• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Mandoric

Banned
About the only complaint other than 3d headaches I have is some really weird level order choices.
There's a desert world, so why is the first 'sand and arabian music' level the first level in the world after? Why is the pyramid a couple worlds later?

Kai

My god this game is so amazing and just pure fun. Just finished world 6-3 - unbelievable level and is an obvious indication that this is an EAD Tokyo game.... Something about playing this at night (the textures look great and smooth and the 3D pops with all the crazy colors and bright aesthetics) with headphones - looks gorgeous and sounds great.

So far all levels with all 3 coins and all flagpoles.... Can't wait for what awaits next....

Just got to world 8, but I think I'll have to leave the rest until tomorrow.

I never had to go back and get more coins to open anything. I just tried to get any I saw and that was good enough.

I'll definitely try and get everything before next Sunday. I know I'll be too hooked on Zelda to play anything else.

john tv

Neiteio said:
According to this full listing of all 96 levels, some of the Special World levels are remixes, but many are brand new. And the ones that are remixed not only look different (I.E. sunset/night instead of day), but they have new enemies, obstacles, items, power-ups (including one suit not available in the main campaign, the
Statue Leaf
) and new conditions like 30-second countdowns where you must collect clocks to extend the time. There are also new villains like
Cosmic Mario
and
Dry Bowser
, and beating the first Special World's castle unlocks
Luigi
, who handles differently. And apparently to see the game's TRUE last level and ending, you must get ALL the star medals across ALL 96 levels, you must hit the top of the flagpole in ALL 96 levels, and you must do all of this with BOTH playable character. (To put that into perspective, there are less than 50 levels in worlds 1 through 8!) O_O
Not quite - you don't have to
get the gold flag with both of them - you only have to get the gold flag once. But you still have to touch the flag with both of them regardless

I still can't get over the novelty of me playing a full-fledged 3D Mario game on a handheld. Sure, Super Mario 64 DS, but this is brand new and made from the ground up! So cool!

Also, 3-3 has the most random theme yet. o_O

Man, stuff about this game...

It feels like the devs, invoked the mentality of kids with programing and design skills, and were goofing around with 3D. The game just feels.... like well crafted playdough.

Such a contrast to MW3 which I was playing earlier today... Saw AI stuck in geometry, taking cover behind air...

If the day comes where Japanese games 'dies', it would be a sad day indeed.

linko9

WOO! Just finished worlds 1 through 8. Amazing game so far
and after playing a couple of the special levels, it looks to be getting even better!
. This game exceeded my expectations in every way. For whatever reason, I expected this game to be more like the NSMB games than the Galaxy games, and I didn't much like the NSMB games. Luckily, it turned out I was wrong. It's not really like either of them. There are plenty of things that remind me of galaxy, but overall, it feels like a very new experience. Lots of cool levels, and never a dull moment. I do have two complaints, both of which I anticipated. One is the run button. You get used to it, but it really cramps your hands up. It should have been a walk button, or you know, treat the analog slider pad like its analog... Second is that it's real easy... I had 132 lives after beating world 8, and I don't consider myself to be especially good at games. But it's harder than NSMB I guess, and at about the same difficulty level as Galaxy, so no big deal
hopefully the difficulty ramps up on these special stages; I imagine it will.

Mandoric said:
About the only complaint other than 3d headaches I have is some really weird level order choices.
There's a desert world, so why is the first 'sand and arabian music' level the first level in the world after? Why is the pyramid a couple worlds later?
Actually there aren't any themed worlds, every level is just its own level, with any style they felt like using.

bryehn

Well, colour me surprised, played through world 1 last night and was really impressed with what I saw. The 3D is the best I've seen on the system yet and there's tons of little graphical flourishes that make the game look great overall. Control seems spot on, though the levels are a bit small so far. Really like the SMB3/SM64 feel of it all.

Wow... this game is incredible.

I picked it up yesterday and finished the main game five hours later. Putting this game down was incredibly challenging. The game itself was pretty easy, I finished with 85 lives or so, but it was challenging enough to keep me interested. I'm just amazed at how well the game plays, it's like a mix of everything I love about classic 2D Mario games and the newer iterations like the Galaxy series.

Overall I have to say that this game far outweighed my expectations. I wasn't even completely set on buying it as I wasn't sure how well it would play but all of my concerns were quickly laid to rest, this game is a winner.

Bring on Super Mario 3D Land 2.

AceBandage said:
To get the most out of modern batteries they give them a small charge at the factory and then you need to do a full charge to kind of set it.
It's just how they work.

i was pretty sure this is a common misconception. anyone knows the details?

Celine

Diprosalic said:
i was pretty sure this is a common misconception. anyone knows the details?
One of the worst things you can do to a Li-ion battery is to run it out completely all the time. Full discharges put a lot of strain on the battery, and it's much better practice to do shallow discharges to no lower than 20 percent. In a way, this is like people running for exercise— running a few miles a day is fine, but running a marathon every day is generally not sustainable. If your Li-ion powered device is running out of juice on a daily basis, you're decreasing its overall useful lifespan, and should probably work some charging stations into your day or change your devices' settings so that it's not churning through its battery so quickly.

There used to be certain types of batteries whose "memory" of their total charge capacity seemed to get confused by shallow discharges. This is not, and never was, the case with Li-ion batteries. However, if you are using something like a notebook computer that gives you time estimates of how much longer the battery will last, this clock can be confused by shallow charging intervals. Most manufacturers recommend that you do a full discharge of the battery about once a month to help your device calibrate the time gauge.

One common misconception is that Li-ion batteries will only count charge cycles if the battery is drained completely in one session; another is that the battery counts one charge cycle for every instance the device is unplugged and plugged in again. Neither of these is true—Li-ion batteries actually count charge cycles based on a 100 percent discharge even when it's summed over multiple sessions. For example, if you discharge a battery to 50 percent one day, charge it back to 100 percent, then discharge it 50 percent again the next day, that is counted as one "cycle" of the battery. So shallow discharges, in all these regards, are ideal for a Li-ion battery.

On the other end of the spectrum, keeping a Li-ion battery fully charged is not good for it either. This isn't because Li-ion batteries can get "overcharged" (something that people used to worry about in The Olden Days of portable computers), but a Li-ion battery that doesn't get used will suffer from capacity loss, meaning that it won't be able to hold as much charge and power your gadgets for as long. Extremely shallow discharges of only a couple percent are also not enough to keep a Li-ion battery in practice, so if you're going to pull the plug, let the battery run down for a little bit.
Piccolo chalet.

jokkir

I just "beat" the game.

Last boss was awesome and I didn't really find the difficulty to be that easy. I died quite a few times >__>. 50 to be exact.

jarosh

any swiss people in here? once again switzerland has broken the european street date and a handful of online retailers are shipping the game, among them internet.ch which i can personally recommend.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
jarosh said:
any swiss people in here? once again switzerland has broken the european street date and a handful of online retailers are shipping the game, among them internet.ch which i can personally recommend.

Mine shipped last thursday and got it friday. From www.wog.ch .

Roto13

AceBandage said:
Something I noticed about the update. It doubled the number of channels you can have.
Awesome.
:D
Did it actually raise the already-big cap or did you just download something? :p Once you have a certain number of things on your menu, it doubles in size anyway.

AceBanned-AGE

The Hermit

All this hype is taking me by surprise, cant wait to buy it.

off-topic: Jarosh are you enjoying Skyward Sword? I am not going into the SS threads anymore cause I am afraid of being spoiled. (I kinda know what will happen
to Skyloft :/
)

jarosh

Kandrick said:
Mine shipped last thursday and got it friday. From www.wog.ch .
cool. they kept changing the release date on their site, so i wasn't sure if they really had it in stock. but now it looks like they do.

edit: baiano19: i've posted TONS of completely spoiler-free impressions in the official thread and the reviews thread. i'm enjoying the game, but i have a feeling that i'll still prefer tp over ss once all is said and done. game is far from perfect.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, I think it's clear to me now why the game feels sluggish. If you stand in an area where you can run back and forth freely, you'll notice that the rate at which the screen scrolls is roughly the same while both walking and running. When running, Mario's animation changes, but the speed isn't dramatically increased and the screen doesn't scroll any faster. This was obviously not the case with 2D Mario games and it seems strange here.

Still absolutely loving the game otherwise, but the movement just doesn't feel right.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Picking this up on lunch today. Between this and Skyrim, I think I'll be complete. I'm REALLY excited about what this one will offer, and the positive reception has me smiling.

nicoga3000 said:
Picking this up on lunch today. Between this and Skyrim, I think I'll be complete. I'm REALLY excited about what this one will offer, and the positive reception has me smiling.
It is just... so freakin' good. I couldn't put the game down, and this is coming from someone who only managed 20 or 30 stars in Galaxy 2.

Random aside: I beat Uncharted 3 yesterday as well, and guess which one I had more fun with? ;)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Javier said:
By the way, does this game penalize you from getting Super Guide to appear like NSMBWii did?

Apparently even activating it (without touching the power-up) by dying five times in one stage will knock a star off your file.

EvilMario said:
Apparently even activating it (without touching the power-up) by dying five times in one stage will knock a star off your file.
Do you lose the star if you die 5 times in one stage at any point, or is it only if you die 5 times in a row without beating the stage like in NSMBWii?

Love this game. The levels are very "handheld ready" in terms of length, and it really feels like a Mario game I can take a few bits at a time. Discovery is still there but really downplayed. It's like some sort of SMB3/64 hybrid, and easily my favorite since 'World.

Murrah

Banned
Quick question regarding post game stuff:
I see people saying to unlock the last thingamajig you have to beat every level (star coins too?) with both bros. I unlocked Luigi last night and played through a couple levels, but I don't see any indication that the game's keeping track of things I've done with him, though it did save at the end of each level. Am I just not seeing some extra symbol or something on the world map screen or what

dark10x

Crazymoogle said:
Love this game. The levels are very "handheld ready" in terms of length, and it really feels like a Mario game I can take a few bits at a time. Discovery is still there but really downplayed. It's like some sort of SMB3/64 hybrid, and easily my favorite since 'World.
Yeah, I'm really digging the level design. It has that deceptively simple yet complex feel without ever dragging on too long. The stage length is very reminiscent of the older Mario titles and it rewards skilled play in the same fashion.

jokkir

Whoa. You can carry more than 99 lives. 110 and counting so far.

Also, is it just me or are 1-ups extremely easy to get in this game?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
jokkir said:

They've been pretty easy to come by in every Mario game for the last decade.

RPG_Fanatic said:
I doesn't knock off a star, the stars just don't sparkle.

Thanks for clarifying, I didn't know the specifics.

The only thing that's bugging me so far is Mario's lack of an edge grab. I guess they're trying to make it more like the classic series in that respect so I can't entirely knock 'em for it.

Tadale

Galaxy might be my favorite game of all time, but I was expecting to not like this game as much thanks to the limited scope of the levels.

But it's been the exact opposite, really. The mesh between 2D Mario levels and 3D Mario gameplay is a lot of fun.

dark10x

jokkir said:

Wayyyy too easy. I've collected a ridiculous number of lives without even trying. Getting a 1up mushroom is kind of meaningless now.

jokkir

Urban Scholar said:
Last star coin in 2-2? I'm stumped

Once you're out of the pipe at the ending flag area, head immediately to your left. You should see breakable blocks. It's in there

Hopefully that's the level im thinking about >__>

Sinthetic

I'm certainly in the top bracket level of 3D Mario players, so this'll probably be a cake walk for me. Still can't wait to get hands on with it.

Top Bottom