• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

dr3upmushroom said:
In case anyone didn't know, if you crouch and press the run button Mario does a roll. Doesn't seem super useful so far, but you can use it kill enemies and break blocks on the ground if you don't have a suit.
I just butt stomp most ground blocks, but it's useful when they're set into the wall.

Weenerz

Banned
This game is the bees knees. I sold my launch 3DS for lack of games, but ended up grabbing a red one and this game today. Game itself was only $20 since Target gave out a gift card with console purchase :O

Weenerz said:
This game is the bees knees. I sold my launch 3DS for lack of games, but ended up grabbing a red one and this game today. Game itself was only $20 since Target gave out a gift card with console purchase :O

You sold away 21 free games...
Wow, man.

dkeane

Up to the middle of World 3 and I'm loving it. Really easy but that's to be expected in the early courses.
3D effect is great. Wish there was move variety in power ups so far.

Neiteio

AceBandage said:
You sold away 21 free games...
Wow, man.
As someone who has all the free games they've given us so far... He's not missing much. Though I guess 30 seconds of Balloon Fight and SMB here and there is nice. Everything else is archaic.

Anyway, back to Mario. Koji Kondo, play dat sax!

Bought it this afternoon and played a little bit. It's really good so far. It feels much closer to the 2D Marios so far than either of the Galaxy games. I found the warp pipe in 1-2, which was a nice call back to the original Super Mario Bros.

Oh yeah, wanted to ask... what does the update that came on the cart actually do?

Neiteio

nincompoop said:
Bought it this afternoon and played a little bit. It's really good so far. It feels much closer to the 2D Marios so far than either of the Galaxy games. I found the warp pipe in 1-2, which was a nice call back to the original Super Mario Bros.
How far ahead does the warp pipe in 1-2 send you?

Just picked this up!

Quick question: how long is this game? I know since it's a Mario game it has a lot of replay value, but still want to know how long the first playthrough will last me.

Thanks!

Excited!

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Just picked this up!

Quick question: how long is this game? I know since it's a Mario game it has a lot of replay value, but still want to know how long the first playthrough will last me.

Thanks!

Excited!

Beating the first 8 worlds is about a 10-14 hour trip, I think.
But then you basically open up a second set of 8 worlds.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
AceBandage said:
EDIT: SPOILER AFTER YOU BEAT THE GAME

You couldn't spoiler that? Fuck. Come on, man.

AceBandage said:
Probably not. I've had it since about noon, it's about 4:00, and I'm almost done with world 7 and have every star coin so far.

It's probably about 15-20 hours total, though, from what I read.

Also I am super pro, so.

KarmaCow

dr3upmushroom said:
In case anyone didn't know, if you crouch and press the run button Mario does a roll. Doesn't seem super useful so far, but you can use it kill enemies and break blocks on the ground if you don't have a suit.

I was hoping the roll worked like it does in DKC games but it just seems to be for speed.

Foov

Got my copy today, only on the second world so far, but I love it. Mario platformers always just bring a smile to my face. And I love all the throwbacks to the original games.

dwu8991

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
So did this game turn out to be the huge mess everyone thought it was going to be a month ago?

I got put off by Amirox and others saying it was too easy!
Me thinks I wait untill it $30 befor joining in the fun.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
User33 said:
Well, its also 100% wrong and typical AceBandage hyperbole to try to hype up a Nintendo exclusive.

Its 8 levels, not 8 worlds

You're wrong, AceBandage is right. It's definitely
8 extra worlds

User33 said:
Well, its also 100% wrong and typical AceBandage hyperbole to try to hype up a Nintendo exclusive.

Its 8 levels, not 8 worlds
Are you trying to unspoiler everyone by providing false info? Because it's the opposite of what you said.

If you're thinking the secret stuff you get to do after beating it is like New Super Mario Bros. Wii or Super Mario World? Nope. Way better!

Ranger X

Man, just played the first 3 levels and I already feel the love. So good!!

I always turn off the 3D after like 10 mins though. :/

3-1 is pretty fucking awesome! Great music and level design. Man this game is so cool.

I really like the 3D that is assigned to the up input on the DPad. It looks better to me, and I like how the 3D doesn't break nearly as easy when you move the 3DS either left or right. Would love to see this method put in more games.

AceBandage said:
I don't know where in the world you got that impression, cut that time in half and you may be right, and even then it's being generous. I've been playing for two hours and I just finished World 4. The game's great and all, but no way should it take anyone here 10-14 hours to finish the first 8 worlds.

I just got to World 5, taking a quick break so I haven't actually started playing it but from the background and what I can see of the first two levels it seems to be a
themed desert world?

The last level in World 3 was a bit of an emotional roller coaster. Initial disappointment when
I got to the boss, which is the same as the world before. Then I beat him and a pipe appeared and I was like "Awesome! He was just a mini-boss! What an awesome tease!" And then I went though it and was immediately reminded that the boss stages have flag poles too.

Oh well, at least World 4 has a different boss, I'm hoping there's not a pattern of fighting each boss twice though.

grap3fruitman said:
I just beat 3-2 and, so far, the only level I've really liked is 3-1. It's the most reminiscent of Mario 64's open exploration style levels.
Yeah, that level totally has a strong 64 feel to it. The Star Coins were in pretty good locations in that level.

watershed

Banned
I thought this game was going to be like NSMBwii and let you store a number of power ups and use them before starting a stage if you wanted. I'm surprised that feature wasn't included because I saw it help novice players a lot.

I don't think this needs spoiling, since it's going to help people more than anything else:

The final castle requires 90 star coins to enter.

So start saving up!

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm not done yet, apparently.

Yeah, it's an even 100.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
UncleSporky said:
I don't think this needs spoiling, since it's going to help people more than anything else:

The final castle requires 90 star coins to enter.

So start saving up!

66 at World 4-5. I think I'm going to be okay. :p

Sydle

Seriously considering picking up a 3DS just to play this. How many hours can one get from it if they try to perfect all the levels?

Hrm, I've got a copy ready for pickup at Best Buy, but weirdly I'm having a hard time getting motivated to drive over and get it. I think talk of how easy it is deflated my hype a little. I appreciate that lack of difficulty doesn't affect everyone's enjoyment, but I'm not a fan of having to wait for post game content to provide a decent challenge, which seems to be Nintendo's M.O. these days. Not to mention I'm a bit wary of the vanilla aesthetic. I'm hoping my lack of excitement is just setting me up for a pleasant surprise. I mean, it's still Mario after all, right?

debbie-downer.jpg

Seriously though, I really need to get off my ass and pick it up already.

Only played a few stages, but loving how the 3D effect actually means something here. Like the little soft start tutorial thing where you're running around has blocks arranged so that it would appear to be an optical illusion in 2D, but you can see where they split in 3D. It's awesome!

rhino4evr said:
Wow ...lots of positive impressions and very little bitching. Am I really on NeoGaf right now?
Never fear, I've got the bitching about a game I haven't played angle covered. :p Knowing EAD Tokyo there's a decent chance I'll eat my words though. I'm all about being wrong when it means a game exceeds my expectations.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
rhino4evr said:
Wow ...lots of positive impressions and very little bitching. Am I really on NeoGaf right now?
This game is pure Mario. The only complaints I've seen is the low difficulty and the repeated bosses. And the first point is rectified in the post-game content. It's quite simply one of the best reasons to own a 3DS right now.

God, this is probably the first time (in any medium) that I've been truly impressed by 3D, but it's such a shame that it's so inconsistent, at least for my eyes. I generally have to hold the system closer to my face than is preferable, and the slightest adjustments ruin the effect.

Jumping toward the screen with the propeller block is genuinely exhilarating.

Teknoman

AceBandage said:
Adds a Join Game feature (can't be used in any games yet though).
Shuffles online friends to the front of the list.
Makes scrolling much faster.

Cool, hopefully it ends up working retroactively with SSFIV and RE Mercs. If not, I guess Tekken and Kart are a sure thing. Maybe that other game thats like Diablo that i'm forgetting the name of.

Anyway: It's Mario Time.

EDIT: And as soon as i'm at the title screen, i'm really like the new theme.

Top Bottom