• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Hexagon |OT| a VVVVVVery cool Terry Cavanagh game on iOS (PC/Mac later)

ghibli99

Does the super version have a less repetitive and annoying death-sound(effect+game over voice)? Probably could also be faster to retry. Only complaints :p
It says "Game Over" and "Begin" after every death, but the retry cycle is near-instantaneous. I don't even hear the voice anymore.

Apparently the PC version of Super Hexagon will be coming out in a few weeks, saw a reply on distractionware from Terry.
P.S This game is like crack.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
This is the first time I'm compelled to add people to my gamecenter, everyone post their nicks.

(Mine is Jinfash)

ghibli99

This is the first time I'm compelled to add people to my gamecenter, everyone post their nicks.

(Mine is Jinfash)
ghib99... I would use ghibli99, but it's already "taken". I know it's my own from who knows when, but I have no idea how to figure out what Apple ID it's using, so whatever. Close enough. :)

Oh geez hell nahw.

I just bought that sight unseen and deleted it after 15 seconds of playing.

The only game I ever got "motion sickness" from was Blade Force on 3DO. But almost immediately playing Hexagon I knew we couldnt be friends.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Oh wow, going past the 60 second mark in one of the hyper levels turns the already inverted colors into something more inverted, lol. wow. I always died at the 60 second mark so I didn't really see it before

V1EGUl.jpg

Edit: fuck yes let's do this

hOY8zl.jpg
ZnDwGl.jpg

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
#1 on the non-hyper stage for Hexagoner :)

Analog would make it harder, lol

edit: oops, meant #2. Terry is #1 of course hah

jlevel13

It's such a hard game to stop playing, even when it starts making me feel dizzy and overwhelmed.

The one thing I wish the game had was a stats page to tell me how many times I had played/died.

but yeah, basically a perfect game.

Beat Hexagon, yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

I don't think I've ever gotten through the concentric pentagons pattern when it changes rotation halfway through.

Corto

I love the carousel/spiral pattern... Weeeeeeeeee round and round we go weeeeeeee and... BUMP! GAME OVER

Articalys

FYI, Terry Cavanagh has an "ask me anything" session going on over at Reddit right now.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/zm05m/hello_im_independent_game_designer_terry_cavanagh/

A few of the current top-voted question-answers:
Are you really that good at Super Hexagon or are your high-scores faked?

They're real - honestly, I've gotten kinda numb to the difficulty! To be fair, I've been playing it incessantly for months, so I have kind of a headstart.
What is your opinion on Steam Greenlight, including the $100 fee?

I'm concerned.

Well, ok, there's two aspects of this really - first, the $100 fee, which is unequivocally bullshit. Jonas wrote a very interesting essay on why that is, which I agree with completely.

The other aspect is whether or not Greenlight is itself a good solution to discovering new games for steam, and I'm sceptical. I recognise that valve have a problem that needs to be solved; I just don't know if greenlight is a good solution to that problem. My two main problems with it:

• It has the same problem all rating systems like this have - it disproportionately benefits already popular games, and makes it harder for niche, experimental stuff to get noticed. Ideally, I'd love to see steam highlight amazing games that really need the exposure instead of just becoming a popularity contest.
  • It forces indie devs to become PR people, whether they like it or not. If you want to get your game on steam as it currently stands, you no longer just have to convince Valve your game is worthwhile, which is hard enough - you have to convince the public. Which may mean, for example, giving away lots of cool details about your game that you might prefer to let people discover on their own.

I think there are a lot of cool indie games on steam that would not be there if they had to go through greenlight - hell, I'm pretty sure VVVVVV would never have gotten on steam through greenlight.
Was Super Hexagon built in Flash too, or did you port it from the ground up using different tech?

Yes, Super Hexagon is built in flash! I'm using the relatively new Stage3D stuff, which is how I got it to run at 60fps on an iPhone.

I really like flash, but that's mostly just because I've gotten really used to it. At some point I want to make a change to something else, but I haven't found anything else yet that I really like...

Three follow up questions, if you're not inundated already:
  • Did you/will you have to deal with Adobe's new licensing structure for using premium features?
  • What are your thoughts on it re: your future games? (The game does run fantastically on my iPhone, nice job!)
  • So collision detection in Super Hexagon. I've noticed I can go through or not be penalized when hitting the barricades from the side. I seem to recall that in the web version hitting those barriers on the side would end the game. Is this a game design decision, a technical limitation, or my own misremembering?
  • As far as I understand, Adobe's confusing licensing stuff doesn't apply to what I'm doing for some obscure technical reason. Adobe seem to have extreme difficulty communicating things to people - pretty much any time they say anything there's huge confusion!
  • I can see myself using flash for the next year or so for sure, but I am definitely on the lookout for something new that suits the way I work.
  • It's a game design decision - I tried to minimise fail conditions in the game to ones that felt fair, and dying because you've nicked the side of a wall just felt really unfair.
What's your thought of games having difficulty modes? From my experience playing some of your games I know you like your games to be challenging. Do you feel having an easy mode in your games would "break" the game?

Yeah, my biggest fear about putting an easy mode into something like Super Hexagon, say, is that some people might be inclined to only play the game on that mode, robbing themselves of the experience of playing it the hard way, which is way more fun.

I get that high difficulty is a deal breaker for some people; that's ok. I'd rather focus on making games that are really good on some narrow focus than water things down in some ill advised attempt to try to make something that appeals to everyone.

Bought and damn...this game is hard. First attempt 3.11, second attempt 3.11
Tenth attempt 3.11 wtf? I have to really really concentrate to get more then 20 seconds atm. No comfy couch gaming here :D

totowhoa

Banned
I'm starting to think it gives you a boost too, but I asked him on twitter at any rate. It's middle of the night Ireland so it'll be a while before he responds if he does at all.

Dr.Hadji

Pretty sure you do. Maybe Terry can confirm buy it sure seems that way (I play better when I follow the spin).

I'm starting to think it gives you a boost too, but I asked him on twitter at any rate. It's middle of the night Ireland so it'll be a while before he responds if he does at all.

I'm pretty sure it does NOT give you a boost. If you play the game using set-internal timing, you'll easily prove to yourself that the same button press timings move the triangle the same distance around the circle no matter what. When the game speed really picks up, there's no way you would be able to react accurately to the change in speed especially when the direction changes mid way through a tricky maneuver.

Top Bottom