• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

dark10x said:
OK, I think it's clear to me now why the game feels sluggish. If you stand in an area where you can run back and forth freely, you'll notice that the rate at which the screen scrolls is roughly the same while both walking and running. When running, Mario's animation changes, but the speed isn't dramatically increased and the screen doesn't scroll any faster. This was obviously not the case with 2D Mario games and it seems strange here.

Still absolutely loving the game otherwise, but the movement just doesn't feel right.

For me it's because I kept comparing it to Galaxy. Mario's abilities are toned down and less fluid than in the Galaxy games. Eventually it clicked and I got used to the different jumping distance, speed, momentum, and things like that.

Wall jumping is the only thing that still feels off. Luckily there isn't a lot of wall jumping in the game.

marc^o^ said:

The most obvious nod to SMB 3 comes in the form of the oft-employed Tanooki Suit. Sure, you toss your fair share of hammers, boomerangs and fireballs as well, but the plot of Super Mario 3D Land truly hinges on these furry accoutrements.

Another great returning element within Super Mario 3D Land is the world-capping Airship battle. Though they’ve popped up in games since their introduction in Super Mario Bros. 3, the act of fighting a Koopaling within the bowels of such a flying fortress still takes me back to the summer of 1990. It’s important to note, however, that the game alternates between these mini-boss levels and the more traditional castle raids, thus providing a bit more variety to the action.

What the hell, Wired.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Linkzg said:
For me it's because I kept comparing it to Galaxy. Mario's abilities are toned down and less fluid than in the Galaxy games. Eventually it clicked and I got used to the different jumping distance, speed, momentum, and things like that.

Wall jumping is the only thing that still feels off. Luckily there isn't a lot of wall jumping in the game.
I'm not even thinking of Galaxy here. This works more like a classic Mario title with the run button, but the actual speed of Mario doesn't seem to increase much at all. In games such as World or Mario 3, running massively increased your movement speed and the games were most fun when played with the run button held down most of the time. I'm doing the same thing here, but it just never feels particularly fast.

I've only beat the first 4 worlds but it seemed that the airship bosses were boom- boom from Mario 3, then the female one showed up confusing me as to whether it's a dressed up boom-boom or Wendy Koopa.

I was very impressed with the consistent quality of the levels. I don't think I played a single stage that I would mind playing through another time or two (or ten).

This game triggered the same reaction in me as Super Meat Boy. That is, I just want to keep playing and when I'm done I will just replay everything. It's just pure fun.

King_Moc

Banned
Getting a 1up mushroom is kind of meaningless now.

When was the last time it wasn't meaningless? Would you prefer it like the original Super Mario Brothers where you lose all progress and have to start from scratch when you run out? Lives are outdated and should be forgotten imo. They should keep the 1up mushroom as a powerup though.

Roto13

1up mushrooms exist because 1) it's tradition, and 2) they're something to collect. Think about how sparse the levels would be if the only collectibles were a few powerups and three star coins. The fact that every level has a ton of coins and 1ups squirreled away and in hard to reach places keeps things fun, even if they are useless.

Roto13 said:
1up mushrooms exist because 1) it's tradition, and 2) they're something to collect. Think about how sparse the levels would be if the only collectibles were a few powerups and three star coins. The fact that every level has a ton of coins and 1ups squirreled away and in hard to reach places keeps things fun, even if they are useless.

I agree with this... but what if they in turn (in say, Super Mario 3D Land 2 :p) exchange the 1ups all over the levels for something like the Screws in the later Mega Man titles that you can use to purchase things at a shop? I think something like that would enhance the game all around.

I have to say this is the first 3DS game that has given me headaches if I play it too much. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that they really utilize the 3D effect in the game. Most other games you can play without using the 3D and not lose anything. This game uses it well.

Glix

Holy shit!

Special worlds!! With totally remixed stages!! Galaxy levels of content!!!
I'm a very happy man right now.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I went to Best Buy on lunch, picked this up, grabbed some Chick-fil-a, and rushed back to the office. I still had a solid 30 minutes left on my lunch break, but my 3DS was dead. -_- Does anyone else feel like sleep mode drains far too much battery life? Or am I just doing it wrong?

Also, regarding the difficulty, I don't think you play a Mario game because it's kick-you-in-the-nuts difficult. I've always found myself playing them because they are simply some of the most complete and polished experiences you can get your hands on.

Glix

nicoga3000 said:
So I went to Best Buy on lunch, picked this up, grabbed some Chick-fil-a, and rushed back to the office. I still had a solid 30 minutes left on my lunch break, but my 3DS was dead. -_- Does anyone else feel like sleep mode drains far too much battery life? Or am I just doing it wrong?

Also, regarding the difficulty, I don't think you play a Mario game because it's kick-you-in-the-nuts difficult. I've always found myself playing them because they are simply some of the most complete and polished experiences you can get your hands on.

If you leave wi-fi on it drains it like crazy.

Roto13

Tanooki Suit kind of breaks the game. I just did Bowser's Castle in World 8 a second time because I needed it to get the third star coin (I didn't have one my first time through and there isn't one anywhere in the level as far as I can tell) and I just blew through it in like a minute. The boss was even really easy with the Tanooki Suit.

I was going to wait a few weeks to pick this up but the GAF Hype got to me. Can't wait to add this to the pile of games I need to play.

Purchases in the last three weeks:

Super Mario 3D Land
MW3
Uncharted 3
Skyrim
Motorstorm: Apoc (Came with PS3 Display)
Resistance 3 (Came with PS3 Display)
Ultimate MvsC
AssCreed: Rev
Saint's Row 3
Halo: Anniversary

WTF?

Not enough games got bumped to next quarter this year.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
DoctorWho said:
I was going to wait a few weeks to pick this up but the GAF Hype got to me. Can't wait to add this to the pile of games I need to play.

Purchases in the last three weeks:

Super Mario 3D Land
MW3
Uncharted 3
Skyrim
Motorstorm: Apoc (Came with PS3 Display)
Resistance 3 (Came with PS3 Display)
Ultimate MvsC
AssCreed: Rev
Saint's Row 3
Halo: Anniversary

WTF?

Not enough games got bumped to next quarter this year.

I look at this list, and all I see is..

1iQjA.jpg

I wish we could afford that many games. ;_;

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
nicoga3000 said:

Try disabling wi-fi (as noted above). The battery life is still pretty poor regardless, but it's almost unusably bad with wi-fi enabled.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
dark10x said:
Try disabling wi-fi (as noted above). The battery life is still pretty poor regardless, but it's almost unusably bad with wi-fi enabled.

I'll probably do this. I can't believe how bad it is sometimes! Is there any reason to keep it on while in sleep? Does that disable street pass if I'm wandering around with it in my pocket?

Boney said:
well you're canadian

I'm Canadian too. I've done a lot of it on deals and trade-ins. A lot of those games I managed to only pay $39.99.

Super Mario 3D Land - (Bought with Trade-in using EB's Power Trade)
MW3 - $45
Uncharted 3 - $15.00 (Traded this in towards the PS3 Display and then got it back for free)
Skyrim -$45
Motorstorm: Apoc (Came with PS3 Display) - FREE
Resistance 3 (Came with PS3 Display) - FREE
Ultimate MvsC $39.99
AssCreed: Rev - $35.00
Saint's Row 3 - $38.00
FORGOT Battlefield 3 - $45.00
Halo: Anniversary - $39.99

Still expensive as fuck. The Playstation 3D Display I only spent $100 on. I got it mostly on trade-ins from stuff I got during the Blockbuster closing down sale. A lot of it got bumped up to $25 at EB on their hardware trade-in deal.

I might hold off on Halo: Anniversary and wait for a deal. I'm also considering WWE 12 and will be getting Mario Kart 7.

Again, can't wait to play Super Mario 3D Land.

Boogiepop

Jesus, revenge of the
beat block
stage almost got me up to the "five lives lost in a stage," I think. That was pretty awesome, glad to see the concept get reused so well.

Az987

all good things
Stupid Kmart didn't even have it... I hate Kmart.

Best Buy only had 2.. wtf? Are people buying the game like crazy or did Nintendo not ship that many?

Az987 said:

Best Buy only had 2.. wtf? Are people buying the game like crazy or did Nintendo not ship that many?
I think people are buying the game like crazy. I'm sure everyone with a 3DS will buy it.

Az987 said:

I picked mine up at Best Buy yesterday and there were a ton of copies laying around. Then again, I do live in Tennessee.

I hope this game sells really well though, it totally deserves it.

Why would you do that? said:
Personally, I'm having more fun with this game than I did with Galaxy 1 and 2. Maybe even Mario 64... I'm actually really shocked that I'm enjoying the game this much.
Same here, it really caught me by surprise in the most wonderful way.

Very nice to see others enjoying the game.

Up to the middle of World 4 right now. I'm enjoying it a whole lot. The levels are short and sweet, sort of like Mario 3's. In 3-1 I think, I was pretty much able to skip the entire level by using a shortcut. Brought me back to the 2D platformer days.

I have some control problems sometimes, though. But not enough for me to become unhappy or frustrated.

Personally, I'm having more fun with this game than I did with Galaxy 1 and 2. Maybe even Mario 64... I'm actually really shocked that I'm enjoying the game this much.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The_Darkest_Red said:
I picked mine up at Best Buy yesterday and there were a ton of copies laying around. Then again, I do live in Tennessee.

I hope this game sells really well though, it totally deserves it.

My Best Buy had two full racks of the game sitting around, and I live near a major city. :D

Why would you do that? said:
Very nice to see others enjoying the game.

Up to the middle of World 4 right now. I'm enjoying it a whole lot. The levels are short and sweet, sort of like Mario 3's. In 2-1 I think, I was pretty much able to skip the entire level by using a shortcut. Brought me back to the 2D platformer days.

I have some control problems sometimes, though. But not enough for me to become unhappy or frustrated.

Bold words are bold.

DoctorWho said:
Bold words are bold.
I got maybe 20 or 30 stars in Galaxy 2 before losing interest. I picked up 3D Land yesterday and finished all 8 worlds plus a bunch of extra stuff (avoiding minor spoilers). It's good stuff.

Consequently SM3DL is now the king of my activity log with an average play time of over 3 hrs. per session. :)

Sinthetic

nicoga3000 said:

I used to get around 2/3 days if I left the 3DS fully charged in sleep mode, now I barely get 30 hours. That's with wifi on and full brightness etc...

Seems like a fucking disaster to me. Seriously, they need to get the battery life to something like 8-10 hours while gaming and 3 - 5 days on standby.

I usually measure how charming a Mario game is by the volume of his clicky shoes when he's running. Going by this barometer Mario Sunshine had the most charm. But this one comes close. Totally adorable.

Roto13

Just beat world 8. The stars on my save file are white even though I reset without saving the one time I died 5 times in a row. :(

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Sinthetic said:
I used to get around 2/3 days if I left the 3DS fully charged in sleep mode, now I barely get 30 hours. That's with wifi on and full brightness etc...

Seems like a fucking disaster to me. Seriously, they need to get the battery life to something like 8-10 hours while gaming and 3 - 5 days on standby.

Do they sell new batteries (or "super juiced" ones)?

nicoga3000 said:
Do they sell new batteries (or "super juiced" ones)?

The nykon battery I picked up a few months ago is great. Adds a good deal of life. It also adds some much needed bulk to the system without making it too heavy.

Top Bottom