• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xiraiya

I guess I have to watch now if it's Seinfeld funny.
They set the premise up in episode 3 (The first episode was a double episode filler special) and then you can more or less skip around, because it's so episodic, you're not going to be that lost unless you jump like 100 episodes in.

Actually I think things are interesting post time skip, but post the ice place with the poison gas guy. The current arc is really interesting and feels like a huge event for the series.

Post timeskip just got super real tho guy

Pat is at G8 from what I remember him telling me. Stopped right when it was gonna get interesting.

I haven't started Dressrosa, but when the anime finishes it I'm gonna marathon it. Fuck Punk Hazard, though.

Beloved

Probably the funniest bit about the David Cage thing and "he looks like a frenchman!" is that, like, I am a frenchman. Technically, anyway. I'm not very good at it, but the last name speaks for itself.

You're not going to show up one day and be like "IT'S ME, DAVID CAGE! I'VE BEEN DAVID CAGE ALL ALONG!" are you?

Beloved

I haven't started Dressrosa, but when the anime finishes it I'm gonna marathon it. Fuck Punk Hazard, though.

Man Punk Hazard was hella boring like 75% of the time. I got bored and stopped reading it for almost a year before I caught up. Annnnd now I'm way behind again, even though I know the current arc is really good.

sjack

Banned
One Piece is good, but post-time-skip makes it hard to recommend.

Really? Because it's all the post-time skip stuff that made me interested in it. I'm ep 208 at the moment. Might read the manga version of the Long Island arc since it seems like a giant distraction.

I agree! Thanks Santa!

You're welcome Spider Man, I do what I can!

One Piece is good, but post-time-skip makes it hard to recommend.

And isn't Pat like 300 episodes in?

I'd say anyone that enjoys a good classic shonen should love the Pre-Grandline stuff, but after that it just starts decreasing in quality imo, with some high points like Water 7. I keep thinking about catching up with the time skip, but I can't see it getting better for me.

Not to mention it parodies everything this thread cares about, from JoJo to TTGL, even EVA.

I'm sure everyone in this thread would like Gintama, but I fully understand why they don't want to read it or would drop it. Nothing you can do.

Definitely. Marathoning the arcs is the way to watch that series considering they waste 5-10 minutes each episode on the introduction.

Friend and I watched all of Fishman Island week by week and went fucking insane with how little happened in each episode.

Man Punk Hazard was hella boring like 75% of the time. I got bored and stopped reading it for almost a year before I caught up. Annnnd now I'm way behind again, even though I know the current arc is really good.

Punk Hazard had a few really hype moments, that were all near the end and had hours of nothing leading into them, with then next to no payoff at the end. Such a disappointment.

Really? Because it's all the post-time skip stuff that made me interested in it. I'm ep 208 at the moment. Might read the manga version of the Long Island arc since it seems like a giant distraction.

The post time-skip stuff just suffers from a shit ton of shonen tropes that earlier stuff subverted a lot of. There's also next to no struggle against any enemies at any point, since the entire crew is super OP at this point.

I'd say anyone that enjoys a good classic shonen should love the Pre-Grandline stuff, but after that it just starts decreasing in quality imo, with some high points like Water 7. I keep thinking about catching up with the time skip, but I can't see it getting better for me.

I'd say the best of the show is from Arlong to Water 7, everything before and after that isn't as good.

Beloved

Punk Hazard had a few really hype moments, that were all near the end and had hours of nothing leading into them, with then next to no payoff at the end. Such a disappointment.

Yep, but it's fine overall, Oda is very consistent and has clearly gotten back into stride with Dressarosa

mike0dude

You guys think Pat could watch Strong World ? I mean he's not nearly up to there but he's pretty much spoiled on all the Crew Members from just walking down a street in Japan. It's before timeskip too so he isn't spoiled on the Big events.

What about Marineford? I'm not there yet, but from what I've glimpsed from it, it looks incredible.

Oh, shit, forgot about that. I'd say that arc has the best moments of the entire series, but at least in the anime a lot of it was drug out. That's definitely there with Water 7, though.

We could set up a stream and have a bestgaf let's watch

Actually now that a bunch of us are on break soon, we should start watching LPs together or something. synchtube or instasynch could work.

We could also crash those tumblr group watches, but I don't wanna bother those guys if we overpower them.

mike0dude

Actually now that a bunch of us are on break soon, we should start watching LPs together or something. synchtube or instasynch could work.

We could also crash those tumblr group watches, but I don't wanna bother those guys if we overpower them.

Or we could just go to the tbfstream, they are nice.

You guys think Pat could watch Strong World ? I mean he's not nearly up to there but he's pretty much spoiled on all the Crew Members from just walking down a street in Japan. It's pretty timeskip too so he isn't spoiled on the Big events.

You gotta watch Strong World directly after Thriller Bark, since directly after that is when it goes into the events leading into the time-skip.

Z... Eh, nobody needs to watch Z.

Beloved

Bad One Piece is better than even the best Naruto and Bleach. Good to hear it's good again, though.

I can't really agree with that because the best Bleach arcs are definitely better than Punk Hazard.

Overall OP is a higher quality manga than Bleach or Naruto though, in terms of writing at least.

I can't really agree with that because the best Bleach arcs are definitely better than Punk Hazard.

Overall OP is a higher quality manga than Bleach or Naruto though, in terms of writing at least.

Even good Bleach is filled with such bullshit that I can't even care. The best of the series was Rukia and in retrospect that whole arc was nonsense and bullshit.

Hey guys what kinds of fighting do you guys like the most that isnt a normal way of fighting.
I ask cause I have a major hard on for dance fighting.

sjack

Banned
I'm really shocked that Punk Hazard is derided by so many considering it's the introduction of the whole Law-Luffy alliance where I really started getting interested in pursuing One Piece beyond simply reading tid bits in the wiki and watching clips on youtube.

Was that the one with the plant people?

Mustache pirates best crew.

It's the one where this guy does some bullshit and they have a cool fight in a volcano.
giphy.gif

Yeah, bleach is kind of terrible. And I watched the entire thing.

I don't even hate Bleach, but it's fucking garbage.

I disagree, Z is in the top 3 one piece Movies IMO. up there with Baron Omatsuri , Dead End Adventure and Strong World

Strong World is the only One Piece movie I feel is worth anything, Z is good for some cool action, but everything else in it is pretty whatever.

360pages

I really don't mind bullshit in my manga as Much as I use to. As long as there is a coherent plot with fun characters it's all good. Though recently even something as simple as that is being lost in story telling.

The post time-skip stuff just suffers from a shit ton of shonen tropes that earlier stuff subverted a lot of. There's also next to no struggle against any enemies at any point, since the entire crew is super OP at this point.

I'd say the best of the show is from Arlong to Water 7, everything before and after that isn't as good.

Arlong is my favorite arc, when I rewatched the pre-Grandline stuff, I was really surprised by how much more I was enjoying it. (The pacing issues definitely mar the experience in the later arcs)
And yeah, I prefer when every fight is a struggle, but I hate the "Oh he died! lolnohedidn't" nonsense that really began go to overboard in Crocodile's arc. Even though I love Crocodile, Luffy 'died' like 3 times, and I actually raged when that bird guy came back. Why should I feel any tension when I know no one will actually get hurt in any meaningful way?
I felt so much more with
Going Merry's funeral
than anything else post-Arlong.
Ace's death
was spoiled to me, and the anime stretched it out between episodes so it removed alot of the impact.

I'm really shocked that Punk Hazard is derided by so many considering it's the introduction of the
whole Law-Luffy alliance
where I really started getting interested in pursuing One Piece beyond simply reading tid bits in the wiki and watching clips on youtube.

Punk Hazard had a lot of important bits, characters and the overall plot moved forward, but the arc itself was pretty boring, that's why people didn't like it.

I'd probably join in, I saw a little bit of one of those tumblr group watches and it seems like a lot of fun.

Hey guys what kinds of fighting do you guys like the most that isnt a normal way of fighting.
I ask cause I have a major hard on for dance fighting.

Dance fighting is so radical

That's because you watched it as a movie about the Straw Hats when really it's a movie About Z.

Yeah but I didn't know or give a shit about Z and was all of a suddenly supposed to. My familiarity and love of the Straw Hats is a very large part of what I enjoy about One Piece, single characters that were only referenced in tie-in filler episodes a few days before the movie came out are hardly established enough for me to care about an entire movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom