• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

Xiraiya

YMMV.
For some people even with the patches the game can be unplayable

At that point it has to be a hardware issue or ignorance of patch/mod installation, the game has maybe crashed on me maybe twice in like 15+ hours of playing (Making it more stable than Morrowind, funnily enough), if something goes wrong you can just reload, quicksave/quickload are pretty good and it keeps a certain number of your most recent quicksaves, so you're generally fine if you encounter a random hiccup.

Gamer Y

We whole discussion part can be done per PM
But I think the Frienders wouldn't mind if we post the results here later on.
Got it, looking forward to this! Can we allow other artistic creative frienders to join as well?

so do I give you 3 characters to draw and you give me 3 or we take turns putting up 3?

Holy shit P2:IS

tumblr_lmot3itrza1qafrh6_by_dreamscometrue711-d6a7jy1.gif

JoJo94

Whoo am I a bit rusty at Smash. Gotta say the Mii fighters are really fun. Shulk's backstab seems really strong and slightly spammable. Will probably mainly use Lucina, Robin, Ike, Shulk, and Kirby.

Oberon

Banned
Got it, looking forward to this! Can we allow other artistic creative frienders to join as well?

so do I give you 3 characters to draw and you give me 3 or we take turns putting up 3?

Of course other can join!
I guess we sent a PM with three characters and then you choose which one to draw.
We can sent them right now and at the same time.

Welcome to the NHK Episode 23 Impressions:

Normally it'd be odd to do impressions before the last episode, but I got work so yeah I'll just do a minor one though

No spoilers- the show has been pretty much a roller coaster of consistency. A very strong start leads to a very low episodes 8-10 before picking itself up again and what looks like is starting to fall apart again. It's almost like Death Note in its quality.

It's an interesting anime and I'm looking forward to the last episode, but I was expecting the show to go into more psychological aspects of its characters and plot points, but decides to play it safe and incorporate extremely out of place romance into its situations. These writers are good, but they've clearly fallen into the trap of "problems in romance is the best way to generate psychological issues" when in this situation (and almost everyone usually) it's clearly not and the show suffers badly from it. Hopefully the last episode will have some kind of non out of place conclusion, but I guess I'll see.

Are you doing a side quest or are you at the
sky thing?

I'm past the Museum when you go to the Detective Agency afterward.
I knew about the Hitler thing but wow fucking aliens bullshit is going on? And some bullshit about Hitler being a super mage and the worlds going to blow up when everyone turns to demi-gods because of crystal skulls. And Maya's eye color changed so some bullshit's gonna happen with that and I gotta go learn about how everyone knew each other when they were little but got magic amnesia but I already figured that out a while ago

This party's getting too crazy for me

Welp I gotta go work on P2 then...
King Leo
so cool tho... I think he's a better than P4's
Culprit
in terms of design.

I wish the game wasn't so easy or the boss battles would have been so much hyper. Would have loved to have some of the bosses in late game be a long drawn out brawl instead of a cakewalk.

Fitts

I know this isn't the best place to ask, but I don't want to offend nor feel as though I'm thread shitting in the corresponding OT. Can someone please explain the appeal of Giant Bomb to me? My latest attempt at getting into them is their new GOTY stuff and I just don't find any of it entertaining/funny.

My biggest problem with GB is that there is never any sense of enthusiasm and nobody actually seems to really enjoy gaming. Instead, I get the impression that they're there solely because it's the journalistic field in which they cover and they're going through the motions to collect a paycheck. During the podcasts that I've heard, the most entertaining bits are when they're discussing non-gaming related topics that come up in a tangent. They actually seem to be interested in what they're discussing in these bits, but since I'm tuning in as a gamer that's not really what I'm looking for. In addition, the videos I've seen are entertaining only when the game itself is. Their commentary does nothing to add entertainment value in my opinion. And whether it be the podcast, a video, or a written opinion piece there always seems to be a predominant sense of cynicism. If stuff like overtly obnoxious YouTube let's players (ex: PewDiePie, DSP) makes me cringe instantly, Giant Bomb has kind of become the slow burn equivalent for me. It's off-putting all the same.

I'm asking here because I know there has to be some overlap in the Best Friends and GB fanbases. Pat (possibly others) have mentioned GB affectionately several times in the podcast and Gaf in general seems to appreciate their output. I enjoy the Best Friends' output more often than not because of their genuine sense of enthusiasm toward gaming. Even when they're shitting on something, it doesn't come off as the "this sucks, that sucks, everything sucks" mentality that I get from GB. Instead, they seem to revel in it -- as if for as deeply as they fault something they're still deriving a sense of enjoyment from it. It's just engaging and fun to listen to their insight/commentary whether I agree, disagree, or have any investment in the subject matter at all.

So, is there some specific piece of content that could change my opinion of Giant Bomb? Or is their collective personality simply just not for me?

Because it would spoil
King Leo's Persona
if anyone ever played IS

He didn't at first, but when I battled him and when I noticed
his persona
things kinda clicked.

I see. Personally, I like Culprit more. Culprit's personality and motives were way more interesting to me than
King Leo's.
I won't go into detail because I don't want to spoil anything.

I wish the game wasn't so easy or the boss battles would have been so much hyper. Would have loved to have some of the bosses in late game be a long drawn out brawl instead of a cakewalk.

You should play the fan translation of the PS1 version at some point. It has a proper difficulty.

I know this isn't the best place to ask, but I don't want to offend nor feel as though I'm thread shitting in the corresponding OT. Can someone please explain the appeal of Giant Bomb to me? My latest attempt at getting into them is their new GOTY stuff and I just don't find any of it entertaining/funny.
I had a troubling time trying to get into Giant Bombs stuff as well. What first intrigued me was the Persona 4 Endurance run trying to make sense of a moderately wierd Japanese game from a completely western viewpoint. I really liked the dumb stuff in the recent GOTY video and am currently interested in them for the dumb fun that they have while having interesting opinions about video games. I'm not too familiar with their names, but the content of their personalities working with each other helps.
You should play the fan translation of the PS1 version at some point. It has a proper difficulty.
Are you sure? I'm breezing through that execept I haven't gotten passed the
King Leo
boss fight.

My biggest problem with GB is that there is never any sense of enthusiasm and nobody actually seems to really enjoy gaming. Instead, I get the impression that they're there solely because it's the journalistic field in which they cover and they're going through the motions to collect a paycheck. During the podcasts that I've heard, the most entertaining bits are when they're discussing non-gaming related topics that come up in a tangent. They actually seem to be interested in what they're discussing in these bits, but since I'm tuning in as a gamer that's not really what I'm looking for. In addition, the videos I've seen are entertaining only when the game itself is. Their commentary does nothing to add entertainment value in my opinion. And whether it be the podcast, a video, or a written opinion piece there always seems to be a predominant sense of cynicism. If stuff like overtly obnoxious YouTube let's players (ex: PewDiePie, DSP) makes me cringe instantly, Giant Bomb has kind of become the slow burn equivalent for me. It's off-putting all the same.

I'm asking here because I know there has to be some overlap in the Best Friends and GB fanbases. Pat (possibly others) have mentioned GB affectionately several times in the podcast and Gaf in general seems to appreciate their output. I enjoy the Best Friends' output more often than not because of their genuine sense of enthusiasm toward gaming. Even when they're shitting on something, it doesn't come off as the "this sucks, that sucks, everything sucks" mentality that I get from GB. Instead, they seem to revel in it -- as if for as deeply as they fault something they're still deriving a sense of enjoyment from it. It's just engaging and fun to listen to their insight/commentary whether I agree, disagree, or have any investment in the subject matter at all.

So, is there some specific piece of content that could change my opinion of Giant Bomb? Or is their collective personality simply just not for me?

GB is a semi large gaming journalist outlet spearheaded by a former editorial director at Gamespot. The Best Friends are 4 chuckleheads talking bullshit, 3 of which have a foothold in the FGC and have worked in QA.

Comparing the two seems like apples and oranges.

I've watched some GB stuff. They have great chemistry too, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was more of a "I don't really care" attitude. Take for example the Shadows of Mordor videos, where there's Dan and Brad glossing over game components that they're supposed to care about as journalists, like the story of all things.

I hear the P4 Endurance run and Metal Gear Scanlon are some of their best content.

Well, that's what I've been told. Have you made any new Personas or are you only using your starting ones?
I only made two others before that boss fight. I really like the MC's starting Persona's design way more than I should have. I guess it might be harder since they don't have extra optional missions like in remake.

I only made two others before that boss fight. I really like the MC's starting Persona's design way more than I should have. I guess it might be harder since they don't have extra optional missions like in remake.

That's... dissapointing. I was going to play the PS1 version for a more challenging experience, but I guess not. Well, at least the menus are faster.

Fitts

GB is a semi large gaming journalist outlet spearheaded by a former editorial director at Gamespot. The Best Friends are 4 chuckleheads talking bullshit, 3 of which have a foothold in the FGC and have worked in QA.

So Giant Bomb is primarily a journalistic outlet in which they attempt to inject some measure of irreverence? Maybe that's why it falls so flat with me. I simply don't care for gaming journalism/reviews/et al. Gaf is my only daily gaming read and my only outlet for games news.

Thanks for breaking it down.

Okingjrr

So Giant Bomb is primarily a journalistic outlet in which they attempt to inject some measure of irreverence? Maybe that's why it falls so flat with me. I simply don't care for gaming journalism/reviews/et al. Gaf is my only daily gaming read and my only outlet for games news.

image.php

360pages

Actually I often wonder what people think of the Dragon Balls as a Plot device. You really can't call them Deus Ex, since they have been set up from the very start of the series.

Sure you could argue that they remove tension from scenes when they can just casually wish people back and the one penalty that was in place in Dragon Ball(You can only be wished back once) Was removed later in Z.

I don't think this is a bad thing persay. since the tone of Dragon Ball/ Dragon Ball Z wouldn't fit with permanent character deaths.

I do think it's best to be up front about that kind of thing, rather than have a random event for the reason why no one died.

Sure.

I don't mind GBs content, but I often remember that they are an outlet the same way IGN is, so I can't expect impartiality on reviews. Gamespot IIRC owns Giant Bomb and CBS Interactive owns both of them.

They are still journalist outlets and still can be influenced by devs/publishers financially.

Top Bottom