• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Hexagon |OT| a VVVVVVery cool Terry Cavanagh game on iOS (PC/Mac later)

epmode

I thought the same thing about the distortion but I saw it while playing a bit now, it definitely looks like a framedrop.

Having played it even more now, I agree. I've noticed the same exact section of a song being perfectly smooth in one game and framedroppy the next. It's not gamebreaking or anything but I'd like it fixed for sure.

I love the music but this game is killer. What happened to my once incredible dexterity? I'm a sloppy mess with this flea trying to escape the traps.

japtor

I thought I heard "hexagon" and died right after...but turns out I just misheard "excellent". Beat my old record but still missed the minute mark by a few seconds.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
While I haven't played too many of the other modes in VVVVVV (a couple of the time trials and the guest-created games), it is definitely one of those games where the core experience doesn't have a whole lot to offer once you beat it. It's still a lot of fun to play through, but it won't provide the lasting challenge that Super Hexagon does. That's not a knock on VVVVVV... like Cavanagh said the other day, they're very different games. I've beaten VVVVVV a number of times on both the PC and 3DS. Great experiences with wonderful level design. Some of the best pacing, too. Love that I can sit down, play, and beat this in one sitting. In that sense, it really takes me back to the oldschool days.

The trick to replaying VVVVVV is to go for low-death or no-death runs.

totowhoa

Banned
Having played it even more now, I agree. I've noticed the same exact section of a song being perfectly smooth in one game and framedroppy the next. It's not gamebreaking or anything but I'd like it fixed for sure.

yeah earlier I said I had been having no issues, but part of Hexagoner does experience a frame slight frame drop. It doesn't usually hurt my game, but I don't like that it's there either. Still loving the game to death though.

Corto

againgameoveragaingameoveragaingameoveragaingameoveragaingameoveragaingameoveragaingameoveragaingameoveragaingameoveragaingameoveragaingameoveragaingameoveragaingameoveragaingameoveragaingameoveragaingameoveragaingameoveragaingameoveragaingameoveragaingameover

Help

My 3GS has some frame drops when you start it up, but after a minute or two it seems pretty smooth. frame drops are deadly in this game.

Clunker

I can't stop playing this. Love the music, the aesthetic, the instant retries, everything. Up to about 64 seconds on Hexagon, but now working on Hexagoner.

Corto

This might seem sacrilegeous, but I do better with sound off... But the whole audiovisual experience is perfect.

zroid

Banned
bought :eek:

my first iOS game, oh boy

I don't own an iOS device personally but I decided to set up an Apple ID for myself on my mom's new iPhone 4.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm finding the game slightly easier on my phone vs the iPad.

I'll take any advantage I can get!

I'm biased since I have hours of gameplay on iPhone and maybe like 7 minutes on iPad, but I agree, iPhone version make it easier. Less screen area to focus

ghibli99

Yep, same reason I'm better at things like Cave shooters on a smaller computer monitor vs. a standard cabinet CRT. I can focus on the entire playfield easier and see stuff coming in from all angles. I think the same is true for this game.

japtor

Just noticed Hexagonest is sort of easier on the iPhone to an extent for me cause the dark purple/blue color. The (new) iPad can display the color a lot deeper than the iPhone (4) can, which makes it harder to see against the black background.

Mista Koo

63.32 on Hexagon, 37.12 on Hexagoner. Good enough, no?

I hate masochistic games but this one is captivating.
Btw is there any warning about the graphics anywhere?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This game is simple greatness.

I can't help but wonder though: with a touchscreen, isn't there a better potential control method than just Left and Right on-screen buttons?

Like, I should be able to place my thumb anywhere, and moving it back and forth in any direction would move the cursor clockwise or counter-clockwise.

It would probably make it easier to manuver... but so be it. Make the level harder.

TerryCavanagh

Neo Member

I'm looking into this - I think it's struggling with the fill rate on iPad 3s because of the bigger screen (even though it's not retina)... But there might be some optimisations I can try for an update...

I can't help but wonder though: with a touchscreen, isn't there a better potential control method than just Left and Right on-screen buttons?

I tried a couple of different things here, actually! I tried a single analogue joystick type control scheme, and I tried having your movement snap to each segment, game and watch style. Both feel quite good in the first two levels, but they feel bad once things start getting interesting, so I went back to the two button thing - it's really important to have that instantaneous digital response to your movement at the higher levels.

A lot of people have that reaction to the controls when they start playing, but I think after you've been playing for a while, you'll start to feel why those controls are the way they are!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I accepted some friend requests and now I'm #2 on my friends list on all leaderboards. Son of a bitch

This game is so damn addictive.

I get the same feeling as when I played geometry Wars.

Anyone looking for some adds my name on gamecenter is mikee21286

I'm not great (50 second high) but getting better! Lol

I tried a couple of different things here, actually! I tried a single analogue joystick type control scheme, and I tried having your movement snap to each segment, game and watch style. Both feel quite good in the first two levels, but they feel bad once things start getting interesting, so I went back to the two button thing - it's really important to have that instantaneous digital response to your movement at the higher levels.

A lot of people have that reaction to the controls when they start playing, but I think after you've been playing for a while, you'll start to feel why those controls are the way they are!

Personally I think the most responsive controls would be the ability to slide your finger left and right along the bottom of the screen, with the speed of the rotation being based on the speed you are sliding your finger. Yes you are going to have to pick up and reset your finger now and then, but it would definitely stop me from overshooting my goal position all the time.

Of course, that's assuming that you *want* the controls to be more responsive, maybe that makes the game too easy...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
theres no shame in deleting. we can be numbe r2 together.

The guy who's beating me has had the game for over 2 weeks so I'm not that angry now haha (edit: actually like a month)

Slide to move with variable speed would break the game imo, the game deliberately wants you to move at a fixed speed. You also have to account for screen rotation direction

Chinner

Banned
i still think terry should implement a control scheme based on actually rotating your iphone. just for chaos it would cause.

ghibli99

Yep, they seem a bit strange at first, but in the context of the game, especially at higher difficulties, I don't think any other control scheme and player speed would have been better. I played for about half an hour last night and can't beat my own score. I'm still in the top 5% for Hexagon Hard, but I'm sure that won't last! :)

Thanks again for this game. It's the most fun I've had with an iOS title in a long time.

japtor

Personally I think the most responsive controls would be the ability to slide your finger left and right along the bottom of the screen, with the speed of the rotation being based on the speed you are sliding your finger. Yes you are going to have to pick up and reset your finger now and then, but it would definitely stop me from overshooting my goal position all the time.

Of course, that's assuming that you *want* the controls to be more responsive, maybe that makes the game too easy...
I wouldn't consider that more responsive, cause anything less than full speed (and being able to switch directions immediately) can kill you in a lot of the patterns.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Just beat Hexagonest and it told me "game complete"? I haven't beaten the hyper mode yet.

Anyway, 1 level left! I must have gained some skills overnight somehow lol

ghibli99

Just beat Hexagonest and it told me "game complete"? I haven't beaten the hyper mode yet.

Anyway, 1 level left! I must have gained some skills overnight somehow lol
Nice job, man. I've only beaten Hexagon, and am only around 30 seconds or so on Hexagoner.

NFreak

This game is pretty great although the controls are a downgrade for me from the original game. The music is fantastic as expected.

ghibli99

Slow progress, but progress nonetheless, on Hexagoner. The back and forth sections take some pretty precise timing, but it's getting easier. This game is funny how the moment I beat my previous record, I feel my pulse shoot up. Then I usually die shortly thereafter. :p

Edit: 49:57, which is about 15 seconds better than my previous record, which stood stagnant for a while. The rush you get is pretty unreal.

Edit 2: 70:24. When the screen inverted colors, I freaked out a bit. LOL Damn. In the top 5%, but gotta keep climbing...

Edit 3: Aaaand, my eyes are DONE. @_@ Gonna recharge with some Adventure Time.

xptoxyz

Does the super version have a less repetitive and annoying death-sound(effect+game over voice)? Probably could also be faster to retry. Only complaints :p

Top Bottom