• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xiraiya

They aren't "Canon" because there were no impact from them in the One Piece universe.

If something was written by the original author, it's canon because then it's official material, not fanfiction, that's what canon means, regardless of impact on the manga's plot.

croten

Both Strong World and Z were overseen by Oda directly, so they're both Canon, even if Z has no impact on the manga.

That's not exactly how cannon works. Things written by people other than the main writer can be cannon, look at Star Wars before Disney was involved.

mike0dude

If something was written by the original author, it's canon because then it's official material, not fanfiction, that's what canon means, regardless of impact on the manga's plot.

Only Strong world was written by Oda so I can let that one maybe slide BUT
Only shiki is canon since he was indeed mentioned in the manga, but the movie itself isn't

Z wasn't written by Oda but the guy who wrote it did a stellar job.

I'm ok with all of you thinking them as Canon if you want
but you are wrong... (jk)

Squishy3

I did read that part already, but it still doesn't make any sense
Alright, part 4 Jojos spoilers:

The Stand Arrow (and by proxy, Stands themselves) essentially grants people what they need in that particular moment. That's why Kira got Bites The Dust. He needed a way to save himself from being exposed, and so he received Bites The Dust. This keeps in line with the thinking behind Koichi's stand, which kept evolving with new abilities whenever he was in a pinch. Killer Queen works the same way. In part 3 this is also evidenced by Star Platinum, and DIO would likely not have lost to Jotaro if he had not spent all his time training time stop and had actually improved the strength of his Stand too. Same type of stand, so if DIO spent his time practicing more than just time stop he would have been able to match Star Platinum's strength at the end, would be my guess.

croten

Alright, part 4 Jojos spoilers:

The Stand Arrow (and by proxy, Stands themselves) essentially grants people what they need in that particular moment. That's why Kira got Bites The Dust. He needed a way to save himself from being exposed, and so he received Bites The Dust. This keeps in line with the thinking behind Koichi's stand, which kept evolving with new abilities whenever he was in a pinch. Killer Queen works the same way. In part 3 this is also evidenced by Star Platinum, and DIO would likely not have lost to Jotaro if he had not spent all his time training time stop and had actually improved the strength of his Stand too. Same type of stand, so if DIO spent his time practicing more than just time stop he would have been able to match Star Platinum's strength at the end, would be my guess.

Wasn't ZA WARDU stronger than Star Platinum?

Yeah, and it's working for me. I'll paste it again.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant it brings me to a "you do not have permission to view this page" even after registering. I'm probably doing something wrong, but y'know, it's fine.

Stardust crusaders spoiler
Ummmm no? In their battle, SP literally cracked The worlds leg with the power of his punches

Squishy3

No, DIO thought it wa equal but The World couldn't withstand Star Platinum's punches at the end of the fight. Star Platinums outer skin/armor whatever began to crack, but The World's shattered completely exposing the muscle underneath, indicating it wasn't as strong.

Xiraiya

Things written by people other than the main writer can be cannon.
I'm not disagreeing, I'm just straight up saying, if you have the original creator's involvement in it's conception and writing, then it's safe to regard as canon unless the author straight up is like "No it's not", it may not always have an established chronological space within the story because the author didn't think that much about it, but it's official material regardless.

Basically my rule of thumb with canon, or I guess part of it's definition is anything created with involvement of the original author is canon, they created that world, they would know what's up, it would be retarded at that point to dismiss them.

I've been having a hard time getting back in to Persona 3, i'm stuck at the sleeping table boss and all this grinding is sucking all the energy out of me, right now i would of enjoyed it if the whole game was a giant dating/S-link sim

sjack

Banned
Ummmm no? In their battle, SP literally cracked The worlds leg with the power of his punches

Depends if we're talking OG Star Platinum or ZA WARDO Star Platinum. OG Star Platinum barely edges out the World in stats, with the major advantages being Precision and Durability. They have the same strength stat, but DIO says the World slightly edges out Star Platinum in strength.

No, DIO thought it wa equal but The World couldn't withstand Star Platinum's punches at the end of the fight. Star Platinums outer skin/armor whatever began to crack, but The World's shattered completely exposing the muscle underneath, indicating it wasn't as strong.

I think it's less about straight up brute strength, and more about which is stand is more durable, which is clearly Jotaro's.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant it brings me to a "you do not have permission to view this page" even after registering. I'm probably doing something wrong, but y'know, it's fine.

Sorry hereis the actual link...

Depends if we're talking OG Star Platinum or ZA WARDO Star Platinum. OG Star Platinum barely edges out the World in stats, with the major advantages being Precision and Durability. They have the same strength stat, but DIO says the World slightly edges out Star Platinum in strength.
the only difference between SP: TW and og SP is time stop. Plus this is Dio of course he would think his stand is stronger than anyones. Hed probably think that the world was better then GER

Zenfalcia

I've been having a hard time getting back in to Persona 3, i'm stuck at the sleeping table boss and all this grinding is sucking all the energy out of me, right now i would of enjoyed it if the whole game was a giant dating/S-link sim

That boss was tough. I also gave up around there and finally beat it after using magic mirrors and some luck.

The first 4 months or so of the game are undoubtedly the weakest parts of the game. Tough it out and you won't be able to put it down around August or so when it gets really good.

So I just finished playing Mirror's Edge again on PS3. Finished on normal, did not use guns on enemies. Those last three chapters are still dogshit. Most of my other thoughts on that game still stand after all these years, though as time goes on I find myself more frustrated with the no gun approach and how limited that game's combat is.

Please look forward to the future when I make my own first person parkour game that makes this look like amateur work.

So I just finished playing Mirror's Edge again on PS3. Finished on normal, did not use guns on enemies. Those last three chapters are still dogshit. Most of my other thoughts on that game still stand after all these years, though as time goes on I find myself more frustrated with the no gun approach and how limited that game's combat is.

Please look forward to the future when I make my own first person parkour game that makes this look like amateur work.

Add in chivalry combat instead of guns :v

croten

The level "Kate" has one of my favorite parts followed by my least favorite part.

Xiraiya

Also Pat, regarding invasion healing, invaders have ALWAYS had ways to heal themselves, there are loopholes around it in both DS1 and DS2, from what I've seen.

Estsus is the only healing they can't use, I don't know about Lifegems or spells but I believe humanity in DS1 would fully heal even during invasion, which was fucking retarded, and I've had invaders in DS2 heal themselves by using an item.

Blocking only Estus makes no sense.

mike0dude

That wiki gets a ton of shit wrong and either way, the events of the movie are referenced afterwards in the manga, there's a chapter detailing all of Shiki's past, Shiki is referenced before the movie and it was written by Oda. It's canon.

find me an SBS of Oda saying it's canon or not and I won't disagree with you anymore but until then let's just drop it before we start saying things that hurt each others feelings

sjack

Banned
the only thing that changes for za warudo is that its durability decreases dramatically. Strength stays at A

Yeah that's what I mean. Along with development potential as well, but that's such a nebulous stat, that it might as well not mean anything.

Ok guys whats better about travel, food or sight seeing?
Food, if I go somewhere I wanna see the different stuff their burger king/pizza hut/whatever has different from us, I don't wanna look like no dirty TOURIST

How were you fighting dudes? Also please do, I fucking loved ME

Add in chivalry combat instead of guns :v
I was thinking more like flash bombs and caltrops and shit that lets you deal with enemies without having to kill your fucking momentum.

The disarm mechanic is terrible, and when you have to fight Celeste on the boat that melee system is just so poor.

The level "Kate" has one of my favorite parts followed by my least favorite part.
It's the climbing the atrium bit followed by escaping the building to the ground floor? Yeah, fuck that shit.

That first chapter after the prologue is still the best part of the game. Everything else steadily goes down hill, only getting slightly better in "Kate" only to go back to terrible in "Shard."

Man, fuck the Shard. The concept of ascending an absurdly huge vertical space is something I like in game (also comes with being a MegaTen fan), but they fucked that shit up at several opportunities.

How were you fighting dudes? Also please do, I fucking loved ME
Mix between using disarm or kicking them in the balls to stun them, followed by a three hit combo. It's all still terrible because while you don't have to defeat all enemies in every scenario to proceed, you're better off taking them out as a beeline to the nearest exit almost doesn't work.

Also Pat, regarding invasion healing, invaders have ALWAYS had ways to heal themselves, there are loopholes around it in both DS1 and DS2, from what I've seen.

Estsus is the only healing they can't use, I don't know about Lifegems or spells but I believe humanity in DS1 would fully heal even during invasion, which was fucking retarded, and I've had invaders in DS2 heal themselves by using an item.

Blocking only Estus makes no sense.

Dark 2 originally let you use Lifegems and Estus iirc, but they turned it off with a patch around the time the PC version released. Dark 1 has healing with humanities and both let you use miracles.

Xiraiya

find me an SBS of Oda saying it's canon or not and I won't disagree with you anymore but until then let's just drop it before we start saying things that hurt each others feelings

You're are just going to have to swallow your pride and deal with being wrong.

You'll grow faster as a human being.

I was thinking more like flash bombs and caltrops and shit that lets you deal with enemies without having to kill your fucking momentum.

The disarm mechanic is terrible, and when you have to fight Celeste on the boat that melee system is just so poor.

In all seriousness, if it's a pure parkour game, that would be far more effective.

I do want to make/think out a good first person brawler/action game one day, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom