• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
DoctorWho said:
The nykon battery I picked up a few months ago is great. Adds a good deal of life. It also adds some much needed bulk to the system without making it too heavy.

Awesome, thanks. I'll definitely check into this.

nicoga3000 said:
Awesome, thanks. I'll definitely check into this.

It's $19.99 for just the battery and $29.99 for the battery and its own docking station. The 3DS won't fit into the regular docking station with the Nykon battery.

Edit: It's actually Nyko.

nykobattlisting-thumb-640xauto-20742.jpg

lawblob said:
Gonna buy this after work. Any deals on this anywhere?
$15 coupon w/ purchase at Kmart.

Ridley327 said:
The last level of the normal game is pretty much the best thing ever.

Very, very, very satisfied with the game so far.
Oh my goodness, yes. I was absolutely beaming during that last segment.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
DoctorWho said:
It's $19.99 for just the battery and $29.99 for the battery and its own docking station. The 3DS won't fit into the regular docking station with the Nykon battery.

pic

I actually REALLY like the depth it adds in that picture. Is it comfortable or overly bulky?

nicoga3000 said:
I actually REALLY like the depth it adds in that picture. Is it comfortable or overly bulky?

It's very comfortable and I have small hands. I think for someone with big hands it must be a godsend. I find the 3DS base to be a bit too slim for my liking. This adds some much needed depth to it.

qq more

DoctorWho said:

nykobattlisting-thumb-640xauto-20742.jpg
What is the battery life with all settings at max? (5 Level Brightness, Wireless On, 3D at Max, Power Saver Off, etc)

I just realized that those with battery packs are going to be sore outta luck when the extra slide pad attachment is released. So don't lose your battery cover or your original battery if you get a battery expansion.

Why would you do that? said:
I just realized that those with battery packs are going to be sore outta luck when the extra slide pad attachment is released. So don't lose your battery cover or your original battery if you get a battery expansion.

Unless you don't really care about the slide pad...

But you shouldn't lose the battery cover anyway since it's got your serial number on it and you'll need to replace it when sending the system in for any necessary repairs.

nicoga3000 said:

It's nice. But the extra weight stands out a fair bit if you have other portable devices (iphone, kindle, psp, etc).

The nyko charge station is garbage though. Sensor is busted for many (Stops charging before it's full). Not worth it.

nluckett

Soulscribe said:
I usually measure how charming a Mario game is by the volume of his clicky shoes when he's running. Going by this barometer Mario Sunshine had the most charm. But this one comes close. Totally adorable.

Love this. You can do this with Link's footsteps too.

Takao said:
I'm really early (I just got my copy), but the music's kind of disappointing.
There are some awesome tunes later on, but I enjoyed the earlier ones as well (although I think the first one was a bit over-used).

My favorite music is in some of the levels that are half-water half-land because the audio adjusts based on whether or not you're submerged. It's an awesome touch and it sounds great in headphones. I'm guessing other Mario games have done this before but I can't remember for sure.

Yuterald

I just finished the 'normal' game this afternoon. Soooo good. Final level and its music was incredible! Game is easy, but it was such a pleasant experience. I checked out a bit of the post game content and it looks like a lot more fun.

Ridley327

The_Darkest_Red said:
There are some awesome tunes later on, but I enjoyed the earlier ones as well (although I think the first one was a bit over-used).

My favorite music is in some of the levels that are half-water half-land because the audio adjusts based on whether or not you're submerged. It's an awesome touch and it sounds great in headphones. I'm guessing other Mario games have done this before but I can't remember for sure.
I really liked the
the remix of Bowser's theme from SMB3 that they used for world 8.

I'm only through world three, but I'm really enjoying this game. It looks great too!
The_Darkest_Red said:
The Galaxy games did.

Ridley327 said:
I really liked the
the remix of Bowser's theme from SMB3 that they used for world 8.
Oh my goodness yes, that was so amazing! Everything about that stage was just pure gold.

Chet Rippo said:
The Galaxy games did.
Ah, interesting. I need to get back into Galaxy 2 sometime, I enjoyed what I played of it but just didn't keep at it for very long.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Chet Rippo said:
The Galaxy games did.

I looooved it in Galaxy 1. Part of what made Beach Bowl my favorite galaxy. Could just float in the water and listen to the subdued music while watching the sunlight cascade through the water...

Yuterald

My favorite tracks are the
ghost house levels, any desert theme stage, the water/beach levels, and of course, Bowser castle/airships themes.
Not as good as Galaxy's 1 & 2 OST, but there are still some nuggets here. I think the
ghost house music
is my favorite still, but that's reused from Mario Galaxy, isn't it?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah, I'd really like to play through the Galaxy games. I always lost interest for other games, and because the comet stars and stuff like that REALLY confused me.

Also, I think I may look into that battery thing. The side pad will hinder it, yeah, but until then, I play on max 3D (because why the hell not?) and typically max brightness with wifi. I can always turn wifi down for now, but I go all 3D or bust.

Sinthetic

Yeah, the Nyko Power + thing won't work for me in the long run, I'm going to be getting RE: Revelations with the Slide Pad and I don't fancy working around cause I'm too lazy. I just bought a second 3DS standard battery so I can have it how it was when I first had it.

Still shit though.

Sinthetic said:
Yeah, the Nyko Power + thing won't work for me in the long run, I'm going to be getting RE: Revelations with the Slide Pad and I don't fancy working around cause I'm too lazy. I just bought a second 3DS standard battery so I can have it how it was when I first had it.

Still shit though.

I puke in my mouth a little whenever I think of the slide pad.

I hate that thing and what it represents.

LastWindow said:
Do you know if the 3DS will fit in any case with it attached? Sorry to derail the topic a bit but I'm very interested in this.

I don't own a case but I guess it all depends. It's not a huge add-on, just adding a bit extra to the base of the unit, so I would imagine that it should fit in most cases.

Again, something to google.

Sinthetic

DoctorWho said:
I puke in my mouth a little whenever I think of the slide pad.

I hate that thing and what it represents.

It's pretty stupid I must admit, but I have a big feeling games like RE will be worse off without it. ;\

Sinthetic said:
It's pretty stupid I must admit, but I have a big feeling games like RE will be worse off without it. ;\

I dunno, I felt Mercenaries played perfectly fine. In fact it played pretty much just how I remember RE4 on the Gamecube playing.

Synless

dark10x said:
Wayyyy too easy. I've collected a ridiculous number of lives without even trying. Getting a 1up mushroom is kind of meaningless now.
Didn't people complain about this in Sonic 4?

Teknoman

Synless said:
Didn't people complain about this in Sonic 4?

Its like that in almost every platformer these days...except Donkey Kong Country Returns and some other indie creations.

EDIT: Do you unlock something for getting yellow flags on all stages?

Roto13

People won't be satisfied unless they finish the game with the same number of lives they start with.

Trying to find the second star coin in S2-2. Having some trouble. :p This is the first one in a while that has eluded me.

ghibli99

Estimated delivery date: November 21, 2011 - November 28, 2011

You suck, Amazon... or rather, I suck for not having Prime. Hopefully it ships soon and gets revised.

AniHawk

so i have 154 lives and i'm on sw2 now. the game didn't start giving me troubles until 8-6, and only then because i was going for all the coins.

it's not a bad game, and i certainly like it more than nsmb ds, but holy hell is it ever easy. i'm liking the special world stuff and playing as luigi. i also love the way the game acts as a missing link between the 2d series and super mario 64. it definitely has its own identity.

Busaiku

So just got through World 1 (getting all the Star Coins).
I dunno, the 3D isn't doing much for me.

All the stuff that it's meant to help with (like the cloud traversing) is kind of difficult to get through for me.

Boogiepop

Wow, just finished sW7, and it is getting intense. I mean,
Giant Cosmic Mario is both amazing and incredibly frightening
Also, did it take anyone else a REALLY long time to notice the "best time" that comes up if you clear a level in one shot?

Ghost23

I'm sure this has been asked multiple times already, but is the
second 8 worlds just the same levels with more difficult obstacles, or are they totally different levels?

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
ghibli99 said:
Estimated delivery date: November 21, 2011 - November 28, 2011

You suck, Amazon... or rather, I suck for not having Prime. Hopefully it ships soon and gets revised.

Same. Just sitting here, staring at the walls.

I'm going to get drunk soon. That will fix everything.

Ridley327

Roto13 said:
People won't be satisfied unless they finish the game with the same number of lives they start with.

Trying to find the second star coin in S2-2. Having some trouble. :p This is the first one in a while that has eluded me.
That's the one with the
rail platforms, right? You may want to check out that first waterspout.

Grisby

Bought it. My 3DS has been starved for something good and I think this'll be a nice counter to Skyrim.

First Mario game since Galaxy 1.

Ghost23

FuzzyNorman said:
I'm sure this has been asked multiple times already, but is the
second 8 worlds just the same levels with more difficult obstacles, or are they totally different levels?

Quoting for new page.

Roto13

Ridley327 said:
That's the one with the
rail platforms, right? You may want to check out that first waterspout.
That's 2-3, but I actually meant 2-3 and just made a mistake, so thank you. xP

Top Bottom