• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.

croten

More out of frustration that they'd choose to structure their new game off a really old iteration. That's not a good direction a company should take with their game.

Did you sell your Xbox or Ps3 when Ubisoft made Assassins Creed the same game 5 times in a row?

Did you sell your Xbox or Ps3 when Ubisoft made Assassins Creed the same game 5 times in a row?

If by sold you mean boxed and put in an attic then yeah. Fucking assassins creed 3 man :(

I still never recovered from that.

You mean like most newer Zelda games?

SS is not even remotely the same as OoT. It's much more comparable to WW. And if you're talking about LBW I would never even touch that shit.

JoJo94

How does BestGAF feel about Skyward Sword? I love parts of it, but I think it's dragged down super hard by the unfun padding and the overuse of the motion controls. Twilight princess's motion controls were great because you just flicked the Wiimote, but bomb bowling and directional blocks are frustrating bullshit. The game's dungeons were great, but the in between bits were too annoying too often.

I hate Skyward Sword. It was just trying to hard to recapture parts of Windwaker. The sky was incredibly empty, Personally, it;s not that memorable to me I can't remember any of the bosses except for the main ones like. Best part is Groose's theme. I just felt that it was really forgettable and some things were just unnecessary

Twilight Princess is my personal favorite one. .

That's why I said most ;). And LBW actually tries to change things up really hard, though it fails to do so and just keeps tripping over its own feet.

Oh lol I guess TP was pretty similar to OoT. But I guess that's why I didn't love that game as much (though it was still really good). Well I just hope Zelda Wii U is nothing like we've seen before. I wouldn't mind a complete shake up to the formula.

And yeah I've heard meh things about LBW from some people. I didn't like LttP at all so I didn't even bother trying it.

Alfebit

Banned
My first thought when I walked through those bushes in the beginning of chapter 9 was Pat's going to point it out in the video and I was right.

Something keeps happening throughout the entire chapter that you're either going to love or hate.
One-hit-kill Ruvik keeps popping up, forcing you to run and/or hide.

Maybe because it introduces the Ruvik mechanic for that level only?

I don't know....

I never had a problem with
Ruvik during that segment. My first thought was to run or hide from him and he couldn't keep up so it wasn't a big deal.

Every 3D Zelda is a carbon copy of OoT in a lot of ways. The most derivate game is Majora's, and it comes right after it.

YES
YES
YES

Other than MM's time mechanic and the masks I thought it was pretty much the same. I mean it's built on the same engine. I though WW or SS is the most different since the ocean in WW made it feel way different and SS is kinda like a spin off of WW.

Oh kamiya. You lovable troll you.

Oh lol I guess TP was pretty similar to OoT. But I guess that's why I didn't love that game as much (though it was still really good). Well I just hope Zelda Wii U is nothing like we've seen before. I wouldn't mind a complete shake up to the formula.

And yeah I've heard meh things about LBW from some people. I didn't like LttP at all so I didn't even bother trying it.
For some reason, I really want a modern Zelda game to be like the original Zelda. Even though it seemed like a mess design wise, going through dungeons nonlinearly and finding hints to secrets would be fun.

Getting back to my original post, they should play this:

260px-ZeldaMinishCap_BoxArt.jpg

Its short and sweet

sjay1994

Since you are all talking about Zelda.... I might as well ask.

What am I missing?

Zelda has always been the nintendo franchise I have always been meh on, yet everyone especially my friend. He modeled the master sword in 3D recently

1609696_10202724608349411_8731465592168842926_n.jpg

and draws so much zelda stuff.... and I just feel like I am missing out on this fandom because I do not get it.

I've played OoT, LttP, LBW, WW,MC,PH,STand the only ones I finished were ST, MC and WW. I quit the rest because I got bored of them, and I hated exploring the world.

I want to enjoy these games as much as everyone else does.... but I don't get it.

Squishy3

The worst part about Skyward Sword is that the Imprisoned boss fight is god awful and you have to repeat it 3 times throughout the game.

croten

What am I missing?

Zelda has always been the nintendo franchise I have always been meh on, yet everyone especially my friend. He modeled the master sword in 3D recently

1609696_10202724608349411_8731465592168842926_n.jpg

and draws so much zelda stuff.... and I just feel like I am missing out on this fandom because I do not get it.

I've played OoT, LttP, LBW, WW,MC,PH,SS and the only ones I finished were SS, MC and WW. I quit the rest because I got bored of them, and I hated exploring the world.

I want to enjoy these games as much as everyone else does.... but I don't get it.

You're not missing much. If you don't find them fun then that's that.

To an extent, it wasn't done very well though
I want a modern Zelda game where it is like DaS2 in level design, but you weren't physically restricted by things like the fall damage in the gutter and the stone statue and finding the priest. It would be interesting. That soul memory thing is bullshit tho.

What am I missing?

I've played OoT, LttP, LBW, WW,MC,PH,SS and the only ones I finished were SS, MC and WW. I quit the rest because I got bored of them, and I hated exploring the world.

You don't have to get it, Zelda is quite possibly my favorite gaming series but it isn't for everyone, just like any other series.
Your friend is a cool guy, I'm drawing a bajillion Zelda fanarts due to a challenge to myself so he's alright.

croten

I want a modern Zelda game where it is like DaS2 in level design, but you weren't physically restricted by things like the fall damage in the gutter and the stone statue and finding the priest. It would be interesting. That soul memory thing is bullshit tho.

So Dark Souls?

ALBW basically tries to adopt a more open-world style of design, where you get the option to tackle certain dungeons in whatever order you want. However, it doesn't even remotely bother to fix some issues this brings with it.

You can pretty much rent/buy most weapons immediately and have acces to most of the map and heart containers among other things. The developers can't know which order you'll be taking the dungeons, so they and their bosses remain static, resulting in a laughably low difficulty for the majority of them and the game in general. On top of this, because they don't know which item you will have at any point, most dungeons and dungeon puzzles revolve around a single weapon, trivializing them in the process. The dungeons end up being linear (though still nicely designed) and the puzzles braindead, requiring only a quick look to solve. The bosses become trivial and the entire thing loses its edge and just keeps tripping and landing on it balls the whole way through.

So many different issues (that I won't be explaining today as it's late and I'm tired) that are the logical result of going open-world are ignored. The game completely disregarded tight design for psuedo-open-world gameplay. I say that because it still somehow manages to not be fully open world anyway and still severs the world into different, initially unreachable areas.

It's a really fun game despite it, but it's just sucb a fucking mess of a game. A shame because the wall-merging mechanic is fucking amazing.

Wow. Thanks for the description. That does kind of sound like a mess. The rent system sounded weird to me the second I heard about it so to see that it actually doesn't work that good with the dungeons isn't really surprising.

sjay1994

You don't have to get it, Zelda is quite possibly my favorite gaming series but it isn't for everyone, just like any other series.
Your friend is a cool guy, I'm drawing a bajillion Zelda fanarts due to a challenge to myself so he's alright.

He tried redesgning King Dodongo a while back

1972291_10202409472751218_1607322903222804223_n.jpg

He is getting really good at 3D modelling

Squishy3

We know nothing about this game at all. It's impossible to from an opinion and if I had to bet if it would be better than my favorite game of all time I would say "No".
I have full faith in Kamiya to deliver.

The Imprisoned is probably the worst Zelda boss I've ever seen. It is nothing short of atrocious.
At least the Demise boss fight is fucking amazing. I did the bullshit to get the Hylian Shield, and I didn't know that you could bring lightning into the sword in that fight, so I just shield bashed every attack and beat the shit out of him. It was so gratifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom