• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Hexagon |OT| a VVVVVVery cool Terry Cavanagh game on iOS (PC/Mac later)

Curious how people position their fingers, since my progress is slowing to a point where I feel I need to evaluate and potentially optimize this. :)

Me, I'm right-handed, playing on iPhone, and I basically use my left thumb and my right index finger.

What about you peeps?

I'm right-handed and use both thumbs.

Corto

Right-handed and also using both thumbs. After watching wario's video I tried an asymetric positioning of the thumbs with the left in the lower corner and the right on the upper corner of the screen. It seemed that resulted in a better view of the game screen but it was too foreign for my brain. I would have to play a few hours that way to accomodate.

TerryCavanagh

Neo Member
And I'm glad that I didn't judge the game by its flash demo. Somehow I'm not enjoying that one at all. It's just not the same.

Yeah, on some level I'd kinda love to take down the flash version at this point, but I don't think I can - it's sort of it's own thing. It's really really not representative of Super Hexagon at all, though - the original Hexagon is just a jam game I put together in less than a day. Super Hexagon took months of tweaking and replaying and obsessing over to get right.

So I am having the worst time on Hexagoner with the maze-esque obstacle where you need to go left and right. There's the one with the straight-ish lines that's pretty easy, then another variation where they're more hook-like... I don't think I've managed to clear that one once.

wrowa

Yeah, on some level I'd kinda love to take down the flash version at this point, but I don't think I can - it's sort of it's own thing. It's really really not representative of Super Hexagon at all, though - the original Hexagon is just a jam game I put together in less than a day. Super Hexagon took months of tweaking and replaying and obsessing over to get right.

I'm just now realizing that Hexagon was a thing before Super Hexagon was released. I haven't heard of the game at all until the release of the iOS version and since the flash version greets you with a big Super Hexagon ad, I didn't realize that I'm actually playing Hexagon minus Super either.

That explains why the flash game feels and looks more like an unfinished beta -- because that's more or less what it is. :) And I already wondered why you put a demo online that's apparently not quite as polished as the final game...

Looking at it that way I immediately enjoy Hexagon a little more than before. But maybe it would be a good idea to add a disclaimer that Hexagon isn't Super Hexagon but its "predecessor" for confused souls like me.

I was so proud to get past 30 seconds... and then I saw Wario's score. Dude, do you have some sort of brain-iPhone interface? I can conceptualize where I need to go, but I never have the precision to spin around.

totowhoa

Banned
It doesn't seem right, but I keep doing MUCH better consistently on Hyper Hexagoner than on Hyper Hexagon or Hexagonest. Still haven't beat either of those three though. :(

NZNova

Broke 35 seconds, fucking stoked. This game is the core of all evil.

It's far easier if you use the colour divisions of the background to aim your triangle rather than trying to scoot through the little holes in the hexagons. Just aim to be in the right colour segment and you're golden.

totowhoa

Banned
Broke 35 seconds, fucking stoked. This game is the core of all evil.

It's far easier if you use the colour divisions of the background to aim your triangle rather than trying to scoot through the little holes in the hexagons. Just aim to be in the right colour segment and you're golden.

Yup agreed. But I think that eventually once things get going fast in the harder levels a lot of it is about the muscle memory you've built up over time, because you're quickly jumping from gap to gap so quickly that your brain/eyeballs just shut down completely and your thumbs seem to take over.

totowhoa

Banned
Well it'll be out on Mac and PC soon at any rate so I look forward to trying out other input methods. I'll definitely be double dipping. I think the touch controls feel great though.

NZNova

Why? It's a perfect fit. Unless having to make do with the keyboard instead of the mouse is part of the challenge?

ghibli99

And how would the mouse and sensitivity settings make any difference in a game based on binary fixed speed movement? Messing with that would fundamentally change the game. This title is pretty damn well thought out. I can't imagine how many cycles it took to get everything to feel just right.

Edit: A replay save feature would be a nice addition to a future update. :)

japtor

On Hexagonest exclusively now (ipad) and my highest is 21 seconds. There's an insane twist at like 12 seconds every time and it completely fucks you up hahaha
That one gets me a lot too. The only trick I've figured for that is to keep looking ahead and go with muscle memory when the big spin happens.
So I am having the worst time on Hexagoner with the maze-esque obstacle where you need to go left and right. There's the one with the straight-ish lines that's pretty easy, then another variation where they're more hook-like... I don't think I've managed to clear that one once.
I loosely go with the music for the ones where you have to do a lot of small moves, like some work well with one beat, others with two.
It doesn't seem right, but I keep doing MUCH better consistently on Hyper Hexagoner than on Hyper Hexagon or Hexagonest. Still haven't beat either of those three though. :(
Hexagon/Hyper Hexagon is a bitch cause the shape changes, makes it a lot harder to read the patterns since there's three different variations to work with.

ghibli99

Those rapid rotational moments in Hexagonest are my nemesis. I anticipate them, which screws me up to begin with, but then they really disorient me. Gotta power through better. LOL Still haven't even hit 30:00 on that one. :p

Dr.Hadji

I just beat the game!

Took me 11 hours overall. After all that work and at times frustration... the next thing I did after beating the final level was... to play a bit more. I know, crazy town.

Hexagon: 96.39
Hexagoner: 76.53
Hexagonest: 60.33
Hexagon Hyper 60.57
Hexagoner Hyper: 73.06
Hexagonest Hyper: 64.47

There's so much to say about this game. I will be writing a review/analysis or (hopefully) making a podcast about it soon!

ghibli99

I just beat the game!

Took me 11 hours overall. After all that work and at times frustration... the next thing I did after beating the final level was... to play a bit more. I know, crazy town.

Hexagon: 96.39
Hexagoner: 76.53
Hexagonest: 60.33
Hexagon Hyper 60.57
Hexagoner Hyper: 73.06
Hexagonest Hyper: 64.47

There's so much to say about this game. I will be writing a review/analysis or (hopefully) making a podcast about it soon!
Congrats! I expect to be caught up sometime in the spring. LOL

Does "beating" a difficulty means getting at least 60 seconds?

Also, saw someone mentioning bigger play space on iPad, does that mean you get to see things coming from further away or only that the actual screen space to get your fingers on is just bigger (obviously) than the iPod/iPhone?

Falling more and more in love with the game even though I suck at it :p

Dr.Hadji

Does "beating" a difficulty means getting at least 60 seconds?

Also, saw someone mentioning bigger play space on iPad, does that mean you get to see things coming from further away or only that the actual screen space to get your fingers on is just bigger (obviously) than the iPod/iPhone?

Falling more and more in love with the game even though I suck at it :p

yup. At least 60 seconds and you clear the stage.

so1337

On Hexagonest exclusively now (ipad) and my highest is 21 seconds. There's an insane twist at like 12 seconds every time and it completely fucks you up hahaha
Was about to post this. It really does. I HATE IT.

cantdealwithit.gif

ghibli99

25-28 seconds seems to be my ceiling on Hexagonest for some reason (for 2 days now). I start getting nervous around the 20 second mark, and then it all falls apart... it's crazy how the slightest mental hiccup means game over. But I love it.

It's the latter. It comes down to personal preference whether you like it on the big or small screen.

Broke 100 in the first level earlier today, I think I could have done better but someone in the library made a weird noise and distracted me. This game is so awesome.

My dear wife tells me this game looks almost exactly like the visual disturbances she gets when she has a migraine. I'm not allowed to play in on the sofa sitting next to her because of this.

Also, it's a great game, but I'm crap at it. If I get past 30 seconds it's a bloody miracle.

ghibli99

Not much progress. 83 seconds or so is my record on Hexagon. The first 60 seconds have become almost automatic... it's after that when it all turns dark blue that my pulse races. Inching my way up very slowly on Hexagonest. Still having lots of fun!

My dear wife tells me this game looks almost exactly like the visual disturbances she gets when she has a migraine. I'm not allowed to play in on the sofa sitting next to her because of this.
Yeah, I'll sometimes get those weird pulsing patterns in my peripheral before a headache starts, and yes, they are somewhat like this game.

Interestingly enough, I have never gotten a headache from this game. Just really blurry vision afterwards. :p

ghibli99

I got the PvZ table and a Nexus 7 this week, so I've been incredibly distracted by those, so I haven't played as much of this as I would have liked. Still think about it all the time, though. LOL

If I were rich I would commission and/or build an arcade cabinet for this with paddle controls and gift it to Terry. Deserves to be standing right next to Tempest in the arcade.

Or maybe next to Space Paranoids in Flynn's Arcade.

wes-

I just want to thank the developer for this game, it is the first game that i keep obsessing over it and also get the old school "i'm gonna effing throw my controller against the wall / floor" feeling back, but this time it is a $600 phone.
Must...stay...calm..

Top Bottom