• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

It's not just plagiarism.

It's the fact that it's stealing the revenue stream of the publication. It's the same reason why copying and pasting and entire article into an OP is in poor taste. It eliminates the need for anyone to purchase or click on said publication.

So explain to me why posting leaked information is any different. You're stealing away potential hype a developer could have made for their game by making it public before anyone else was supposed to see it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So explain to me why posting leaked information is any different. You're stealing away potential hype a developer could have made for their game by making it public before anyone else was supposed to see it.

A leak isn't the same as stealing money. The publication paid for exclusive rights to the story, and the pictures included. If you post a scan, you're completely circumventing the need to buy a magazine or click an article. That's the logic.

GAF doesn't want to be held liable or look like they are condoning that behavior, thus the rule.

croten

Hardly the same thing. A leak is just information, no one owns it but posting a page from a magazine is essentially stealing that writers work. Gaf is considered a news source I believe, which means you can't just take other peoples work and post it in it's entirety.

Hardly the same thing. A leak is just information, no one owns it but posting a page from a magazine is essentially stealing that writers work. Gaf is considered a news source I believe, which means you can't just take other peoples work and post it in it's entirety.

You're still illegally obtaining information that wasn't intended for those without access to it at the time to see.

It's no different.

Here is the difference, posting a page from a magazine is illegal.

And the difference is contradictory nonsense.

Just going in circles here guys. I have my belief on the matter. I took the picture down because the forum asks that you not do it, but that doesn't mean I don't think it's the stupidest fucking thing.

It's not in a law sense. It's merely phrasing.

It may be unethical, but it certainly isn't illegal.

Anyway to answer your question, GAF does not want to be liable for information that was intended for another party posted on the forum and have that party attempt to sue GAF and potentially kill the forum.

It's for protection for the forum and for administration.

Zenfalcia

Hey you know what's a great feeling? Not having any confidence in yourself for the final.

Sounds like me. Finals are great, since they usually are worth so much of your grade!

this-is-fine-meme.jpg

Shackzam

We'll see, but like I've been saying... not a hell of a lot of free time these days.

As for Persona, I played at the highest levels I could find online... but it always felt very intuitive to me. I did notice the burst bait game, but I did not have that adverse reaction you did. Though to be fair, Kanji maybe has an unfair advantage in the burst game. Tons of health, and does a lot of damage really quickly. Whereas Akihiko, has no long range options and is combo heavy, I can see how that would piss you off more based on your character.
Sorry I past out last night, but I actually agree with your reasoning of why I don't like burst much. The players base in chicago is majorly anime based and are some of the best, like I think at NEC two of the guys I play got into top 8. This is some super high level play, but I've been making them mad by not bursting at all during the combo and they would unintentionally drop me from the combo, but they still body me. So that's where that mind game is.

ultimax

Misses bull, grit those teeth!
RsnRMax.jpg

Who the hell do you think you are? Your pen is the one that will pierce the heavens, the earth, and through to tomorrow!

Listen carefully bull, don't forget. Believe in yourself. Not in the misses bull I believe in. Not in the Magaradyne you believe in. Believe in the you who believes in yourself!
I'm glad you've finally accepted it

Alfebit

Banned
Misses bull, grit those teeth!
Who the hell do you think you are? Your pen is the one that will pierce the heavens, the earth, and through to tomorrow!

Listen carefully bull, don't forget. Believe in yourself. Not in the misses bull I believe in. Not in the Magaradyne you believe in. Believe in the you who believes in yourself!

I really hope that was intentional.

sjack

Banned
Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition doesn't show up on Steam because of some bullshit region locking shenanigans from Microsoft (I live in Bulgaria). I want to buy it but can't. Anyone know a way around this?

Oberon

Banned
Hey you know what's a great feeling? Not having any confidence in yourself for the final.

Grrrr!

This just remind me of a thing that happen me today.
I tried to encourage some students to give their best on today test.
I told them to target the best possible grade instead of just the minimum, and that despair isn't going to help them.
But it backfired, and encouraging poeple is apparenty a bad thing now.

demidar

B-

*sigh* I was an A student in HS while being an Athlete.
Drinking and other activities sidetracked my college academics.

At least you have an excuse, I was always an unmotivated dumbass. I'm surprised I got so far actually, I barely scraped into my engineering degree :lol

I really hope that was intentional.

Maragidyne wants to become Magarudyne.

Now to take a 3 hour car ride :/ fun..

Are you going to see relatives for Christmas?

Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition doesn't show up on Steam because of some bullshit region locking shenanigans from Microsoft (I live in Bulgaria). I want to buy it but can't. Anyone know a way around this?

Ask the Dark Souls thread?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=755000&page=101

At least you have an excuse, I was always an unmotivated dumbass. I'm surprised I got so far actually, I barely scraped into my engineering degree :lol

My excuse? It's a piss poor one tbh. Engineers are in high demand. Your skills can travel.

Go wearing a lewd shirt carrying a dakimakura. Show them what their contemporaries are like :lol
I went to one meeting wearing this.. Most people didn't even get the joke..I was severely disappointed and never returned

As a non-American, I don't understand how GPAs work (nor do I understand the American credit system and its AP classes and how that affects GPA).

That's like a... C right?

It's average in America..considering most kids have trouble making it through high school a C average in college is decent.

I graduated with a 2.7 GPA.

That's bad right?

It's all in context. If you're applying for a PhD program (usually there's a GPA requirement), that's different from applying for a job that's focused almost solely on the interview (common in programming jobs).

It's average in America..considering most kids have trouble making it through high school a C average in college is decent.

I think most is a strong word.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2011/04/19/average-high-school-gpas-increased-since-1990

Assuming a normal distribution (which is pretty reasonable), over half of high school students are getting above a C+. "Having trouble making it through high school" implies something in the D range (barely passing).

The average for colleges used to be around a C, but nowadays it's in the B range.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ge-grade-inflation-what-does-an-mean/3662003/

It'll also vary wildly from school to school though. This is considering Ivy League schools and the like currently have a huge grade inflation problem, where the professors will curve such that half the students get an A in their class even if the average score is abysmal like a 40% and the class isn't actually performing well.

Wait what?

That's just my opinion and also it might have been developed because I went to inner-city schools. Often times all tests in my classes had to be curved to stop everyone from failing except for a few that excelled lol.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articl...sed-since-1990

Assuming a normal distribution (which is pretty reasonable), over half of high school students are getting above a C+. "Having trouble making it through high school" implies something in the D range (barely passing).

I'm just speaking from my personal experience which is probably highly skewed. Sorry for spewing false information like a filthy degenerate.

It's all in context. If you're applying for a PhD program (usually there's a GPA requirement), that's different from applying for a job that's focused almost solely on the interview (common in programming jobs).

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2011/04/19/average-high-school-gpas-increased-since-1990

The average for colleges used to be around a C, but nowadays it's in the B range.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ge-grade-inflation-what-does-an-mean/3662003/

It'll also vary wildly from school to school though. This is considering Ivy League schools and the like currently have a huge grade inflation problem, where the professors will curve such that half the students get an A in their class even if the average score is abysmal like a 40% and the class isn't actually performing well.

I have doubts that I honestly earned a B- because I don't know what kind of grading curve my college education was based on. Even a C average at an Ivy League school is still good relative to the difficulty of the material/grading system.

From High School or College?

Once you get your first job, no one cares about your GPA moving forward, just that you graduated/where you graduated from.

College. I held an A average in HS.

360pages

Oh god, someone thought I was insulting them in writing club.

They were talking about how they weren't being picked for the awards we hold every year. [I'm a new member so it's natural that I wasn't going to be picked]

I said, they haven't been picked for our weekly picks in awhile so there might be a chance not a lot of people read it. And not to worry about it since it doesn't have that much bearing on quality.

They took it as me saying that no one wants to read their story.

That's just my opinion and also it might have been developed because I went to inner-city schools. Often times all tests in my classes had to be curved to stop everyone from failing except for a few that excelled lol.

I'm just speaking from my personal experience which is probably highly skewed. Sorry for spewing false information like a filthy degenerate.

Different schools/areas have different situations, so I can imagine how you can get that impression depending on where you lived or who you know. Certainly there are plenty of schools where students are struggling to pass.

Different schools/areas have different situations, so I can imagine how you can get that impression depending on where you lived or who you know. Certainly there are plenty of schools where students are struggling to pass.

My school district was one of those inner city ones that you hear about where idk..80% of the student base is below a C average. It had gotten to the point where the district started to blame the teachers for it even though the students didn't want to learn minus the few of us who actually got A's with the occasional B. After awhile I started to see teachers being replaced simply because they would not push the students who didn't want to learn through the class. In the end you either had an A/B or a D- there were no students with C's.

I have doubts that I honestly earned a B- because I don't know what kind of grading curve my college education was based on. Even a C average at an Ivy League school is still good relative to the difficulty of the material/grading system.

It depends on the major.One of my friends is a biomedical engineer, got a pretty low GPA from an Ivy but now has a bitching job. Same with a programmer friend of mine. Interviews and lab experience are more important in those fields. C average as a creative writing major from an Ivy though? Getting a job is tough unless you have stuff published, since transcripts will show what percentage of students got what grade. Depending on where you apply, they might look at that rather harshly. Due to grade inflation and the raw amount of people attending college, being in a top program isn't a guarantee for success anymore at least from what I've seen.

Xrd is out now, only thing left is to wait for my copy to arrive from Gamefly. And download Elphelt as soon as possible while she's free.

In the meantime, gonna start playing Wolfenstein The New Order very soon. Blitzing through those 2014 releases.

My school district was one of those inner city ones that you hear about where idk..80% of the student base is below a C average. It had gotten to the point where the district started to blame the teachers for it even though the students didn't want to learn minus the few of us who actually got A's with the occasional B. After awhile I started to see teachers being replaced simply because they would not push the students who didn't want to learn through the class. In the end you either had an A/B or a D- there were no students with C's.

That really sucks. I feel like our current system is only rewarding schools that are already good instead of helping schools that need help the most, not to mention many parents don't value education. Hopefully it gets better in the future...

Top Bottom