• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

Don't get caught in their rhythm!

Or you'll buy the secret best console of the current generation.

Wonderful 101 is prettyyyyy good.

transformation.gif

You don't want none of this yomi
You already lost just by using that gif because Naruto is lame.

In all seriousness though, can you explain why exactly you don't like rhythm games, specifically in a way that doesn't make you sound like an irrational crazy person.

Unless you just want to keep this shit up for fun, either way I'm down.

You already lost just by using that gif because Naruto is lame.

In all seriousness though, can you explain why exactly you don't like rhythm games, specifically in a way that doesn't make you sound like an irrational crazy person.

Unless you just want to keep this shit up for fun, either way I'm down.

I do it for fun sometimes because I'm bored. But I guess I can go into more detail.

1. Music in rhythm games is like 90% shit. I did like some of the songs in elite beat agents, and I'll probably like some of persona 4 dancing all night's, but that's it.

2. Rhythm games require reading things that happen on the screen and quickly reacting to it with precise and accurate button inputs to react to what just happened on the screen. Kinda sounds similar to a fighting game in that certain aspect, right? Well the reward you get from these difficult inputs is nowhere near as satisfying as getting the timing down for these difficult inputs in fighting games. Unless you're a fiend for points and rubbing in your high score over someone's face. But in that case, id rather just play a fighting game if I was gonna brag about being better at something. The reward doesn't justify the means and I'm just not a fan of any of it. It has it's place in gaming, just not one i ever want to be a part of. Ever.

I do it for fun sometimes because I'm bored. But I guess I can go into more detail.

1. Music in rhythm games is like 90% shit. I did like some of the songs in elite beat agents, and I'll probably like some of persona 4 dancing all night's, but that's it.

2. Rhythm games require reading things that happen on the screen and quickly reacting to it with precise and accurate button inputs to react to what just happened on the screen. Kinda sounds similar to a fighting game in that certain aspect, right? Well the reward you get from these difficult inputs is nowhere near as satisfying as getting the timing down for these difficult inputs in fighting games. Unless you're a fiend for points and rubbing in your high score over someone's face. But in that case, id rather just play a fighting game if I was gonna brag about being better at something. The reward doesn't justify the means and I'm just not a fan of any of it. It has it's place in gaming, just not one i ever want to be a part of. Ever.
There's no point to brag in a dancing game. It's just for fun.

There's no point to brag in a dancing game. It's just for fun.

And that's kinda what I can't understand. How is it fun? Pushing buttons as soon as the mark tells you to, or holding and sliding it across the screen when it tells you to? Is it the music just good for people who like that music? Then in that case, why not just listen to the soundtrack and cut out the button pressing? That's what I'll never understand about it.

I understand the games are difficult. I've played them for myself, I just don't understand what the end result is. It feels as pointless to me as those endless runners. But at least those have a small difficulty curve and are as easy to pick up and play at anytime, unlike a majority of rhythm games.

I see rhythm games as distilling the most common aspect of video games to its purest form, which is just pressing buttons. And it takes that an makes you press them rhythmically and in a specific way that challenges hand eye coordination. Score is obviously an important factor to it, if it wasn't then virtually every arcade game would be rendered a complete waste of time, like Outrun or After Burner.

I obviously like the music when it's good, and I've played instruments in the past so I've always had a good sense of rhythm. For stuff like IIDX or Pop'n Music, it's definitely for those above reasons along with requiring a high amount of dexterity to do songs on higher difficulties.

So because Newegg decided to fuck me and not give me a refund on my broken video card they sent me, I guess I'm just spending my money on a Wii U. Hopefully I'll be able to Smash with you shitlords some time within the next week.

And that's kinda what I can't understand. How is it fun? Pushing buttons as soon as the mark tells you to, or holding and sliding it across the screen when it tells you to? Is it the music just good for people who like that music? Then in that case, why not just listen to the soundtrack and cut out the button pressing? That's what I'll never understand about it.

I understand the games are difficult. I've played them for myself, I just don't understand what the end result is. It feels as pointless to me as those endless runners. But at least those have a small difficulty curve and are as easy to pick up and play at anytime, unlike a majority of rhythm games.

Well, DDR you get off your feet and dance. It's good exercise, and it's fun as hell. Just dancing.

Most good party rhythm games could with a peripheral to enhance the fun.

It's also only fun. If you had fun, and if you liked the music are the only merits to them. Grahpics, performance, length, experience, all that doesn't matter. Just fun.

I see rhythm games as distilling the most common aspect of video games to its purest form, which is just pressing buttons. And it takes that an makes you press them rhythmically and in a specific way that challenges hand eye coordination. Score is obviously an important factor to it, if it wasn't then virtually every arcade game would be rendered a complete waste of time, like Outrun or After Burner.

I obviously like the music when it's good, and I've played instruments in the past so I've always had a good sense of rhythm. For stuff like IIDX or Pop'n Music, it's definitely for those above reasons along with requiring a high amount of dexterity to do songs on higher difficulties.

Rhythm games feel like they're on the polar opposite of the scale of games that give instant gratification. Its too far on the side where its difficult to play and master, but gives very little gratification. That's why I enjoy things like Dark Souls or Character Action games or fighting things. They're difficult to master, but god damn finally doing that one thing that you've been trying to do for a while is just the greatest feeling a game can give you.

Or you know, I'm just reading to deep into it and people like Jpop and pressing buttons and waifu idols. Who knows.

Well, DDR you get off your feet and dance. It's good exercise, and it's fun as hell. Just dancing.

Most good party rhythm games could with a peripheral to enhance the fun.

I guess that's another reward for some rhythm games. I can see that. If you enjoy dancing and music and rhythm, you'll probably like rhythm games. Unfortunately I don't like 2/3 of those and since there's no VGM rhythm game or Rap rhythm game except for DJ Hero, I don't think I'll ever "get" a rhythm game.

Rhythm games feel like they're on the polar opposite of the scale of games that give instant gratification. Its too far on the side where its difficult to play and master, but gives very little gratification. That's why I enjoy things like Dark Souls or Character Action games or fighting things. They're difficult to master, but god damn finally doing that one thing that you've been trying to do for a while is just the greatest feeling a game can give you.

Or you know, I'm just reading to deep into it and people like Jpop and pressing buttons and waifu idols. Who knows.
Eh, I'd say I've had that same feeling of satisfaction plenty of times when playing a difficult song in rhythm games. IIDX is still the only one that really doesn't give instant gratification because of the requirements for passing and the timings on each notes are ridiculously precise. Others provide more leeway early on and can build up to that same level of challenge.

And J Pop ain't the only music people go to rhythm games for. Eurodance, electronic, rock music, etc.

You can get the same out of rhythm games. The increasing challenge of the songs fuel your desire to get better. Simply put, if you wanna get better, you're going to have to put the same effort in.

Eh, I'd say I've had that same feeling of satisfaction plenty of times when playing a difficult song in rhythm games. IIDX is still the only one that really doesn't give instant gratification because of the requirements for passing and the timings on each notes are ridiculously precise. Others provide more leeway early on and can build up to that same level of challenge.

And J Pop ain't the only music people go to rhythm games for. Eurodance, electronic, rock music, etc.

Yeah, none of those genre's of music really do it for me. And I guess in the end this whole thing is subjective of what you really enjoy out of a difficult game. I mean, that won't stop me from shitting all over rhythm games when I'm joking around though.

You can get the same out of rhythm games. The increasing challenge of the songs fuel your desire to get better. Simply put, if you wanna get better, you're going to have to put the same effort in.

I can't see what's at the end of the road that was worth all that practice though. I guess just being able to say "I did it, I beat this music game" is enough for some people, but I just can't understand that kind of thing. I want to beat a difficult opponent online, or pull off some sick combo on a group of enemies or finally master this one area so I can beat this ridiculously tough area and reach the bonfire. I guess "I wanna get better at timing buttons in a rhythm game so I can get higher points and beat a song" doesn't mean anything remotely interesting to me.

Yeah, none of those genre's of music really do it for me. And I guess in the end this whole thing is subjective of what you really enjoy out of a difficult game. I mean, that won't stop me from shitting all over rhythm games when I'm joking around though.
Fair enough. It's just a different gameplay style, and you can't really do anything about people's
shit
music tastes either.

Anyway, I've stayed up way too late in this Dancemania hole I've fallen into, time to go to bed.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Working on my Top 10 for when the thread gets posted. Here's what I've got. These are in no particular order (yet), and it's not final 'cause if I get to play Xrd before the deadline it's going on there instead of Freedom Wars. Same with Miku F 2nd.

1. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - Ultimate Evil Edition (PS3)
2. Earth Defense Force 2025 (PS3)
3. The Binding of Isaac Rebirth (Vita)
4. Caladrius Blaze (PS3)
5. Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate (PS3)
6. Dark Souls 2 (PS3)
7. Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (3DS)
8. Toukiden: The Age of Demons (Vita)
9. Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus (Vita)
10. Freedom Wars (Vita)

Top Bottom