• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.
People don't like change. That's why they like war, because war never changes.

It's finnneee.. Most people are pretty open and accepting.

pB3YRMY.png

Like that's the official concept art for Hyrule Warriors. There's nothing sexually offensive about it, so people were just buttmad over a gender swap.

The internet is delicious.

I don't want a female Link. I'd play the hell out of a Zelda-esque game with a female lead, and I would if I hadn't mucked up Ittle Dew's controls.

I am so onboard with a male Link teaming up with a female Zelda that that's the last part of the formula I want changed. I'd take a Lady Ganon over female Link.

360pages

To be fair, most people don't want a girly female protagonist (Lets not even start thinking about how sexist that is) So you're female either has to be super hardcore no smiling ever! Or a side character.

That is why I somewhat enjoy the Atelier games somewhat, if the character enjoys or like cute things than their design should match that.

croten

I don't want a female Link. I'd play the hell out of a Zelda-esque game with a female lead, and I would if I hadn't mucked up Ittle Dew's controls.

I am so onboard with a male Link teaming up with a female Zelda that that's the last part of the formula I want changed. I'd take a Lady Ganon over female Link.

Why does links gender matter? It's he has a character to begin with. They're even getting rid of the classic tunic

mike0dude

To be fair, most people don't want a girly female protagonist (Lets not even start thinking about how sexist that is) So you're female either has to be super hardcore no smiling ever! Or a side character.

That is why I somewhat enjoy the Atelier games somewhat, if the character enjoys or like cute things than their design should match that.

what about Bayonetta or that girl from Lolipop Chainsaw?

I would love more female protagonists in general, and especially cutesy girly ones. I love that stuff. If the game had no fanservice to boot it'd be a great thing to show people.

Zenfalcia

Is that such a big problem to just switch the formula up?

Nothing wrong with that

Nothing wrong at all..

Sigh. I don't wanna sound like I'm being a stick in the mud, but it just feel like changing Link into a girl undermines the very little characterization the guy has. Even if he's not a character, just swapping genders for no reason has me asking "why".

It just feels weird next to all the other Zelda canon. Maybe I'm being too sensitive. Obviously the only reason Link is male is because back when Zelda first began, young males were the primary audience, so it was to give them a proxy character.
Seems like the USA just can't write a fun Female lead character for shit
It's mainly that marketing would tell you it wouldn't sell for shit. There's some evidence that female leads hurt sales, which I'm sure they see as gospel. They had a hard time getting Ellie on the box of TLOU.

Zenfalcia

I would love more female protagonists in general, and especially cutesy girly ones. I love that stuff. If the game had no fanservice to boot it'd be a great thing to show people.

Well, have you played the Aterlier games? Those have girl protagonists and some of them are adorable. Atelier Ayesha is supposed to be super sweet and great.
I saw her first and called dibs

Sharing is caring!

Sigh. I don't wanna sound like I'm being a stick in the mud, but it just feel like changing Link into a girl undermines the very little characterization the guy has. Even if he's not a character, just swapping genders for no reason has me asking "why".

It just feels weird next to all the other Zelda canon. Maybe I'm being too sensitive. Obviously the only reason Link is male is because back when Zelda first began, young males were the primary audience, so it was to give them a proxy character.

What if it's like Link's sister or something. Just a girl that is similar to Link?

Or that usually 'girly females' are really annoying in Japanese games, unless you like kawaii moe stuff. And usually when you don't have the super hardcore female, they end up being like Other M Samus where their character development is just being a crying waifu for the man to protect.
Easy example being Hyrule Warriors itself. Lana is infuriating, Impa is not.
SS Princess Zelda is great, but she isn't a protagonist.

It's not an audience problem, it's the writers. JP writers make the 'girly females' otaku bait and American writers don't like female protagonists in general (or aren't allowed to because they don't make as much money apparently).

croten

It's mainly that marketing would tell you it wouldn't sell for shit. There's some evidence that female leads hurt sales, which I'm sure they see as gospel. They had a hard time getting Ellie on the box of TLOU.

Reminds me of when Bioshock infinite's boxart removed Elizabeth from the cover because focus testing said that having the gun toting male lead on the cover was more important.

mike0dude

You guys have anything you watch every holiday time?

Gremlins, Die hard , Die hard 2, Die hard 3(not Christmas but you can't watch 1 and 2 without 3), Lethal Weapon 1 to 3, Jingle All the way, Rocky 1 to 4 and maybe Balboa, national lampoon's christmas vacation

It's not an audience problem, it's the writers. JP writers make the 'girly females' otaku bait and American writers don't like female protagonists in general (or aren't allowed to because they don't make as much money apparently).
That's my problem with Juliet. The fanservice damages the carefree fun attitude she has.
Reminds me of when Bioshock infinite's boxart removed Elizabeth from the cover because focus testing said that having the gun toting male lead on the cover was more important.
Yeah! That was the other example I was forgetting. Since games are such a huge financial risk for devs, they tend to not be able to go against things like that.

Squishy3

Making Link female doesn't really do anything, though. It's just making him female for the sake of making him female, because Link has no characterization of his own anyway. People would still find something to bitch about.
Just make a game with Zelda as a lead that isn't a 2D platformer where she uses exaggerated emotions to defeat enemies like a certain other Nintendo character and it's fine.

Jman014

Dawn of War 2 Retribution had a female Imperial inquisitor by the name of Adrastia on the cover of the box. She looked cool

Dawn_of_war_ii_retribution_0boxart_160w.jpg

EDIT: Adrastia

Wonder why that is, because it seems like every other aspect of the video game industry requires people who are incredibly solid on their work.

It's probably because its way easier to find good programmers and coders rather then find good story writers that can write a good game script.

croten

Then it shouldn't be named the Legend of Zelda. Link may have been the player, but the importance of his journey has revolved around Zelda. Like Lancelot to King Author.

It's not like The Legend of Zelda games have an iron clad lore. What you call a Zelda game where you play as Zelda if not The Legend of Zelda?

croten

Making Link female doesn't really do anything, though. It's just making him female for the sake of making him female, because Link has no characterization of his own anyway. People would still find something to bitch about.
Just make a game with Zelda as a lead that isn't a 2D platformer where she uses exaggerated emotions to defeat enemies like a certain other Nintendo character and it's fine.

Yes, I don't see the issue with that. It wouldn't affect the plot or gameplay in any way. I'm not sure about playing as Zelda though because outside some incarnations she's not really a fighter. A Tetra game on the other hand...

Dawn of War 2 Retribution had a female Imperial inquisitor by the name of Adrastia on the cover of the box. She looked cool

Dawn_of_war_ii_retribution_0boxart_160w.jpg

EDIT: Adrastia

For those who don't know, DoW 2, Chaos Rising, and Retribution are all on sale for 20 bucks total.

Edit: Whoops it expired, my bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom