• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I've played 2.5 hours so far and I'm already at world
5 and I've gotten all the coins thus far lol

I'm hoping it gets more challenging later on :p, but I'm still enjoying it a lot.

Well, drained the 3DS' battery so I'll be taking a bit of a break. Been playing on and off all day and am about halfway through World 6. Some of the coins are getting pretty hard to find and I've been at least dying occasionally.

My only gripe with the game so far is the long jump. Trying to hold down Y while then pressing right, B and R is not easy to do for me, and I consistently mess it up, which is annoying when I am trying to use it in order to reach the top of the flag pole.

dwu8991

Banned
rhino4evr said:
Wow ...lots of positive impressions and very little bitching. Am I really on NeoGaf right now?

I'm shocked. I thought everyone would be over galaxy-style games by now.
I also think that the lack of 3DS games makes it look better than what it's probably is worth.

dwu8991 said:
I also think that the lack of 3DS games makes it look better than what it's probably is worth.
Nah, if this were a Wii game I'd still be all over it. It's just plain an awesome, well-made game.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
dwu8991 said:

This is far from Galaxy style.

dwu8991 said:

Nah.

Wow took me a good min or 2 to find this at the GameStop at the bottom of the 3ds section.
Had it preordered but it is still a bit sad.

This, la noire, skyrim, final projects. Shit.

Picked up my copy, played for an hour and a half or so. Good but kind of easy but yeah, I'm only at World 4 so far and I know stuff gets hard later. Really glad the 3D is not that bothersome.

The game has got some surprising visual humor, haven't laughed at a Mario game since...well back when Mario was blowing up castles in World.

I think my favourite thing is the return of that World music with the music notes from Galaxy.

Neiteio

dwu8991 said:
3D Land is so refreshing because it's NOT like Galaxy. Or quite like any other Mario game before it. It's 2D gameplay in a 3D world. Not even the sidescrolling portions in Galaxy compare. It's amazing and I already want sequels!

Kyzer

Banned
dwu8991 said:

People still arent over Super Mario Bro.-style games, brah.

loosus

Banned
dwu8991 said:
This isn't really Galaxy style. It feels more like New Super Mario Bros., just with an extra dimension. The controls are MUCH more solid this time. If it were Galaxy style, nobody outside GAF would give a shit because those games sucked.

Thank you, Nintendo, for getting with the program. Next, get rid of the third dimension altogether!

dwu8991 said:

This game is different enough from Galaxy I'd say. It's a nice middle ground between Galaxy and New super Mario Bros Wii (more former than latter).

EDIT: Beat mercilessly.

loosus said:
This isn't really Galaxy style. It feels more like New Super Mario Bros., just with an extra dimension. The controls are MUCH more solid this time. If it were Galaxy style, nobody outside GAF would give a shit because those games sucked.

Thank you, Nintendo, for getting with the program. Next, get rid of the third dimension altogether!

Wait, when did the Internets decide Galaxy sucked? I'm glad I missed that.

Kyzer

Banned
I had no idea Galaxy had haters. Much less that people think only NeoGAF likes the titles. I guess millions of consumers and an extremely high media reception can be ignored if you have a problem with it personally.

I understand everyone has opinions but. like. Are you not aware that your opinion is the minority?

Teknoman

dwu8991 said:

Fun is fun.

loosus said:

jNOB8secduTkt.jpg

Playing with headphones on and just completed World 1. I had a smile on my face for the entire time. No other platformers can touch the magic of a Mario game, the Galaxy team is just amazing. The 3D is wonderful too. Even though I enjoyed New Mario Bros. and New Mario Bros. Wii, Mario 3DS just gives me a better first impressions of the game so far, well, just like the Galaxy titles for that matter.

loosus

Banned
Andrex said:
loosus has such bad taste I can't tell if he's actually trolling this time or not.
Dude, let's not get off-topic. Let's just agree that the Galaxy games are a black eye on Nintendo's record and move on!

Glix

This game is great. Through the first three worlds, with all coins.

He still says "Mexico" at the start of every level! ;-)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
loosus said:
Dude, let's not get off-topic. Let's just agree that the Galaxy games are a black eye on Nintendo's record and move on!

Ok dude. :p Just like Uncharted 3 for ND.

Boogiepop

Holy crap, World 8 is so so so so so fantastic. I mean, soooooo good. So very, very good.
This game has me hooked, but I think I'll need to pull myself away from it for at least a little bit.
I still can't believe it though, it just... keeps getting better.
For those who are curious, I just did a straight run through the game, not ignoring the skippable levels in each world and only going back to a level once
the fire flower section of the "Zelda" level, for which I had no fire flower
, and not dying too often. According to my logs, 3:41, which isn't too shabby, IMO, considering what the postgame content seems to be throwing at me.

Damn, already done with world 1 after 20 minutes. I'm gonna blow through this in less than a day, but I don't care. Pure platforming bliss in a whole new dimension.

KarmaCow

Neiteio said:
Speaking of the
Zelda level
(5-2), where is the first star medal? The fire flower puzzle is the second medal...

In the circular room with the spinning spikes, jump on the ledge on the bottom of the screen.

I don't really consider 5-2 a spoiler since they formally showed it before, but whatever. Arguing is futile.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
loosus said:

Oh ho! So YOU'RE Sean Malstrom.

Cover blown!

Paco said:
Seriously considering picking up a 3DS just to play this. How many hours can one get from it if they try to perfect all the levels?
Around 16 seems to be the common answer so far. And that's the first time through, personally I like to break out Mario games every now and again.

Just got the world 7. I can't even remember why I ever thought the game might turn out to be just decent, it's a damn fine Mario game. 6-4 was really cool with the
platforms that appear and disappear to the timing of the music. I was there was more neat little touches like that.

The world 6 airship was a pretty nice step up in challenge too, I only died once and while making a really stupid mistake, but if the game continues to get harder it definitely bodes well.

I only have two complaints so far.

1) I really wish there were more powerups. You don't even get the
boomerang suit
until halfway through, and unless I missed something it hasn't seemed like it's required to get any star coins yet. I feel like I'm in the tanooki suit a majority of the time, more variety in that regard would have been nice.

2) World 6 spoiler:
The repeating bosses are pretty lame. I really hope there's two new bosses in the special worlds, spinny guy and boomerang girl weren't really all that interesting the first time around.

They kind of dropped the ball a little in those two area, but the game is still outstanding. It definitely stands up with the console games, I was expecting that I would walk away thinking "That was a really awesome Mario game for a handheld" but I'd say I like it as much as Galaxy already, the blending of the 2D and 3D styles and the callbacks to the old games are really fun.

Neiteio said:
Speaking of the
Zelda
level (5-2), where is the first star medal? The fire flower puzzle is the second medal...
Wow, was the whole level overtly that way or just one room or something? I was kind of keeping an eye out for that and I didn't even notice.

Skilletor

I just beat the first ship. The nostalgia with the music is so strong. The 3D is SO well done in this game. Loving everything about it except the difficulty. But I'll be playing this a lot just because it's so fun.

Hoping the later levels and postgame content up the difficulty.

The thing that struck me about this game upon first playing was the slow controls.

Then after about 5-10 minutes, I wouldn't want it to control any differently as it is the same great Mario of the better games in the series before but it has its own identity, in large part because of the diferent controls.

Now, would I want every game in the series to control like this????

No.

But it just feels right here, especially because of the level design and because it's portable.

I have one major negative though, the game is going by too fast. I know about all the bonuses but I am on World 4 and I don't want it to stop anytime soon.

What we have here, folks, is a template to build a good 2-3 Mario games on for this finally realized system.

vferrel said:
Just finished World 1. Really like the 3D effect, but it's the first game on 3DS where I have a headache after playing it.
Turn it down from full blast. I set my 3d at minimal , full blast will give you headaches

Neiteio

dr3upmushroom said:
Wow, was the whole level overtly that way or just one room or something? I was kind of keeping an eye out for that and I didn't even notice.
Aside from the fireball torch puzzle and jingle, there was the top-down perspective, the square rooms, the Spinies as Spike Traps, and the rolling logs from Link's Awakening.

I've been playing a few hours now, and I'm on world 3. I'm really loving it. I feel like this game accomplishes its goal of bridging the gap between 2D and 3D Mario. It really does feel like half 2D Mario and half 3D Mario. That's not to say it feels like a 2D Mario half the time, it's more like it has a lot of 2D Mario things. Like how they finally got the fireflower right in a 3D Mario. Now that I've played this game, I feel like I would really like to see them go all the way with bringing the 2D Mario theme into 3D. This game has a lot of 2D Mario things, but it also has a lot of Mario 64 and Galaxy. I want to see something that really looks like a SMB3 or SMW level in 3D.

I don't usually even play in 3D, but SM3DL is doing something different. It just looks right in 3D. When I turn the slider up, I don't see the background move way back. There's a very slight difference between having the slider all the way up and just barely on.

1-1's second star coin had me stumped, sad to say. XD

But yeah, this game is fantastic so far. Really feels like the perfect transition of 2D Mario to a 3D plane.

Also, it's SOOOOOO PRETTY.

By the way, one review mentioned the propeller powerup as being a big negative and disappointment, I disagree so far compeletely and like that powerup a lot.

I guess it will vary from person to person though as many hated Spring Mario, etc...

I just was worried this powerup was "broken".

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I've played it today for one hour and I'm absolutely in love. It's the perfect mix between 2D and 3D Mario. Everything just feels right.

Top Bottom