• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

I played a friends copy and then went out and bought a 3DS along with this game. I've never gotten too into the other 3D Mario games but this one has really hooked me.

Medalion

Banned
You can plug into the AC adaptor and play while it charges, but it will charge slower that way.

I love the platforming so far in this game, already on World 3-3

Good times

EvilMario said:
I know this is a shocker, but play it while it's charging.
Obviously lol. But what bothers me is that it takes THREE hours for a full charge. Damn. My DS Lite is still sitting in my closet after years of disuse. I fired it up the other day and it's still got a strong charge. What happened with this one?

To the other poster, I've played all my DS systems out of the box without charging.

evilromero said:
Obviously lol. But what bothers me is that it takes THREE hours for a full charge. Damn. My DS Lite is still sitting in my closet after years of disuse. I fired it up the other day and it's still got a strong charge. What happened with this one?

To the other poster, I've played all my DS systems out of the box without charging.

To get the most out of modern batteries they give them a small charge at the factory and then you need to do a full charge to kind of set it.
It's just how they work.

At first I spent about 5 minutes messing with the controls. It's simple... but it feels SO right. The (near) perfect culmination of 2D and 3D Mario controls and it truly is pure FUN mixed with the superb sound effects and design. A satisfying crunch to every smooth tail whip. Pure artistry.

Pyrokai

AceBandage said:
You lose your shinies.
Nothing important, just your save file won't be as pretty.
What?! Oh no! I've had one appear and even USED it because I didn't know what it was. So much for 100% on this play through :(

Struct09

If an Invincibility Leaf showed up, I hit the box to release it, but didn't collect it am I screwed out of the shiny save file?

Teknoman

AceBandage said:
Up changes it to a kind of pop out 3D.
Down sets it to a more windowed mode.

I like the pop out more myself.

Ah, we can only do that during the 3D icon sections right? Probably would like pop out myself.

Struct09 said:
If an Invincibility Leaf showed up, I hit the box to release it, but didn't collect it am I screwed out of the shiny save file?

Pretty sure if the box appears at all you lose it.

Teknoman said:
Ah, we can only do that during the 3D icon sections right? Probably would like pop out myself.

Any time during gameplay, actually.

Neiteio

Hey guys, just beat the main campaign -- the final boss fight was AWESOME. Best in the series, hands down. I love the bit where
Bowser is throwing barrels at you like DK, and where he chases you toward the screen!

Question about the postcards... Which one is #10? The one between
Peach and Mario in the tree
and
Luigi behind bars
?

Beat the game earlier and now halfway through the post game heh. Man this game is just insanly fun.

My stats for when I finished the game according to the 3DS Activity log.

Super Mario 3D Land
Started Sunday November 13th 2011 11:00 AM
Finished Sunday November 13th 2011 5:56 PM
Playtime: 3:59
Times Played: 1
Average Playtime: 3:59 (my highest ever. Wonder how long it'll last.)
Will update the stats in a day or two after I do some post game stuff.

Yea it was pretty easy for me and I beat it fast. But I can tell I'll keep playing it for quite awhile.

And that final boss is awsome. And the power-up with
The Tanooki suit. The REAL Tanooki suitwith the statue was awsome. My jaw dropped didn't expect anymore powerups.

Neiteio

Wait a minute... Am I looking at this right? There are eight new WORLDS after I beat the game? I see an S1 through S8, and within S1 alone there are five levels, a Toad house and a mystery box. O_O

Neiteio said:
Wait a minute... Am I looking at this right? There are eight new WORLDS after I beat the game? I see an S1 through S8, and within S1 alone there are five levels, a Toad house and a mystery box. O_O

You are correct.
8 Special worlds open up.

Neiteio

Socreges said:
That can't be right.

Are they just some kind of twist on the other levels or are they completely original worlds?
According to this full listing of all 96 levels, some of the Special World levels are remixes, but many are brand new. And the ones that are remixed not only look different (I.E. sunset/night instead of day), but they have new enemies, obstacles, items, power-ups (including one suit not available in the main campaign, the
Statue Leaf
) and new conditions like 30-second countdowns where you must collect clocks to extend the time. There are also new villains like
Cosmic Mario
and
Dry Bowser
, and beating the first Special World's castle unlocks
Luigi
, who handles differently. And apparently to see the game's TRUE last level and ending, you must get ALL the star medals across ALL 96 levels, you must hit the top of the flagpole in ALL 96 levels, and you must do all of this with BOTH playable character. (To put that into perspective, there are less than 50 levels in worlds 1 through 8!) O_O

guek

Banned
Neiteio said:
According to this full listing of all 96 levels, some of the Special World levels are remixes, but many are brand new. And the ones that are remixed not only look different (I.E. sunset/night instead of day), but they have new enemies, obstacles, items, power-ups (including one suit not available in the main campaign, the
Statue Leaf
) and new conditions like 30-second countdowns where you must collect clocks to extend the time. There are also new villains like
Cosmic Mario
and
Dry Bowser
Luigi
, who handles differently. And apparently to see the game's TRUE last level and ending, you must get ALL the star medals across ALL 96 levels, you must hit the top of the flagpole in ALL 96 levels, and you must do all of this with BOTH playable character. (To put that into perspective, there are less than 50 levels in worlds 1 through 8!) O_O

oh man. Screw it, youtube it is.

I don't even own the game but I wants it :-(

So what have you guys decided on the normal/extended depth modes?

Think I might stick with normal, as the game pops a bit more, but extended depth makes things a bit easier to play. It almost feels like "widescreen" mode.

Cetra

This game is simply amazing. Totally worth buying a 3DS for. I'm finding myself unable to go to the next level without obtaining all the gold coins in the previous one first. Sooooo good.

Zebra

II CETRA II said:
I'm finding myself unable to go to the next level without obtaining all the gold coins in the previous one first. Sooooo good.

Personally I'm allowing myself to miss some of them if I happen to. This way I will have a good reason to revisit the levels again later.

Neiteio

Nice detail I just noticed: Upon beating the game, the attract reel at the title screen depicts a Mario using advanced skills like somersault rolls, long rumps, sideways flips, tanooki twirl jumps, etc, rather than the usual Mario that gets hit by his own koopa shell.

Aeana

Just did the first world and half of the second. I'm pretty impressed, honestly. It is sorta easy but I love the feel of the game, and I /loved/ the castle at the end of world 1. That was so cool.
The 3D helps me a lot with depth perception too, just as I expected it would.

rj118

Just got to 7-1 and I'm going to call it quits for tonight. There hasn't been a single level I didn't like yet! Great game, and even though I spoiled the end for myself a bit by skimming this thread I can't wait to unlock it for myself. My only gripe is the huge number of lives the game dishes out. I'm already at 120 lives. Maybe I'll need them for the later levels, who knows :p

What is the shiny save exactly? Just a bonus for never having that Super Guide item appear?

pa22word

I use the "windowed" mode. While the pop out mode gives it an added oomph, I feel the windowed mode is better overall for judging depth.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I've played through levels 1-1 through 1-3, and while I love the level design, the controls feel kind of off.

watershed

Banned
I tested between "normal view" (up on dpad) and extra depth (down on dpad). With extra depth I suck at this game, I was missing jumps and over shooting enemies but in normal view I find the 3d actually helps me out with depth and stuff.

Medalion

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
I've played through levels 1-1 through 1-3, and while I love the level design, the controls feel kind of off.
I know what you mean, my two buttons I instinctively use for run and jump are weird with the button setup in this game

gururoji

dr3upmushroom said:
Definitely not, if you didn't tell someone it was 8-way a huge majority of people wouldn't even notice, and I doubt many who did would complain about it. After messing around with it for a bit though I am pretty certain that it is in fact 8-way.

Woah, I messed with it some more...turns out it's at least area dependent, maybe stage dependent! I'm in the middle of 4-5 right now and it's definitely stuck to 8-way, but at the beginning of (I think) 4-1 in that lower field area I could run freely! I actually think this is a brilliant idea on their part.

Neiteio said:
Statue Leaf
Cosmic Mario
and
Dry Bowser
Luigi

That's pretty dumb. I thought it would just be all the coins, or something skill related like in Galaxy 2. That's just a test of patience.

I already have the initial set of coins. Do you get anything for getting all the coins, or is it just a requirement for that inane trial?

Overall, I think the game is pure joy to play. Galaxy spoiled us because all the crazy ideas have been done. So the game doesn't feel as crazy but it's still really good.

I'm not as into it or excited like I was with New Super Mario Bros. for the DS (since it's been years since we got a side-scrolling Super Mario by the time NSMB came out), but it's still a must-have game.

Hope Mario Kart 7 blows past MK games away. Really looking forward to that one.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
And there goes my record of not dying >5 times. The special world is already picking up in World 3. I probably could beat the levels without dying too often, but I'm also going for the Star coins. They are becoming a bitch to obtain. The third one in S3-5 keeps getting me killed.

In world 7 at the moment and will probably stop here for the day. Easy game to play for a few minutes or hours. Love the game, in fact I don't think I've had a section of the game I wouldn't mind replaying (and I missed some Gold Flags and already had to go back to a few levels, didn't mind at all). Its quickly becoming a favorite of mine, maybe even more so than the Galaxy games (which I loved and put a lot of time into, but have problems revisiting).

Smaller levels with a larger focus on pure platforming really shows the similarity to SMB3 (which I just played for the first time earlier this year) outside of cosmetics. Glad to hear that I'm just beginning my way to 100% too.

Pure platforming joy.

Teknoman

Looks like they have the option to check out every game's manual through the 3DS after the update(?).

Could this officially be the end of real manuals?

DeVeAn

Wow, game is awesome. 3D is good but, I just can't handle it so I have to have it on almost off. 1st game to make me happy about owning a 3DS.

Up to World 4. It may be on the easy side, but still a very entertaining game nonetheless. The level design is superb and exactly what we've come to expect from EAD Tokyo.

DeVeAn said:
Wow, game is awesome. 3D is good but, I just can't handle it so I have to have it on almost off. 1st game to make me happy about owning a 3DS.

Try it in extended mode (Press down on the D-Pad in a stage) if you already haven't.

Socreges

Banned
Fantasy Final said:
Up to World 5. Probably the only 3DS game that I don't wanna play without 3D on. It's that good.
The 3D is really fantastic at times. There was a level in World 3 where massive spikes fly out toward you. There was one time that I didn't expect them and it literally made me jump.

Well I just beat world 8, got all the stars I could find, which was 148? Is that the right number? Total play time was 6 hours...jesus, this game was that addictive.

Great final boss and ending. Just the ridiculousness of the story with Bowser going, "Hey, Mario's got that tanooki suit...what if my guys wore them?" makes this game so good.

Now on to...whatever it is I'm supposed to be doing.

Top Bottom