• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

360pages

SMT IV:

I like that Charon is basically your punishment for not saving consistently and being too reckless at the same time. I like it way more than "oh you didn't save? Replay it all" combined with main character death = game over.

The thing is, it's more the fact that you should never meet Charon (Save anywhere) Unless you are going after the fiends, and before you ask. Yes, I found all the fiends, all of them all 1/256 chance of locating them...

SMT IV:

I like that Charon is basically your punishment for not saving consistently and being too reckless at the same time. I like it way more than "oh you didn't save? Replay it all" combined with main character death = game over.

His prices are way too steep to worth the prices most of the time IMO.

Oberon

Banned
Techies, draw techies

I dunno.
Mega milk
verson of Maya would actually make sense tho...

Thanks for the effort

Ok, I'm game, It'll make a great exercise. Any rules to set up?

There aren't much rules, just three characters that might be interesting do draw,
Mhm, I am not sure if we should have a deadline or not. I mean the point is to draw more, and we have to exchange the drawing at some point, to make comments and maybe critics.

The thing is, it's more the fact that you should never meet Charon (Save anywhere) Unless you are going after the fiends, and before you ask. Yes, I found all the fiends, all of them all 1/256 chance of locating them...
Yeah, Charon is only if you forget to save. He would make way more sense if he was in a game without being able to save anywhere.

SMT IV:

Yeah. Although, you should never have to use Charon. Speaking of SMT4, wow, shit just got even weirder.

His prices are way too steep to worth the prices most of the time IMO.

I agree, it's just that I forgot to save so it would have cost me half an hour if I loaded just now, so it was worth it.

Also amazing how much of a difference a bad start to a fight can make, though it isn't too surprising since the entire system is based around momentum. A boss fight killed me in 2 turns and after I reloaded I killed it in two, the only changes being me taking out the team members that are weak to Force and knowing it was weak to Fire.

Gamer Y

There aren't much rules, just three characters that might be interesting do draw,
Mhm, I am not sure if we should have a deadline or not. I mean the point is to draw more, and we have to exchange the drawing at some point, to make comments and maybe critics.
Fair enough, about the deadline, maybe a week if we're just doing lineart maybe? Are we coloring it?

SMT4:
I defeated Tayama, opened the portal, and now the world is a big desert.
That stuff is pretty cool. Won't say anything about what's coming up because spoilers.
Also amazing how much of a difference a bad start to a fight can make, though it isn't too surprising since the entire system is based around momentum. A boss fight killed me in 2 turns and after I reloaded I killed it in two, the only changes being me taking out the team members that are weak to Force and knowing it was weak to Fire.
My biggest gripe with Press Turn is that going into a fight with the knowledge of the enemy contributes so much to winning. It makes winning on a second try much, much easier than your first.

Though you can really say that about any turn based game, it's emphasized in Press Turn.

360pages

My problem with SMT IV is how character motivations goes out the window during the last 1/3 of the game. If feels like they needed to escalate the problem to reach the climax without paying much attention to how the characters acted prior. (Walter being the main culprit of this)

My problem with SMT IV is how character motivations
goes out the window during the last 1/3 of the game. If feels like they needed to escalate the problem to reach the climax without paying much attention to how the characters acted prior. (Walter being the main culprit of this)
Actually it's more paying homage to SMT1 and 2. A Law Hero and a Chaos Hero are kinda mainstays. If anything, SMT4 just gave them way more nuance than just their beliefs, but had their beliefs established. It just lacks a sense of build to that escalation of the conflict.

Comparing SMT 1-4's characters is really interesting.

Oberon

Banned
Fair enough, about the deadline, maybe a week if we're just doing lineart maybe? Are we coloring it?
You can draw however you like it. I really depends on what you're trying to improve on, just keep in mind that the more elaborate it is, the more there's to talk about later on.
The point is also to try new things out, like new artstlye, coloring and whatnot.
I am pretty much paraphrasing Plague of gripes here ^^ So I would suggest you watching his video,( if you haven't already) since he explains it much better I do.

It's a shit game
Don't use nano paste

Why? There's no downside to it.

360pages

Actually it's more paying homage to SMT1 and 2. A Law Hero and a Chaos Hero are kinda mainstays. If anything, SMT4 just gave them way more nuance than just their beliefs, but had their beliefs established. It just lacks a sense of build to that escalation of the conflict.

Comparing SMT 1-4's characters is really interesting.

Massive spoiler below.

I can see that, but Walter going from a somewhat free spirit that was somewhat skeptical to how things work to raging chaos lunatic that wanted to release hell in a span of a single conversation was weird. Same with Jonathan who was okay with committing genocide (At Least I can understand that) I can see this happening after the alternate reality trip with the two, but even during said trip. Jonathan was still willing to defy god to help the humans and Walter was willing to stop some of the chaos somewhat in the second area.

croten

You can draw however you like it. I really depends on what you're trying to improve on, just keep in mind that the more elaborate it is, the more there's to talk about later on.
The point is also to try new things out, like new artstlye, coloring and whatnot.
I am pretty much paraphrasing Plague of gripes here ^^ So I would suggest you watching his video,( if you haven't already) since he explains it much better I do.

Why? There's no downside to it.

Because it makes the game so easy. Honestly there should be a score reduction for it like other character action games

360pages

Nano paste does make the game easier though I can still think of plenty of action games that are balls hard and lets you use items.

NG 1-2 on higher difficulties are hard as hell, but there is no punishment for using items.

Massive spoiler below.

I can see that, but Walter going from a somewhat free spirit that was somewhat skeptical to how things work to raging chaos lunatic that wanted to release hell in a span of a single conversation was weird. Same with Jonathan who was okay with committing genocide (At Least I can understand that) I can see this happening after the alternate reality trip with the two, but even during said trip. Jonathan was still willing to defy god to help the humans and Walter was willing to stop some of the chaos somewhat in the second area.
I really see it as each character quite literally succumbing to their ideals. The fact they're conflicted to an extent despite bei in agreement just shows they're human, but when they become absorbed into the deities they support, they lose that.

I won't argue that that transition isn't somewhat poorly done, but I see what they were going for. The moment where you all split up and don't choose the bad ending, following the alternate reality trip, is when they all become dedicated to their cause, iirc.

Gamer Y

Alright then. reminds me I need to watch his latest gripe vid. Guess we should discuss this over Pm, or at least do something with SBF so it's relevant to the thread?

Oberon

Banned
It makes the game piss easy and they give that shit away like it's candy on halloween

Because it makes the game so easy. Honestly there should be a score reduction for it like other character action games

Nano paste does make the game easier though I can still think of plenty of action games that are balls hard and lets you use items.

NG 1-2 on higher difficulties are hard as hell, but there is no punishment for using items.

The game is on PC, isn't it?
Has somebody made a mod to make usage of Items lower your score?
They could add an easier weapons switch fonction, because that's almost insulting how bad that is. Or one that makes Monsoons weapon not useless ( the last two things are kind of the same)

croten

Yes but most Character action games penalize you for it. Nano paste is like a gold orb that you can use whenever and is super common.

It shouldn't even be in the game, the zandatsu mechanic was a great way of getting back health in the first place.

The game is on PC, isn't it?
Has somebody made a mod to make usage of Items lower your score?
They could add an easier weapons switch fonction, because that's almost insulting how bad that is. Or one that makes Monsoons weapon not useless ( the last two things are kind of the same)

I thought about making an MGR hard mod but I got lazy and never did it.

Beloved

3361B62145A0542D3F4F30A0C0FB113C9964F439

Snarky ass BSoD.

croten

It shouldn't even be in the game, the zandatsu mechanic was a great way of getting back health in the first place.

I understand why they are in the game, it's a callback to the rations in the other MGS games but I wouldn't get rid of them, just heavily nerf them. Make them extremely rare and limit it to only have 3 at a time.

360pages

I really see it as each character quite literally succumbing to their ideals. The fact they're conflicted to an extent despite bei in agreement just shows they're human, but when they become absorbed into the deities they support, they lose that.

I won't argue that that transition isn't somewhat poorly done, but I see what they were going for. The moment where you all split up and don't choose the bad ending, following the alternate reality trip, is when they all become dedicated to their cause, iirc.

I see it too, though there are a lot of random stuff in the game that could have been used to develop those feelings for Walter and Jonathan. The games story had a hell of a lot of filler. I can see the characters as symbols, but the game goes out of its way to characterize them. If they were flat planks it would have been annoying, but I wouldn't complain. But one thing that annoys me somewhat about story telling I when a character has a sudden shift in personality or motive just to move the plot along.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Watching Oreimo. Great show, a little too trope-y and creepy for my tastes at parts (with all the lolita and siscon), but great nonetheless.

It uses a trope in the latter half of season 2, where all the girls make Kyousuke lunch and he has to choose, I don't see it that often, as the only other example I can think of is in Clannad, but it's one of my favorite tropes.

What game is this? That's pretty funny.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. I still need to play it myself.

Watching Oreimo. Great show, a little too trope-y and creepy for my tastes at parts (with all the lolita and siscon), but great nonetheless.

It uses a trope in the latter half of season 2, where all the girls make Kyousuke lunch and he has to choose, I don't see it that often, as the only other example I can think of is in Clannad, but it's one of my favorite tropes.

I thought the show was alright. The 2nd season is terrible, though.

I understand why they are in the game, it's a callback to the rations in the other MGS games but I wouldn't get rid of them, just heavily nerf them. Make them extremely rare and limit it to only have 3 at a time.

MGR is the most recent metal gear that I have actually finished so the callbacks don't really do anything for me. I still think they should only show up in boss fights and you can only hold one at a time.

Oberon

Banned
Alright then. reminds me I need to watch his latest gripe vid. Guess we should discuss this over Pm, or at least do something with SBF so it's relevant to the thread?

We whole discussion part can be done per PM
But I think the Frienders wouldn't mind if we post the results here later on.

I would take out those on-hit-kill sneak attacks too.
I sometimes got a better score because I was hidding and backstabbing everyone. I know why they did it, because of "metal gear" But there's no fun in avoiding battle, and getting rewarded to do so.
Edit: I don't remember, but do combos even matter in this game? And how much points do those sneak attacks give you? Whatever it is, it's probably too much.

True but it's still OP, they shouldn't be as god tier as they are.
They're just for babbies who are playing on Normal and should be playing Easy. As soon as you care about challenge, you should be able to avoid damage 100% of the time, and need to for S rankings.
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. I still need to play it myself.
One of the best RPGs, Vampire: Bloodlines, It's a Troika Game, along with Fallout 1 and 2 and Arcanum.

Ah ok. I know it's seen a lot of community fixes, but I've been holding off because of bugginess.

I liked it better where it was about social stigma about being a otaku. The S1 ONAs were nice tho.
Just gonna post this again for this who haven't seen.

I'm doing an Ultimax/Smash Tournament thing for fun. Quote to reveal doc with rules/details. Sign ups end 27th around 3PM PST

We'll start after everyone is in and I send people their opponents. If you anyone could repost it from time to time just in case someone hasn't seen I'd be really grateful.

Reposting for new page, Remember to send thread names to Goodwil.

Xiraiya

Ah ok. I know it's seen a lot of community fixes, but I've been holding off because of bugginess.

It's a bit awkward in places but it plays well enough, I haven't had any game breaking issues, the unofficial Patch is really quite good, but most of the issues left in the game come from the fact it's running on a busted beta version of the source engine before Valve fixed it for Half Life 2.
This game is great even in it's bugged somewhat unfinished state, it would have been truly special if it had been given the polishing and time needed to put everything in that Troika had planned.
A shame really, they got screwed financially and by the publishers out of finishing the game.

All the quests are perfectly completable, the roughest part of the game is probably the cutscenes which have animation issues.

I see it too, though there are a lot of random stuff in the game that could have been used to develop those feelings for Walter and Jonathan. The games story had a hell of a lot of filler. I can see the characters as symbols, but the game goes out of its way to characterize them. If they were flat planks it would have been annoying, but I wouldn't complain. But one thing that annoys me somewhat about story telling I when a character has a sudden shift in personality or motive just to move the plot along.
I really think it's fine. The old SMT games have the characters spouting and showing their ideology every 5 seconds, but IV gives them a lot more nuance and makes them feel like people, before they're forced to pick a side by the rest of the world. I see it as those characters being forced to choose.

I need to replay SMTIV though, I'm forgetting a lot of the details of the plotline.

It's a bit awkward in places but it plays well enough, I haven't had any game breaking issues, the unofficial Patch is really quite good, but most of the issues left in the game come from the fact it's running on a busted beta version of the source engine before Valve fixed it for Half Life 2.
This game is great even in it's bugged somewhat unfinished state, it would have been truly special if it had been given the polishing and time needed to put everything in that Troika had planned.
A shame really, they got screwed financially and by the publishers out of finishing the game.
All the quests are perfectly completable, the roughest part of the game is probably the cutscenes which have animation issues.
I don't doubt at all that it's a great game, and hearing that there's nothing game breaking is pretty rad. That whole development backstory behind the game is pretty crappy, but I'll definitely grab it sometime if it's actually playable.

DP because spoilers, but also it's fiiiiine.

croten

YMMV.
For some people even with the patches the game can be unplayable

Top Bottom