• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

Zenfalcia

I'm keeping an eye out, especially on SSDs, but the more I think about rebuying everything, I'm almost considering saving up and eating the cost of a whole new build. Not to mention, building a new PC is kinda super fun.

Eh, sure. if you are ok with paying full price up front then go for it. A suggestion for SSDs if you don't already know, Samsung is king for speed, with intel in a solid second, others vary from good to bad, but regardless they'll all be faster than hdd. Some of that you'll already know, but meh.

Adding new parts to an old pc can be "fun" as well.

MormaPope

Banned
Playing through DMC3, and the boss battles range from great to meh, Metal Gear Rising has the best boss battles in the genre. Five fights are against human characters, two or threeish are against big Metal Gears, one is against a robot dog. DMC3 has you facing giant demons or demonoids that feel generic as hell. The Vergil fights are definitely highlights boss wise.

Pat's Al Gore comment slayed me.
Eh, sure. if you are ok with paying full price up front then go for it. A suggestion for SSDs if you don't already know, Samsung is king for speed, with intel in a solid second, others vary from good to bad, but regardless they'll all be faster than hdd. Some of that you'll already know, but meh.

Adding new parts to an old pc can be "fun" as well.
Yup. Samsung has always been my goto, if just for reliability. And nyeeeeeeeh but newwww

Don't get hit scrub jk. But seriously learning to not get hit is a very important skill in any fighting game, which is sort of why I don't like arc systems burst system because it's almost like a do over button because you made a mistake and got hit. In skullgirl it's mostly making your approach in the safest way possible, which is why assist are very useful for this. But single characters are able to do the same, but it's a little bit harder.

I'm the opposite. I hate getting caught in super long combo strings, and I love having a way out sometimes.

Shackzam

I'm the opposite. I hate getting caught in super long combo strings, and I love having a way out sometimes.

Yeah it adds a lot to the mind game to the game of baiting out a burst, but there are games that are heavily focused on this mind game like Killer Instinct. But I'm more appreciative of the game plan of getting in and being rewarded for getting the hit. This helps improve your neutral game because you are both trying to find a way in, while trying to figure out how to not get hit. You should know this and that Burst makes some hard match-ups even harder because you worked so hard to get in, but then you get bursted and you don't get rewarded for your better decision making.

Skullgirls has sort of long combos, but they probably won't kill you and they need to reset you so they can maximize the reward for getting a clean hit off of you, but once you get used to skullgirls, you should be able to recognize when you are going to be reseted. If they finish a combo and you are back to neutral, you have another chance to wreck the shit out of them because your opponent couldn't finish there plate.
EDIT: Uh oh, top of the page.

Tako

Welp time to cry myself to sleep again. Fricking Dark Souls has an issue with ps4 controllers and it won't even recognize that I plugged in my PS3 controller. GG everyone

Okingjrr

zyErWHO.png
You put against Aaron? Well, time to crank out the creativity.

Yeah it adds a lot to the mind game to the game of baiting out a burst, but there are games that are heavily focused on this mind game like Killer Instinct. But I'm more appreciative of the game plan of getting in and being rewarded for getting the hit. This helps improve your neutral game because you are both trying to find a way in, while trying to figure out how to not get hit. You should know this and that Burst makes some hard match-ups even harder because you worked so hard to get in, but then you get bursted and you don't get rewarded for your better decision making.

Skullgirls has sort of long combos, but they probably won't kill you and they need to reset you so they can maximize the reward for getting a clean hit off of you, but once you get used to skullgirls, you should be able to recognize when you are going to be reseted. If they finish a combo and you are back to neutral, you have another chance to wreck the shit out of them because your opponent couldn't finish there plate.
EDIT: Uh oh, top of the page.

Yeah but long combos really make you feel lost when you're casually playing.
That is scrub talk, admittedly. I do just need to get used to it. But that is the reason Persona was the first fight game I got 'gud' at. It's a lot more user friendly.
Skull girls is pretty user friendly too, but I'm just missing those systems. Feels like I'm missing a step on my step ladder.

I'm super glad Liam is talking 'bout anime on the podcast again. I thought for a second that he'd stopped because of people whining about his tastes.

Also, the podcast is great to listen to while playing mindless stuff like Destiny. It makes it amazing.
Welp time to cry myself to sleep again. Fricking Dark Souls has an issue with ps4 controllers and it won't even recognize that I plugged in my PS3 controller. GG everyone

Make sure you have the "Hide DS4" option checked before you play
This, also don't use anything that requires motioninjoy. It can be a pain when you first set this stuff up, you just need to go step by step and set it up.

FUUUUCK THIS SILENT HILL LOVE OH MAN MY HEAR

Shackzam

Yeah but long combos really make you feel lost when you're casually playing.
That is scrub talk, admittedly. I do just need to get used to it. But that is the reason Persona was the first fight game I got 'gud' at. It's a lot more user friendly.
Skull girls is pretty user friendly too, but I'm just missing those systems. Feels like I'm missing a step on my step ladder.

I feel like once you get your basic bnb in skullgirls down, you should be able to expand on what you should be doing when you get a hit and you'll start noticing that if you finish a combo you're giving the opponent to get back into neutral and giving them the opportunity to wreck your shit. Take a game like street fighter, where if you get a hit, you usually end your combo in a knock down, which gives you a reward for more pressure for getting in first. My advice when getting combo'd in skullgirls is to notice the cues when you are about to be reset and then you can make your guess.

Persona is user friendly, but when you face the players I face. You are constantly being burst baited and you start to sort of not like bursts as much and find them sort of useless at some points. The only reason I don't burst bait is because my character sucks ass at doing it.

Alfebit

Banned
Hey, will you look at that. I can kind of run L4D2. The framerate is ok until 1 zombie shows up on screen.

Edit: holy shit. Get down the elevator at the beginning of the first map and bam all the zombies on fire killed the shit out my framerate.

I feel like once you get your basic bnb in skullgirls down, you should be able to expand on what you should be doing when you get a hit and you'll start noticing that if you finish a combo you're giving the opponent to get back into neutral and giving them the opportunity to wreck your shit. Take a game like street fighter, where if you get a hit, you usually end your combo in a knock down, which gives you a reward for more pressure for getting in first. My advice when getting combo'd in skullgirls is to notice the cues when you are about to be reset and then you can make your guess.

Persona is user friendly, but when you face the players I face. You are constantly being burst baited and you start to sort of not like bursts as much and find them sort of useless at some points. The only reason I don't burst bait is because my character sucks ass at doing it.

We'll see, but like I've been saying... not a hell of a lot of free time these days.

As for Persona, I played at the highest levels I could find online... but it always felt very intuitive to me. I did notice the burst bait game, but I did not have that adverse reaction you did. Though to be fair, Kanji maybe has an unfair advantage in the burst game. Tons of health, and does a lot of damage really quickly. Whereas Akihiko, has no long range options and is combo heavy, I can see how that would piss you off more based on your character.

Hey, will you look at that. I can kind of run L4D2. The framerate is ok until 1 zombie shows up on screen.

Edit: holy shit. Get down the elevator at the beginning of the first map and bam all the zombies on fire killed the shit out my framerate.

Wow... even my shitty laptop can run L4D2 adequately...
Either you didn't turn down everything, or your rig has problems/very old.

I can't believe a lot of people didn't complain about that x minute rule. They seemed that they wanted to have more interesting inputs, but it really cut short

Do you have atleast a i3?

Zenfalcia

Try Maplestory

I don't know how big it is

How about Expendebros?

Last i played which was like 2 years ago it was.. 10gb?

maybe?
Is it free?

I forgot about games that aren't on steam. Play cave story, N the way of the ninja, and there's 2 japanese pixel horro games which i forget the name. Oh, one is IB and the other i can't remember. There's more but i can't name off the top of my head. Those should be able to run on your computer and are also decent games.

Edit: Yume niki is the one i was thinking of.

Top Bottom