• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Ridley327

Roto13 said:
That's 2-3, but I actually meant 2-3 and just made a mistake, so thank you. xP
Don't worry, I had the same problem until I realized that there was a reason for
that particular rail to not end with a drop-off.

AniHawk

wait, so to totally beat the game i have to:

-collect all coins (easy)
-touch top of all flagpoles (easy)
-and beat all 16 worlds as mario and luig? BULLSHIT. they don't make you touch the top of each flagpole to count this, do they?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
AniHawk said:

-and beat all 16 worlds as mario and luig? BULLSHIT. they don't make you touch the top of each flagpole to count this, do they?
No

you just have to touch the top with one character and beat every level with both

Neiteio

AniHawk said:

For that last question, no, you just touch anywhere on the pole, but with both of them...

Also, everyone should know the female Boom Boom is apparently named Pom Pom, according to the Mario Wiki. I'm guessing they got their name from a strategy guide or Nintendo PR.

The fight against
Boom Boom AND Pom Pom
in the World 7 airship was AWESOME.

AniHawk

EloquentM said:
No

you just have to touch the top with one character and beat every level with both

still bullshit, but thanks.
it'll be easy since i'm doing sw as luigi first and i can just switch off later.

Sinthetic

Roto13 said:
I think I'm going to have to learn to move on without collecting every star coin first. :p

Why?

That's the only way I can play games like this and Kirby Mass Attack, I don't move on until I've perfected a level and rung out every little secret/every coin in it.

Roto13

Sinthetic said:
Why?

That's the only way I can play games like this and Kirby Mass Attack, I don't move on until I've perfected a level and rung out every little secret/every coin in it.
Because a couple of postgame levels have had coins that have taken more time than I want to spend looking for them. :p

Finished first run, on to second. Great final scenario/boss.

Had some more difficult sections in the later levels but only 2-3 that were really challenging, I don't really hold the easier difficulty in the early levels against it though as they are still a blast to play. Easy is only a problem when the gameplay feels completely peril-free but the levels here are lively and engaging, with plenty active/threatening obstacles like break-away/moving platforms and pits. Not may powerups in the game
, what maybe 3? (Boomerang, Tanooki, Copter)
, but they fit in very nicely.

This may very well be my GOTY.
Anything like the Purple Coin Challenges in the second playthrough? Remixed levels/New levels sounds good, if I get another 8 worlds of that without any time challenge mini-levels I'll be very happy.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Am I the only one shaking the 3DS with regular Mario to do a spin in mid-air? Lol

2-4 is actually kinda hard :0

Roto13

MvmntInGrn said:
Finished first run, on to second. Great final scenario/boss.

Had some more difficult sections in the later levels but only 2-3 that were really challenging, I don't really hold the easier difficulty in the early levels against it though as they are still a blast to play. Easy is only a problem when the gameplay feels completely peril-free but the levels here are lively and engaging, with plenty active/threatening obstacles like break-away/moving platforms and pits. Not may powerups in the game
, what maybe 3? (Boomerang, Tanooki, Copter)
, but they fit in very nicely.

This may very well be my GOTY.
Anything like the Purple Coin Challenges in the second playthrough? Remixed levels/New levels sounds good, if I get another 8 worlds of that without any time challenge mini-levels I'll be very happy.
Power ups:
Boomerang, Fire Flower, Tanooki Suit, Copterblock or whatever it's called, Stone Tanooki, Invincible Tanooki, P-Wing Tanooki, Coin Block, and I guess the Invincibilty Star and regular Mushroom. :p Oh, and the Poison Mushroom for a powerdown!

Pyrokai

Skiesofwonder said:
Am I the only one shaking the 3DS with regular Mario to do a spin in mid-air? Lol

Thank god I'm not the only one! I did this quite a few time, embarrassing as it is :p

Tyeforce

Skiesofwonder said:

I sometimes shake my 3DS trying to use the Propeller Block, lol. It feels so weird just using a button after it was all shake activated in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Shaking just feels so much more satisfying than pressing a button. =p

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
WOW @
S6-1
. It is definitely one of the most freeform levels in the entire game. There are a lot of ways to get to the goal, and the Star Coins take some effort in locating. It wasn't hard by any means, but I wish there were more levels like it.

Yes, after playing New SMB Wii, I shook my DS when playing regular New SMB. Now I'm trying soooo hard not to shake my 3DS with the Propeller Blocks.

It sort of goes to show you that the shaking action can be very natural.

(It also happened when I played Kirby Wii and shook my controller during sucking, then playing as Kirby in Smash Bros. Brawl.)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Woah - played the first 3 levels, and I have got to say, this game is an absolute pleasure. I am seriously looking forward to playing this more.

I replayed Mario Galaxy 2 and then Donkey Kong Country Returns and when playing the latter, I initially would shake the remote to get a safety higher jump only to be rudely reminded at how differently the games contROLL.

As far as this game is concerned, I am on getting the Star Medals I missed in some earlier levels and I did a few Special levels and I wish the game wouldn't end but I can see myself coming back to this even after I get everything.

The style of the game is Mario but it has its own vibe and it just seems a near-perfect portable gaming experience.

Poyunch

J72hU.jpg

Got my first Street Pass for 3D land today. How does that work? Was I supposed to create a box challenge for others?

If I miss a star coin in one of those question mark box levels is there a way to get it back without street pass? Do you have to get those star coins to get 100%, or are there alternate methods? The game doesn't communicate these things very clearly. I got distracted by a phone call in the middle of doing one of those levels and missed the coin. Now I can't figure out how to replay it. Not cool Nintendo, not cool.

Pyrokai

Yeah, I don't really get how the StreetPass for this game works. I got a StreetPass from my sister for 3D Land but...uh....she doesn't have the game. What's up with that?

Where is the third coin in
Special World 1-3
, I'm just farming lives at this point.

Also, the text on my computer has been looking occasionally 3D after I started playing this game...
EDIT: Never mind, my trajectory is bad.

Roto13

Pyrokai said:
Yeah, I don't really get how the StreetPass for this game works. I got a StreetPass from my sister for 3D Land but...uh....she doesn't have the game. What's up with that?
I guess if she played your copy of the game in her 3DS, she could set up streetpass for it?

Pyrokai

She didn't, though. It just had a picture of her Mii next to the box like in the picture a few posts above.

And are the boxes just a timed thing you share to see if you can outdo each other?

Roto13

I'm not really sure how it works. The game makes it sound like you send challenge boxes you've cleared to people you meet on the street. There's not really much you could do to compete, since they're small and end at 10 seconds anyway.

Skiesofwonder said:

You know, you can use X to run and Y to attack, or vice-versa. On Super Mario World, I'd always use X to run, Y to attack, and B to jump. I used the exact same buttons in this game.

zigg

I thought it picked up StreetPass Mii Plaza data for Challenge Boxes and exchanged clear times with people who actually have Mario.

And it fucked me up a little to not be able to use B and A when I started playing this morning.

Pyrokai

Cheesemeister said:
You know, you can use X to run and Y to attack, or vice-versa. On Super Mario World, I'd always use X to run, Y to attack, and B to jump. I used the exact same buttons in this game.

Say what? Am I wrong here, but wasn't Super Mario World's button set up like this:

Y and X-- Run/Hold item
B--Jump
A-Spin Jump

Either way, both 3D Land and World allow you to use Y to run and B to jump. The button that's different is A, which in SMW was spin jump, and in 3D Land it is just a second Jump button.

Pyrokai said:
Say what? Am I wrong here, but wasn't Super Mario World's button set up like this:

Y and X-- Run/Hold item
B--Jump
A-Spin Jump

Either way, both 3D Land and World allow you to use Y to run and B to jump. The button that's different is A, which in SMW was spin jump, and in 3D Land it is just a second Jump button.

Yeah, that's what I said.

Busaiku

The one thing I don't like thus far is how some Star Coins require a certain powerup (thus far it's just been the Tanooki Suit).
I liked that in New Super Mario Bros Wii, all the Star Coins were obtainable without any powerup (but of course they were much easier with them).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm only on World 3-1 so far but the one thing I'm really amazed by is how Nintendo made this feel totally unlike any other previous Mario game. It's quite amazing.

Still finding the game incredibly easy but reading impressions on here it appears that will change.

Finally got the game today and got through world 1 and a few levels in world 2. My initial impressions are that I DON'T like the circle pad on the 3DS. This is my first time to really play the system and so far I can't stand the thing. It feels strange and awkward. On top of that I don't like how Mario controls because of that. It's not very accurate and I feel that sometimes he's not moving in the direction I want him to.

The game is pretty but man it doesn't conjure a lot of imagination. Just seems like what a fan remix of Mario 3 would be. Not bad of course. But not holding my attention very well either. I felt kind of like I was just playing to see if it got any better but ultimate got kind of bored and just put it down (also didn't like fussing with the 3D slider not knowing if it was at an optimal setting).

Pyrokai

Cheesemeister said:
Yeah, that's what I said.

I guess I'm just dumb. I don't know what the distinction is between Y for run and X for attack when I thought they just allowed for running/holding an item. Unless you mean for fireballs or something. Yeah, that's probably what you meant. I'm stupid.

If so, let me just say: Wow. I don't know how you do it! When I play a Mario game with a run button, I have to make sure it's directly to the left (or diagonally up and to the left) of the button I'm using to jump. I could never use X to run and B to jump. It would have to be Yrun/Bjump or Xrun/Bjump. So if I used X to run in SMW, I could only use A to jump (which, in SMW's case, would be the spin-attack-jump). Just the way I wired my brain for Mario platformers.

KarmaCow

Just beat the normal game and I have some questions about the stars on the save file.

1) Getting through the main game without seeing the white tanooki leaf was pretty easy, but what is the trigger to remove the sparkling effect? Is it not seeing the leaf or is it noy dying more than 5 times per level? If it's the former, does that mean I could potentially die more than 5 times in the special worlds and still keep the sparkling effect?

2) I remember something about rainbow stars. Was that just supposed to be the sparkling effect or is there a even more strict condition for it?

It's probably not worth asking at this point as nobody really knows. Lots of people saying they did nothing wrong and don't have shiny stars, but others say they have shiny stars so it's definitely something that happens. Who knows.

watershed

Banned
This game has got me hooked in a way even the galaxy games didn't. I find myself going back to get all the star coins and I've never been a loot collecting kind of gamer. I think it has to do with being a portable game, the shorter levels, how easy it is to jump into a level and play without having to navigate any kind of hub world, and just how fun all the levels are. I've replayed a few just because they're so fun.

Roto13

UncleSporky said:
It's probably not worth asking at this point as nobody really knows. Lots of people saying they did nothing wrong and don't have shiny stars, but others say they have shiny stars so it's definitely something that happens. Who knows.
I thought the stars were supposed to be colourful or something. Mine sparkle. :p I got the white leaf once but I quit without saving.

Roto13

Ok, the third coin in
S4-3 makes no sense to me. :p It's hovering under a bridge and the two sides are too far away to wall jump from. How am I supposed to collect that and not die? :p

Top Bottom