• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Hexagon |OT| a VVVVVVery cool Terry Cavanagh game on iOS (PC/Mac later)

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I am much better in my iphone than on my ipad. Anyone else notice this? I think since the screen is bigger on the iPad the movement arc for the icon is longer so it throws me off.

ghibli99

I am much better in my iphone than on my ipad. Anyone else notice this? I think since the screen is bigger on the iPad the movement arc for the icon is longer so it throws me off.
Agreed. I tried both early on, but I play on the small screen exclusively now.

totowhoa

Banned
Huh, that's disappointing. I was going to buy this on a coworker's iPad just so I could give it a whirl at work and see the differences. I might not bother now, as I expected it to be better.

This really is insanely fun and difficult, and I haven't even looked at the other difficulties yet

Haha, try Hexagoner and Hexagonest for a minute or two each. You probably won't get over 5 seconds in, but I thought it was really neat how I thought Hexagonest would be impossible and that I could never do it. I've probably only put about 1.5 or 2 hours into the game (just guessing, hard to gauge though since the game is so addicting) and now I'm about 30 seconds into Hexagonest. Not sure how far I've gotten in the hyper modes, but I believe I'm around 30 seconds on those too. Anyway, it's pretty crazy once you're just rolling through Hexagoner or Hexagonest when it seemed like the biggest hurdle ever before. Lots of muscle memory in this game, but it's fun to learn.

Only have 60 some seconds on both Hexagon and Hexagoner but I haven't gone back to play them too much since I beat them. Need to do that.

Edit: man after just watching 20 minutes of my time fly by without realizing it, I bet I've put several hours into this little game actually. No idea how much, though.

feel

Game is such a pleasure to play. Earlier today I drove my friend to her house so she could pick some stuff up before we went some place else, I sat there in the car playing this while I waited and I was actually annoyed that she came back out real quick.

ghibli99

Huh, that's disappointing. I was going to buy this on a coworker's iPad just so I could give it a whirl at work and see the differences. I might not bother now, as I expected it to be better.
It looks cleaner on the iPad to me, but it has more to do with the larger playfield that messes up my timing and makes it more difficult for me to see everything. It's still $.99, right? Give it a whirl... you might prefer it.

totowhoa

Banned
I might if only so he can play the game. He usually likes most of what I recommend him on iOS but I can see this game being a bit much for him. Is it one week that it's 99 cents for the first week? I can't remember. Shouldn't be a whole lot to do tomorrow afternoon so I might give it a go.

Game is such a pleasure to play. Earlier today I drove my friend to her house so she could pick some stuff up before we went some place else, I sat there in the car playing this while I waited and I was actually annoyed that she came back out real quick.

Haha, yeah, my trips to the toilet have been lasting way longer than necessary, because I can't just NOT tap the screen to try just one more time... just one more time... "this round is going to be the one, I can FEEL it... another round or two and I'll be on fire!" I almost pulled it out while using a public restroom at the grocery store today but managed to fight the urge since I certainly wouldn't be playing it with the volume off.

Peeps in the office blaming lack of skill in Super Hexagon on poor controls. Thoughts? Are the controls bad?

Can't see how they could be any better myself, but humor me. What's wrong with them?

The first day I played this I wanted to hulk-rip my phone in half. Now that I've sunk 4+ hours into it I see that there is progress to be made.

Touch controls are weird in their lack of feedback (other than audio/visual) but it seems to me that the controls in Super Hexagon are indeed perfect.

SmokyDave

I seemed to do better on my iPad compared to my iPhone. Check me out, bucking the trend.

My missus hates this game because all she hears is 'game over, again, game over, again, gamer over'. It must be harsh to listen to. Tough, I'm loving it.

ultron87

I too am way better on my iPod than my iPad. I think the smaller play area is just easier to quickly digest and process.

ghibli99

I'm thinking the rumored iPad Mini and its 8" screen would be the perfect middle ground for a game like this (and many other games, now that I think about it). They're saying October, but I hope it's sooner.

Very little progress this weekend. I feel like I'm never going to clear Hexagonest...

Booter

this is now my favorite iOS games and definitely one of the best games of 2012

I am playing on an iPod touch. the game center is stuck in sandbox mode, so the only place I can share my scores is here:

hexagon 77:01
hexagoner 60:05
hexagoner hyper 12:21

Gilgamesh

I'm GunkGoblin on GameCenter. Currently pretty proud of my 42nd place (as of about an hour ago) on the Hexagon stage.

P.S. Wario is a beast.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
kl8IEl.jpg

I feel a little bad about only being able to finish Hexagon, but apparently that's still in the top 10% of players according to Game Center? So I'm not toooo bummed.

Chinner

Banned
you spin faster if you with the spin of the board. its why theres a set spinning speed and its pretty important which way you spin - especially on higher difficulties.

ghibli99

Wow @ that score! Terry's higher than that? Sheesh. I guess that's the slightly frustrating thing is that I am just unable to dedicate myself to any game like that. I 106%'d Super Meat Boy, but the time attack and no death runs I've seen are just on a whole other level. Congrats man... I don't think too many people will reach those heights.

Finally starting to feel the rhythms of Hexagonest, even though I haven't improved my score.

Played much more at work than I should have today ;p

Some of dem scores. My goodness. Added some more gaffers today and now I'm buried :(

Corto

The rotation speed of the pointer I think it's an optic illusion. If you rotate the pointer in the opposite direction to the background you should "move" faster, as the pointer and the background are moving both towards a meeting point. In smaller distances though that should not be a factor. As the distance from your "meeting point" is so short that rotating in the opposite direction would not be fast enough to reach it before colliding with a wall.

ghibli99

I was like 2 seconds short of Terry's, I thought I was gonna have a heart attack right there
Haha... that's what it's all about! Right now I'm happy if I even approach 30 seconds on Hexagonest. :p Again, great scores man.

Edit: I hate the feeling when you stop your rotation just a *bit* too early and touch the very edge of a wall. The worst.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I've already trained myself to go with the rotation, can't undo it

Also, I'm playing with the iPhone on silent

Gaspode_T

Wario I would love to warp you back to 1983 and play some Atari 2600 games together, you would love Megamania for example, or Kaboom with a smoothly spinning paddle.

Corto

Edit: I hate the feeling when you stop your rotation just a *bit* too early and touch the very edge of a wall. The worst.

On the other hand I love when I "clip" the wall from the side and get past it without game over. Sooooo good. Then I die.

LiK

I've already trained myself to go with the rotation, can't undo it

Also, I'm playing with the iPhone on silent

the music is so awesome. i want the soundtrack. but i may have t play with music off to concentrate. it helps me tho.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
On Hexagonest exclusively now (ipad) and my highest is 21 seconds. There's an insane twist at like 12 seconds every time and it completely fucks you up hahaha

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here
This game is incredible. I rarely come back to these sort of arcadey score-challenge games, but I can't stop playing this. It's like Super Meat Boy in that every time I die, I feel like it's my fault and not just cheap game design. Just beat Hexagon after a half dozen games in a row where I beat my previous best by 0.5-1 seconds each time. I then entered a sort of zen state and was able to see the patterns I previously had trouble with a mile away and just danced around them and I beat my best by nearly 20 seconds.

john tv

Curious how people position their fingers, since my progress is slowing to a point where I feel I need to evaluate and potentially optimize this. :)

Me, I'm right-handed, playing on iPhone, and I basically use my left thumb and my right index finger.

What about you peeps?

wrowa

It's the first time waster I don't regret the time I wasted on it. It's so extremely addictive, and its insane difficulty is actually a great motivation to continue playing, since a single session lasts maybe only half a minute if you have a decent run. Knowing that you just need to invest a few seconds to beat your score makes starting fresh much more tolerable ... even if the few seconds turn out to be dozens of minutes in the end.

And I'm glad that I didn't judge the game by its flash demo. Somehow I'm not enjoying that one at all. It's just not the same.

Top Bottom