• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Kai said:
Is it me or did anyone else notice how amazing the textures were at the last castle level toward the end when scaling the wall?

It was Galaxy quality - maybe because it was the only thing on screen so they could put that shimmer effect that make it look so good...
3DS can push some pretty awesome textures. Zelda and Star Fox had some pretty awesome texture work in certain parts too.

I love how this game looks. I'm excited for Vita and obviously it will be able to have much more detailed visuals, but at least it's not like DS/ PSP where PSP had decent looking 3D games and a huge majority of 3D DS games looked like a blurry mess.

Cheesemeister said:
I think you have to clear Bowser's Castle in World 8 with Luigi before the icons start showing up.

I don't think tnat's it either. I just beat Bowser with Luigi and I don't see any icons.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Oni Link 666 said:
I don't think tnat's it either. I just beat Bowser with Luigi and I don't see any icons.
Oni Link 666 said:

That list can't be right. I currently have two shiny stars and I've only done ONE thing in the list:
star 1 Defeat bowser in world 8's final level
star 2 Beat every level as Mario
star 3 Beat every level as Luigi
star 4 Collect the gold flag on every level
star 5 Collect all star coins
I've only done the Star 1 requirement. I haven't beaten all the levels of the game yet, and thus I can't have gotten "2 or 3", nor 4 or 5.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Kai said:
Is it me or did anyone else notice how amazing the textures were at the last castle level toward the end when scaling the wall?

It was Galaxy quality - maybe because it was the only thing on screen so they could put that shimmer effect that make it look so good...
the 3D effect the system is capable of is certainly a double edged sword. it can both hinder and enhance the visual experience. Its definitely not without cost, though I wonder how good the visuals in this game would be without the system having to produce the image twice.

DavidDayton said:
Yeah, and I currently have 2 stars with only ONE "goal" on that list complete. That list can't be right.

Are you sure you didn't play every regular level with Mario before beating it? I know I did and got 2 stars after beating it the first time.

Kai

DavidDayton said:
That list can't be right. I currently have two shiny stars and I've only done ONE thing in the list:
star 1 Defeat bowser in world 8's final level
star 2 Beat every level as Mario
star 3 Beat every level as Luigi
star 4 Collect the gold flag on every level
star 5 Collect all star coins
I've only done the Star 1 requirement. I haven't beaten all the levels of the game yet, and thus I can't have gotten "2 or 3", nor 4 or 5.
This isn't right - just beat the normal game with all coins and golden flags and have 2 stars already...
Working on special now...

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Oni Link 666 said:
Are you sure you didn't play every regular level with Mario before beating it? I know I did and got 2 stars after beating it the first time.

Yeah, but that list says "every level" -- I haven't gotten near "every level", thus I couldn't have gotten a star for Mario. I still have
almost all the Special World
left that hasn't been touched by Mario.

Kai said:

Definitely not just you, I spent a minute just checking that exact part out, it looked great. It reminded me of the "rewards" for completing a Streetpass puzzle.

I think it may be indicative of Nintendo's graphical style on the 3DS: low res (naturally), a little low poly, with more modern shaders and decent textures. Has any other system been so capable with shaders while struggling so much with geometry? It's a very distinct look, and aside from the jaggies, I'm pleased overall with the system's capabilities, though Vita obviously wrecks it.

As for the game, I can't believe the lukewarm buzz had almost me fooled, it's great. Probably just a notch below the Galaxy games for me. It's going to sell a lot of systems, this holiday and probably a few after that. If the Japanese sales are any indication, it's going to do a great job of maintaining the momentum the Mario brand gained on the Wii and DS.

DavidDayton said:
Yeah, but that list says "every level" -- I haven't gotten near "every level", thus I couldn't have gotten a star for Mario. I still have
almost all the Special World
left that hasn't been touched by Mario.

Looks like the list is wrong on a few stars. From what I've been reading, you get a star from beating the special levels, one from getting all the star coins, and one from beating all the levels with Luigi AND getting all the gold flags. I guess the first two I got are from beating all the normal levels and beating Bowser, 'cause that's all I did.

watershed

Banned
Even though they are unrelated, playing this game makes me excited for the first original 3ds zelda game. I imagine Nintendo is making the game with the same ideas of portability, accessibility, and a marriage of 2d and 3d in mind. If its anywhere near as refined as 3d land it will be great.

I'm near the end of World 8, and although so far my initial concerns were right on the money (short easy levels, conservative aesthetic), the game excels in pretty much every other regard. The 8 direction control works surprisingly well, mostly because the levels are so perfectly designed around it. And man, are the levels well designed. It feels like the first 3D Mario to truly capture the essence of the 2D games. I know the development team talked about merging the two styles in interviews, but I had no idea they'd flat out nail it like they did. I would be happy if this became the new standard template for all 2D/3D platforming hybrids. Brevity of the levels aside, it really offers the best of all worlds.

I'm also glad to see how EAD Tokyo handled the power ups this time around. As much as I love the Galaxy games, the timed level exclusive power ups were a disappointment. It's great to see fireballs finally done justice in a 3D Mario. I also vastly prefer the music in this game to NSMB. The remixes range from good to amazing, and the Toad house music actually wrestled a big stupid grin from me. And although I'm not ecstatic that they're recycling a lot of level themes that have already been beaten to death in recent years, there are at least idiosyncratic touches here and there that help keep it from feeling as cut and dry as NSMB. I'd even go so far as to say a few of the levels look flat out amazing, like the
clockwork level in World 7. That was completely bad ass, and the effect when you're in the hallways set inside the wall is easily my favorite use of 3D in a 3DS game so far.

So overall I'm feeling pretty great about this one, and relieved that the game's shortcomings are more than balanced out by the sheer quality and ingenuity of the level design. There's something that just feels right about this one. I'm just holding out hope that the post game content doesn't lean too heavily on filler or rehashed levels.

Medalion

Banned
Im at world 5-2

This level is a top down level and seems A Link To The Past inspired... I am at a room that has a metal gate that won't open till I probably solve a puzzle... How odd... And time is running out

Medalion said:
Im at world 5-2

This level is a top down level and seems A Link To The Past inspired... I am at a room that has a metal gate that won't open till I probably solve a puzzle... How odd... And time is running out
Lol, you don't know how right you are. Wait until you solve it. :)

Medalion

Banned
I think I did it wrong... I ended up just going to the previous room and found another path to the finish... Not sure what I coulda done to open the gate... Unless I had a fire flower to light the four unlit torchs in the room

zoukka

Medalion said:
I think I did it wrong... I ended up just going to the previous room and found another path to the finish... Not sure what I coulda done to open the gate... Unless I had a fire flower to light the four unlit torchs in the room

hmmmm

Skilletor

Medalion said:

I'm not at the level, but lol.

Zelda indeed.

Medalion

Banned
Yep I was right, I had to go back to a previous level and stock up fire flower

It wasn't a requirement, but I got a star coin

Plus lovely
Zelda discovery tone
hah <3

Best Mario game in a long time

dc89

To get my Mario fix I've started to play Galaxy 2. My GF got it a few months back but i never played it until now.

I have to wait for this you see. :(

Medalion said:
Yep I was right, I had to go back to a previous level and stock up fire flower

It wasn't a requirement, but I got a star coin

Plus lovely
Zelda discovery tone
hah <3

Best Mario game in a long time
Some people were getting others for not spoiling this earlier, fyi.

Personally I don't think it's a huge deal, but it is really cool if you're not expecting it.

Medalion

Banned
dr3upmushroom said:
Some people were getting others for not spoiling this earlier, fyi.

Personally I don't think it's a huge deal, but it is really cool if you're not expecting it.
Wasnt sure, k i spoilered it

Stuneseht

Post Game Spoilers (for those who beat the first 8 worlds):
I really enjoyed the final fight with Bowser. I'm liking the direction that Nintendo is taking with these final fights; just like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, the final fight is purely platforming.

Nicktendo86

Glad to hear the initial lukewarm reaction seems to be slightly OTT. Cannto wait for this, and with Skyward Sword in the same week, I can't remember a better week in gaming.

pa22word

Ok, I found out the exact nature of how to get both
Mario and Luigi's letters on the bottom right
to let you know that you've cleared the level fully with
both of them.
You have to beat
both sets of worlds through S8-Castle
, then go back to 8-Castle and fight Bowser again. After this an "M" symbol will appear on all levels you've beaten with Mario
and an "L" will appear on all the levels you've cleared with Luigi. The number of stars on your save file should move from 2 to 3 after this.

Playing through all the normal levels again
as Luigi
just to get gold flags and man this game is incredibly easy when you ignore star coins, regular coins and 1ups. Just fly straight through it.

Sinthetic

Thankfully, my order has been processed by ShopTo and I don't have to be jealous of you guys for much longer. Get your best times in quick so I can shatter them.

Not sure if this was posted yet.. but..uh.. yea...

PETA set to lock horns with Nintendo over Tanooki Mario

Tanooki_1.jpg

It would appear the animal welfare activists over at PETA have either taken leave of their senses or have a genuine grievance towards endearing Nintendo mascot and portly Italian plumber Mario.

Moreover, newly released Nintendo 3DS videogame Super Mario 3D Land has raised PETA’s hackles due to that fact that its gameplay includes Mario utilizing special character abilities by donning a controversial Tanooki suit.

For those not willing to type Tanooki into Google, a Tanooki suit (in the real world) is fashioned from the fur of raccoon dogs, which are skinned alive to deprive them of their precious pelts.

“When on a mission to rescue the princess, Mario has been known to use any means necessary to defeat his enemies—even wearing the skin of a raccoon dog to give him special powers,” outlines PETA via its “Mario Kills Tanooki” website. “By wearing Tanooki, Mario is sending the message that it’s OK to wear fur.”

Highlighting its obvious displeasure regarding Nintendo’s apparent lack of sensitivity, PETA has even launched an online side-scrolling game called Super Tanooki Skin 2D, in which an angry skinned Tanooki pursues a be-suited and bloody Mario in an attempt to retrieve its fur.

With giant bloody Tanooki peppering its background, the game closely resembles prior classic Mario titles and ends with “@#&$ you Mario!” when Nintendo’s mascot is finally caught.

Although Nintendo has not yet issued any official comment regarding PETA’s complaint and controversial game, we here at Tech Herald Towers wouldn’t be at all surprised if it foregoes apology and/or content editing in favor of threatening legal action due to the use of its intellectual property without permission.

http://www.thetechherald.com/articl...o-lock-horns-with-Nintendo-over-Tanooki-Mario

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This game is praised as one of the finest Mario ever in all boards I frequent.

How would you personnaly rank it compared to its ancestors?

Roto13

I committed suicide a bunch of times in one of the S World levels I'd already cleared because I wanted to see the P Wing, but it (and the white leaf) never showed up. Do they not show up in the S World or do they just not show up in levels you've already cleared?

Roto13 said:
I committed suicide a bunch of times in one of the S World levels I'd already cleared because I wanted to see the P Wing, but it (and the white leaf) never showed up. Do they not show up in the S World or do they just not show up in levels you've already cleared?

P Wing and other "help" items don't show up in the S world.

Top Bottom