• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Cetra

I'm at home, finally able to sit down and dig into Skyrim after an 80 hour work week. Yet, all I can think about is driving to work grabbing my 3DS from my desk, coming back home, and getting my platforming on. This game is way too good.

timnich

Is the S World a full set of worlds and levels? I feel like I'm getting through the game way too quickly but if that's only half the content then that's not too bad.

Roto13

Criminal Upper said:
P Wing and other "help" items don't show up in the S world.
Well, now I know. :p

Regarding Challenge Boxes: So it looks like they reset after a day. Or, rather, they're switched out with new random ones, meaning you can go back to Challenge Box places you've already cleared and potentially get more Star Coins. I got the game on Sunday and did the first three Challenge Boxes the first day and got Star Coins from them. Yesterday I went back and did them again and got more Star Coins. Today I went back again and didn't get a new Star Coin from the first box but did get new Star Coins from the second and third boxes. (Also from every other box I had cleared yesterday that had reset today.)

I also found myself in what appeared to be a special Challenge Box today. The walls were gold, there were no enemies, and there were two Star Coins floating in the air. There were also a bunch of dandelions, four hiding 1ups.

TheExodu5

Banned
Not impressed so far. The levels have been forgettable.

Just played 3-1...I don't think I've ever played such an unimpressive Mario level.

Zebra

I beat worlds 1 through 8 last night.

This game is my first 3DS game, so it's my first true test of the system, and I have to say that the 3D effect was really fucking up my eyes after a short while. It gave me a massive headache.

Now that I've cleared the first 8 worlds, I'm going back through them to 100% this half of the game, but I'm doing it all in 2D. I'm having no issues at all in 2D. I'm finding myself more dependent on watching my shadow to ace my landings, rather than being able to count on depth perception.

Berordn

Zebra said:
I beat worlds 1 through 8 last night.

This game is my first 3DS game, so it's my first true test of the system, and I have to say that the 3D effect was really fucking up my eyes after a short while. It gave me a massive headache.

Now that I've cleared the first 8 worlds, I'm going back through them to 100% this half of the game, but I'm doing it all in 2D. I'm having no issues at all in 2D. I'm finding myself more dependent on watching my shadow to ace my landings, rather than being able to count on depth perception.
The first experience you have with the 3D effect on the 3DS seems to give everyone a headache after an hour or so. You ease into it, so to speak, so don't worry too much about it the first time.

Tadale

This is the first 3DS game that actually doesn't bother me with extended 3D play. Starfox, Ocarina, and Pilotwings all gave me headaches after a couple hours.

Tadale said:
This is the first 3DS game that actually doesn't bother me with extended 3D play. Starfox, Ocarina, and Pilotwings all gave me headaches after a couple hours.

Do you guys play all your games with the slider all the way up? That's kinda overkill for an extended period of time.

Tadale said:

I felt the same way too, for awhile, but yesterday I began to feel seriously ill. This is all the more disappointing because I love the use of 3D in this game, whereas I usually don't care.

Javier

Zebra said:
That's common, as the first 3DS experience usually comes with a headache and/or eye pain for a lot of people (for me, it was only the latter), but after a while with using the 3D effect you adjust and play just fine.

Think of it as buying a new pair of glasses and taking a couple of days to adjust before your eyes get used to the new effect.

mooooose

This game is amazing. It can be easy but as long as you go for Star Coins and exploration it provides a decent challenge. 3D effect is by far the best out of any of the 3DS' library or software of any kind, and the graphics are awesome too. Art style is a good mix of the classic NSMB/Mario 3 and Galaxy. Gameplay is unlike any other.

A+, 10/10, 5 stars

My favorite Mario game ever possibly, and I haven't beaten the game. Just pure mystical fun and so many times the 3D effects coupled with amazing gameplay and level design have me with a huge grin on my face.

One dislike is the 1UPs. What the fuck. I have 95 and I'm on World 5.

Foffy

Banned
Berordn said:
The first experience you have with the 3D effect on the 3DS seems to give everyone a headache after an hour or so. You ease into it, so to speak, so don't worry too much about it the first time.

I never had a headache with the 3D. If anything, it made my eyes feel a little heavy, and that was for 40 minutes.

I'm more peeved about ghosting/double images on the system when there are contrasting colors when in 3D than the risk of headaches. It's why I only use 3D when it's forced on me. Ocarina of Time 3D sold me on not using the 3D for this reason.

mooooose

Foffy said:
I'm more peeved about ghosting/double images on the system when there are contrasting colors when in 3D than the risk of headaches. It's why I only use 3D when it's forced on me. Ocarina of Time 3D sold me on not using the 3D for this reason.
Yeah, Ocarina of Time really showed that the ghosting is terrible. This game doesn't suffer from it, nor does Street Fighter 4 or Star Fox 64. Pilotwings does but not even close to how bad Ocarina of Time is.

Roto13

RaidenZR said:
Has anyone found a really good use for the roll?
Quickly moving through confined spaces (like the ones in 1-2, for example), breaking bricks and hitting "?" blocks that are on the ground (especially ones lodged inside walls), and it's as good a way as any to take out enemies when you don't have a power up.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Ok, shit really starts getting real in the Special worlds.

So much for getting all the medals on my first playthrough of each stage.

Honestly, I have to eat a lot of crow here. I never thought this game would be bad but I have to say all the media and everything leading up to it had me pretty dissapointed and underwhelmed. However, I take this all back. This is steadily becoming one of my favorite Mario titles. I definetly prefer this over anything we got in the NSMB series and is so far the best handheld Mario by a lot.

TheExodu5 said:
Not impressed so far. The levels have been forgettable.

Just played 3-1...I don't think I've ever played such an unimpressive Mario level.
That just goes to show how different people's perspectives are. 3-1 for me was the start of when the levels start getting really interesting. However, for the original Galaxy it took me to world 4 to find levels that truly impressed me which is why I prefer Galaxy 2 over Galaxy 1.

Sinthetic

RaidenZR said:
Has anyone found a really good use for the roll?

Don't hold me to this, but I'm almost certain people who are going for extremely quick runs of each level will find a slick way of utilizing the roll into their run.

Speaking of rolling that is the only thing that annoys me. I feel it should damage some enemies like Goombas and there needs to be a way to stop it. I've died a few times by having to roll into something which sends me skyrocketing off the edge or skyrocketing into a Goomba that was off screen at the time.

Foffy said:
I never had a headache with the 3D. If anything, it made my eyes feel a little heavy, and that was for 40 minutes.

Wait, "ghosting" is a problem with the screen and not my eyes? I always thought that was a result of me not looking at the screen at the proper angle.

hatchx

Banned
Jimmy Stav said:
Wait, "ghosting" is a problem with the screen and not my eyes? I always thought that was a result of me not looking at the screen at the proper angle.

That can be a cause, but it will be more like one certain element is ghosting. A balloon in Pilotwings, for example, would appear twice. I always just fiddle with the 3D slider and it's fine. It's not really a big deal....then again I play:

30% of the time in 2D
50% of the time half 3D
20% time three-quarters 3D

I'll never play full.

Roto13

Wow, S5-5.
Tricky, tricky, tricky. A maze, with all of the Star Coins hidden inside of enemies. They have never been hidden inside of enemies before.

Berordn

Jimmy Stav said:
It can be, but it happens in any form of stereoscopic 3D where there's a sharp contrast between the foreground and the background.

Neiteio

timnich said:
Is the S World a full set of worlds and levels? I feel like I'm getting through the game way too quickly but if that's only half the content then that's not too bad.
The special world is an additional 48 levels, spread across eight new worlds, bringing the total worlds in the game to 16 and the total levels to 96. And every one of them is freaking amazing. Every. Single. One. Many of the special world levels are all-new, and the ones that are remixes are so different they feel all-new. It's not a weaksauce remix like the Galaxy comets; they're practically transformed. For example, a level with water now has lava; a level that was during the day is now at night with fireworks. And the enemies are changed up, new challenges are imposed (time limits,
Cosmic Mario
), the routes you take change, and more. All of them have three medals, too. A ton of work and polish went into every aspect of this game. It's dizzying to think that here is a game with nearly 100 levels, and every single one of them is endlessly fun and infinitely replayable.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Played the first 3 levels in the train: this is beautiful 0_o It's like holding a box full of candies when you are 5.

3DS is amazing: it begins!

Roto13

Just hit 400 lives. :p A lot of these are from
replaying level S1-1 for Stone Leaves, as there are three spots with invincibility stars in front of big crowds of enemies, two of those spots being right next to each other so you can keep your chain going. That's a lot of free 1ups.

TheExodu5

Banned
I really dislike the fact that you need to run for 1-2 seconds before you get a full jump. It's really not obvious at which point you hit full speed either. Before you hit that speed, your jumping distance is pitifully short.

Kai

I beat the game with 100% star coin and flag and now am 100% clearing the S world - at world 4 and I am just finding out about the ability to change the 3D?????

Up until now I have been playing the standard 3D (outward) anyone else choose the other one??

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Maybe my depth perception is bad or I just suck at this game, but I'm having a hell of a time completing 2-3. Using the propeller block suit to jump on goombas to make it to the next platform is extremely difficult for me.

TheExodu5

Banned
Up to 4-2 now (playing a level now and then at work). This is easily the blandest Mario game I've ver played. I probably prefer NSMB DS over this, at the moment. Not impressed one bit. This is nowhere near the level of NSMB Wii or the Galaxy games.

TheExodu5 said:
Up to 4-2 now (playing a level now and then at work). This is easily the blandest Mario game I've ver played. I probably prefer NSMB DS over this, at the moment. Not impressed one bit. This is nowhere near the level of NSMB Wii or the Galaxy games.

You're less than a quarter of the way through the game, give it some time.

e_i

Two days later and I'm in the third world already. Damn easy game...although the level in the second world with the flipping platforms drove me nuts. Died 20 times.

And really, Nintendo? Five levels per world. FIVE? There's supposed to eight per world. Is because the original two SML's had 4 levels per world?

Sinthetic

e_i said:
Two days later and I'm in the third world already. Damn easy game...although the level in the second world with the flipping platforms drove me nuts. Died 20 times.

And really, Nintendo? Five levels per world. FIVE? There's supposed to eight per world. Is because the original two SML's had 4 levels per world?

There's still damn near
levels in the game. That's a heck of a lot of content.

Roto13

AbsoluteZero said:
You're less than a quarter of the way through the game, give it some time.
Don't bother. He basically exists to complain about video games.
e_i said:

There's six levels per world. And 16 worlds.

Top Bottom