• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

wiibomb

is interesting that this game is even more well recieved among here and other forums, than the reviewers so far, that speeks well of the game, though I will have to wait a bit more for my copy to arrive, oh so much wait...

Orayn

Caved in today and got this game with a brand new red 3DS. Really loving it so far - Feels like a great hybrid of NSMB and the pure platforming levels of 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy. Visuals and sound are top notch, though I kind of wish it had analog control instead of 8-way with a run button.

joe1138

Yeah, Super Mario 3D Land is just too much fun. I really don't understand some of the early complaints regarding this game being slow going at the start.

EDIT: Also, the "raccoon tail" motif the game employs is just the right amount of whimsical and zany to really float my boat.

gururoji

I have to echo the positive impressions. I feel like as long as you don't come in holding onto particular expectations (e.g that it will play exactly like Galaxy, or 3, or any other previous Mario for that matter) then I don't know why you wouldn't have fun with this.

I'm up to 3-4 after maybe an hour or so and have not encountered very much of a challenge but it really doesn't matter much because I'm thoroughly enjoying myself. I have had to double back into the stages a few times to get all the coins along the way. A lot of the secrets are clever in that classic Mario way, and while some stages shine more than others, I haven't felt like there's been a dud in the bunch.

I'll second the comment that I don't know why that particular reviewer disliked the propeller box, it's a blast.

I can't help but contrast this with NSMB (the original DS one) where I played through like a dutiful Mario fan but didn't feel much of a thrill from it until World 7 or so.

If the postgame stuff is truly as much of a step up from the maingame content as everyone says, I'm likely to flip out for it!

Sweet, I just discovered that rolling and then jumping lets you do a somersaulting long jump, which you can then chain into another roll and another somersaulting long jump ad infinitum. Coolest move in a 3D Mario game yet!

Neiteio said:
Aside from the fireball torch puzzle and jingle, there was the top-down perspective, the square rooms, the Spinies as Spike Traps, and the rolling logs from Link's Awakening.
Yeah, I just played the level again and got it all right away, I guess it was all just a little too subtle the first time through without knowing what it was supposed to be. Also, I didn't have the Fire Flower the first time through so I missed that part.

I guess that one website editor who wrote that her enjoyment of the game hinged on what was in the room beyond the Fire Flower room will be pretty disappointed.

Kind of wish I hadn't known about that now, if I had done the puzzle and
heard the jingle
it would have been an awesome "Holy shit!" moment as all the pieces fit together. But yeah, the first time through I just though "Cool,
top-down perspective
and didn't think much of it, and the various traps are pretty subtle in my opinion if you don't already know what you're looking for.

gururoji

Orayn said:
Caved in today and got this game with a brand new red 3DS. Really loving it so far - Feels like a great hybrid of NSMB and the pure platforming levels of 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy. Visuals and sound are top notch, though I kind of wish it had analog control instead of 8-way with a run button.

OK, maybe this 8-way run thing has been addressed already, I'm not sure having not read the entire thread.

It's true that I don't feel any analog-ness to the speed of walking, but your movement is absolutely not limited to 8 directions. I've tested this out at least 5 separate times throughout the game just to make sure I'm not crazy. Go find a flat spot and try to run at a 30 degree angle instead of a 45. It works.

gururoji said:
OK, maybe this 8-way run thing has been addressed already, I'm not sure having not read the entire thread.

It's true that I don't feel any analog-ness to the speed of walking, but your movement is absolutely not limited to 8 directions. I've tested this out at least 5 separate times throughout the game just to make sure I'm not crazy. Go find a flat spot and try to run at a 30 degree angle instead of a 45. It works.
I haven't done any testing or anything (might try this out the next time I play... right after I finish typing this) but yeah, if the movement is 8-way it doesn't hurt the game in any way. I was really disappointed when I heard about it but the entire time I've played so far I haven't thought about it or noticed any awkwardness to the movement at all.

dwu8991 said:
I'm shocked. I thought everyone would be over galaxy-style games by now.
I also think that the lack of 3DS games makes it look better than what it's probably is worth.

Not really. It's not like the 3DS is the only system available for us. It's just a fun game honestly.

gururoji

dr3upmushroom said:
I haven't done any testing or anything (might try this out the next time I play... right after I finish typing this) but yeah, if the movement is 8-way it doesn't hurt the game in any way. I was really disappointed when I heard about it but the entire time I've played so far I haven't thought about it or noticed any awkwardness to the movement at all.

I might as well elaborate a bit--I've been wondering if there is some sort of "8-way assist" at certain times or something? I felt like when I was doing isometric / "diagonal" camera sections that I had no trouble staying in diagonal alignment with them...that's precisely why I did all the testing I did when I got to larger flat spaces.

If they are pulling something like that off, I feel like it's very transparent. But maybe they're not and the game just controls well! I'm not sure, but the bottom line is, I don't find all of the pre-launch groaning over 8-way running to be justified.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
This is killing me, but I can't seem to find third coin on 2-2. But other than that, awesome.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
StickSoldier said:
Haha, it's hidden very well! I'll tell you where it's at if you want to ruin the surprise :p.
Aw..I figured it out, and I must say that's not fair.....

jokkir

Got the game a few hours ago and played until the middle of World 5. I have to say that this game is pretty damn awesome. There's just this certain charm about it that makes you fall in love with everything about it. Out of all the levels I played so far, I liked them all.

I think I'm putting this up with my favourite Mario games. It's up there with Super Mario World and Mario Bros. 3 (haven't played any of the Galaxy games yet)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
World 7 now. All the Medals have been collected so far with little trouble. Game is very appealing and has that great Mario feel to it, but it is a bit on the easy side thus far.

Neiteio

Parallax said:
This is killing me, but I can't seem to find third coin on 2-2. But other than that, awesome.
In the flagpole area, there are bricks at the bottom of the cliff at the far left. Roll into them by crouching with L or R and then hitting the jump button. Then crawl through.

Medalion

Banned
I got dis game now

It really does feel like a weird amalgam of SMG and Super Mario 64

Great stuff...but the levels I gotta say feel short. I think I need to play the game over to develop more appreciation for the littler things instead of rushing through the gameplay.

Teknoman

EvilMario said:
World 7 now. All the Medals have been collected so far with little trouble. Game is very appealing and has that great Mario feel to it, but it is a bit on the easy side thus far.

Wait till round 2.

gururoji said:
I might as well elaborate a bit--I've been wondering if there is some sort of "8-way assist" at certain times or something? I felt like when I was doing isometric / "diagonal" camera sections that I had no trouble staying in diagonal alignment with them...that's precisely why I did all the testing I did when I got to larger flat spaces.

If they are pulling something like that off, I feel like it's very transparent. But maybe they're not and the game just controls well! I'm not sure, but the bottom line is, I don't find all of the pre-launch groaning over 8-way running to be justified.
Definitely not, if you didn't tell someone it was 8-way a huge majority of people wouldn't even notice, and I doubt many who did would complain about it. After messing around with it for a bit though I am pretty certain that it is in fact 8-way.

The
block you get stuck in that makes you hiccup
on 8-1 is amazing. Definitely a highlight of the game for me, it makes the part where you're running away from the balls so much better,
amazing gag to be hiccuping coins and stuck in a box while going through one of the most tense parts of the game up to that point.

While I admit I was in the camp that was kind of lukewarm going in, the game has definitely exceeded my expectations by a ridiculous degree. I'm never, ever, ever one to care about review scores, or even games reviews in general, but I actually want to go read 1UP's review now and see why they gave it "only" a B+.

chickdigger802 said:
fuuuu

where the crap is 1-1 2nd coin????

Can't continue without getting it ;)

Haha yeah, I've made sure to get all 3 coins before continuing to the next level. Makes the levels feel longer when you have to play them a few extra times.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
At World 7 now with 123 lives. I see they decided to remove the usual 99 life cap. At least the level are starting to get a little harder, but I don't expect to die too often until the post-game.

Skilletor

charlequin said:
Actually, this is my absolute favorite thing I've heard about the game so far. Gotta keep that SMB3 spirit alive!

It really does remind me of a sequel to that game.

I'm loving this game. It's what the 3DS was made for.

StickSoldier said:
Haha yeah, I've made sure to get all 3 coins before continuing to the next level. Makes the levels feel longer when you have to play them a few extra times.

Yeah, the problem is that exploring is annoying when you run out of time.

Also, the static camera is usually fine, but if you want to backtrack, I've died more than a few times due to a hole I couldn't see.

Fun stuff though!

Too many games. Too much hw. Not enough time =O

Neiteio

Man, I'm only beginning World 7, and I already want them to sequelize this. To me, 3D Land is like the capstone title of everything Mario games have achieved up to this point, paying homage to the best bits of all its predecessors. For 3D Land 2, they can be even more imaginative and do something as zany as the setting of SMB2. The only problem is that Nintendo EAD Tokyo will probably be put on a WiiU project, if they haven't already... But don't get me wrong -- I'd love to see them make an HD Mario!

chickdigger802 said:
Yeah, the problem is that exploring is annoying when you run out of time.

Also, the static camera is usually fine, but if you want to backtrack, I've died more than a few times due to a hole I couldn't see.

Fun stuff though!

Too many games. Too much hw. Not enough time =O

Haha yeah I hear you. I haven't really had a lot of problems with running out of time but I do wish the camera was a little bit more adjustable. I still haven't found myself using the right/left dpad directions to move the camera much.

XenoRaven

chickdigger802 said:
fuuuu

You can climb trees.

Loving the game so far. My friend got it and said he was disappointed so I was a little nervous. I think he's just crazy. I love the mixture of gameplay styles and throwbacks from past 2D and 3D Mario games.

XenoRaven said:
You can climb trees.

Loving the game so far. My friend got it and said he was disappointed so I was a little nervous. I think he's just crazy. I love the mixture of gameplay styles and throwbacks from past 2D and 3D Mario games.

Yeah. I climbed every tree, EXCEPT that one =P

Chatin

Took down world eight and my thoughts:
The special versions of the levels are ridiculous. It's like the challenge comets from the Galaxy games, but they expect you to find those star coins, too. Gonna pull my hair out, and it's gonna be great.

chickdigger802 said:
fuuuu

I can't find that one anywhere either...

Just got offered the leaf thing for the first time on the second to last level, so that fucking sucks. Boss keeps jumping and landing on top of me.

bumpkin

Got the game this afternoon and within a few minutes, I had a problem... I CAN'T STOP PLAYING! I'll be surprised if anything but having to charge my 3DS keeps me from finishing it in under a day; and that's only because I prefer to let it charge at rest. The reviews all seem to knock off points on its score because of its lack of "new" or unique features. If you ask me, it doesn't need them. This is pure refined Mario. So good.

bumpkin said:
Got the game this afternoon and within a few minutes, I had a problem... I CAN'T STOP PLAYING! I'll be surprised if anything but having to charge my 3DS keeps me from finishing it in under a day; and that's only because I prefer to let it charge at rest. The reviews all seem to knock off points on its score because of its lack of "new" or unique features. If you ask me, it doesn't need them. This is pure refined Mario. So good.

My 3DS turned red, so I had to stop.
So sad.

bumpkin

Alrus said:
You guys don't play your handhelds while they are charging?
I don't have any outlets within a reasonable distance of anywhere I'd sit down to play my 3DS. Even if I did, I've become weary of the nature of rechargeable batteries and their "memory". I much prefer to only charge them when they're drained entirely and then recharge them fully with the device doing as little as possible.

Alrus said:
You guys don't play your handhelds while they are charging?

I don't normally. I don't like the feeling of being confined to an area just to charge it. I had to charge my 3DS earlier while playing this game, so I went ahead and played with it plugged into the charger but took it off after it had 4 bars.

Nessus

Only played 3 levels so far. My only complaint is that there's no acceleration to Mario's movements. In the 2D games if you held B you didn't immediately start out running at top speed, it took a few seconds to ramp up.

With this if feels more like the 3D Marios, with instantaneous top speed.

Perhaps it's because they didn't feel there are many places you can run for very long in a straight line, I don't know, but it's probably the only thing that keeps it from completely capturing the feel of one of the 2D games. Everything else is spot on.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Just beat World 7. WOW. It is by far my current favorite world. Each level was creative. 7-3, 7-4, and 7-5 were a triple threat of pure awesome. 7-3 looked beautiful, 7-4 had great music, and 7-5 was the hardest level yet. I'm sure World 8 will be tougher, but I don't know if it can surpass World 7 in terms of fun.

Just finished, awesome game, can't wait to see the end-game stuff. The last boss was pretty awesome, I managed to do it as Tiny Mario and it was tense.

Things Mario 3D Land 2 can learn from Mario 3D Land:
1) More powerups
2) More bosses

Pretty flawless games other than those two things. I'll have to think on it a bit before I decide where it fits in with the other games, but it's a damn good game.

Top Bottom