• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

Let me ask you this then. Why is it that the topic on the front page of Gaming links to the article with a picture of that exact scanlation is fine on that site and no one seems to make a big deal about it being there? I'm not referring to GAF's own rules about scanlations, but why does no one throw a fit about it being there?

It won't get heated. I know when peoples minds won't be changed so I back off when it's required.
I think it just falls onto that site then. None of us personally have a gripe with reading the information, I think, but it's still a type of piracy, so it's something that has to be on the down low SOMETHING I WOULD NEVER DO. It's just treated the same as other piracy,

It's not like we could buy those magazines where we all live, so Woolie's argument about region locking in the new podcast kinda works in our favor morally.
I streamed Transistor last week. I'm sharing it with people who probably don't own it and showing them the content within. Does that mean I'm stealing it?

Surely you see my point here. I do not see the difference.
Transistor is the product itself, not the magazine article. The "contents of a magazine being scanned" is the issue, not the information it carries.

croten

I streamed Transistor last week. I'm sharing it with people who probably don't own it and showing them the content within. Does that mean I'm stealing it?

Streaming games and LPs are a completely different topic and has other sets of issues that aren't relevant to this discussion. I see your point, but I see that it's wrong.

Transistor is the product itself, not the magazine article. The "contents of a magazine being scanned" is the issue, not the information it carries.

I guess I just have a fucked brain then because I simply do not understand the difference in this. Both of them are sharing something that cost money and conveys information to others about the product.

demidar

You can't consume gameplay from a stream, which is ostensibly what you are buying (the complete experience) on a disc.

I guess I just have a fucked brain then because I simply do not understand the difference in this. Both of them are sharing something that cost money and conveys information to others about the product.
The content is irrelevant. It's the fact it's a scanned magazine. It's like scanning a book vs talking about what's in the book.

Yeah (more P4 spoilers)
he was crazy and a complete fucker, but I never got the impression of rapist. He was a bored guy who was tired of all the adult shit he had to put up with. I can't see the connection between that and rapist.

P4 spoilers again
it has been a while since I watched it and it probably doesn't really count but I remember in one of the animes when they are showing how Adachi learned about putting people in the TV world it really seems like he trying to rape Yamano and while she struggles she falls in

The content is irrelevant. It's the fact it's a scanned magazine. It's like scanning a book vs talking about what's in the book.

Still hitting a brick wall here man. I don't see the difference.

Scanned vs Streamed. Both are sharing content that cost money to others for free.

croten

Information is free game, it's up to them to hide it from us but once it's out there anyone can talk about it. The problem is you can't just post the raw scan, that's stealing the Journalists work.

Scanned vs Streamed. Both are sharing content that cost money to others for free.

I think the issue is that it's not the developers your stealing from, it's the people who wrote the article.

P4 spoilers again
it has been a while since I watched it and it probably doesn't really count but I remember in one of the animes when they are showing how Adachi learned about putting people in the TV world it really seems like he trying to rape Yamano and while she struggles she falls in
If I remmeber correctly it cut to black while it happened so its reall all up in the hair.

Do you see a difference between scanning photos of the content of a book, versus someone telling you what is on that page of the book?

That's the only key difference with scanning pages,
Information is free game, it's up to them to hide it from us but once it's out there anyone can talk about it. The problem is you can't just post the raw scan, that's stealing the Journalists work.
I think the issue is that it's not the developers your stealing from, it's the people who wrote the article.
^^^^

LP as a medium is not mature/credible the way magazine outlets are with marketing/advertising.

One can lead GAF into legal trouble, the other cannot. That's the difference.

Then tell me, is there a difference between watching an LP/Stream and downloading a torrent and crack to play a game?

I don't think so tbh, but I believe one has more potential to entice a purchase more than the other.

ultimax

P4 spoilers again
P4 spoilers
adachi is best girl

mike0dude

8t5vs7u.gif

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yooooo DW Gundam Reborn is $20 on PSN this week.

Thinking about it...but also thinking back on the 90+ hours I spent platinum'ing DWG3 and wondering if I'm not still burned out on Gundam musou. :lol

P4 spoilers again

(P4 spoilers)
He hates women and I believe the scene cut to the black when it happened. It could possibly be rape, but I think he wanted to rough her up more than anything to take his frustration of boredom out on her. I do find it interesting that he only chooses women at first, clearly showing his dislike for the gender, but then really doesn't care who's thrown into the TV after the first two die. That shows that he finds anyone getting murdered more interesting than just his hatred of females. I can understand why it might be implied rape, but I'm still not completely convinced.

MormaPope

Banned
Telling somebody the entire outline of a movie, spoilers included, isn't nearly the same as watching the movie. Developing your own interpretations based on how the content is presented, the music being played, the cinematography.

Telling somebody the outline of a book, spoilers included, isn't nearly the same as reading the book. Visual picturing, how things sound, what the characters look like and how they act.

Watching a lets play isn't the same as playing the game. Skill level, specific interactions, choices with progression, of how to progress, personal goals and achievements, style of play.

Posting scans of a existing publication is akin to ripping a book digitally and giving it to people, or doing the same with a movie or game. Are those things immoral? Pretty subjective when it comes to that. Is it theft though? Yeah.

I should watch kamen rider someday, but there's just too much shit I can't find where to start...
Kamen Rider Black and its sequel Black RX has the dumb but cool stuff that Sentai has apparently. I'd recommend Woolie's current favorite Kamen Rider, Kamen Rider W. I actually got started by the Kamen Rider adaptation here in america called Kamen Rider Dragon Knight which was a poor adaptation of Ryuki which was mentioned on the recent podcast, but then saw OOO then W and got hooked. Gaim is pretty good in terms of writing as well as having dumb stuff in the beginning.
W or Gaim are both great starting points. Or just start up Drive, which is currently running and only 11 episodes in, and follow along weekly.
Yeah Drive's pretty good too.

I'll probably finish it today actually. I'm liking the pacing..I was skeptical about it being short but it's working.

Its only two arcs, unlike Bake which is 5 so the pacing actually feels better (though the first arc in Nise can run a little long, its introducing a bunch of new and important characters, so I'm more forgiving). Unlike the pacing of S2 which is 5 arcs but 26 episodes so everything feels SOOOO stretched out and repetitive. And yes, I will shit on S2 every chance I get. That's my DmC.

Its only two arcs, unlike Bake which is 5 so the pacing actually feels better (though the first arc in Nise can run a little long, its introducing a bunch of new and important characters, so I'm more forgiving). Unlike the pacing of S2 which is 5 arcs but 26 episodes so everything feels SOOOO stretched out and repetitive. And yes, I will shit on S2 every chance I get. That's my DmC.

I agree that the pacing just seems faster but it doesn't lose any of its detail in the process. I will not be going anywhere near Season 2..just the things I heard about it alone turned me off from going past Bake until you guys convinced me to trek onwards.

(P4 spoilers)
He hates women and I believe the scene cut to the black when it happened. It could possibly be rape, but I think he wanted to rough her up more than anything to take his frustration of boredom out on her. I do find it interesting that he only chooses women at first, clearly showing his dislike for the gender, but then really doesn't care who's thrown into the TV after the first two die. That shows that he finds anyone getting murdered more interesting than just his hatred of females. I can understand why it might be implied rape, but I'm still not completely convinced.

I just watched both scenes from the animes P4 spoilers again
in both the original and Golden he confronts Yamano about the affair, gets mad and throws her in. It is the scenes with Saki that he makes sexually aggressive actions. They do not go anywhere because once she starts fighting back, he goes nuts and throws her in. It shows that he would have raped Saki if she had just accepted it and did not put up a fight but you were right.

I dunno why but Yukiko is no where as great as she is in P4...shes a bit more...airheaded in arena.

I think its actually interesting, the direction that P4A decided to take with its characters. Instead of trying to give them more development or recapture what they were in P3/4, they decided to make them each more unique, but very generic in character development. Similar to, well, a fighting game. And it works really well. Yukiko is a airheaded "princess" that's also a terrible cook, Akihiko is a protein junkie that wears a cape and no shirt and traveling the world to fight anything. He even wants to fight a bear. Yukari is a super sentai character/model/college student. It just works really well for the context of that game in particular. Idk how well it works for the story though.

I agree that the pacing just seems faster but it doesn't lose any of its detail in the process. I will not be going anywhere near Season 2..just the things I heard about it alone turned me off from going past Bake until you guys convinced me to trek onwards.

The thing is, the first arc is the worst arc in the entire show, so it doesn't even have the decency to give you a solid introduction. Like some very minor spoilers for S2 (so minor I won't even tag it), but hey. Do you like Araragi, the cool and funny main character? Well guess what, he's not even in the first arc! Like at all. WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!!! And they don't even have the decency to replace him with a another character as good as him. They just take the existing characters and use them for interactions which are fucking boring as hell. God just fuck everything about that season. Except Kaiki. He's so awesome.

People that think S2 of that show is deeper and has more meaning because it decides to become "serious" and actually tries to have a plot that's more than just focusing on character flaws like in S1 can just fuck off. They should watch Katanagatari if they want to see a show like that. Monogatari should never be more than just the arc based show it is. And it should've ended after S1, but you know that SHAFT money.

The thing is, the first arc is the worst arc in the entire show, so it doesn't even have the decency to give you a solid introduction. Like some very minor spoilers for S2 (so minor I won't even tag it), but hey. Do you like Araragi, the cool and funny main character? Well guess what, he's not even in the first arc! Like at all. WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!!! And they don't even have the decency to replace him with a another character as good as him. They just take the existing characters and use them for interactions which are fucking boring as hell. God just fuck everything about that season. Except Kaiki. He's so awesome.

People that think S2 of that show is deeper and has more meaning because it decides to become "serious" and actually tries to have a plot that's more than just focusing on character flaws like in S1 can just fuck off. They should watch Katanagatari if they want to see a show like that. Monogatari should never be more than just the arc based show it is. And it should've ended after S1, but you know that SHAFT money.

Yea you just sold it for me..never touching it and as far as I'm concerned..it was never created. I'll just GT it from my mind.

I like Chie in the anime the most, but I don't care for her at all in the main game. She's super fun to play with in arena tho
hype Chie mirror matches
Those mirror matches were nuts, lol. That was super fun. Plus Flanderizing Chie really just exaggerates her best qualities as a character. She spunky Steak, Kung Fu girl. In the main game all she has besides that is being bland and her tiny character arc.
YEAH~~~
Edit: btw The REAL gift hasn't gotten there yet.
Oh shit, I'm gonna have to camp out my front door. I was lucky to get this one while nobody else was home.

ultimax

I think its actually interesting, the direction that P4A decided to take with its characters. Instead of trying to give them more development or recapture what they were in P3/4, they decided to make them each more unique, but very generic in character development. Similar to, well, a fighting game. And it works really well. Yukiko is a airheaded "princess" that's also a terrible cook, Akihiko is a protein junkie that wears a cape and no shirt and traveling the world to fight anything. He even wants to fight a bear. Yukari is a super sentai character/model/college student. It just works really well for the context of that game in particular. Idk how well it works for the story though.
I wish the P4 cast got character redesigns like the P3 cast did. In fighting games, the design means everything about that character. You can't really get a sense of what kind of
shitty
character Yosuke is by looking at him, but you can do that from looking at akihiko or mitsuru

I wish the P4 cast got character redesigns like the P3 cast did. In fighting games, the design means everything about that character. You can't really get a sense of what kind of
shitty
character Yosuke is by looking at him, but you can do that from looking at akihiko or mitsuru
I wish Minato would get a redesign.

i can dream that hell be DLC...cant i?

360pages

As someone who writes arc to arc with a weak over all story. I don't think either is wrong, but keeping the mood consistent is important'

Top Bottom