• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

Persona 4 spoilers:
ok so im having a real problem with Yu thinking Adachi is such a good person. HE NEARLY RAPED 2 WOMEN AND MURDERED BOTH!
He is at least honorable. He turned himself in after they beat him and in P4G you actually sympathize with him probably.

Its also bullshit reasons too probably

MormaPope

Banned
Because people like contradictions.

Just edit it out and let it go. Not worth arguing about again.

Videogame publications suffer more from their information "leaking" out than devs and pubs because that is their livelihood, funding games and developing games are what pubs and devs do, they aren't reporters or journalists delivering thoughts and information on content. That is the reality of the situation, no matter how you approach it. Different jobs, different context.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I heard DMC2 is the best game of all time. Can you confirm this?

I have every achievement and have played through it three or four times.

It actually did pave the way for some evolution in DMC3, like having a dedicated dodge. It's clear that Itsuno had some ideas he wanted to implement, but was pulled in so late in the game that it was impossible to salvage.

I heard DMC2 is the best game of all time. Can you confirm this?

I once recorded myself beating a boss fight in DMC2. With my phone. Yes I beat the boss with ONE HAND.

No, look, I don't doubt that. The first 9 episodes I've seen weren't actually all that special. Fun for sure, but I'd have left disappointed if this was all there was to it. Jonathan wasn't even all that interesting for most of the show.
I am merely talking about that specific scene in episode 9, which was just fucking amazing and increased my fandom of the character tenfold.

I'm honestly really glad you enjoyed Part 1. It frustrates me when people say "Yeah only watch Part 1 for the backstory for Part 2" or "Yeah Part 1 is just an average shonen, but Part 2 is AMAZING.

Like I love Part 2 too, but Part 1 is also really good and I appreciated it even more on my rewatch. Its a shonen, but its an amazing 9 episode part that introduces the viewer into everything you're getting into in the Jojo universe. Its not my favorite part, but I really appreciate everything it does to get people into the series and seeing it ignored for its better part by some people is a damn shame.

Just to make it clear again, if that part of episode 9 didn't exist, I would have said "I'm sure you're right". But after that, I'll have to see for myself.
People said that about Satsuki as well. I'm going to remain skeptical.
Wow. Starting with Episode 10 now!

I never watched KLK so I can't speak on that matter, but since you're starting episode 10 now I think you'll realize right away why Joseph is so amazing.

Videogame publications suffer more from their information "leaking" out than devs and pubs because that is their livelihood, funding games and developing games are what pubs and devs do, they aren't reporters or journalists delivering thoughts and information on content. That is the reality of the situation, no matter how you approach it. Different jobs, different context.

I see the whole magazine scan thing in a similar context as LP's and Streamers where the more easier it is to get your information out there to places it would otherwise never be, the easier it is to build the hype for it. In this specific case, we would never ever see this article for the JoJo game because we don't get that publication in the US or really anywhere outside of Japan to my knowledge. The sole way this information would be available is through online share.

It's not that I don't get why GAF doesn't want it on the forum due to potential legal reasons. I just find the contradictions on these types of things so god damn stupid.

Stop being a baby.

If you don't have anything to say on the subject, don't speak.

demidar

I'm honestly really glad you enjoyed Part 1. It frustrates me when people say "Yeah only watch Part 1 for the backstory for Part 2" or "Yeah Part 1 is just an average shonen, but Part 2 is AMAZING.

Like I love Part 2 too, but Part 1 is also really good and I appreciated it even more on my rewatch. Its a shonen, but its an amazing 9 episode part that introduces the viewer into everything you're getting into in the Jojo universe. Its not my favorite part, but I really appreciate everything it does to get people into the series and seeing it ignored for its better part by some people is a damn shame.

I enjoyed the breakneck pace of Part 1.

Ehhh.... He did threaten two of the victims with the intent of rape.

there was. In the flashbacks of how adachi found out how to throw people into the tv he was about to rape miss yamano and she was struggling and he accidentally threw her into the TV.

P4 spoilers
I honestly never got those kind of indications. I think he wanted to blackmail them or something before he figured out he can just flat out kill them by throwing them into the TV. If it was intention of rape, then that's pretty crazy, but Adachi never really even seemed close to being that kind of guy, even when you found out how evil he is. He did everything because he was bored and he never wanted a woman anyway as you find out through his social link.

maybe because i didnt play Goldebni cant really understand that. Man this game really has a bit of dependency on golden
Ehhhh probably. The ending of the P4 story is still pretty cool. When you Download Adachi, it's somewhat interesting to see his perspective on the story, but its really unnecessary.
P4 spoilers
I honestly never got those kind of indications. I think he wanted to blackmail them or something before he figured out he can just flat out kill them by throwing them into the TV. If it was intention of rape, then that's pretty crazy, but Adachi never really even seemed close to being that kind of guy, even when you found out how evil he is. He did everything because he was bored and he never wanted a woman anyway as you find out through his social link.
Hmmm I wish it was in the base game actually. It does clear things up nicely.

Xiraiya

P4 spoilers

That was the impression I got, I could understand someone interpreting that as some kind of sexual thing but Adachi was never that disgusting, he was just insane.

Ehhhh probably. The ending of the P4 story is still pretty cool. When you Download Adachi, it's somewhat interesting to see his perspective on the story, but its really unnecessary.

So we not spoiler tagging it anymore?

(P4 spoilers)
Yeah, they honestly didn't have to make him redeemable in anyway because he's not a redeemable kind of guy. He's a douchebag murderer to the end, but he's certainly no rapist. None of the earlier persona games even touched on that subject and this game was the most light hearted of the 5.

That was the impression I got, I could understand someone interpreting that as some kind of sexual thing but Adachi was never that disgusting, he was just insane.

Yeah (more P4 spoilers)
he was crazy and a complete fucker, but I never got the impression of rapist. He was a bored guy who was tired of all the adult shit he had to put up with. I can't see the connection between that and rapist.

Yeah (more P4 spoilers)
he was crazy and a complete fucker, but I never got the impression of rapist. He was a bored guy who was tired of all the adult shit he had to put up with. I can't see the connection between that and rapist.

Just goes to show that assumptions aren't always right. Even when it comes to confirmed crazies.

demidar

I see the whole magazine scan thing in a similar context as LP's and Streamers where the more easier it is to get your information out there to places it would otherwise never be, the easier it is to build the hype for it. In this specific case, we would never ever see this article for the JoJo game because we don't get that publication in the US or really anywhere outside of Japan to my knowledge. The sole way this information would be available is through online share.

It's not that I don't get why GAF doesn't want it on the forum due to potential legal reasons. I just find the contradictions on these types of things so god damn stupid.

Firstly, I don't understand why you brought in LPs and Streamers into the conversation. Secondly, we would still hear about these news from people living in Japan or Japanese gaming news sites like Siliconera disseminating this information. The key is "magazine scans", not the information the magazine contains.

Firstly, I don't understand why you brought in LPs and Streamers into the conversation.

You don't understand why I brought them up when I explained it in literally the same sentence?

There's always a big thing going on in some sense with LP'ers and Streamers where a game developer or publisher will try to shut them down for showing their game because they don't seem to understand that these people help sells games just as much as commercials, magazines and the like because they're putting the information out there to an audience that might otherwise never see it.

Some people might not hear this news because they don't go to sites like siliconera or frequent Japanese message boards. How do you not get that?

Xiraiya

You don't understand why I brought them up when I explained it in literally the same sentence?

You didn't really, LPers and Streamers have nothing to do with this, just don't post direct scans from pages and full articles of things with no links.

It's not a contradiction.

If you see news from a JUMP scan about something, then instead you be like "Hey I saw this thing" Rather than posting the article/scan.

croten

There's always a big thing going on in some sense with LP'ers and Streamers where a game developer or publisher will try to shut them down for showing their game because they don't seem to understand that these people help sells games just as much as commercials, magazines and the like because they're putting the information out there to an audience that might otherwise never see it.

Some people might not hear this news because they don't go to sites like siliconera or frequent Japanese message boards. How do you not get that?

You can make an article about famistu's publication, you can talk about, you can quote but you cannot post a scan of it. You could link to the source, but scans are illegal. What do you not get about that?

You can make an article about famistu's publication, you can talk about, you can quote but you cannot post a scan of it. You could link to the source, but scans are illegal. What do you not get about that?

I've said like 5 times that I understand why GAF doesn't want it on the forum. I simply think the reasoning is stupid.

What do YOU not get about that?

Beloved

Scanlation sites give away copyrighted material for free. Watching an LP is never going to be the same as playing it yourself, which is exactly why it's different in the context of this forum and most people's opinions.

You said yourself that LPs/streams help game sales. While there are people that will read scans and eventually buy the actual manga themselves, most people that have read manga from those sites have read WAY more than they will ever buy.

I did and it's not my fault if you or others can't understand it.
"where the more easier it is to get your information out there to places it would otherwise never be, the easier it is to build the hype for it."

It's not about spreading information that's the issue, it's that you're intended to pay for a magazine, and scanning it is kinda like piracy.

I'm sorry the whole topic is kinda ganging up on you, I hope this doesn't get too excessively heated.

Oberon

Banned
So I have installed that project nevada mod.
Should I use all the plugins?
I want to play some new vegas while listening to the Podcast.

Xiraiya

I did and it's not my fault if you or others can't understand it.
No because there is nothing to understand, you're just wrong, it's fine if you want to see them as similar things, no one can stop you from doing that.

But the reality is that's just not how it is.

"where the more easier it is to get your information out there to places it would otherwise never be, the easier it is to build the hype for it."

It's not about spreading information that's the issue, it's that you're intended to pay for a magazine, and scanning it is kinda like piracy.

I'm sorry the whole topic is kinda ganging up on you, I hope this doesn't get too excessively heated.

Let me ask you this then. Why is it that the topic on the front page of Gaming links to the article with a picture of that exact scanlation is fine on that site and no one seems to make a big deal about it being there? I'm not referring to GAF's own rules about scanlations, but why does no one throw a fit about it being there?

It won't get heated. I know when peoples minds won't be changed so I back off when it's required.

demidar

Some companies attempt to shut down LP/streams because they attempt to monetize footage of the companies' product, not because they are simply putting up footage of their game. Whole different legal game that gets into Fair Use as opposed to the free publishing of copyrighted material.

No, the information gets picked up and translated by sites like Siliconera, then disseminated further through news aggregation sites and forums like Neogaf, 4chan, Something Awful, Reddit, Twitter etc. It's damn hard to not pick up this information for even a moderately connected person.

Let me ask you this then. Why is it that the topic on the front page of Gaming links to the article with a picture of that exact scanlation is fine on that site and no one seems to make a big deal about it being there? I'm not referring to GAF's own rules about scanlations, but why does no one throw a fit about it being there?

It won't get heated. I know when peoples minds won't be changed so I back off when it's required.

No one has said anything to a mod? Good question.

I agree with you. Again, I don't think Part 1 was anything special, but I still enjoyed it. Completely worth watching even if it's just for that brilliant final episode. I appreciate it as well and am looking forward to part 2.
Seriously though,
the way how everything in the past few episodes came together and how the scene and the brilliant music transitioned perfectly into that still "Died February 7, 1889" frame....oh man. that was so fucking good. One of the best death scenes I've seen in a long time.
. It's worth it for that scene alone!

After you caught up to the jojo anime, do you have any plans to continue reading the manga?

That you think it's stupid. You cannot steal other peoples work, it's very simple.

I streamed Transistor last week. I'm sharing it with people who probably don't own it and showing them the content within. Does that mean I'm stealing it?

Surely you see my point here. I do not see the difference.

Top Bottom