• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

I love that mash up.
I think Daft Punk and Jake Kaufmen have entered my lifeblood through my ears.
JoJo episode 6 was really good!
Bruford
is so fucking cool. So is everyone else. Up to the next!
Still, I'm glad you're happy with KLK. It's certainly a flawed show, but I also found it to be quite enjoyable. Also the soundtrack is awesome, so that helped.
I'm so excited that you're watching JoJo. And fuck yeah, the soundtrack is godlike. Sorry for the times I was really slow to reply, TLOU is pretty engaging when I boot it up and I forget to check the thread.

Everyone vote on the setting ideas!

http://goo.gl/forms/7TmR3TwHKA
Voted.
I like this quick sit down format, but man that had to have taken a good portion of Matt's time to edit together. Maybe it's all the free time from having his Top 10 of 2014 done.
It's no secret over here that I am a huge, huge TLOU fan, so I understand completely. Besides, you didn't reply slowly at all. Anyway, forget about that and go play it more!
I thought it was a good excuse, and I'm way ahead of ya. :p

360pages

Pokémon really needs to change how they do Gym Leaders. The first Gym leader is good enough for teaching players about types and resistances and weaknesses.

Honestly, a big help in introducing the meta game to new players would simply make Gym leaders Strategy based rather than type base.

Type advantages and weakness is something people will pick up as they go through the game regardless. Gym 1 should be regulated to teaching that and the later Gym leaders focus on other things. Gym 2 could be someone that buff's their pokemon using boost. Gym 3 could specialize in inflicting status moves. Gym 4 could specialize in fast sweeping pokemon while Gym 5 uses walls and stall tactics.

This will allow people to learn more naturally, and teach the games core mechanics through story rather than having it dumped on them post game.

Pokémon really needs to change how they do Gym Leaders. The first Gym leader is good enough for teaching players about types and resistances and weaknesses.

Honestly, a big help in introducing the meta game to new players would simply make Gym leaders Strategy based rather than type base.

Type advantages and weakness is something people will pick up as they go through the game regardless. Gym 1 should be regulated to teaching that and the later Gym leaders focus on other things. Gym 2 could be someone that buff's their pokemon using boost. Gym 3 could specialize in inflicting status moves. Gym 4 could specialize in fast sweeping pokemon while Gym 5 uses walls and stall tactics.

This will allow people to learn more naturally, and teach the games core mechanics through story rather than having it dumped on them post game.
The core audience of Pokemon is children. Children aren't the biggest fans of learning strategy and shit, and just want to blast through the game, using their favorite Pokemon.

That's what the Battle Frontier's job is. To provide a gateway to the indepth aspects of Pokemon.

The only time I've touched the Ultimax story was when I accidently clicked on the story because I was just mashing through menus trying to get online.

sjack

Banned
So I'm pretty far into the Ennies Lobby arc, and I have to say, that Water 7-Ennies Lobby are a strong contender for taking Arlong Arc's place as my favourite arc in the show so far.

So I'm pretty far into the Ennies Lobby arc, and I have to say, that Water 7-Ennies Lobby are a strong contender for taking Arlong Arc's place as my favourite arc in the show so far.

Hope you enjoy it because that's where the show peaks. The rest is fine though currently its pretty bad, but nothing you'll see in the anime after Ennies Lobby is even close to how great the climax of that arc is.

The only time I've touched the Ultimax story was when I accidently clicked on the story because I was just mashing through menus trying to get online.
I did that too, and I was scared I was going to be forced into some unskippable cutscene.

IDGAF about fighting games stories. I just wanna fight.

You know, it's probably time I get caught up on most of the SBFP videos I've missed in the last couple weeks due to my 2014 Bombcast catch up plan. Already made it to August.

I did.that too, and I was scared I was going to be forced into some unskippable cutscene.

IDGAF about fighting games stories. I just wanna fight.

It really depends on the game. I like the fun, but dumb lore of some fighting games, but Persona doesn't have fun, dumb lore. Its just a bad story.

360pages

The core audience of Pokemon is children. Children aren't the biggest fans of learning strategy and shit, and just want to blast through the game, using their favorite Pokemon.

That's what the Battle Frontier's job is. To provide a gateway to the indepth aspects of Pokemon.

I'm not saying make the Gym Leaders super hard, Since Coliseum and XD already had bosses like that during the main game.

(One boss in the game had a rain dance/ Thunder team) I think kids would be smart enough to beat the gym, and if they're not they know to train a little more. This would let smart players clear the game on lower levels as well.

I also think the Battle Frontier is amazing, but not a good learning tool. During the super cups it expects you to know at least a basic knowledge of competitive play. Something the main games always completely fail on. X/Y did better with showing EV's and allowing you to max them out completely even with 0 knowledge of EV drops from random pokemon.

Stadium 2 had an amazing learning school that threw players into situations allowing them to learn.

sjack

Banned
Hope you enjoy it because that's where the show peaks. The rest is fine though currently its pretty bad, but nothing you'll see in the anime after Ennies Lobby is even close to how great the climax of that arc is.

I dunno Marineford look fucking awesome to be honest, although I've heard the anime adaption has issues. As somebody who has really no problem with the anime's pacing, is the anime version of Marineford that bad? And if so, should I read the manga instead?

I'm not saying make the Gym Leaders super hard, Since Coliseum and XD already had bosses like that during the main game.

(One boss in the game had a rain dance/ Thunder team) I think kids would be smart enough to beat the gym, and if they're not they know to train a little more. This would let smart players clear the game on lower levels as well.

I also think the Battle Frontier is amazing, but not a good learning tool. During the super cups it expects you to know at least a basic knowledge of competitive play. Something the main games always completely fail on. X/Y did better with showing EV's and allowing you to max them out completely even with 0 knowledge of EV drops from random pokemon.

What Pokemon needs is difficulty modes. Would add so much more to the game. I love Pokemon, but its just way too easy for me to enjoy it as much anymore. It feels pointless training up a super badass team just to have them blow through everything with no challenge.

Squishy3

It's because the anime pacing is fucking awful for this particular part. They switched some things around that changed the pacing significantly.

I dunno Marineford look fucking awesome to be honest, although I've heard the anime adaption has issues. As somebody who has really no problem with the anime's pacing, is the anime version of Marineford that bad? And if so, should I read the manga instead?
There's one particular Marineford thing that's 100000000000x better in the manga than in the anime, because they had to censor it for the anime.

Marineford's pacing is ok compared to the TERRIBLE TERRIBLE pacing of
Impel Down.
God that arc did not have to be like 50 episodes. Easily could have been 15 episodes and it would have been so much better.

And don't even get me started on how absolute garbage Fishman Island is.

It's because the anime pacing is fucking awful for this particular part. They switched some things around that changed the pacing significantly.

Well to be fair, I'm only at Punk Hazard, but pretty much nothing is happening so far. Which is how One Piece has kind of been since Marineford.

Top Bottom