• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
bumpkin said:
I don't have any outlets within a reasonable distance of anywhere I'd sit down to play my 3DS. Even if I did, I've become weary of the nature of rechargeable batteries and their "memory". I much prefer to only charge them when they're drained entirely and then recharge them fully with the device doing as little as possible.
AFAIK, there's no such thing anymore. We who worry about this are from an older generation.

Apparently the only recharge that matters in regards to its memory is the first.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
dr3upmushroom said:
Just finished, awesome game, can't wait to see the end-game stuff. The last boss was pretty awesome, I managed to do it as Tiny Mario and it was tense.

Things Mario 3D Land 2 can learn from Mario 3D Land:
1) More powerups
2) More bosses

Pretty flawless games other than those two things. I'll have to think on it a bit before I decide where it fits in with the other games, but it's a damn good game.

If by 'end game stuff' you mean the end game stuff people have been talking about, I assure you you're far from 'finished'.

EatChildren said:
If by 'end game stuff' you mean the end game stuff people have been talking about, I assure you you're far from 'finished'.
Haha, yeah, I know, I just meant I beat the 8th world.

Time played is at 4:15. That's a little inflated because I kept the game on getting a drink/ using the bathroom/ posting on here (paranoid to close it what with the cracking thing) but it's about 4 hours basically.

If you go to 5-2 and get on top of the bricks there at the very beginning of the level and then jump, Mario goes very far out of the screen towards you, especially with the 3D in the "up" position. Kind of cool looking to show off the 3DS.

So after people played about with this.

What has been the better portable 3d mario. This or mario 64 ds?

They both have similar controls (3d mario with 'run' button). But everything else is pretty different.

Chatin

Between this and any version of Super Mario 64, this wins by a landslide. It took a note from Super Mario Galaxy 2 and only gave you interesting things to do.

Teknoman

chickdigger802 said:

They both have similar controls (3d mario with 'run' button). But everything else is pretty different.

This. The level structure alone makes for perfect playability on the go or stationary.

Also alot of the enemies look close to Super Mario World Dino island style, and thats always a good thing.

I was hoping Mario Galaxy 2 would bring back more Dino Island stuff when we first heard it was in development...so maybe i'm biased lol.

- J - D -

The game is greats, but I wish I needn't hold down a button to run. :/

Either way, this may be the best handheld Mario I've played yet.

zigg

WonkersTHEWatilla said:
The game is greats, but I wish I needn't hold down a button to run. :/

I was kind of pissed at first when there was no B/A option that I could find. But I got used to it. I kind of appreciate the run button now; it's handy to be able to shift gears quickly without mucking with analog distance.

DarkWish

MasterShotgun said:
Near the end, there is a flying ? block. Jump on it and it will take you to the coin.
Thanks! I knew I was missing something easy, I kept hitting that instead of jumping on it.

chickdigger802 said:

This by far in my opinion. 64 seems so dated and small in scope now anyway, but this game is just a bunch of really short but extremely tight and interesting levels. Getting rid of the themed worlds was an awesome decision, every level feels fresh.

Even compared to newer console games I always really like NSMB and this one because of the star coins and other hidden stuff. There's not really anything like the old hidden vines or trails of coins you follow up to secrets, but the star coins and hidden 1UPs at least kind of revisit that idea. They're really fun to look for the first time through, and add a lot of replay value as well. I just played through 1-1 again looking for that stupid second star coin and found three 1UPs I didn't the first time through. True, I don't need them, but it's fun to find every nook and cranny in a level.

Speaking of secrets though, did it bother anyone else that the area you get to by jumping on the big purple note blocks are all more or less identical? They change up a little bit, but it's always just get the invincibility star, run through the same enemies and the same coin patterns, and there's always a star coin at the end. Didn't really detract from the game but it felt uncharacteristically lazy.

- J - D -

zigg said:
I was kind of pissed at first when there was no B/A option that I could find. But I got used to it. I kind of appreciate the run button now; it's handy to be able to shift gears quickly without mucking with analog distance.

Yeah, I'll adjust to it, as I did for SM64 DS way back when. Kinda wished there was an option to use the circle pad set to auto-run and reverse the function of the button to Hold-to-walk. I mean, i assume most players spend the bulk of gameplay running. It'd be relief on my large hands, which cramp quickly.

WonkersTHEWatilla said:
Yeah, I'll adjust to it, as I did for SM64 DS way back when. Kinda wished there was an option to use the circle pad set to auto-run and reverse the function of the button to Hold-to-walk. I mean, i assume most players spend the bulk of gameplay running. It'd be relief on my large hands, which cramp quickly.
Yeah, I agree, it really should have been an option at least. I definitely would have opted for auto-run, press button to walk.

I'm kind of sick with myself just for the though crossing my mind, but it really pisses me off I got offered a helping item in the second to last level. Normally stuff like this doesn't interest me in the slightest, but I was soooo close to getting those shiny stars! I think I'm just going to power through the extra stuff as fast as I can so I make enough progress that I won't tempted to start over.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I'm on the true last level of World 8. It's definitely the toughest level, as it should be. It will probably be the first level I die more than 5 times on.

TyRaNtM

Neo Member
Now that a lot of people are playing this game:
- How long is the game?
- How many unlockables this game has?
- Is this game replayable?

Just beat the 8th world (not including post game content). Had a ton of fun so far and can't wait to dig deeper into post game stuff and going back to get all star coins and flag poles. (Well maybe not the flag poles so much, but it's something).

Game's difficulty definitely increased in the last two worlds. I reset once to make sure that the invincibility leaf didn't show up. Overall, it's been a great experience so far.

Now that a lot of people are playing this game:
- How long is the game?
- How many unlockables this game has?
- Is this game replayable?

-My clock currently shows a little under 5 hours, and that's with some idle time. Would say an average of 4-4.5 hours to beat World 8 with about half coins collected.

-A couple of major content unlockables, and a minor final unlockable (if you're familiar with Mario Galaxy 2, you'll kind of know what to expect, but not exactly)

-Definitely. Between all unlockables/extra content, dragon or star coins or whatever they're calling them, and trying to hit the top of extra flag pole (which is tracked), the game will keep you busy. From podcasts and reviews that I've seen, the average total time to unlock absolutely everything is about 20 hours.

Pachinko

I'm really enjoying this game so far. It's definitely a must buy if you've got a 3DS already. Not sure if it's worth buying a 3DS for though. For that I'd wait and see if mario kart 7 ends up being pretty good. Then go out and buy a 3DS at the end of the year.

So far I'm embarrassed to say that the 5th world boss section killed me enough times that I got a gold leaf, I didn't expect it to be a permanent power up but whatever. Other than that I've had very few deaths and I've got a stock of over 60 lives. I don't mind though, It's got just enough challenge for me to give me a sense of accomplishment but not enough to frustrate me.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Princess Peach is safe once again.

The final Bowser fight was definitely one of the best in recent games.
It's a big chase sequence and even better than the one in NSMBWii. Bowser just did not let up until the very end.

I also did not die more than 5 times. I came close on the last two levels, so it became very tense. And since I managed to get all the Star coins in each world, I'm going straight into the post-game. I'm going to tackle the first world, and then switch back to Skyrim. I really should give this game a break soon.

MasterShotgun said:
Princess Peach is safe once again.

The final Bowser fight was definitely one of the best in recent games.
It's a big chase sequence and even better than the one in NSMBWii. Bowser just did not let up until the very end.
I personally liked the last boss of NSMBW better, but too be fair having a co-op partner made it a very different experience.

It is a really cool boss fight though, the last bit where
Bowser chases you into the screen was pretty obvious given the 3D focus
but it was still really cool. I had to do it as small Mario and yeah, during the second part I was constantly
looking around thinking "Shit, shit, shit, where did he go now!?

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
(Post game spoiler)

AWW YEAH
STATUE TANOOKI SUIT
! AWW YEAH
COSMIC MARIO
! And that just the first two levels. I can already feel the potential challenges ahead of me.

dr3upmushroom said:
I personally liked the last boss of NSMBW better, but too be fair having a co-op partner made it a very different experience.

It is a really cool boss fight though, the last bit where
Bowser chases you into the screen was pretty obvious given the 3D focus
but it was still really cool. I had to do it as small Mario and yeah, during the second part I was constantly
looking around thinking "Shit, shit, shit, where did he go now!?

I was also small Mario during the final part. And since one more death would have put me at five, I got in the zone. I booked it and made some of the quickest maneuvers as Mario ever. I hope
the final fight in the Special World 8 is even better

Teknoman

Looking at the "manual" whats with the change 3D view mode set to the d-pad? Also had no idea about the roll move... Didnt look at the manual since it seemed like a simple foldout.

Teknoman said:
Looking at the "manual" whats with the change 3D view mode set to the d-pad? Also had no idea about the roll move... Didnt look at the manual since it seemed like a simple foldout.

Up changes it to a kind of pop out 3D.
Down sets it to a more windowed mode.

I like the pop out more myself.

MasterShotgun said:
(Post game spoiler)

AWW YEAH
STATUE TANOOKI SUIT
! AWW YEAH
COSMIC MARIO
! And that just the first two levels. I can already feel the potential challenges ahead of me.
Oh good, the
new tanooki suit
is something everyone gets, I noticed it was different and got scared I inadvertently picked up the helper item thing. What's the difference?

Edit: Never mind, I just figured it out.

There's also a poison mushroom in there, pretty cool callback to Lost Levels.

Pyrokai

Speaking of the manual for this game, and most of Nintendo's 3DS games, it seems they've finally sucommed to thin manuals. Nintendo seemed to be the last mainstay for beefy, thick, full color manuals. Not so much just his past year, really. I wonder how Skyward Sword's will be.

Pyrokai said:
Speaking of the manual for this game, and most of Nintendo's 3DS games, it seems they've finally sucommed to thin manuals. Nintendo seemed to be the last mainstay for beefy, thick, full color manuals. Not so much just his past year, really. I wonder how Skyward Sword's will be.

I think Nintendo is going to start moving to the digital manuals now.

Berordn

The game does have a digital manual, so I guess they're moving toward only including getting started guides. It's a loss, but I'll take it over ugly black and white ones.

AceBandage said:
I think Nintendo is going to start moving to the digital manuals now.

Which is probably for the best since their manuals ended up being like 90 pages due to the languages they would pack in there. They'll still be missed though. Absolutely loved going through the art in the Sin and Punishment manual.

JacksUsername said:
Which is probably for the best since their manuals ended up being like 90 pages due to the languages they would pack in there. They'll still be missed though. Absolutely loved going through the art in the Sin and Punishment manual.

They can still do art in digital manuals (and now it'll be in 3D!).

AceBandage said:
They can still do art in digital manuals (and now it'll be in 3D!).

That's true, 3D art would be even better. It would be really awesome if the Wario Ware people got to make some interactive manual whenever a Wario games comes out or find some other twisted (no pun intended) way to mess with the viewer since they obviously loved to have fun with the paper ones.

Zebra

Picked up the game today and have beaten the first 4 worlds. So good.

I have to confess that even though I saw that visual block trick (With the pyramid of blocks) that's used in the commercials like a billion times, when I got to see it in person and switch the 3D on and off, I still said 'Cool!'

EloquentM said:
Lol lots of galaxy assets in this game

Well, sure, it's built on that engine and by much of the same team.

XxCGSxX said:
Wait what happens if I get a golden leaf at least once? I got one after trying to find a golden coin in 2-4 :(

You lose your shinies.
Nothing important, just your save file won't be as pretty.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Just finished
Special World 1
. The post-game is definitely going to be great.
DRY BOWSER!!

I also saw something that scarred my eyes.
When Luigi has a Leaf, he's a kistune. WTF dude.

And with that, I'm done for the night.

XxCGSxX

AceBandage said:
Well, sure, it's built on that engine and by much of the same team.

You lose your shinies.
Oh thats ok I guess, THANKS! This game is sooooo goood btw!

AceBandage said:
You lose your shinies.
So as long as you don't die before beating the initial 8 worlds you get the shiny stars, right? After you have the shiny stars you can't lose them?

dr3upmushroom said:
So as long as you don't die before beating the initial 8 worlds you get the shiny stars, right? After you have the shiny stars you can't lose them?

Not really sure about that, actually...

Roto13

Half way through world 5. Have collected all of the star coins so far. World 4 is where I went from liking the game to loving it. Every level in that world is great.

Top Bottom