrong with magic use. It's simply inherently lame (FGC definition). Which is perfectly fine.

Mathaou

legacy of cane

That's all.

My first souls game was DS2, and I started as a mage, but I gave myself a sword and became a lightweight mage knight.

joe2187

Banned
motherfuckers dont even parry.

just walk right up to invaders all relaxed an shit and let em take the first swing, getting that parry off is the best. The satisfaction...

The indictments, oh the wonderful wonderful indictments.

If you want style play DMC or another character action game but DS is about slower paced melee combat.

Exactly, I'm making methodical fights into fast takedowns, which wasn't what was intended by the game, which in my eyes is way more stylish.

just walk right up to invaders all relaxed an shit and let em take the first swing, getting that parry off is the best. The satisfaction...

Velka's Rapier is my weapon, parries for days with great damage from INT.

Zenfalcia

It did make some parts boring to watch, but at the same time it saved us a lot of time on watching him get wrecked by something over and over and over. I know I would have been pissed had they put out a 30 minute video of him just dying over and over to the same enemy.

Salt is awesome, but only in small doses before it just becomes irritating to see.

I agree, it also didn't help woolie wasn't getting enough sleep during some playthroughs and the long breaks in between are killing his improvements. It made him go back to making the same mistakes and getting frustrated. After getting frustrated then he becomes super careless, which is what darksouls 2 is all about.

I agree, but at the same time if he doesn't figure it out what he's doing wrong, then he'll keep doing the same mistake. Like overheads and always getting hit by them.

All this just reminds me how far the Souls series has to go to reach the same level of balance across multiple playstyles that Armored Core has achieved.

Armored Core, still From's best series.

Xiraiya

I never successfully parried anyone in PVP in DS1, lag never allowed it, I was really good with it in PVE and I loved it.

I find Dark Souls combat to be really right up my ally, but the constant delay and lag makes it much harder for me than it really needs to be, but I make do.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Velka's Rapier is my weapon, parries for days with great damage from INT.

At that point, you're playing a hybrid build. Parries are inherently stylish if incorporated into your close range magic usage (to me, this is really the only way to have a stylish magic build).

Sitting back and taunting isn't.

At that point, you're playing a hybrid build. Parries are inherently stylish if incorporated into your close range playstyle.

I parry every small enemy I can on the way to the boss, then I stand next to them and taunt while killing with spells.

demidar

At that point, you're playing a hybrid build. Parries are inherently stylish if incorporated into your close range magic usage (to me, this is really the only way to have a stylish magic build).

I can imagine someone running to the ends of the arena to start taunting; "Man I's so stylish" they say to themselves as they are completely removed from danger.

croten

Exactly, I'm making methodical fights into fast takedowns, which wasn't what was intended by the game, which in my eyes is way more stylish.

No this is stylish
Right+back+at+ya+b+tch+game+devil+may+cry+4+can_a942db_4381297.gif

Notice the lack of shitty DS magic?

joe2187

Banned
I never successfully parried anyone in PVP in DS1, lag never allowed it, I was really good with it in PVE and I loved it.

I find Dark Souls combat to be really right up my ally, but the constant delay and lag makes it much harder for me than it really needs to be, but I make do.

I did so much PVP in DS1, The forest was my playground.

Getting ganked by three people at once and successfully trolling them around the trees and killing the world player and then getting instantly indicted always gave me the biggest boner.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

The difference is that it was intended. Because magic is supposed to make things easier for people with difficulty fighting up close.

I parry every small enemy I can on the way to the boss, then I stand next to them and taunt while killing with spells.

Wouldn't you then say that the style is based around your build and your own method of playstyle rather than any inherent stylish value in magic? Because you could do all of these things without magic.

I can make a game of Snake look stylish by cutting corners and taking high risks. That doesn't mean that there's inherent value in it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
That's about what a Magic build looks like if play correctly, except instead of grabbing the enemies attack you just do your own.

You say "correctly", but it's really not the intended way to play a Magic build at all. I understand that you're trying to interesting and creative ways of incorporating magic, but nothing about what you're saying is efficient for a magic build or inherent to a magic build. You would get the exact same results by running away and casting those spells. Your visual reward is not something that is a part of using magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom