• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

TheCongressman1 said:
I don't know about this. Mario's never really been focused around puzzles. That's why I think the challenge should be from pure platforming instead. Something like that would be great for Zelda though.
This. Please don't Zelda-fy my Mario. I'm one of the few people on the board that isn't really into Zelda games. Currently going through Spirit Tracks and finding some of the dungeons really tough!

Roto13

I love Zelda more than I love Mario, but yeah, turning Mario into the kind of game with a bunch of puzzles is a terrible idea.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
O_O The last level in
Special
World 7.
It was a castle level with a 30 second starting timer and giant Cosmic Mario. Getting the Star Coins was tricky. Thank god Dry Bowser didn't show up at the end. (Though I secretly wish he did for that extra challenge.)

EDIT:
S8-1
fucked with my head.
I'm not used to running right to left from the start, and cosmic Mario + 30 second timer didn't give me time to think.
It was a good level though.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
zigg said:
Apart from the fact that clear times are tracked (and shown after you clear the first part of the game), I was pretty damn thrilled the pointless score was gone. It made sense in SMB, but it made none in NSMB with saving available, basically. I like coins better for this purpose.
I find the coins completely pointless. So there's no incentive to beat an enemy instead of just ignoring them.

An octo-cutout would make it impossible for the game to use a view other than straight-on or 45°. Without the cutout, they can use any camera angle.

I do kinda get what you mean, though. I do find myself accidentally going in the wrong direction sometimes because there is no feedback, and this game's level design demands precision, so that's bad.
The game uses a built in cutout that doesn't always match up to the direct you're facing. I just hope they don't make the same mistake with the WiiU tablet.

After you clear the first bit, they won't come anymore. Or so I've heard. They definitely aren't in the second half of the game.
Good. That pig in DKCR has soured me on these things... I hate him soooo much!

jarosh

oh, so there is indeed analog movement and even analog sensitivity for the walking speed in certain areas. huh. strange. it dynamically switches based on the level design. i'm sure that's old news by now though, i haven't been following this thread or read any reviews. can anyone confirm?

jarosh said:
oh, so there is indeed analog movement and even analog sensitivity for the walking speed in certain areas. huh. strange. it dynamically switches based on the level design. i'm sure that's old news by now though, i haven't been following this thread or read any reviews. can anyone confirm?
Why do you say that? I've started paying attention and I haven't found an area yet that's not 8-way.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeah, I'm really not liking these jumping physics. If you're not moving, you barely jump at all. From a standstill, you can't even jump onto a 2 high block unless you do a duck-jump. You have to at least be running for a split second to get any height out of your jump, and 1-2 seconds to get maximum height. It's unpredictable and annoying, and Mario feels very sluggish as a result. The breakpoints are not clear like they were in, say, Super Mario World.

jarosh

dr3upmushroom said:
Why do you say that? I've started paying attention and I haven't found an area yet that's not 8-way.
why i said it? because it's true. are you telling me that no one else has noticed that? that's hard to believe. i wouldn't make something like that up. if necessary and if no one else will confirm that they've noticed it too, i will take a video to prove it.

edit: a good example would be the ground area in 3-1. try it.

Barrett2

TheExodu5 said:
Yeah, I'm really not liking these jumping physics. If you're not moving, you barely jump at all. From a standstill, you can't even jump onto a 2 high block unless you do a duck-jump. You have to at least be running for a split second to get any height out of your jump, and 1-2 seconds to get maximum height. It's unpredictable and annoying, and Mario feels very sluggish as a result. The breakpoints are not clear like they were in, say, Super Mario World.

I was thinking the same thing. Jumping feels a bit stiff.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
AWW YEAH!

Just cleared the
Special World
S8-Castle
was a bit of a let down, but it was still challenging. I think
S8-5
easily wins the "Twitchy Thumb" award.
It's an airship level with very fast rotating platforms. Tricky enough on its own. Now add giant Cosmic Mario to the mix.

I'm not sure why I had to revisit the final level in World 8 at the end. It seemed to be the exact same thing. I think they just wanted another reason to roll the credits. :p

I've also gotten every single Star Coin in the entire game. I wish more of them were well hidden instead of just requiring precise jumping, but that's my opinion.

Next up:
Luigi time!

mooooose

This game feels like an event. I haven't felt this way in a long time. My fondest gaming "events" were all DS related. Makes me pumped for Mario Kart 7 and makes me wish Ouendan 3/EBA 2 were coming... :(

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
mooooose said:
This game feels like an event. I haven't felt this way in a long time. My fondest gaming "events" were all DS related. Makes me pumped for Mario Kart 7 and makes me wish Ouendan 3/EBA 2 were coming... :(
They are, as eShop titles with DLC tracks.

Believe.

jarosh said:
why i said it? because it's true. are you telling me that no one else has noticed that? that's hard to believe. i wouldn't make something like that up. if necessary and if no one else will confirm that they've noticed it too, i will take a video to prove it.

edit: a good example would be the ground area in 3-1. try it.
Well, you asked if anyone could confirm it, so you didn't exactly seem sure of yourself.

I'm almost certain you're wrong too, you definitely are with 3-1 anyway. I can see why you think it's not 8-way, but it definitely isn't. It's just that since the camera is constantly moving and revolving around you the direction any given direction makes you go is constantly changing relative to the camera position. The transition between switching directions is already really smooth, so it feels like it's not 8-way, but like I said it's just because the camera is changing position, which also changes which way a given direction will make you go, which is why if you hold one direction you basically go in a circle rather than a straight line.

Anyway, I've been digging into the endgame content and so far it's really, really good.
3-5, which is a more challenging rendition of the level where the blocks appear and disappear is probably my favorite level so far. I'm kind of mixed on the airship levels, I'm really glad they didn't just throw in the same lame bosses again, but I was hoping that they'd have two new bosses for the special worlds. The levels themselves have been really fun though, so I'm not complaining.

The difficulty is pretty much perfect at this point, things are pretty consistently tense but I'm not dying very often. This game blew away my expectations to a ridiculous degree, it's definitely one of my favorite Mario games at this point.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Beyond the game virtues, what Nintendo achieved with the 2D & 3D Mario design merging is pure GENIUS. It works perfectly. 3D display on top of that is a delicious cherry on the cake.

Mario Land 3D looks... different, different than anything else, on any console. The depth makes it organic, it's alive, right there in the palm of your hands. Clearly the 3DS visual showcase so far! This is 3D done right :)

loosus

Banned
marc^o^ said:
Beyond the game virtues, what Nintendo achieved with the 2D & 3D Mario design merging is pure GENIUS. It works perfectly. 3D display on top of that is a delicious cherry on the cake.

Mario Land 3D looks... different, different than anything else, on any console. The depth makes it organic, it's alive, right there in the palm of your hands. Clearly the 3DS visual showcase so far! This is 3D done right :)
It looks okay, but what you're saying is definitely hyperbole to a high degree. It isn't that special.

Roto13

Finished the Special worlds, got all of the star coins, now I've moved on to playing as Luigi. I have most of the gold flags, but not all of them. I also obviously haven't finished all of the levels as Luigi. I have four stars on my save file so obviously the list of star requirements posted on GameFAQs is wrong. :p

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I think it does look special. It striked me in the bowser castle when flames were coming at me from the distance, another time with the sense of vertigo. There are moments like that which makes me smile, feeling impressed by the 3D visual effects effectiveness. Also, I love depth, which this game relies so much on :)

marc^o^ said:
I think it does look special. It striked me in the bowser castle when flames were coming at me from the distance, another time with the sense of vertigo. There are moments like that which makes me smile, feeling impressed by the 3D visual effects effectiveness. Also, I love depth, which this game relies so much on :)
I mentioned this earlier, but if you flip jump to get on top of the bricks at the very beginning of 5-2 and then jump, Mario goes right up into the screen and the effect is really, really cool.

loosus said:
It looks okay, but what you're saying is definitely hyperbole to a high degree. It isn't that special.
So, what I've gathered from your posts in this thread:

- 3DS' OS is pure and utter shit
- Galaxy games sucked
- No high praise for this game allowed. Controls are okay, get rid of third dimension.

Never change loosus, never change.

Souldriver said:
So, what I've gathered from your posts in this thread:

- 3DS' OS is pure and utter shit
- Galaxy games sucked
- No high praise for this game allowed. Controls are okay, get rid of third dimension.

Never change loosus, never change.
Eh, I love this game and think it looks amazing but I agree with him. To me the 3D in this game doesn't look any different than Zelda or Star Fox. I think they all look great, and the 3D does jive well with Mario's aesthetic, but it's not like the 3D in Mario is mindblowing in some way that other games haven't been. I think people are praising it more in this game because it helps judge distance and spacing for jumps, which is unique to this game so far, but beyond that saying that the 3D in Mario is somehow leaps and bounds beyond what we've seen before doesn't have any base other than being excited about Mario IMO.

tim.mbp

This game killed my 3DS. Was at the final Bowser castle, there was a loud pop, my system shutdown and will no longer power on. At least it's under warranty. Sucks that I was so close to playing the Special Worlds. On the bright side, I can turn my undivided attention to Skyward Sword soon.

watershed

Banned
Beat the game last night, amazing game. I feel like the game succeeds in everything it tries to do. The level design is more refined and dense than what we've seen before and it makes for non-stop platforming fun. Even the controls and the use of a run button had me worried at first but it works great. Letting go of the run button to slow mario down instead of using the slide pad is really effective. I think the run button compensates for the limited range of the slide pad. The final level is amazing especially the visuals. The game is pure fun.

I'm having a blast with this game. 6 worlds in so far.

But man is it fucking easy. I've rarely died, and I've been collecting all the gold star coins. Plus I have like... 85 lives.

Not that I mind. If it is easy then so be it. I'm still having fun.

I'm really loving the level design, and music. Boomerang is a cool powerup. I also like the heliblock hat.

onipex

Just picked up this game today and I can't stop smiling while I am playing it. Its the perfect mix of 2D and 3D Mario to me so far. I just love it.

Roto13

I can't stop playing. I'm really glad I have to go through the game as Luigi to really finish it. :p

You know, I'm not sure it's possible to unlock the last Special level without collecting every star coin in the levels and doing all available challenge boxes AND doing some of them a second time.

pa22word

Okay, I'm on
S7 with luigi and have gold flagged everything up to it, and have all the start coins but 4 or so in S8.
I'll let you guys know how the
final level goes
here in an hour or so :D

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Can you get gold flags on the castle/ship levels? I have tried and have yet to get a gold on them. I'm getting a bit miffed...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
EloquentM said:
roll + long jump is your friend.

I guess I'll just go back later and enjoy the game. I don't want to overplay levels and find myself not enjoying what else there is to play. On 3-2 right now...Game isn't very difficult, isn't very long, but is seriously a CRAZY fun experience. I would buy infinite sequels to this.

EloquentM said:
roll + long jump is your friend.
Or just use the tanooki suit.

Has anyone posted impressions of whatever you unlock after you get 100%? I probably won't get there until the end of the week, and I don't want it spoiled completely but I'm wondering if people have thought it's worth the time and effort so far, or whether it's a fitting conclusion for the game.

I know I would have done everything required anyway (not at the rate I'm going to do it to unlock the last thing, but eventually I would have) so whatever it is is just an icing on the cake kind of thing, but I'm hoping it's as cool as the Galaxy 2 end surprise.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
dr3upmushroom said:
Or just use the tanooki suit.

Has anyone posted impressions of whatever you unlock after you get 100%? I probably won't get there until the end of the week, and I don't want it spoiled completely but I'm wondering if people have thought it's worth the time and effort so far, or whether it's a fitting conclusion for the game.

I know I would have done everything required anyway (not at the rate I'm going to do it to unlock the last thing, but eventually I would have) so whatever it is is just an icing on the cake kind of thing, but I'm hoping it's as cool as the Galaxy 2 end surprise.
I can't even keep a tanooki suit more than two levels lol.

DeVeAn

AbsoluteZero said:
Figures that the stage I get the invincibility leaf on is the one right before the last castle.
Hey thanks for the tip earlier about changing the 3D with the D pad. Made it so I can play in 3D all the time!

EloquentM said:
I can't even keep a tanooki suit more than two levels lol.
If you're having trouble getting gold flags (or just want to have it handy for when you see a coin that requires it) a handy thing is to have it as your backup, touch screen item and don't use it until you actually get to where you need it. Then try to find another powerup to swap it back to the touch screen so you always have it.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I do wish nintendo would bring a proper score system back.

integrating it with online leaderboards would really up the replay value. optimizing level runs for high scores would be a blast.

think of the GBC SMB game. one of the most fun mario games ever because of the score, secret, coin replays. all mario games should have this in one way or another.

medals for speed, medals for score, plus the usual coins/secrets would be godly.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
dr3upmushroom said:
If you're having trouble getting gold flags (or just want to have it handy for when you see a coin that requires it) a handy thing is to have it as your backup, touch screen item and don't use it until you actually get to where you need it. Then try to find another powerup to swap it back to the touch screen so you always have it.
I have no trouble getting gold flags. like I said a simple roll long jump combo will get you a gold flag every time. I just die a lot in platformers as I'm not very cautious or patient in these types of games.

just have to finish the rest of the special worlds with mario and luigi and I'm done. I'm currently on sw-5!

Top Bottom