• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Roto13

Just finished World 1 and liking it so far. There's a surprising amount of exploration and secrets for such a linear game. I liked the last level in the first world
when you beat Bowser and he falls into the lava and it turns out he was a goomba in disguise. :p That's a great throwback to SMB 1.

It's taking me a little while to get used to the mechanical changes, like the run button and having to charge the crouch jump.

KarmaCow

Wait hold on, each world only has 5 levels? I've only completed the first world so maybe that changes, but if not that's pretty lame.

And I'm already sick of the camera angles in the game. It's a very gimmicky use of the 3D and it's very annoying when playing in 2D.

Other than that, it's alright so far. The levels end before they really get started, but I'm still early into the game.

Pyrokai

And has anyone discovered the two different "kinds" of 3D you can toggle by hitting up or down on the D-pad? It's like "pop-out" versus" "window" 3D. Give it a try. I can't figure out which one I like more! And I can't remember which one was the default?

Pyrokai said:
And has anyone discovered the two different "kinds" of 3D you can toggle by hitting up or down on the D-pad? It's like "pop-out" versus" "window" 3D. Give it a try. I can't figure out which one I like more! And I can't remember which one was the default?

You just blew my mind...

I was up all night and just got this........This game is great, I won't be sleeping for a while yet. Love the 3d and vibrancy! I had no problem with running speed or holding a run button, feels natural to me.

This is an impressive game.

Mik2121

Pyrokai said:
It shows up right on your face when you start a level, lol. I don't think I'd call it "discover" :p

Anyway, I like the pop-up one more. I used to like the other better, but the first one feels better when doing certain jumps on the harder levels (final bunch of the Special sets).

Just got it, starting it up right now!

Took about a half hour to buy it at Target. Asked an employee if they had it and it said "That doesn't come out until Tuesday."

"No," I said, "I'm pretty sure it comes out today."

"Well, I can check if you want but the entire time I've worked here I've never seen a game come out on a Sunday."

He types the name of the game into this little scanner thing, surprise surprise it's out today, but I guess he doesn't want to be wrong so he says "That's weird, it does say it's out today, but I can't sell it to you if it's a mistake, so that's see if it'll actually let me ring it up."

Surprise surprise, it does, cue him being gone for fifteen minutes finding it in the back, in the meantime some lady and her kids wait right by the counter so the guy helps them first when he gets back. I didn't see what they were buying but the kid was using his "piggy bank money," which meant that they spent another ten minutes counting out dollar bills and change.

Mik2121 said:
It shows up right on your face when you start a level, lol. I don't think I'd call it "discover" :p

AceBandage said:
You just blew my mind...
Haha! This is really interesting, first time a game has allowed different 3D settings beyond depth? Did we know this going in? Surprised a bigger deal wasn't made about the feature.

Yuterald

Already got all Star Coins in the first two worlds. Halfway through World 3 and LOVING IT! There is nothing quite like a blue sky, breezy Sunday afternoon with a perfect Nintendo game. So good.

Neiteio

This game is AWESOME. Man, what a season this has been for games. Batman, Uncharted and now this. (Still getting around to Skyrim.)

Where's the last medal in 3-4?

Loved 3-4 and 3-3 (the snow level with the tightropes and Fuzzies, and the level with the falling platforms from SMB3, respectively).

EloquentM

aka Mannny
KarmaCow said:
Wait hold on, each world only has 5 levels? I've only completed the first world so maybe that changes, but if not that's pretty lame.

And I'm already sick of the camera angles in the game. It's a very gimmicky use of the 3D and it's very annoying when playing in 2D.

Other than that, it's alright so far. The levels end before they really get started, but I'm still early into the game.
Don't worry about the length of the game

Mik2121

You guys are seriously finding world 2-4 challenging?

Because that stuff is some cakewalk compared to some of the stuff coming later on. And that level multiplied by around 1,000,000 is the difficulty of the latest level :/

Also I guess I shouldn't be much around here because I know a lot of people will come by just to say "oh my god each level is so short, I'm already on world 3 and there are only 8 worlds? This shit is going to last me just a few hours", without knowing there's more to come, which lasts much longer.

This shouldn't be a spoiler because pretty much all Mario games have them so.. yeah, the first 8 worlds are just an introduction compared to what comes next.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Neiteio said:
This game is AWESOME. Man, what a season this has been for games. Batman, Uncharted and now this. (Still getting around to Skyrim.)

Where's the last medal in 3-4?

Loved 3-4 and 3-3 (the snow level with the tightropes and Fuzzies, and the level with the falling platforms from SMB3, respectively).

You have to
jump on the moving/floating '?' block near the end of the level. It'll take you to the coin.

hatchx

Banned
Pyrokai said:

I much prefer pop-out. I think the other one was the default. Pop out honestly just works so much better for my eyes.

Great feature though.

Boogiepop

Sooo goood. Wasn't entirely, completely feeling it at first, but I got to 3-1 and it just clicked. Just finished World 3, and it was great. It really does have feel like a mix of just about everything Mario-wise, depending on the level.

StickSoldier said:
This game is awesome.. Really feels like a hybrid of the 2D/3D games. Very cool. I'm only on 1-2 right now though.

Yeah, even though I heard talk about how the game felt like a mix of both, I just couldn't really see it from the media that kept getting released. But after actually playing it, you can really feel the combination.

I was one of those who was just not hyped for this game at all. Picked it up this morning because I really wanted something to play on my 3DS and knew it would be good and fun because it's Mario and from the Galaxy team, but it's really exceeded my expectations so far. The team's creativity and their knack for just getting "fun" down is fully on display; they have such good level designers there.

hatchx

Banned
Just thought I'd chime in and say I love the 3D in this game. The isometric/panoramic style is so endearing. It is very different than a 2D platformer or a 3D platformexplorer

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm very anxious to pick this up. I knew nothing about the game prior to watching GameTrailer's review. I'm delighted to find out this is a 3D game with fixed camera angles! Hurrah! That's exactly what I was hoping for from a 3D Mario game.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OP updated with GT's review, revised MetaCritic/GR scores, and a warning about the file select sparkles and the invincibility leaf.

Neiteio

EvilMario said:
You have to
jump on the moving/floating '?' block near the end of the level. It'll take you to the coin.
THANK YOU. :)

Love love love this game! Perfect blend of everything I love about the series! :)

Just played the first two levels, hovering with the Tanooki suit rocks, love this game! Also, going between walking and the run button feels fine. Love the mix of platforming and light exploration.

EvilMario said:
Do people actually grind for 1ups in Mario games?
I did about 500 lives to max out after I unlocked the Special Worlds. Did it so my OCD collectathoning doesn't take over in the late game, only took me like 10 minutes.

Skilletor

Agent Unknown said:
Just played the first two levels, hovering with the Tanooki suit rocks, love this game! Also, going between walking and the run button feels fine.

I like the run button. I haven't played much of the 3D marios, so having a run button feels very natural to me.

Loving this game so far. 3D is really good, adds a lot to the platforming elements.

I didn't finish world 2 yet (as everybody said 2-4 is OMG AMAZING) but I can already say it's the most fun I ever had with a Mario game!
I love how compact it is.

Skilletor said:
I like the run button. I haven't played much of the 3D marios, so having a run button feels very natural to me.

Especially if you've played Mario 64 DS there's no reason not to be used to it. Controls are tight all the way.

Roto13

Where's the last star coin in 2-2?
The underground stage with all of the green panel switches.

Also, what are people referring to when they talk about "shiny stars"?

Top Bottom