• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

DryvBy

I dunno if this has been touched on, but is anyone almost done with the game after a couple of hours? Kinda depressing how short this game seems. I'm almost at W-8 and I've played for a total of 2 hours... and have at least half of the Coins through W-4...

Berordn

DryvBy2 said:
I dunno if this has been touched on, but is anyone almost done with the game after a couple of hours? Kinda depressing how short this game seems. I'm almost at W-8 and I've played for a total of 2 hours... and have at least half of the Coins through W-4...
You're barely halfway through the content. The "story" is short, but there's still loads more waiting.

Roto13

DryvBy2 said:
You're less than half way through the game.

DryvBy

Berordn said:
You're barely halfway through the content. The "story" is short, but there's still loads more waiting.

Okay, that's good. I actually got through the first three worlds in about an hour. I was just hoping it was nothing like New Super Mario Bros. Wii. After I beat it, I had 0 reason to go play it again since I have no RL friends where I live.

pa22word

*post game spoilers*

Holy shit S7-4 is like running into a goddamned brick wall. Giant Dark Mario is a huge pain in the ass due to it making it nearly impossible to go backwards at all, flip-switches, AND the camera giving you the middle finger mid level with the spinning spikes? Yeeesh...harder than the perfect run IMO >_>

Busaiku

DryvBy2 said:
Okay, that's good. I actually got through the first three worlds in about an hour. I was just hoping it was nothing like New Super Mario Bros. Wii. After I beat it, I had 0 reason to go play it again since I have no RL friends where I live.
You didn't get to World 9 in New Super Mario Bros Wii?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Beat the first two worlds. WOW. What an impressive game. Graphics are insane, control is perfect, and I really like how the 3D slider can stay all the way up (2nd game in a row like that for me, starting with Pokemon Rumble Blast).

Pyrokai

So let me get this straight (gonna spoil tag it just in case):

To 100% the game, I must:

-Get all coins
-Yellow flag each yellow
-Do this with both Mario and Luigi

But how do I know which ones were finished with Mario or Luigi?

Effect

Finally go my copy today. Still playing through world 1 but really enjoying it so far. Game looks great graphically. Going to be taking it slow though. Perhaps a few levels or a world a night. In no rush to get through the game quickly.

backlot

Roto13 said:
Ok, the third coin in
S4-3 makes no sense to me. :p It's hovering under a bridge and the two sides are too far away to wall jump from. How am I supposed to collect that and not die? :p
If I'm remembering the right level
use the boomerang.

Neiteio

Where's the first star medal in the level in Special World 4 that's set on an island, the one with the bullet bills and banzai bills?

pa22word

Busaiku said:
How do I tell if I got a Yellow Flag without going to the end of the level?

There should be a little gold flag in the bottom right hand corner on the map when highlighting that specific level if you've gold flag'd it.

Roto13

backlot said:
If I'm remembering the right level
use the boomerang.
Right, thanks. I forgot the boomerang can pick up coins.

Neiteio said:
Where's the first star medal in the level in Special World 4 that's set on an island, the one with the bullet bills and banzai bills?
Behind the waterfall.

Neiteio

Cheesemeister said:
There are (M) and (L) icons next to the gold flags in the bottom-right corner of the upper screen.
Wow, I never noticed that (the gold flag, I mean). I'm halfway through Special World 4 but checked every level up to this point and I will need to go back and get gold flags in about 30 levels. Fine by me -- more excuses to replay them. :)

Man, just did S4-4, the one where you
stomp Goombas for time
, and the bit where you
drop 10,000 feet down to stomp one Goomba
was laugh-out-loud awesome. :)

These special world levels are incredible.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Does anyone know where the 3rd star coin is on level 2-2? After I get the one where you have to light the lantern and jump into a hidden alcove I can't find another one to the finish. I hit the green flip switch and follow the path trying to find any clue and nothing. Died maybe 12 times trying to find it.

KarmaCow

Shaheed79 said:
Does anyone know where the 3rd star coin is on level 2-2? After I get the one where you have to light the lantern and jump into a hidden alcove I can't find another one to the finish. I hit the green flip switch and follow the path trying to find any clue and nothing. Died maybe 12 times trying to find it.

It's in the last area with the flag pole. Look at the walls.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So far I am liking this game a whole hell of a lot more than both Galaxy games. Very surprising how much I am enjoying this game and these levels.

Neiteio

I foresee myself replaying the World S4 airship a lot... IT'S SO FUN!
It's the one at sunset, where the screen DOESN'T auto-scroll, and where you square off against scores of Hammer and Boomerang Bros. You get the Boomerang Suit a short ways in, and at the end you face Boom Boom in a spike floor room, and then you take a warp pipe outside where you fight Pom Pom on falling floors.
So freaking fun. And it feels incredibly badass boomeranging two Boomerang Bros. in short succession and seeing them fly back and explode into coins.

I've been playing Nintendo games all my gamer life and I have to say this is just about the most perfect game Nintendo has ever made. It is just continuous nonstop fun and happiness. I've never quite seen any game have quite this effect on me, to be honest. My GOTY so far, over Arkham City, Deus Ex and Uncharted 3/Catherine, in that order.

Pyrokai

Cheesemeister said:
There are (M) and (L) icons next to the gold flags in the bottom-right corner of the upper screen.

I'm....not seeing this. To make sure,
I just beat the very first level both times through with Mario and Luigi, and I still only see a gold flag on the menu screen. No M or L. Something I'm doing wrong here?

Neiteio

Shaheed79 said:
How do you not get a Yellow flag on a stage? That's all I have so far.
If you don't hit the top of the flagpole, you don't get a yellow flag.

So that just means you've been playing like a boss. :)

Pyrokai said:
I'm....not seeing this. To make sure,
I just beat the very first level both times through with Mario and Luigi, and I still only see a gold flag on the menu screen. No M or L. Something I'm doing wrong here?

I think you have to clear Bowser's Castle in World 8 with Luigi before the icons start showing up.

This game is awesome, I'm a fan.

I'm not sure what are considered spoilers around here at this moment but........really dug that last level.

This game is the definition of programming perfection. Pick a design and polish it until shines blindingly. The gameplay is immaculate, the controls are impeccable, and the graphics are absolutely lovely. The freshness and inventiveness is so welcomed. It's such a tight little package.

Here's hoping that Nintendo has learned their lesson well. This is the game 3DS should have shipped with at launch. As it is, it's a wonderful apology which I gleefully accept.

relaxor

what?
Really glad to hear all these reviews, I'll be picking it up for Christmas.

Especially happy to hear so many positive reactions of je ne se quoi, what I've always loved about Mario is his perfect control and tight level design. Mario games are good toys.

watershed

Banned
When streetpassing does the other person have to have 3d land as well or does just passing another 3ds enable the mystery bosses to reappear? Today I streetpassed someone but they didn't seem to have 3d land yet in my game all the mystery boxes reactivated.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Neiteio said:
If you don't hit the top of the flagpole, you don't get a yellow flag.

So that just means you've been playing like a boss. :)
Oh is that it? Any real OG Mario fan wouldn't move on from a stage until they got that 1up from the top of the flag pole AND make sure you jump on at
a number ending with 6. Does that do anything besides get you balloons? In Mario 3 that was how you unlocked ghost ships and secret toad houses.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Rocket Punch said:
This game is the definition of programming perfection. Pick a design and polish it until shines blindingly. The gameplay is immaculate, the controls are impeccable, and the graphics are absolutely lovely. The freshness and inventiveness is so welcomed. It's such a tight little package.

Here's hoping that Nintendo has learned their lesson well. This is the game 3DS should have shipped with at launch. As it is, it's a wonderful apology which I gleefully accept.
2 more days :(

Boogiepop

Gah, one more Star Coin to get, not counting the boxes, and it's the first one to really stump me. I still have my sparkly stars (without cheating it at all by going in/out or reloading, though I had some REALLY close calls), but this one is goddamn... s8-3, I believe.
The one with the Giant Cosmic Mario in the castle AND a timer
So there's not exactly a lot of time to explore, and it's VERY easy to die.
Not asking for an answer to WHERE it is, but are my sparkly stars still in danger even though this is bonus content?
Also, I'm guessing the total number of Star Coins is
, unless there are a LOT of boxes. So that would mean I need two more from boxes. Is it just street pass that respawns them?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
How rewarding life can be sometimes. My Son, who is six, quadruples my excitement for this game and mine is fairly high. He watched videos of it for over an hour. It is exactly how I acted while anticipating Super Mario 3.

Boogiepop

Got it, and that just wasn't fair, hiding the damn thing
in a breakable pillar.
Anyway, all Star Coins (ignoring the Boxes, I guess) and no super leaf appearing, total play time 8:32.
Still need to do
Luigi
and the golden flags for %100, but I may pull myself away from the game for at least a LITTLE bit first.
And
Tanooki Peach
was a neat little surprise.

I think this is the first time I really thought "wow, I'm gaming in 3D!". The game and 3D effect are incredible. At world 6 right now and so many locales are just beautiful.

Kai

Is it me or did anyone else notice how amazing the textures were at the last castle level toward the end when scaling the wall?

It was Galaxy quality - maybe because it was the only thing on screen so they could put that shimmer effect that make it look so good...

May have been mentioned already but for those who don't know by now:

The next time you visit a Blue Toad house that contains each photo at the beginning of a new World, view the photos and shake the system at the same time for something pretty cool

@MUWANdo

Banned
artwalknoon said:
When streetpassing does the other person have to have 3d land as well or does just passing another 3ds enable the mystery bosses to reappear? Today I streetpassed someone but they didn't seem to have 3d land yet in my game all the mystery boxes reactivated.

I know the Mii/Toad House thing works even if they don't have 3D Land, no idea about the mystery boxes.

watershed

Banned
@MUWANdo said:
I know the Mii/Toad House thing works even if they don't have 3D Land, no idea about the mystery boxes.
I see, Nintendo should do that more in future games. Offer one kind of streetpass content for a game based purely on exchanging any data with another 3ds then offer better content for exchanging data specific to the game. I think it will create more opportunities for successful streetpasses.

Top Bottom