• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Facebook is for my immediate family and like, two friends, then a bunch of people I randomly accepted out of boredom. I denied all extended family and now it's almost is exclusively the easiest way to text my brothers and dad if I ever need to talk to them and for complaining about anime/wrestling.

I've never been physically abused, though a good amount of mental illnesses were completely ignored and got way worse, but that's not the same thing.

I was raised by the belt. As time went on, and I grew up, my parents started to force me to learn from my mistakes.

I preferred the belt. The agonizing feeling that you disappointed your family is too much for me.

My mother learned about Jewish guilt, and once she learned that, she applied it to us and me and my brothers ended up having an inability to resort to crime.

If you haven't been noticing, I'm posting a shit ton here because I'm waiting for my last final in 3 hours.

So here's something from my twitter feed relevant to this thread's interests.

John Cena is my Person of the Millenium.

My mother burnt my finger with a lighter because put my finger in my nose.
And I was like 4!

... Im sorry dude.

Corporal punishment, eh? Never doing that shit to my kids if I ever get some.

That being said, this was me when my mom realized my teenaged self was too big for the wooden spoon:

15160-you-have-no-power-here_w_zps5f66908c.jpg

croten

I was never beaten as a kid. I think both my parents had really bad experiences with it and just decided that they would never do it themselves. Especially my mum.

Taking away the thing they enjoy most for a certain amount of time is a good way to get a kid to behave. But if they're being like a real shit, then a good smack to the face never really hurt anyone. At least not me.

Oberon

Banned
That sounds like straight up abuse right there.

That's straight up child abuse.

My mother learned about Jewish guilt, and once she learned that, she applied it to us and me and my brothers ended up having an inability to resort to crime.
John Cena is my Person of the Millenium.
... Im sorry dude.

Yeah, that's fucked up, sorry to hear that. My mom works in child services and I hear about shit like that all the time, it's some rough shit.

Thanks a lot guys!
I actually just asked her about that incidence, she said that she doesn't quite remember.
But I don't have a grudge against her.
Well, I still prefere living with her than my father, that's for sure!

Thanks a lot guys!
I actually just asked her about that incidence, she said that she doesn't quite remember.
But I don't have a grudge against her.
Well, I still prefere living with her than my father, that's for sure!
If she doesn't remember it it seems like she did it in the heat of the moment when she might have a lot of stress. How burnt was your finger? Could you still see remains of it to this day? Toddler's skin are very sensitive.

That wasn't my point but I'm probably not well adjusted. Working on that shit, though.

My point was just that sometimes that doesn't work.
Did you watch NXT?

I always thought I would punish my kids as my parents did to me...but then I thought I'd torture them by being embarrassing to them instead.

Huh. I, uh, had a sitcom-perfect rich American childhood. My parents loved and supported me, and I had a ton of toys and shit and two little brothers to play with.

I'm disabled though! Slowly lost my ability to walk over time!

Not yet, plans fell through and I'm gonna watch it tonight. I did see Devitt's facepaint, though, and it looks rad.
Seeing Punk and Daniel Bryan come up in the WWE was so strange to me considering they used to wrestle in front of less than 100 people sometimes. Now i'm excited for people like Zayn and Kevin Owens.

Huh. I, uh, had a sitcom-perfect rich American childhood. My parents loved and supported me, and I had a ton of toys and shit and two little brothers to play with.

I was actually showered with videogames and toys my whole life too, though we weren't rich, we just kinda lucked into stuff and my dad gave me a bunch of stuff too. I was also homeschooled and didn't have to deal with school bullshit and instead played Final Fantasy all day. Good times.

Oberon

Banned
If she doesn't remember it it seems like she did it in the heat of the moment when she might have a lot of stress. How burnt was your finger? Could you still see remains of it to this day? Toddler's skin are very sensitive.

Well she said she doesn't remember if it was me or my brother who got punished. And then she tried to change the subject.
There aren't any marks, at least not on my finger.

Seeing Punk and Daniel Bryan come up in the WWE was so strange to me considering they used to wrestle in front of less than 100 people sometimes. Now i'm excited for people like Zayn and Kevin Owens.

I just hope it shows that McMahon is having less and less influence on the company and they're letting the new guard run shit now. It's really telling when the hour long developmental league is so much better than their main show that more people are talking about this payperview than the last six main ones.

Beloved

And this is an example of how everyone has some kind of hardcore shit in their life that they have to deal with at some point, even if they do have a great/supportive family.

Variable ratio positive and negative reinforcement work really well on average, but it's dependent on the overall quality of upbringing.

To be clear, I had a lower-middle class American upbringing yet still received plenty of whoopings from both my mom & dad. They were both working and overstressed, so I actively tried to be less of a petulant shit the older I got.

Christ what even is this thread. You guys really are gonna scare off people like me who just randomly come in here.

If you know that the Best Friends exist in Community hell, you belong here.

So would you say you became "less of a shit" specifically because of the beatings themselves or because of a growing understanding of their situation?

The beatings were an effective scare tactic for certain moments.

My understanding of the situation opened up when I went to college and was the first in my family to go away for college. Spending time around people from different walks of life opened up my understanding of the world at large.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
My dad would beat the shit outta me with a belt for any small perceived wrong. Or he'd slap me in the face for accidentally dropping something. Stuff like that. I moved to my mom's when I was 10 or so almost entirely to escape all that stuff.

Later, when I was 22 or so, he swore to me that he never did any of that. I don't know if he was just lying to himself so he didn't have to face what he did, or if he legitimately forgot because by that point he was in his 70s (he died about five years later) and just started to forget things because of age. Either way though, I...guess I've forgiven him? I mean...never to his face or anything, but...eh, I dunno. I try not to think about it too hard. Can't change the past, and he's gone anyway. Thinking about it doesn't do any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom