• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

TheExodu5

Banned
Roto13 said:
Don't bother. He basically exists to complain about video games.

Oh, I'm sorry I can't conform to everyone's standards on here. I praise games as much as I complain about others. If I have a negative opinion on a game I'm playing, I will voice it. I will voice my praise just as well.

So far, this game is not deserving my praise.

If I had to give any praise to this game, it's that I appreciate the direction they took with the "story". They kept it simple and are not wasting my time with it. All I'm left with is gameplay, which is what I want from my Mario games. Sadly, the game is just rather boring up until now.

It's cool, guys. He's allowed to voice his opinion on this stuff. It's too bad you're not enjoying it, Exodu5.

Anyway, one of my favorite parts even just right off the bat is that it is completely molded around the 3D. Were it just the 3D effect alone that's not much, but the camera work and level design would have been an incredible amount of work. This is no small feat!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
TheExodu5 said:
Oh, I'm sorry I can't conform to everyone's standards on here. I praise games as much as I complain about others. If I have a negative opinion on a game I'm playing, I will voice it. I will voice my praise just as well.

I saw you just said you'll skip Zelda SS because of its slow 30 first minutes. Are you having a bad day or something?

TheExodu5 said:

If I had to give any praise to this game, it's that I appreciate the direction they took with the "story". They kept it simple and are not wasting my time with it. All I'm left with is gameplay, which is what I want from my Mario games. Sadly, the game is just rather boring up until now.
Sorry you feel that way man, for me the game is simply fun in its purest form. I had more fun with this game than either of the Galaxy titles.

TheExodu5

Banned
Well, my opinion on the game may change. As has been said, I'm only 1/4 of the way through the game...maybe the bar gets raised significantly at some point. So far, it's just been forgettable. The only memorable level to me has been the one with the helicopter blocks and the 8-bit Mario cutouts.

marc^o^ said:
I saw you just said you'll skip Zelda SS because of its slow 30 first minutes. Are you having a bad day or something?

Maybe my comment was a little out of place and poorly explained...

Basically, I was incredibly offput by the 3 hours intro in Twilight Princess that it soured my opinion of the game. I played the first dungeon and had fun, but then it threw me back into the intro/bug collecting garbage and I just said "forget it". I do not like it when a game wastes my time. When people said the intro was like Twilight Princess, but with even more cinematics, I simply assumed the worst (more than 3 hours this time around).

Teknoman

TheExodu5 said:
Up to 4-2 now (playing a level now and then at work). This is easily the blandest Mario game I've ver played. I probably prefer NSMB DS over this, at the moment. Not impressed one bit. This is nowhere near the level of NSMB Wii or the Galaxy games.

Its really fun to me, but so far the stage themes arent really grabbing me either. It looks nice, but need some more diverse stage themes. I just reached the first Ghost House, really liked the prop block and pyramid areas though. And of course the normal grass places.

Aeana

TheExodu5 said:
Well, my opinion on the game may change. As has been said, I'm only 1/4 of the way through the game...maybe the bar gets raised significantly at some point. So far, it's just been forgettable. The only memorable level to me has been the one with the helicopter blocks and the 8-bit Mario cutouts.
I really liked the world 1 castle. I was actually totally in nerd heaven, seeing the SMB1 castle concept redone in such a way.

TheExodu5

Banned
Aeana said:
I really liked the world 1 castle. I was actually totally in nerd heaven, seeing the SMB1 castle concept redone in such a way.

I did enjoy that, actually. Loved the throwback during the boss battle with Bowser.

Andrex said:
Games are wastes of time in general, Exodu5. ;)

As long as I enjoy my time, they're a good waste of time. :)

I don't hate the game. It's simply not meeting my lofty expectations regarding Mario games. I hold this series to a different standard than other games in the genre.

Chorazin

About halfway through World 8, and I'm pretty sure this is my favorite Mario game since 64. Every level just puts a smile on my face, and the controls are perfect.

The pop-out 3D on 5-2 was spectacular, make sure you play that one with the Upper 3D option selected!

e_i

Roto13 said:
There's six levels per world. And 16 worlds.

Ah...okay. 16 worlds? Damn. Much better. I was wondering because I'm finding the levels too easy, but I'm not even a 1/5 of the way through.

Poyunch

I really enjoy how short the levels are. The reason I never completely finished the Galaxy games was because I never bothered with the second playthrough because the levels were too long for me.

Roto13

e_i said:
Ah...okay. 16 worlds? Damn. Much better. I was wondering because I'm finding the levels too easy, but I'm not even a 1/5 of the way through.
Yeah, it really does seem like a short game when you first start playing. The second half of the game is a secret. :p And it does get quite a bit harder. I'm at the 15th world and it's not tear-your-hair-out hard, but it's definitely a step up in difficulty from the main game.

zigg

TheExodu5 said:
Well, my opinion on the game may change. As has been said, I'm only 1/4 of the way through the game...maybe the bar gets raised significantly at some point. So far, it's just been forgettable.

I mean that's really fair, when it comes down to it. It's a solid game, and I'm having a lot of fun with it personally, but the first half is Galaxy Lite at best and really didn't do much to make it memorable like both Galaxy games did—each hit the ground running and just got better from there.

zigg said:
I mean that's really fair, when it comes down to it. It's a solid game, and I'm having a lot of fun with it personally, but the first half is Galaxy Lite at best and really didn't do much to make it memorable like both Galaxy games did—each hit the ground running and just got better from there.
It's memorable to me because it's basically everything I love about 2D and 3D Mario games in one package. It's just a concentrated shot of glorious gameplay that simultaneously reminds me of how much I loved the older Mario games (and especially the old Mario Land titles) and the newer 3D iterations.

PounchEnvy said:
I really enjoy how short the levels are. The reason I never completely finished the Galaxy games was because I never bothered with the second playthrough because the levels were too long for me.

I don't get when people say this. Why would anyone enjoy short levels? If it's fun, why would it seem like a chore to play through a longer level?

I just like a lot of substance in a level. I even thought most of the levels in the Galaxy games were kind of short.

TheCongressman1 said:
I don't get when people say this. Why would anyone enjoy short levels? If it's fun, why would it seem like a chore to play through a longer level?
You wouldn't mind a Mario level that took an hour to complete? How about 12 hours? How about a day? If you have an ideal limit then you should be able to see how others might have a shorter one.

I like the shorter levels in 3D Land as well.

Peru

The shorter the are, the more densely packed they tend to be. Like SMB3, I want the levels to be intensely creative and not drawn-out, and I like the fact that I can run through levels and have the game keep changing pace.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm working on my fifth shiny star.

The level design in special world is really well done. It's basically the perfect match up of SMB3 and SMG2. The 3D effect is both helpful and mind blowing. Tanooki powers (either form) is basically cheat mode on most levels.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Man God said:
I'm working on my fifth shiny star.

The level design in special world is really well done. It's basically the perfect match up of SMB3 and SMG2. The 3D effect is both helpful and mind blowing. Tanooki powers (either form) is basically cheat mode on most levels.
Just like the flying abilities in SMB3 and SMW?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
EloquentM said:
Just like the flying abilities in SMB3 and SMW?

In a different way, but yes. You can avoid quite a few challenges by floating over them but the real advantage it gives you is precision jumping power.

The_Darkest_Red said:
You wouldn't mind a Mario level that took an hour to complete? How about 12 hours? How about a day? If you have an ideal limit then you should be able to see how others might have a shorter one.

Geez, man. I'm not ripping anyone's opinion, I'm just saying I don't understand it. I've always thought longer levels were better because they don't take you out of the action too soon.

For instance, in Galaxy, a lot of times I would feel like I was really into a level, and suddenly it was all over. It's a bit jarring to me. Sometimes shorter is better, but I don't see much need to break up the action like they do in Mario. Especially in Galaxy and 3D land, where most of the themes and mechanics work fine in the same abstract environment.

TheCongressman1 said:

I just like a lot of substance in a level. I even thought most of the levels in the Galaxy games were kind of short.

Because it's a portable game. If I want to load it up and play for a 15-minute period the short levels means I can feel like I've accomplished something in that short period of time.

TheExodu5

Banned
I enjoy short levels. The level length in this game varies wildly, though. Some levels are completable in around 20 seconds (like 3-1), while others take 2-3 minutes. It's weird.

TheCongressman1 said:
Geez, man. I'm not ripping anyone's opinion, I'm just saying I don't understand it. I've always thought longer levels were better because they don't take you out of the action too soon.

For instance, in Galaxy, a lot of times I would feel like I was really into a level, and suddenly it was all over. It's a bit jarring to me. Sometimes shorter is better, but I don't see much need to break up the action like they do in Mario. Especially in Galaxy and 3D land, where most of the themes and mechanics work fine in the same abstract environment.
I wasn't trying to sound hostile, sorry if it came off that way, I was just trying to make the point that you probably have some limit regarding how long you want your Mario levels to be. Everyone else does as well, and in this case their ideal limit is simply shorter than yours.

For what it's worth I don't mind the length of Galaxy's levels either, I just enjoy the level design in 3D Land more. Everything is more concentrated and packed with well-thought out content. It's not that the Galaxy games aren't well designed, they are just designed in a slightly different way. I think both are done extremely well and which one you prefer is just a matter of personal taste. What you find jarring in 3D Land I find refreshing and exciting.

Also, enjoying short levels is nothing new for me, Super Meat Boy is probably my favorite platformer of all time. :)

AbsoluteZero said:
Because it's a portable game. If I want to load it up and play for a 15-minute period the short levels means I can feel like I've accomplished something in that short period of time.

I get that, but I'm talking about it in general since he said he thought Galaxy's levels were a bit too long. It's fine for this game, I'm sure.

Sinthetic

The short levels are fine, we all know huge gaming sessions are out on 3DS due to the battery and impact of 3D on our eyes. It's a good design choice for the system.

The_Darkest_Red said:
What you find jarring in 3D Land I find refreshing and exciting.

I haven't gotten to play it yet, so it may be fine in this game. It's just that when I sit down to play a home console game, I expect a little longer experience.

TheCongressman1 said:
I haven't gotten to play it yet, so it may be fine in this game. It's just that when I sit down to play a home console game, I expect a little longer experience.
I understand man, and I definitely feel that way about certain games as well. Hopefully you'll enjoy the short levels in 3D Land.

The_Darkest_Red said:
I understand man, and I definitely feel that way about certain games as well. Hopefully you'll enjoy the short levels in 3D Land.

I hope so. The game looks fantastic. I even went to Best Buy last saturday to play the demo, but their 3DS was busted! It made me pretty sad.

TheExodu5

Banned
Stage 5-1 (first stage with the Boomerang suit). Now this is what I expect out of a Mario game.

World 4 castle was laughable. I swear it felt like it was 20 seconds long. (yes it was longer, but only because of the slow scroll...the level was literally two sets of platforms and a rolling pin you had to jump over)

hatchx

Banned
TheCongressman1 said:

I'm with you. The levels in Galaxy always felt too short...maybe because they were so fun.

Of course with 3D Land it is a handheld so I am fine with super short burst plays. It makes sense on a handheld.

HOWEVER, I'd be so down with the new Mario being one incredibly long level (no stopping, just starting from the castle and off you go!)

hatchx said:
HOWEVER, I'd be so down with the new Mario being one incredibly long level (no stopping, just starting from the castle and off you go!)
So kind of like a cross between Mario 64 and the DS games (in overworld composition)?

hatchx

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Stage 5-1 (first stage with the Boomerang suit). Now this is what I expect out of a Mario game.

World 4 castle was laughable. I swear it felt like it was 20 seconds long. (yes it was longer, but only because of the slow scroll...the level was literally two sets of platforms and a rolling pin you had to jump over)

GLAD TO HEAR!

I was the same dude, at first I was like 'really...this is so....easy...and...short?' I was intentionlly skipping special coins in order to force me to replay them.

I'm on world 10 now. This may be my favorite 3D Mario. It's so simple and to the point. Galaxy's had purple coins, repeat levels, stupid bomb challenges, questionable (and very short) bird levels. 3D Land, so far, is utter perfection, even if it is quite easy at first.

hatchx

Banned
Hollywood Duo said:
So kind of like a cross between Mario 64 and the DS games (in overworld composition)?

Or a never-ending level from 3D Land. Once in a while it puts you in an N64-size level to collect 5 stars to carry on the linear path.

When you are done snow, fire, water, grass, desert, tropical you head to space.

Less random than Galaxy. More coherent as a world.

....I'd also like to see an open world mario. Not sure how that would work.

Teknoman

I'll say there is alot of unlockable stuff in the game for multiple post game playthroughs. Nintendo restarted the trend for their games with Mass Attack, Return to Dreamland, Skyward Sword, and 3D land, hopefully they keep it up.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
There are only three things I'm not liking about this game right so far:

1) No scores. Coins aren't as satisfying, and 1up's are easy.
2) No 8-way direction guides on the 3DS stick. Not the game's fault, but still Nintendo's.
3) The help items come out too early. I intentionally play recklessly, looking for hidden items, big jumps, and shortcuts. I don't like the implication that I need help.

I'm glad to hear that the game is longer than it first appears.

hatchx said:
Or a never-ending level from 3D Land. Once in a while it puts you in an N64-size level to collect 5 stars to carry on the linear path.

....I'd also like to see an open world mario. Not sure how that would work.

The thought of this is insane and awesome. I guess, from a development standpoint, you'd have to find a way to stream the content instead of having level breaks and an overworld map. Just one giant level from beginning to end would make for one fascinating Mario game.

hatchx said:

My dream for a while has been an open-world Mario game. It would be focused on exploration while keeping the platforming element intact.

Picture the map for Mario World. Now picture actually running through the map exploring for the castles. Amazing.

Teknoman

hatchx said:

On an unrelated note, thats exactly what I was trying to do with my LBP2 stage set (right down to the themes except switch desert and tropical with mountain and jungle).

Boogiepop

Honestly, the only thing that annoys me is that the Boomerang Suit can't go into its shell. I mean, just replace the roll with that, ala NSMB and it would be so much more amazing! Or at least let us throw more than 1 boomerang at a time, because as is it just feels like the weakest of the suits.

TheCongressman1 said:
My dream for a while has been an open-world Mario game. It would be focused on exploration while keeping the platforming element intact.

Picture the map for Mario World. Now picture actually running through the map exploring for the castles. Amazing.

I see it as something much more like Ico. Design a world that acts as one giant puzzle. Add in classic Mario themes "fire, desert and water". Put it all together into a cohesive experience that doesn't require the player to jump back to a hub map.

DoctorWho said:
I see it as something much more like Ico. Design a world that acts as one giant puzzle. Add in classic Mario themes "fire, desert and water". Put it all together into a cohesive experience that doesn't require the player to jump back to a hub map.

I don't know about this. Mario's never really been focused around puzzles. That's why I think the challenge should be from pure platforming instead. Something like that would be great for Zelda though.

I agree about not jumping back to a hub. It just breaks the experience for me.

Roto13

JJConrad said:
There are only three things I'm not liking about this game right so far:

2) No 8-way direction guides on the 3DS stick. Not the game's fault, but still Nintendo's.
3) The help items come out too early. I intentionally play recklessly, looking for hidden items, big jumps, and shortcuts. I don't like the implication that I need help.

I'm glad to hear that the game is longer than it first appears.
The game tracks your clear times and starts showing them when you beat world 8.

zigg

JJConrad said:
Apart from the fact that clear times are tracked (and shown after you clear the first part of the game), I was pretty damn thrilled the pointless score was gone. It made sense in SMB, but it made none in NSMB with saving available, basically. I like coins better for this purpose.

JJConrad said:
An octo-cutout would make it impossible for the game to use a view other than straight-on or 45°. Without the cutout, they can use any camera angle.

I do kinda get what you mean, though. I do find myself accidentally going in the wrong direction sometimes because there is no feedback, and this game's level design demands precision, so that's bad.

JJConrad said:
After you clear the first bit, they won't come anymore. Or so I've heard. They definitely aren't in the second half of the game.

Top Bottom